Forums > Model Colloquy > Models accepting mobile payments

Photographer

Chris Lauw

Goleta, California, US

When I travel, I like to book local models for paid shoot. Many prefer cash, but a few models accept mobile payment. Given the choice, I always prefer using mobile payment. It's convenient because I don't have to go to an ATM, and safe since I don't have to carry a lot of cash. I do rehire them if I happen to be in the area again because I have already worked with them and they make it easy for me to pay them. There are no fees incurred to the models when I paid them using mobile payment methods.

From a model's perspective, what do you think about receiving payment through Square Cash, Apple Pay Cash, and Venmo?
What are your concerns that stopping you from accepting such payment methods?

Jun 01 18 10:43 am Link

Model

Laura UnBound

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

For the most part, theres a concern about back-charges. I've certainly heard of models getting burned for accepting paypal, and then the photographer claimed it was fraud/services were not delivered and paypal/the bank almost always sides with the "buyer", and will yank the funds back out of your account (or freeze your account until you put the funds back into it so they can take it out again)

If you pay someone in cash you cant take it back from them a week later when you decide you dont like them anymore because they didnt say enough good things about your photos on their facebook page.

Theres also a concern about accounts being frozen. Paypal and some banks have NEVER been friendly to people they consider sex workers or adult industry persons. Even if thats not what the two of you personally think you're shooting, it's up to the banks. With the Sesta/fosta stuff thats just going to get worse. There's nothing like your bank suddenly deciding that these random couple hundred dollar payments from all over the place must be something naughty and freezing your funds while you're on a road trip or something.

I think e-payments have also just been largely forgotten about, because only just a year or so ago you still had to get a credit card reader that plugged into your phone, it wasn't as easy as taking 30 seconds to download free apps, nobody had the same app as you so it became a whole ordeal to trade money, etc. It's certainly become much easier but I don't think a lot of people have revisited it.

Jun 01 18 11:27 am Link

Model

Alexandra Vincent

Asheville, North Carolina, US

I used to take PayPal, then later got a square reader and also accepted checks if I'd worked with the person before and trusted them. With the new SESTA/FOSTA thing, and the complications it has already created for freelance models, I'm questioning whether it's going to be safe to take payment in forms other than just cash or possibly check. Agencies can just arbitrarily decide someone is a "sex trafficker" and shut their bank accounts down now.

Jun 01 18 01:36 pm Link

Model

Liv Sage

Seattle, Washington, US

S. 952 is a new law - "End Banking for Human Traffickers Act"

Or, what it should be labeled "Let's arbitrarily take money and freeze bank accounts that belong to what we *guess* are sex workers because we don't like them." What's sex work? Well, it appears that this has yet to be defined and can simply be applied to, mostly women or femme presenting people, who do anything deemed sexual for money or receive "suspicious" money. I've met models recently who have dealt with constantly having their paypal deleted/frozen, had Bank of America and Chase accounts shut down (those two financial institutions are notorious for this), and had to wait up to 180 days for their money to be released. In some cases, they've had to seek legal recourse to recover money.

I accept paypal, but tend to prefer cash when on the road without access to immediately transfer money to my bank account from paypal. Venmo is associated with facebook - a platform which is also not trustworthy. I've heard of issues with venmo as well. So, that's typically why some are a bit hesitant to accept payment through these apps. I'm guessing it will only get worse due to the recent legislation.

I've never had a photographer try to take back a payment as Laura wrote, but that could also be a reason.

Jun 03 18 02:21 pm Link

Photographer

E Thompson Photography

Hyattsville, Maryland, US

Be careful of having "too much cash" when your traveling, you could end up in a civil forfeiture situation. They even do debit cards.

Jun 03 18 03:34 pm Link

Model

Lisa Everhart

Sebring, Florida, US

It is a little known fact, but when you make a deposit to a bank account, the money legally becomes their property and they are essentially giving you back an IOU in the form of a deposit entry. I am not sure, but I think this is how they are able to technically freeze accounts without it being outright theft.

Civil asset forfeiture is theft plain and simple.

Jun 04 18 09:45 am Link

Admin

Model Mayhem Edu

Los Angeles, California, US

Liv Sage wrote:
Venmo is associated with facebook - a platform which is also not trustworthy. I've heard of issues with venmo as well. So, that's typically why some are a bit hesitant to accept payment through these apps

Venmo is owned by PayPal. The Facebook connection isn't required. You can search for people via name, email, phone number, etc, and have no connection to Facebook at all. That's not to say one shouldn't have concerns using Venmo, just that the concern about FB specifically can be removed.

Jun 04 18 10:23 am Link

Model

Lisa Everhart

Sebring, Florida, US

Model Mayhem Edu wrote:
Venmo is owned by PayPal. The Facebook connection isn't required. You can search for people via name, email, phone number, etc, and have no connection to Facebook at all. That's not to say one shouldn't have concerns using Venmo, just that the concern about FB specifically can be removed.

Have either of you guys ever had an issue with PayPal? I use it often for payment for modeling and never have.

Jun 04 18 11:35 am Link

Admin

Model Mayhem Edu

Los Angeles, California, US

Lisa Everhart wrote:
Have either of you guys ever had an issue with PayPal? I use it often for payment for modeling and never have.

I never use/carry cash and rely solely on PayPal, Venmo, and Square for paying everyone involved in the shoot (unless it's a big production with invoices and checks). I've never had any issues with the payment apps.

Jun 04 18 11:54 am Link

Photographer

Chris Lauw

Goleta, California, US

Lisa Everhart wrote:

I personally never had any issues with any non cash payment type whatsoever. I had Paypal back from year 2000, zero issues. I have Venmo, Square Cash, Apple Pay Cash, and I added all my credit and debit cards on my iPhone X and Apple Watch, and use them all the time. I have not encountered any issues whatsoever with frauds, unauthorized charges, or frozen accounts either; It's been years now since I've added them.

When I travel I rarely need cash, I only use them to pay models when I do hotel shoots. Anything else I always use credit cards. If I lose my cards, with a flip of a toggle I can quickly disable those cards. If I only use cash and I lose them, they are gone for good and I'm stranded without recourse.

Trafficking/anti laundering regulations, fear of frozen account, the requirement to have same payment type are all valid concerns.
I think that technical barrier seems to be what holds people from getting on board with mobile payments, you have to download the app and link a bank account, many people just can't be bothered with it.
I notice that I did more detail verification with Venmo, Square Cash, Apple Pay Cash where I enter my DOB/SSN, this is to increase the limit of funds that can be transferred. Without such verification, it's probably what triggered suspicious activity and account shutdown.

Jun 04 18 01:43 pm Link