Forums > Model Colloquy > Does it make much sense...

Model

JT99

Saint Paul, Minnesota, US

...to have a drawing-only profile like I do?

I pretty much stick to costumed or nude figure modeling, not photography - though I'm not opposed to the latter.  Maybe there are other drawing-other models' profiles on MM but I haven't seen any yet.

Jan 06 18 04:43 pm Link

Photographer

FIFTYONE PHOTOGRAPHY

Uniontown, Pennsylvania, US

JT99 wrote:
Does it make much sense......to have a drawing-only profile like I do?

Nope.

An Artist will want to see You the Model, not another Artists' impression of You.

fwiw

Jan 06 18 04:47 pm Link

Model

JT99

Kinda what I figured.  Thanks.

Still working on getting something better than a selfie for the gallery...

Jan 06 18 04:51 pm Link

Artist/Painter

Hunter GWPB

King of Prussia, Pennsylvania, US

JT99 wrote:
...to have a drawing-only profile like I do?

I pretty much stick to costumed or nude figure modeling, not photography - though I'm not opposed to the latter.  Maybe there are other drawing-other models' profiles on MM but I haven't seen any yet.

Ah, you're back. 

If you are trying to work the art/life model side of it, I don't see it as a problem.  There is a huge difference in modeling fees for a photo model compared to an art model.  There is a difference in the way the two model.  By having a drawing, you are telling artists right up front that you can be still.  But you should have something in your port that tells people what you look like, rather than an artist's rendering, as fifty one said. 

If you are trying to attract photographers, go with a photo.

Jan 06 18 05:23 pm Link

Model

JT99

Thanks for the advice.  I uploaded a couple of older shots to do just that.

"I'm back"?  Hopefully my first visit wasn't TOO memorable - at least not for the wrong reasons, haha!

Jan 06 18 05:44 pm Link

Model

Gelsen Aripia

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

You might want to ask one of the students (or perhaps the instructor) at your next life drawing session to take some shots of you while you are posing, and then put some of those up in your portfolio until you get some better photos...

Jan 06 18 08:55 pm Link

Model

JT99

Good idea.  Plus it would be good to get a few photos showing a range of poses, or perhaps matching some of the drawings.  Eventually I’ll probably replace everything, but suppose what’s there is better than nothing.  For now.

Jan 07 18 12:24 am Link

Photographer

Rays Fine Art

New York, New York, US

You might go here: https://www.modelmayhem.com/browse/phot … _counter=7

There are 822 photographers on Model Mayhem within  50 miles of Minneapolis- It's unlikely that at least one or two would be interested in shooting a few male nudes for reference photos.  Why not find one willing to work a trade or simply post an availability notice or do both?  Seems to me there's not much point to being a part of a community without using the facilities it offers.

Jan 07 18 03:51 pm Link

Model

JT99

That's a great point; I have posted my availability and am starting to reach out to available photographers.  Hopefully something will turn up soon.

Jan 08 18 07:25 pm Link

Model

MatureModelMM

Detroit, Michigan, US

Eugenya wrote:
You might want to ask one of the students (or perhaps the instructor) at your next life drawing session to take some shots of you while you are posing, and then put some of those up in your portfolio until you get some better photos...

That's exactly what I did when I first started out back in 1987 and there was no internet but we worked from print portfolios.  I would get the leader of a drawing session, the instructor in a college class, or even one of the artists or students to take several photos of my various poses during the session and then use those as reference shots for applying to new places.  In your specific case, that could get you some usable shots of yourself posing in a class to add to your modeling portfolio.

Jan 08 18 08:07 pm Link

Model

JT99

Thanks, I’ll do just that.  I’m a bit embarrassed about the low quality of the photos in my portfolio thus far but had to hit at least 4 in addition to the drawings.

Jan 09 18 05:14 pm Link