Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > The cave in Thailand.....

Photographer

IMAGINERIES

New York, New York, US

I can't stop thinking of those twelve kids and their coach and the amazing people risquing their life to save them.
One dead already...
I am not a religious man but I want to believe in miracles!

Jul 06 18 11:06 am Link

Photographer

Worlds Of Water

Rancho Cucamonga, California, US

I honestly think that with the upcoming rainy season getting worse and worse... the best way to rescue these kids and their coach would be to drill down to them from above... creating a new tunnel that they could all escape from.  One rescuer has already died in the rescue attempt thru the flooded caves.

Jul 06 18 11:52 am Link

Artist/Painter

Hunter GWPB

King of Prussia, Pennsylvania, US

Jul 06 18 01:06 pm Link

Model

Jules NYC

New York, New York, US

I’ve been thinking about this story all week.
I sure hope they find a way out.

sad
No air
Dangerous to scuba dive
Dangerous to stay
Dangerous to be carried like a parcel

All odds are against them.

Jul 06 18 03:32 pm Link

Photographer

Abbitt Photography

Washington, Utah, US

Terrible event.  It gives me pause to appreciate the many who have given their lives to help or protect others.

Jul 06 18 03:53 pm Link

Photographer

Chuckarelei

Seattle, Washington, US

Select Models wrote:
I honestly think that with the upcoming rainy season getting worse and worse... the best way to rescue these kids and their coach would be to drill down to them from above... creating a new tunnel that they could all escape from.  One rescuer has already died in the rescue attempt thru the flooded caves.

Drilling a hole could easily cause water flooding the cave cavity as monsoon rain comes.

Jul 06 18 08:23 pm Link

Photographer

Orca Bay Images

Arcata, California, US

Select Models wrote:
the best way to rescue these kids and their coach would be to drill down to them from above... creating a new tunnel that they could all escape from.

Drilling a tunnel from above could take months.

Depending on the nature of the cave, it could possibly "uncork" the cave and allow the water to flood it. Picture a submerged bell holding air, then drill a hole in the top of the bell.

Jul 06 18 09:25 pm Link

Photographer

Worlds Of Water

My question is... what Thailand governmental agency is responsible for allowing the admission of unexperienced cave hiking children into this cave at the top of the monsoon season?  With 4 straight months of increased rain forcasted from their time of cave entry... why on Earth would they allow a dozen kids (and coach) into a water cave, knowing that the additional rain forcasted would flood the cave and render it unpassable?

The current prognosis does NOT look good for their survival.  Quite sure that after this incident, admission into this cave will be monitored with alot more scrutiny... wink

Jul 06 18 09:44 pm Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

Select Models wrote:
My question is... what Thailand governmental agency is responsible for allowing the admission of unexperienced cave hiking children into this cave at the top of the monsoon season?  With 4 straight months of increased rain forcasted from their time of cave entry... why on Earth would they allow a dozen kids (and coach) into a water cave, knowing that the additional rain forcasted would flood the cave and render it unpassable?

The current prognosis does NOT look good for their survival.  Quite sure that after this incident, admission into this cave will be monitored with alot more scrutiny... wink

I don't think that they were allowed to go in the cave.  They just went in!

Jul 06 18 10:23 pm Link

Photographer

Worlds Of Water

WOW... with more rain scheduled to fall over the next 4 months... this 2.2 killometer cave (almost 1 1/2 miles in length) will be well over 80% underwater for the next several months.  This diagram shows the distance to drill down from above would be less than half the length of the cave.  Something for those rescuers to think about... wink

http://jobaffiche.com/en/wp-content/upl … ailand.jpg

Jul 07 18 03:30 am Link

Model

Jules NYC

New York, New York, US

Time stamp, one hour ago.

Conditions are good now to evacuate.
Let’s see what they do.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/co … li=BBnb7Kz

Jul 07 18 05:26 am Link

Model

Jules NYC

New York, New York, US

Reality check:

It takes even the most experienced divers up to five hours to swim through jagged, narrow channels from where the boys are to safety outside. The UK divers who first reached the boys described their dive as "gnarly" and full of tight passages submerged in low-visability water.

https://www-m.cnn.com/2018/07/06/asia/t … index.html

Jul 07 18 05:49 am Link

Model

Gelsen Aripia

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

This story is making me sick to my stomach, honestly.  It is not looking good.  I've heard their best bet is to continue to drain/pump as much water as possible so that they can float the boys out, or even carry them out.  A few of them are apparently quite weak.  Why they went in there at this time of year is very frustrating to me.  There should have been more monitoring at the cave's entrance to ensure something like this could not actually happen so close to monsoon season.  It was so avoidable.  Many kudos to all of the people helping out over there, though.  That's a gigantic effort, to say the least.

Jul 07 18 09:04 am Link

Photographer

Leonard Gee Photography

Sacramento, California, US

Jules NYC wrote:
It takes even the most experienced divers up to five hours to swim through jagged, narrow channels from where the boys are to safety outside.

the locals are divided on the teacher/coach taking the kids inside a cave with warning signs not to go in during the wet season. and going that far in, without food, lights, backup lights and a retreat plan was very foolish.

caving and cave diving is a specialized sport that requires special training, lots of experience and very diligent thinking. there are so many ways to get into trouble and the slightest mistake can be fatal.

buddy cave diving with an inexperienced person can be deadly for both people. it's bad enough to deal with an emergency by yourself in a situation where you have 3-5 minutes to figure out how to survive with no air and in a very tight space; having a another person to manage at the same time is no joke.

Jul 07 18 09:06 am Link

Model

Jules NYC

New York, New York, US

Leonard Gee Photography wrote:

the locals are divided on the teacher/coach taking the kids inside a cave with warning signs not to go in during the wet season. and going that far in, without food, lights, backup lights and a retreat plan was very foolish.

caving and cave diving is a specialized sport that requires special training, lots of experience and very diligent thinking. there are so many ways to get into trouble and the slightest mistake can be fatal.

buddy cave diving with an inexperienced person can be deadly for both people. it's bad enough to deal with an emergency by yourself in a situation where you have 3-5 minutes to figure out how to survive with no air and in a very tight space; having a another person to manage at the same time is no joke.

Truth be told, the longest job I’ve ever held was being a lifeguard in California. This story is making me very anxious in the safety of my home.

Jul 07 18 11:26 am Link

Photographer

Leonard Gee Photography

Jul 08 18 02:44 am Link

Model

Jules NYC

New York, New York, US

Hope this rescue mission is successful.

https://www.cnn.com/asia/live-news/thai … index.html

This statement gives me the greatest hope:
Musk

@elonmusk
· 16h
Got more great feedback from Thailand. Primary path is basically a tiny, kid-size submarine using the liquid oxygen transfer tube of Falcon rocket as hull. Light enough to be carried by 2 divers, small enough to get through narrow gaps. Extremely robust.

Jul 08 18 03:04 am Link

Model

Jules NYC

New York, New York, US

Leonard Gee Photography wrote:
the rescue should be under way:
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-44695232
https://www.cbsnews.com/live-news/thail … 018-07-08/

Just read your bbc article. Are they diving with thethers & full face masks or using this submarine device Elon speaks of?
Oh boy

Jul 08 18 03:20 am Link

Photographer

IMAGINERIES

New York, New York, US

We will know today by around 10AM new York time if the first recue was successful! It takes up to 11 hours per child
If all goes well it may take 4 days to bring them all back

Jul 08 18 04:53 am Link

Model

Jules NYC

New York, New York, US

IMAGINERIES wrote:
We will know today by around 10AM new York time if the first recue was successful! It takes up to 11 hours per child
If all goes well it may take 4 days to bring them all back

Thank you for that. I’ll keep checking.
This is so risky.

Jul 08 18 05:01 am Link

Photographer

IMAGINERIES

New York, New York, US

New up date!! It appears that two boys are out safe on their way to hospitals.

the rescue now will a matter of hours!

Jul 08 18 05:19 am Link

Photographer

IMAGINERIES

New York, New York, US

MSNBC in Manhattan is covering the rescue.

Jul 08 18 05:50 am Link

Model

Jules NYC

New York, New York, US

Wow, 4 out

Jul 08 18 06:34 am Link

Photographer

San Anselmo, California, US

6 boys out now according to BBC late news....*******... Now  6 minutes ago they changed  the number to only 4 boys .....

Jul 08 18 06:59 am Link

Photographer

Leonard Gee Photography

IMAGINERIES wrote:
New up date!! It appears that two boys are out safe on their way to hospitals.

the rescue now will a matter of hours!

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-44757804
"The mission has now been paused for 10 hours as oxygen levels in the cave have been depleted."

"Eight boys and their coach are still to be rescued"

there was some mention of taking in oxygen tanks to supplement the oxygen supply.

Jul 08 18 07:29 am Link

Clothing Designer

GRMACK

Bakersfield, California, US

Was wondering if they continue to pump the water out, I would imagine that it would also create a sort of vacuum with the little remaining air in the area they are trapped in making it harder to breathe?  Once the cave is cleared of water that is now plugging it, then wouldn't air rush back in?  But what is happening with the pumping of water out as now with the remaining air left inside the cave?  I'd think they would need to supply more air as water is being pulled out to lessen the vacuum effect.

Jul 08 18 10:04 am Link

Photographer

Leonard Gee Photography

four more kids successfully out
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-44760896

waiting for the next stage while the tanks and supplies are being renewed one more time. water levels are still low despite rain, which has been light.

Jul 09 18 08:07 am Link

Photographer

Natural Means

Yamba, New South Wales, Australia

All boys out.

Coach to go.

Did not think it was possible.

I'm crying.

Jul 10 18 04:16 am Link

Model

Jules NYC

New York, New York, US

AMAZING!!!! This is GREAT!!!

Hope the coach is ok and gets out successfully.
I am so impressed with everyone involved and the strenght of the kids.

I thought it was pretty decent of the parents not blaming him.  If he and the kids died, he didn't have to die with that on his conscious.

Jul 10 18 05:03 am Link

Model

Jules NYC

New York, New York, US

Jul 10 18 05:28 am Link

Model

Gelsen Aripia

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Natural Means wrote:
All boys out.

Coach to go.

Did not think it was possible.

I'm crying.

I had serious doubts it was possible, too, especially after that professional diver died.  What a relief!!  I mean, just WOW!!

Jul 10 18 09:41 am Link

Photographer

New York, New York, US

Great news.
Thai people are wonderful people and for years I have called traveling there to be 'happiness training' or 'smile refreshing'.
I do come back from traveling there to smile more and be more happy about life in general.

There was one rescuer that passed away.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/ … ave-rescue

https://abcnews.go.com/GMA/News/video/r … e-56401401

Some rescue show us what can be done.   And our a sense of pride to achieve.

Jul 10 18 09:58 am Link

Photographer

Leonard Gee Photography

空 wrote:
Some rescue show us what can be done.

it was a very close thing
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/thai-cave- … -disaster/

"The missions were not only sophisticated, they were downright dangerous. At one point, two teams inside the cave briefly lost all communication. On the third day of rescues, oxygen levels in the cave dropped to toxic levels and a new round of monsoon rains threatened to raise floodwaters. The main water pump in the caves also malfunctioned, sending water rushing in. The last of the Thai Navy SEALs, three divers and a medic who had stayed behind with the group throughout the mission, barely made it out."

the water was murky, so visibility was bad. fortunately, no one lost track of the fixed rope.
http://www.bbc.com/future/story/2018071 … h-in-caves

"The Thai boys were in a flooding cave in a tropical region, where a lot of the potential for disease would have been picked up by water on its way into the cave.

Jul 11 18 03:53 pm Link

Model

Asperanses

New York, New York, US

Hello to everybody. I am goingto Thailand, Maybe someone  wnats to shoot together. You are welcome.

Best regards, Julia

Sep 15 18 10:30 am Link