Forums > Model Colloquy > What is appealing about shibari?

Photographer

Znude!

Baton Rouge, Louisiana, US

IMAGINERIES wrote:
http://illusion.scene360.com/art/97256/ … otography/

As a photographer these pictures......

As a participant not sure....

Wow. The one of the woman hanging from a tree over water would be extremely dangerous here in Louisiana. We would call that gator bait.

Mar 05 19 03:39 pm Link

Photographer

shibarifann

Raleigh, North Carolina, US

Mar 14 19 06:01 am Link

Photographer

shibarifann

Raleigh, North Carolina, US

Mar 14 19 06:01 am Link

Photographer

NFGphoto

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia

ZMPHOT   wrote:
My reaction to the subject is that it is unadulterated KINK...None of the female models  ever are smiling...

I shoot a lot of shibari (instagram: NFGrope, a badly chosen name I know) and there are plenty of smiling models in there. 

I am totally uninterested in bondage as a kink thing.  No judgement on those who do like it that way, but it's not for me.  I do it for several reasons:

1. It's a challenge.  It's really very difficult to do, and I like seeing my progress as I improve my skills.
2. My models love it.  As audience and as participants, it's incredibly popular.
3. Finally, an answer to the question 'what do I do with my arms!?'
4. It's about trust.  My models trust me to be responsible with them while they're bound, and I take that seriously.

Generally I only work with models I've shot before - getting that close to a stranger is a very different dynamic.

So no, it's not a kink thing, not for everyone.  And hey, it's not for everyone, but it sure seems to be for a lot of people.  smile

Mar 19 19 05:45 am Link

Photographer

AgX

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

NFGphoto wrote:
3. Finally, an answer to the question 'what do I do with my arms!?'

I very much enjoyed this. smile

Mar 19 19 06:00 am Link

Photographer

Photo Jen B

Surprise, Arizona, US

Laura UnBound wrote:
It's history is torture.

It's fine if someone sees it no different than a prop or article of clothing - it's ok for stuff to just look cool without anything deeper.

True, superficial shallowness is perfectly cool too.

I mean, to each our own interpretations to things.

Apr 05 19 08:14 pm Link

Photographer

Photo Jen B

Surprise, Arizona, US

NFGphoto wrote:
So no, it's not a kink thing, not for everyone.  And hey, it's not for everyone, but it sure seems to be for a lot of people.  smile

Hi,

Well I guess it isn't as much a kink thing as I thought but, just something neat that some folks think is kewl.

Okay.

It could be that I have this nerdy sense of weird literalness sometimes, (although very flexible in thought other times.)

I just don't really find it cool. Not that I care if other people do.

Thank you, I enjoyed your reply.

Apr 05 19 08:20 pm Link

Photographer

Shutterdoc Photography

San Jose, California, US

It is considered both an aesthetic appeal and a sexual fetish. The art of tying the rope can be bonding with the model in a very d/s way. I just submitted this shot to the MM fetish of the week, see contest forum
https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/45268241

And tying the model will necessitate physical contact. Now the model in this photo who is tied up happens to be my wife, so physically touching her while tying her was totally fine, but just keep that in mind when doing shibari shoots that there is significant physical contact.

Apr 06 19 01:30 pm Link

Photographer

dreamcatcher

Sydney, New South Wales, Australia

Jorge Kreimer wrote:
I agree it's a sexual thing. It personally does nothing for me either.

Kind of same here. Sure if done by a master and with the right model it can be appealing, but just not my cup of tea.

Apr 08 19 07:04 am Link

Photographer

Jim Duvall

Seattle, Washington, US

The models never say

"What should I do wit my hands?"

Apr 09 19 08:54 pm Link