Forums > Hair, Makeup & Styling > Share your best make-up tips

Makeup Artist

LotteConcepts

s-Hertogenbosch, Noord-Brabant, Netherlands

I think that most off us have been working in the industry for quiet some time now.

So we all have some tips and tricks that we believe are "game changers" in our field.

What is your best advice? Can be technique, products etc. Let's learn from each other!

My best tip for now is: skincare is way more important than foundation. If you prep the skin on your model the right way, you might eliminate the need for foundation all together. I myself almost never use foundation on my models, just a good skincare routine with a little concealer helps me achieve the finish that I love most. At the moment I often use Dermalogica hydrating skin booster, as it gives a nice glow, and doesn't sink into the skin to quickly so it gives your concealer a nice "slip" so it blends well into the skin.

May 12 18 03:28 am Link

Clothing Designer

GRMACK

Bakersfield, California, US

First off, I'm in awe of models with beautiful skin to start with.  Makeup should be a complement to it, and it makes post editing work much easier too.  Anyone who yells "It's too much PS!!!" can eat it with "No, it's makeup!"

These days I always use a MUAH person.  Working with different ones, and getting feedback from models who also use and recommended their favorites, helps too.  It allows me to learn who does what and how, and also how it has changed from when I did it (I don't like to do MUAH now as I like to let others bring in their own ideas and I got enough to think about on set as it is.).  Film was always a PITA as ALL skin needed to be covered due to the ultraviolet brighteners in old makeup where face would be a blue tint and arms would be skin-colored if not covered as well and then corrected in the darkroom enlarger filter packs.  Ben Nye was one of the first to omit the UV brighteners and helped in the full-coverage department or body airbrushing (which always looked orange to me then).

I find some online MUAH videos interesting to see what some are using as well as style points.  Hayley Williams (Singer for Paramore) did some online TV videos called "Kiss Off" along with her favorite MUAH person Brian J. O'Connor which shows a lot of their skin tips.

The first episode is here and others are in Youtube to follow:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yd3q-OLdNiY

May 12 18 09:37 am Link