Forums > Model Colloquy > Advice: Model stops communicating

Photographer

Eric212Grapher

Saint Louis, Missouri, US

Looking for advice...

I spotted a travel availability notice, and sent a reply. Got a response. Traded a few messages, and then when trying to confirm, I received nothing. Waited a week, still nothing. Sent another message. No reply.

So, here's my problem. Another model is traveling here, and I would like to fill my schedule, but if I book and confirm Model#2, what happens when Model#1 pops up with a confirmation day(s) before the shoot?

Technically, I have an offer dangling in the wind to Model#1.  My bad for not setting an expiration date on that offer. But is there a reasonable time limit given to an offer? If a model does not respond in weeks, is it fair to say the offer is no longer valid, "Sorry but I filled my schedule already"?

How long does one need to wait for a reply before taking the ol' "no response is a response" route?

Jul 10 18 03:26 pm Link

Photographer

Brooklyn Bridge Images

Brooklyn, New York, US

Eric212Grapher wrote:
Looking for advice...

I spotted a travel availability notice, and sent a reply. Got a response. Traded a few messages, and then when trying to confirm, I received nothing. Waited a week, still nothing. Sent another message. No reply.

So, here's my problem. Another model is traveling here, and I would like to fill my schedule, but if I book and confirm Model#2, what happens when Model#1 pops up with a confirmation day(s) before the shoot?

Technically, I have an offer dangling in the wind to Model#1.  My bad for not setting an expiration date on that offer. But is there a reasonable time limit given to an offer? If a model does not respond in weeks, is it fair to say the offer is no longer valid, "Sorry but I filled my schedule already"?

How long does one need to wait for a reply before taking the ol' "no response is a response" route?

A week is more than long enough to consider the person a write off
Move on to booking #2

Jul 10 18 03:39 pm Link

Photographer

LA StarShooter

Los Angeles, California, US

Eric212Grapher wrote:
Looking for advice...

cancel first offer to quell conscience. Attempt to book Mod 2.

Jul 10 18 03:39 pm Link

Artist/Painter

Hunter GWPB

King of Prussia, Pennsylvania, US

Only wait as long as you are comfortable.  It is courteous for you to send a cancellation and a polite explanation.  There is always a possibility that there is a legitimate reason for being out of touch.  But with voice mail messages being easy to change, and automatic email replies, you would think it would be easy enough to say, "Hey, I am climbing Kilimanjaro this week for my grandmother's funeral.  I will get back to you if I survive."  Otherwise, it seems that no reply is the current acceptable etiquette for cutting off a conversation and you should proceed accordingly.

But be prepared for her to tell you that you read it wrong, and the fault is yours and you should pay her for the cancellation.

Jul 10 18 03:40 pm Link

Model

Model MoRina

MacMurdo - permanent station of the US, Sector claimed by New Zealand, Antarctica

Just send a message to the first model "I didn't hear back from you to confirm, so I booked a different model for that date.  Good luck on your trip and let me know when you pass through again."

Jul 10 18 03:53 pm Link

Photographer

Greg Kolack

Elmhurst, Illinois, US

MoRina wrote:
Just send a message to the first model "I didn't hear back from you to confirm, so I booked a different model for that date.  Good luck on your trip and let me know when you pass through again."

Yes...

I would venture to say you will not hear back from her.

Jul 10 18 04:34 pm Link

Photographer

AgX

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

Hunter  GWPB wrote:
Only wait as long as you are comfortable.

MoRina wrote:

It's not any more complicated than this.

Jul 11 18 09:27 pm Link

Photographer

Keith Moody

Phoenix, Arizona, US

One of two things is happening here:  she is either UNABLE to respond or UNWILLING to respond.  I'm leaning toward unwilling.  She has changed her mind and can't bring herself to tell you.  Move on to the next model...

Jul 11 18 09:45 pm Link

Photographer

3 Leaves Left Imaging

Hoboken, New Jersey, US

In reference to the main topic, go with a bird in the hand. You have to protect yourself, there could be reason the model hasn't gotten back to you but it's best to go with a sure thing.

On a side note, I really find it frustrating but it is so common these days for no response to be the response. Having had this happen to me a few times that if someone is trying to contact me to shoot and I lose interest or have to cancel I always will inform them. Its common courtesy, something that seems to be in short supply these days. Sorry, I don't mean to sound bitter, I take it in stride.

Jul 13 18 08:03 pm Link

Photographer

Bob Helm Photography

Cherry Hill, New Jersey, US

Keith nailed it. One way or another move on.

I would send an email saying I hope you are ok but since I haven't heard from you I have had to make other plans and leave the door open if you really want to work with her and she wasn't able to respond.

Jul 14 18 07:17 am Link

Photographer

PhotoACR

Los Angeles, California, US

Models will usually not respond if they are no longer interested or have made other plans. Just be nice and considerate by sending her a message that you did not hear from her in a timely manner so you booked another model. Happens quite often.

Jul 14 18 07:54 am Link

Photographer

63fotos

Flagstaff, Arizona, US

Eric212Grapher wrote:
Looking for advice...

Unfortunately, I find this to be pretty common, and on the occasion where the model contacts me at the last minute, they act like nothing is wrong. I don't know, maybe this has become a societal thing.

Jul 14 18 07:58 am Link

Photographer

FIFTYONE PHOTOGRAPHY

Uniontown, Pennsylvania, US

Eric212Grapher wrote:
Advice: Model stops communicating

Game Over.

Jul 14 18 08:07 am Link

Photographer

TouchofEleganceStudios

Vallejo, California, US

Advice to models out there:

Your cell phone as well as google has a "Calendar". Use it.

When I am working on doing a shoot with a model and we reach an agreement on date and time right away I put it into my calendar. That way if another model wants to shoot on that same day I can look at my calendar to see that I am already booked. It also prevents me from booking two models on the same day 50 miles apart.

Jul 14 18 08:23 am Link

Photographer

Jowady

Austin, Texas, US

Put me down as another polite not, something like "since I haven't heard from you I have had to go in another direction"I hope all is well with you...  And now go to Model B.

Jul 14 18 08:27 am Link