Forums > Photography Talk > It Finally Happened

Photographer

Jowady

Austin, Texas, US

I finally had a model flake out on me. She's the first this Century!  Fortunately, all I am out is time, She is a traveling model so I guess she either got a better offer or just decided to stop responding.  I was about to send her the deposit when I asked her to reconfirm the time and date and she never responded.  I wish her well, I have other business that I can attend to.  Still I always wonder why people walk away from commitments without saying a word.

Mar 11 18 10:59 am Link

Photographer

Gelsen Aripia Images

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Jowady wrote:
Still I always wonder why people walk away from commitments without saying a word.

I guess because they lack the traits necessary to make particular connections that would lead to them having Personal Integrity.

Mar 12 18 03:49 pm Link

Photographer

Black Z Eddie

San Jacinto, California, US

This isn't really a flake.  Flake is when you've booked a studio/hotel (etc) and they don't show up.  Or, after driving to the meet location and they don't show up.  That's a flake.

Mar 12 18 04:39 pm Link

Photographer

Vector One Photography

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US

Yeah, that's not a flake. That's just a change of mind. A flake is when you are standing where you're supposed to meet and you're alone.  Or you go to the airport to pick them up and everyone gets off the plane except them. The difference is time. If there is enough notice then it's just a change of plans. If it's done on the day of the shoot then it's a flake.  If it's done after you pay the deposit or buy the airline ticket then it's a felony.

Mar 13 18 07:48 pm Link

Photographer

Jowady

Austin, Texas, US

Vector One Photography wrote:
Yeah, that's not a flake. That's just a change of mind. A flake is when you are standing where you're supposed to meet and you're alone.  Or you go to the airport to pick them up and everyone gets off the plane except them. The difference is time. If there is enough notice then it's just a change of plans. If it's done on the day of the shoot then it's a flake.  If it's done after you pay the deposit or buy the airline ticket then it's a felony.

Wow, let's get pedantic then.  What was I out, well, studio arrangements that, while I hadn't left a deposit I have burned good faith on (the studio owner had reserved it for me on my word that I would be using it) as well as another job that I could have shot but turned down as I had this set up.  So, am I out money, yes I am.  Now if you guys have your own definition that's fine.  I may not have been left at the altar but I still lost out.  I love people who can only see the immediate and not the full picture.  BTW, good luck on trying to get any DA to prosecute your "felony", they'll laugh you right out of the office.

Mar 15 18 05:21 am Link

Photographer

Fleming Design

East Hartford, Connecticut, US

Getting left at the altar is being left at the altar.  Not even getting the first date is not being left at the altar.  But if you want to feel like you were flaked on go right ahead.

Mar 15 18 05:48 am Link

Photographer

Jowady

Austin, Texas, US

Wow, consider me thoroughly chastized then, I bow to your superio..... okay, I almost got through that with a straight face.  Sorry but you guys seem like the kind of people who think that if you do or sell something at cost you're breaking even.  Oh well, I see why the shooters in my main line, landscape and documentary photography, consider the photographer's end of MM to be a joke filled with GWACs.  See ya at the circus.

Mar 15 18 03:26 pm Link

Photographer

Vision Images by Jake

Stockton, California, US

Jowady wrote:

Wow, let's get pedantic then.  What was I out, well, studio arrangements that, while I hadn't left a deposit I have burned good faith on (the studio owner had reserved it for me on my word that I would be using it) as well as another job that I could have shot but turned down as I had this set up.  So, am I out money, yes I am.  Now if you guys have your own definition that's fine.  I may not have been left at the altar but I still lost out.  I love people who can only see the immediate and not the full picture.  BTW, good luck on trying to get any DA to prosecute your "felony", they'll laugh you right out of the office.

I agree with you, that's a FLAKE!

Mar 15 18 03:39 pm Link

Photographer

FIFTYONE PHOTOGRAPHY

Uniontown, Pennsylvania, US

Congratulations!

Mar 15 18 04:03 pm Link

Photographer

Tony Lawrence

Chicago, Illinois, US

Vector One Photography wrote:

I wasn't the best law student but what you've described might not be a felony.   It could be enough for a civil suit but not a criminal case.   At least based on my understanding of the law.

Mar 15 18 04:52 pm Link

Photographer

Brooklyn Bridge Images

Brooklyn, New York, US

Jowady wrote:
I finally had a model flake out on me. She's the first this Century!  Fortunately, all I am out is time, She is a traveling model so I guess she either got a better offer or just decided to stop responding. I was about to send her the deposit when I asked her to reconfirm the time and date and she never responded.  I wish her well, I have other business that I can attend to.  Still I always wonder why people walk away from commitments without saying a word.

Will this cause you to rethink sending $$$ to random unknown people on the internet ?

Mar 15 18 05:04 pm Link

Photographer

Black Z Eddie

OP, don't get all pissy just because your pity-party didn't happen.  First off, you seemed fine and nonchalant about it on your initial post.

Jowady wrote:
...Fortunately, all I am out is time, ...

You didn't get the embracing you were seeking so now you throw this in:

Jowady wrote:
...What was I out, well, studio arrangements that, while I hadn't left a deposit I have burned good faith on (the studio owner had reserved it for me on my word that I would be using it) as well as another job that I could have shot but turned down as I had this set up.  So, am I out money, yes I am...

And, lest you forget, you are a photographer member of MM...soooooooo...

Jowady wrote:
Wow, consider me thoroughly chastized then, I bow to your superio..... okay, I almost got through that with a straight face.  Sorry but you guys seem like the kind of people who think that if you do or sell something at cost you're breaking even.  Oh well, I see why the shooters in my main line, landscape and documentary photography, consider the photographer's end of MM to be a joke filled with GWACs.  See ya at the circus.

Mar 15 18 05:28 pm Link

Photographer

Rob Photosby

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia

Jowady wrote:
Fortunately, all I am out is time, ...

Given that time is the most important asset that any of us have (none of us have enough time and we all have as much as there is), why do so many people think that wasting a photographer's money is more serious than wasting a photographer's time?

Mar 16 18 10:26 pm Link

Model

ClaytonCDavis

Denton, Texas, US

+1 on the flake. The model broke the agreement. That equals flake.

Mar 17 18 10:20 am Link

Retoucher

HammadsWorks

Mississauga, Ontario, Canada

What are people here on about? This is a clear flake.

Not showing at the airport is a flake? No showing at an airport is a liar. A change of mind? Flakes are people who change their minds. Flakes aren't trolls, most of the time.

Being left at the alter vs being stood up? What is this guy on about? Yeah, this photographer was stood up. The model didn't show at an "alter" and then decide to leave- she never showed in the first place.

People are getting so anal and arrogant here.

>
Sucks you couldn't shoot. This incident is telling me to never send deposits.

Mar 17 18 07:59 pm Link

Retoucher

HammadsWorks

Mississauga, Ontario, Canada

Black Z Eddie wrote:
OP, don't get all pissy just because your pity-party didn't happen.  First off, you seemed fine and nonchalant about it on your initial post.

Jowady wrote:
...Fortunately, all I am out is time, ...

You didn't get the embracing you were seeking so now you throw this in:

And, lest you forget, you are a photographer member of MM...soooooooo...

This is such a meaningless post. Honestly dude, why are you replying? This is a photography site, talk about flakes. No one's asking for pity. Most people here are just being douches for no reason.

Mar 17 18 08:02 pm Link

Photographer

Black Z Eddie

HammadsWorks wrote:
This is such a meaningless post. Honestly dude, why are you replying? This is a photography site, talk about flakes. No one's asking for pity. Most people here are just being douches for no reason.

Either you didn't read the whole thread, especially the OPs comments; or, you're an enabler.  I'm not.

Mar 17 18 10:59 pm Link

Photographer

Evan Worthington

Los Angeles, California, US

How it's your first boggles my mind. I made the mistake of not confirming once and drove an hour and a half to meet, no text responses, etc. - she texted about an hour later to explain she'd become very ill and had fallen asleep, and she was very sorry. She even called and had a deeply graveled sick voice. In this industry I refuse to become so jaded that I assume she was lying, but I can't be so naive as to believe every excuse, either.

I confirm the day before now, and again when I'm about to head out to the location even if it's ten minutes away. At least if I don't get a response I can fall back on plan 'b' (usually editing) without wasting my time.

Mar 19 18 10:22 am Link