Forums > Photography Talk > Give Credit Where Credit is Due

Photographer

VISION Photography

Los Angeles, California, US

Hello all,

I've been noticing lately that a lot of photographers don't give credit to the models and other talent involved with work displayed here. I'm sure there could be a few reasons as to why, such as the talent shown is not on MM or likewise the MUA or other contributors, or perhaps the talent and other parties involved have asked to not be credited for whatever reason.

I just thought it was worth mentioning that it really does go a long way to give credit when possible.

That's all. Thanks for reading!

Mar 06 18 10:00 am Link

Photographer

PHP-Photography

Vaasa, Ostrobothnia, Finland

Or model does not verify the credit.

Mar 06 18 10:53 am Link

Photographer

VISION Photography

Yes that's a good point.

I'm not sure why creators so frequently neglect to list model's names or at least their pseudonyms on photos that they appear in. For a while I thought it was related to the maturity or explicitness of the content, but after looking around at the models that weren't credited in mature or even g-rated content, I couldn't come to any logical conclusion as to why credit would be withheld for privacy purposes since said models were almost exclusively posing in mature content.

Is it laziness? I just don't understand.

Mar 06 18 11:45 am Link

Photographer

Red Sky Photography

Germantown, Maryland, US

VISION Photography wrote:
Hello all,

I've been noticing lately that a lot of photographers don't give credit to the models and other talent involved with work displayed here. I'm sure there could be a few reasons as to why, such as the talent shown is not on MM or likewise the MUA or other contributors, or perhaps the talent and other parties involved have asked to not be credited for whatever reason.

I just thought it was worth mentioning that it really does go a long way to give credit when possible.

That's all. Thanks for reading!

Have a look at the daily contests, many have no model credits. It's a networking site, I want everyone I work with to meet more photographers and get more work.

Mar 06 18 12:30 pm Link

Photographer

Risen Phoenix Photo

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

I also notice that most models don't ever credit photographers either. Let's face it I wonder if MM is for networking at all any longer given the growth of Facebook, and Instagram.

Mar 06 18 01:18 pm Link

Model

Laura UnBound

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

PHP-Photography wrote:
Or model does not verify the credit.

You don't have to verify a credit given on a posted image. You could tag me in your entire portfolio and I don't have to approve any of it. I can however hide it from my "credited images" in my own portfolio.

Most other social media sites also don't require a verification for the person doing the posting, it only affects whether or not the images show up in the timelines of the person tagged.

Mar 06 18 06:36 pm Link

Photographer

PHP-Photography

Laura UnBound wrote:

You don't have to verify a credit given on a posted image.

It is unfortunate that MM chose to use word "credit" for references too.

Mar 07 18 08:09 am Link

Model

Laura UnBound

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

PHP-Photography wrote:

It is unfortunate that MM chose to use word "credit" for references too.

True. I was assuming the OP meant the link to the other people involved in the photo that goes under it in the portfolios. (or links back to people elsewhere on social media)

Do you have to approve someone's "verified credit" of you for it to show on your profile? Most of the people I've worked with aren't using them so I can't remember what that process was. I thought they just showed up as well.

Mar 07 18 11:25 pm Link

Photographer

PHP-Photography

Laura UnBound wrote:

True. I was assuming the OP meant the link to the other people involved in the photo that goes under it in the portfolios.

I think you assumed correctly, I didnt.

Laura UnBound wrote:
Do you have to approve someone's "verified credit" of you for it to show on your profile?

Yes.

Mar 08 18 07:09 am Link

Photographer

VISION Photography

Laura UnBound wrote:
True. I was assuming the OP meant the link to the other people involved in the photo that goes under it in the portfolios.

Sorry for the confusion, I was referring to the credit listed beneath a photo.

Mar 08 18 11:32 am Link

Photographer

Pixrbias

Boston, Massachusetts, US

The real reason I don't is that,  i only use paid working models (mostly traveling) who are mostly known here and elsewhere already.  I don't shoot for trade and have had my images show up somewhere they don't belong. If people ask me who the model is I will tell them if I think it will be a good fit.  Never without the models' permission.  Word of mouth referrals still go a long way in my realm.  Same goes for hair and make up.

Apr 14 18 09:46 am Link

Photographer

Brooklyn Bridge Images

Brooklyn, New York, US

VISION Photography wrote:

Goes a long way to what exactly ?

Apr 14 18 01:47 pm Link

Photographer

VISION Photography

Pixrbias wrote:
The real reason I don't is that,  i only use paid working models (mostly traveling) who are mostly known here and elsewhere already.  I don't shoot for trade and have had my images show up somewhere they don't belong. If people ask me who the model is I will tell them if I think it will be a good fit.  Never without the models' permission.  Word of mouth referrals still go a long way in my realm.  Same goes for hair and make up.

I understand. Thank you for your reply!

Apr 17 18 02:29 pm Link

Photographer

VISION Photography

Brooklyn Bridge Images wrote:

Goes a long way to what exactly ?

As Pixrbias mentioned, word of mouth and listing a model's profile can benefit the talent in the future. I also believe this to be true.

Apr 17 18 02:31 pm Link

Photographer

Red Sky Photography

Germantown, Maryland, US

Pixrbias wrote:

Several things I don't understand in your reply.

I looked through your portfolio and recognized a couple of models, but there were several I might like to shoot with, but I can't offer any of these paid, traveling models  a booking because I don't know who they are.

I don't understand why not shooting trade makes any difference.

If I ask you who a model is, you want to pre screen me, and only share their contact info if  you think we will be a good fit?

Every paid, traveling model I've shot with is interested in more bookings. The more people they shoot with or have contact with, the more likely they are to make enough money to continue their profession.

Apr 17 18 06:19 pm Link

Photographer

Pixrbias

Boston, Massachusetts, US

Red Sky Photography wrote:
Several things I don't understand in your reply.

I looked through your portfolio and recognized a couple of models, but there were several I might like to shoot with, but I can't offer any of these paid, traveling models  a booking because I don't know who they are.

I don't understand why not shooting trade makes any difference.

If I ask you who a model is, you want to pre screen me, and only share their contact info if  you think we will be a good fit?

Every paid, traveling model I've shot with is interested in more bookings. The more people they shoot with or have contact with, the more likely they are to make enough money to continue their profession.

True, true, and true.  I build a trust and respect relationship with each model....  They work hard, get paid, move on to the next gig and I don't ask who. I don't care whom.  Haven't met any two photographers yet with the same perspective, but character plays roll, so that's why I ask the model first.  It ain't  broke so no need to......

Apr 18 18 08:07 am Link

Photographer

Eye of the World

Corvallis, Oregon, US

IOW you don't think the models can make their own independent judgement of who they want to work with wirhout you pre-screening the photographers.

Apr 18 18 09:05 pm Link