Forums > General Industry > Model flake, What should I do

Photographer

WB Photography

San Antonio, Texas, US

We talk about models flaking all the time, but this situations just a little different. I shoot a lot of tattoo models and I have a small little tattoo magazine that I publish. There's this one very beautiful tattoo model I really want shoot who lives 130 miles from me. We scheduled to shoot about a two months ago for her to come to my town, I was going to pay her modeling fees plus travel, and a few hours before we were suppose to shoot, she contacts me and says her car is jacked and she can't make it. We rescheduled again but this time I was to drive to her. At first she was communicating regularly with me but it started to fade. it was taking her days to respond to me, all the while she was doing other photo shoots with other photographers. Two days before the shoot she contacted me and  confirmed the shoot with me and said all was a go. The day after she contacts me and said the place we were going to shoot we couldn't shoot there and she was going to ask her friend who has a big house can we shoot there. I said ok. The morning I was packed up and messaged her to let her know I was on my way and I got no answer. I had scheduled two models to shoot so my travel wasn't a complete waste and I waited for her to respond while i was driving up to shoot. Well she never responded  so I shot the other model and luckily another model was around and shot her. But today the model that didn't respond messaged me and said she was sorry and would like to reschedule. 75% of me wants to tell her to go F herself, but.....I really want to shoot her and want her in my magazine because she's hot and would help me sell. What would you guys do?

May 20 18 03:23 pm Link

Photographer

E Thompson Photography

Hyattsville, Maryland, US

Let it go or you're likely in for a third disappointment.

May 20 18 04:22 pm Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

What should I do?

Look -- we weren't there, so we don't have the benefit of nuance.  Maybe you should give her another chance; maybe not.  It's up to you.

Things You Can Do:
...  You can search these forums for "model flakes" threads -- yours isn't the first.
...  You don't have to work with that model ever again if you don't want to.
...  Maybe she needs to travel to you next time (if there is a next time)?
...  Continue to make contingency plans to soften possible disappointment.
...  You can examine your model selection criteria & figure out better ways to check a model's reliability?
...  Creating superior art without model flakes is the best revenge.
...  You can share your story, but only with people you know & trust and who know & trust you.

Things You Shouldn't Do:
...  I wouldn't "out" the model's name to strangers.
...  Don't put a "Not Recommended" list of your profile -- that's sharing with strangers.
...  Don't fret about it -- focus on your work & what it takes to improve it.

The preceding is my opinion only -- do what you want.

May 20 18 04:31 pm Link

Photographer

Keith Moody

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Hot models are a dime a dozen.  What you need to decide is whether or not this one is worth the hassle.  Only you can decide that.  Based on her behavior, she clearly doesn't put a lot of value on this shoot.

May 20 18 04:32 pm Link

Photographer

Black Z Eddie

San Jacinto, California, US

"Fool me once..."

May 20 18 04:40 pm Link

Photographer

Brooklyn Bridge Images

Brooklyn, New York, US

You must be a glutton for punishment
This person has shown a pattern of being unreliable
End contact and find other models

May 20 18 04:47 pm Link

Photographer

Orca Bay Images

Arcata, California, US

Give her your rates. Ask for payment in full in advance. Then forget about her.

May 20 18 04:47 pm Link

Photographer

Graham Glover

Oakton, Virginia, US

Depersonalize it.  You're paying.  She flaked twice.

I'd drop this model.  Move on to the next one.

May 20 18 05:02 pm Link

Photographer

Jason McKendricks

Chico, California, US

She has already shown she has no respect for your time. Move on.

May 20 18 05:13 pm Link

Photographer

Tony Lawrence

Chicago, Illinois, US

Brooklyn Bridge Images wrote:
You must be a glutton for punishment
This person has shown a pattern of being unreliable
End contact and find other models

Ding. Ding we've got a winner.   Why would you let this model waste another second of your time?   She's told you by her actions she's not serious about working with you.   I suspect you're someone she'd work with if everything else didn't come through.   I'd tell her no thanks and not respond any more to her if she contacts you again.   Don't let people waste the valuable thing you have.   Your time.

May 20 18 05:13 pm Link

Photographer

San Anselmo, California, US

Why bother with flaky people. you will only get more BS & excuses.  She really is not showing  genuine interest in a shoot with you.  The greatest word in the English language is  "NEXT".

May 20 18 05:43 pm Link

Photographer

Deep Visions

Oceanside, California, US

The model clearly is not serious about shooting with you, drop her & move on

May 20 18 05:49 pm Link

Photographer

FIFTYONE PHOTOGRAPHY

Uniontown, Pennsylvania, US

WB Photography wrote:
[snip]  What would you guys do?

Firstly I would make every attempt to confirm that I am communicating with who I think I'm communicating with.

May 20 18 05:52 pm Link

Photographer

Designit - Edward Olson

West Hollywood, California, US

WB Photography wrote:
We talk about models flaking all the time, but this situations just a little different. I shoot a lot of tattoo models and I have a small little tattoo magazine that I publish. There's this one very beautiful tattoo model I really want shoot who lives 130 miles from me. We scheduled to shoot about a two months ago for her to come to my town, I was going to pay her modeling fees plus travel, and a few hours before we were suppose to shoot, she contacts me and says her car is jacked and she can't make it. We rescheduled again but this time I was to drive to her. At first she was communicating regularly with me but it started to fade. it was taking her days to respond to me, all the while she was doing other photo shoots with other photographers. Two days before the shoot she contacted me and  confirmed the shoot with me and said all was a go. The day after she contacts me and said the place we were going to shoot we couldn't shoot there and she was going to ask her friend who has a big house can we shoot there. I said ok. The morning I was packed up and messaged her to let her know I was on my way and I got no answer. I had scheduled two models to shoot so my travel wasn't a complete waste and I waited for her to respond while i was driving up to shoot. Well she never responded  so I shot the other model and luckily another model was around and shot her. But today the model that didn't respond messaged me and said she was sorry and would like to reschedule. 75% of me wants to tell her to go F herself, but.....I really want to shoot her and want her in my magazine because she's hot and would help me sell. What would you guys do?

Schedule again for her to come to you at a time when you have enough models to shoot that you won't be put out if she doesn't come. If she comes, you can always fit another model in. If not, no loss. Just don't go to her again.

May 20 18 06:02 pm Link

Photographer

AgX

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

WB Photography wrote:
...I really want to shoot her ... because she's hot...

I feel that the above is coloring your ability to make an unbiased decision that is in your best interests.

WB Photography wrote:
What would you guys do?

I would return a simple "no thank you" to her request to reschedule.

May 20 18 07:30 pm Link

Photographer

Aaron Pawlak

New York, New York, US

WB Photography wrote:
What would you guys do?

I'd remove the "I am a photographer trying to get better at it" from the front of my profile.
(You asked what would we do)

and you could schedule to shoot her in a group shoot,
and if she doesn't show, you still get your work done.

When you give people a second chance; they are most likely to do that to you again,
but you don't have to 'say never'..

May 20 18 11:01 pm Link

Photographer

LA StarShooter

Los Angeles, California, US

Let her know that is difficult for you to schedule. You would like to and, and in the past month it was possible, but with the release of your next issue needing typesetting, web formatting, etc. it will be very difficult. Tell her to contact you in a couple of weeks. This way you're in control and there's no hint of disappointment. "It would be great if you would touch base in a couple of weeks."

If she contacts again, it's because she's using you as an anchor. If she can't score more than you're offering she has you; however, if she can get more, she can drop you and come back to you later.

This how she has acted and why, and she will not change.

Also tell her you have to go with another model for the cover. If she doesn't really bite then your magazine doesn't matter to her at all.

This is not unusual. Even great models can be "forgetful." As in "I forgot is this paid or unpaid?" Then they will ask for gas money as you get in the confirmation stage. Get it? 

This is the usual trip and its best to be low key and not drop her. Never do that--always tell them to contact you in a couple of weeks when they reach out after they have discarded you. Financially things can really change and she may come through if she has burnt through all her money-making prospects. Good luck.

May 20 18 11:16 pm Link

Photographer

WB Photography

San Antonio, Texas, US

Thanks everyone for your replies and yes, I think I’m going to pass on her.

May 22 18 04:33 am Link

Photographer

63fotos

Flagstaff, Arizona, US

There is more than one beautifully tattooed model out there.

May 23 18 09:11 am Link

Photographer

tcphoto

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Spend your time reading about grammar, no paragraph breaks makes your post impossible to read.

May 23 18 10:40 am Link

Model

Tikeya

Edgewood, Maryland, US

On to the next...

Plenty of other models out there (AND with tattoos!) who would be more considerate of your time.

May 29 18 03:11 pm Link

Photographer

Scott Murphy Photo

Pawleys Island, South Carolina, US

WB Photography wrote:

She is obviously unreliable, immature and not serious about modeling and I would tell her to hit the bricks. I have a zero flake policy, if they flake on me, we are done. Life is too short to go chasing after flakes for a shoot.

Mar 07 19 02:19 pm Link

Photographer

Camera Buff

Maryborough, Queensland, Australia

If it is truly important for you and/or your tattoo magazine to do a shoot with this model — don’t burn bridges.

The fact that this model has been doing shoots with other photographers suggests that she is popular and not a serial flaker.

Being popular may mean she is continually having to rearrange her priorities around her shoot schedule. You may not be at the top of her 'to-do' list, simply because of the tyranny of distance.

This model’s behaviour may be rude, but if she is still initiating messages with you, then continue to be patient.

Try something like this,

“Hi [name of model], I understand how last minute things can/have come up which has stopped our planned photo shoots from happening. Not a problem!"

"Please let me know when you plan on our getting together next. Thanks again.”

This tactic forces a response and hands planning for what happens next over to the model. So whether she messages you back and sets a new shoot time or refuses, at least you’ll know exactly where you stand and won’t waste any more of your valuable time.

Mar 09 19 06:56 pm Link

Photographer

Loki Studio

Royal Oak, Michigan, US

"We have had issues twice now with completing a confirmed photo shoot.  I would be happy to schedule a new shoot and pay you as previously agreed after I receive a non-refundable deposit of $500."   

I treat my clients and models with the same service and policies.  It prevents headaches, frustrations, and excess posts to MM.

Mar 10 19 12:32 am Link

Photographer

Camera Buff

Loki Studio wrote:
"We have had issues twice now with completing a confirmed photo shoot.  I would be happy to schedule a new shoot and pay you as previously agreed after I receive a non-refundable deposit of $500."   

I treat my clients and models with the same service and policies.  It prevents headaches, frustrations, and excess posts to MM.

Your helpful suggestion has merit in the US. (Laws are different in my State/Country to those in the US.) The OP is in the US, so the following info may also be helpful.

Is a non-refundable deposit actually non-refundable? (USA)
https://thelawtog.com/non-refundable-de … efundable/

Mar 10 19 01:27 am Link

Photographer

Abbitt Photography

Washington, Utah, US

Camera Buff wrote:
Is a non-refundable deposit actually non-refundable? (USA)
https://thelawtog.com/non-refundable-de … efundable/

As the article you link mentions, a photographer can’t have a contract, obtain a deposit and retain the deposit if he breaches the contract.  The point of the deposit is to provide the service provider a non refundable deposit in the event the client breaks their contract/agreement, (doesn’t show for example), not if the service provider (photographer in this case) breaks the agreement.   

I don’t think anyone here has argued a photographer should keep a deposit if he/she is the one who breaks the agreement.  The context here is when the model breaks the agreement by flaking on the photographer.

Mar 10 19 08:43 am Link

Photographer

Quinlan Vos

Los Angeles, California, US

Hard facts of life.... taxes and model flakes...

Mar 10 19 09:00 am Link

Photographer

Camera Buff

Abbitt Photography wrote:
I don’t think anyone here has argued a photographer should keep a deposit if he/she is the one who breaks the agreement.  The context here is when the model breaks the agreement by flaking on the photographer.

I agree, no one here (including myself) has argued a photographer should keep a deposit if he/she is the one who breaks the agreement.

The context of my reply was to help inform those photographers, including myself, who might be contemplating using Non-Refundable Deposits (NRD) / Retainers as a tactic to try and stop models who would break these types of agreements should they decide to flake on their photographers.

I have never seen a NRD agreement, so I needed to Google it to find out for myself how these types of agreements work in my State & Country. That's how I came across the US links. Personally, I found the US legal examples most useful.

https://thelawtog.com/use-deposit-retai … -contract/

IMO, I doubt a model would enter into a contract and pay a $xxx NRD/Retainer unless the model is trying to secure the services of a particular photographer. In the OP's example, it's the photographer who wants to secure the services of the model, so the onus would be on him to pay a deposit/retainer.

Mar 10 19 09:37 am Link

Photographer

John Silva Photography

Fairfield, California, US

Quinlan Vos wrote:
Hard facts of life.... taxes and model flakes...

Ohhh, you forgot DEATH!!!
There ARE 3 hard facts in this business!!!  LoL

Mar 11 19 08:23 pm Link

Photographer

Dan Lee Photo

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

It honestly doesn't matter if they have legitimate reasons for cancelling, or lack of communication or flaking.

At the end of the day it means it's wasted your time and effort, and still means they are unreliable.

Mar 27 19 04:10 pm Link