Forums > Model Colloquy > Posing golden rules

Model

ClaytonCDavis

Denton, Texas, US

So is there sort of a list of best practices for posing? Like a list of things you should always do/be aware of, and a list of things you should never do?

Male specific would be great but not necessary.

Also, is there a resource for posing tips anyone can recommend?

Thank you,

Clay

Jan 04 18 11:20 am Link

Model

Laura UnBound

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Not really, as everyones project is going to require something different. Some people will insist you should never look directly at the camera, but obviously someone trying to shoot your portrait or do glamour work or something will disagree. Some people say to always point your toes, sit up straight, stick your chest out and suck your stomach in, but others want to capture something "natural" and less posed.

It's good to practice and know what looks good for YOUR body, but ultimately you may need to listen to whatever the photographer is asking you to do instead. In general, try to remain aware of what all your parts are doing. I have a habit of separating my pinky fingers out from the rest of my hand in a weird way - I don't know why - so I always have to keep that in mind if my hands are going to be visible and make sure to consciously place my fingers in a more natural looking way for each shot. People are often very stiff in their hands and instead clench their fingers all together and try to keep them perfectly straight. Same with feet, hands and feet seem to always be an afterthought. Be aware of where your limbs are going - if you're hiding an arm behind you or making a leg look amputated. A lot of "interesting" poses just look like you've broken something, sometimes less is better. Just know what your body looks like when you bend and twist and fold - what bulges, what wrinkles, what stretches, etc. Those aren't always bad things you should avoid of course, but you should have an idea of what its going to look like and if its the appropriate look for what you're shooting.

Jan 04 18 01:56 pm Link

Model

ClaytonCDavis

Denton, Texas, US

Thank you.

And probably the only way to gain the awareness of what your body looks like in a given pose...is to pose. Guess I'll have get in front of a mirror and get fabulous with myself.

Jan 04 18 04:26 pm Link

Photographer

G Reese

Marion, Indiana, US

If I may add. There are often props on set you may be expected to interact with. So, maybe add a chair, coat rack or some such to practice with.

G Reese

Jan 04 18 04:58 pm Link