Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > How to hide sweating during photoshoots?

Photographer

Igor Heifetz

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US

I was about to post this this question but decide to try the power of Google and found a wonderful answer to my question. It is so good I want to share it with you guys. Add your own methods if they are not listed here!

+++by birdpix from Daytona Beach, FL+++

I am a typical disgusting hot sweaty bloke.

I live and work in Florida, it's humid here all the time and I am a VERY HEAVY sweat producer - I mean dripping, soaking sweat.

It does not look professional, but it is in my genes (my skinny dad did too) and it's JUST as bad now that I am a fat old man as back when I was a very skinny teen/young adult w/28 in. waist/128 lbs..

It's been a reality all my life and you learn to deal the best you can...

I do several things to help the issue a bit...

Be clean. Sweating is unavoidable, smelling is not. Apply lots of powder (gold bond, etc) in key areas to help avoid rash issues with overheating. Be sure you are using an antipersparent deodarant.

I wear "high tech" performance clothing designed for hot environs such as found at Bannana Republic, etc., incuding moisture wicking tee shirts, underwear, socks. I ALWAYS have on an undershirt to help absord the sweat on my back and underarms.

There are ALWAYS clean washcloths and paper towels in my camera bag for wiping down sweaty face, forehead.

If I'm shooting an event or on location where I'll be unloading the vehicle in hot, humid weather and then setting up gear, I bring at least one entire change of clothing and step into a restroom before I actually start shooting, wipe down, and put on the dry clothes. I also have another outfit for when I am all done shooting and packing the van, which makes my drive back feel a lot nicer.

Anti-fog treatments for my eyeglasses and on my camera LCD protector are a must. My face gets hot and humid while working and I often have condensation laden LCD screen or fogged glasses as a result. I've tried a bunch of different ones, but the "Pink stick stuff" (sorry, no name on mine here) seems to last longest and be best for my glasses in particular.

USE CARE. I have dripped on cameras and lenses before and it aint good for 'em! I'll be sure to wipe off my face and forehead as a hard=fast rule before I ever unzip the top on my camera bag and lean over it to avoid any little drops falling in by accident.

One last thing - warn people before they hug you. I am sure to tell dance studio owners and some long term client parents that are big huggers while we are there shooting whenever they start to hug me that I am sweaty and gross. Most still do it, but they were warned at least and can avoid hugging the dripping back a bit too hard.

If it's all too much, just move to Alaska perhaps... smile

Original can be found here: https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/2004446

Aug 22 18 09:26 am Link

Photographer

TEB-Art Photo

Carrboro, North Carolina, US

When I go from AC in the Summer to an outdoor location, I try not to over-cool my car on the way so my camera lenses have a chance to equilibrate and not be fogged when I arrive.

Do you have any mold growth on gear problems down in FLA?

Me? I'm a mosquito magnet. No amount of DEET helps (and DEET can be tough on plastics, like cameras). So, I cover up outside, in the heat, sometimes, like a nut case....

Aug 22 18 09:34 am Link

Clothing Designer

GRMACK

Bakersfield, California, US

I shoot in the desert and there are times when some of the backgrounders shoot those BTS photos with me in the scene and it looks like I have underarm waterfalls.  Gross!

I stuff a large microfiber cloth in my back hip pocket to help with the sweat stuff.  It also works as an oven mitt when grabbing black tripods or lightstands that become too hot to touch.  Also, I have one of those motorcycle water-gel neck coolers that you soak in water and it does help to keep you somewhat cooler and less sweaty.

I know what you mean about dripping on the gear.  I thought I was having a stroke once when I saw the LCD become an inky black, but the camera just got sun baked.  It cooled down and healed itself.  Now I toss an insulated blanket over it to protect it and it seems to keep it about 40 degrees cooler and at least I can touch it.

https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/150124/16/54c43cb2d195a.jpg

Aug 22 18 09:50 am Link

Photographer

martin b

Manila, National Capital Region, Philippines

The Philippines is also hot and humid.  I pack a bunch of moisture absorders in and around my camera equipment to help with the mildew and I keep my equipment in a dry box.   In my car I try to keep lot's of extra small towels and a couple of extra changes of clothes.  I also am a user of both antipersperant and some corn starch, usually johnson's baby powder.  I try not to get overheated at events and weddings by giving myself a chair if possible.  Some churches don't have air conditioning  and I don't like standing in front of fans when I have video because it kills my sound so I suffer.

I would also like to see more ideas from other shooters.

Aug 22 18 10:05 am Link

Photographer

Roy Hubbard

East Stroudsburg, Pennsylvania, US

These are great ideas, and I have the same issue though it comes and goes.

I shot next to a body of water last month, and the model jokingly said she didn't noticed I'd taken a dip.

Aug 22 18 10:21 am Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

I was photographing models in the Arizona desert last April.  It was 90 degrees and very dry for 2 days.
Even though I drank plenty of water, I did not sweat or pee.    smile

Aug 22 18 11:36 am Link

Photographer

sospix

Orlando, Florida, US

I shoot at the beach  .  .  .  and don't get within twenty feet of the models  .  .  .  and stand down wind  .  .  .  and faint if anyone gets within smellin' range of me  .  .  .  course I'm old as dirt, so there's always some sorta strange smell eminating from somewhere on me  .  .  .  bein' an ogre in a hot, humid environ has it's limitations  .  .  .  wink

SOS

Aug 22 18 03:02 pm Link

Photographer

the lonely photographer

Beverly Hills, California, US

sospix wrote:
I shoot at the beach  .  .  .  and don't get within twenty feet of the models  .  .  .  and stand down wind  .  .  .  and faint if anyone gets within smellin' range of me  .  .  .  course I'm old as dirt, so there's always some sorta strange smell eminating from somewhere on me  .  .  .  bein' an ogre in a hot, humid environ has it's limitations  .  .  .  wink

SOS

old people start to smell bad for no good reason maybe its the smell of death...sad   the OP didnt seek a doctors opinion?   Sometimes an application of aluminum hydroxide helps  some stores still sell it as a rock...maybe they listed it as a carcinogen   like everything else...

Aug 22 18 03:48 pm Link

Retoucher

B Imaging SC

Charleston, South Carolina, US

I'm the same way.  I sweat in a 100 MPH wind if its hot and humid while shooting.  It is what it is.  Just assure the model you might look like you're dying but you are fine. LOL 

Maybe limit your salt in-take. Wear light colored and light weight cotton.

Aug 22 18 04:32 pm Link

Photographer

Orca Bay Images

Arcata, California, US

B Imaging SC wrote:
Maybe limit your salt in-take.

Why would you want to reduce your salt intake if you're sweating up a storm? That's a good way to fuck up your electrolyte levels. You need to replace the sodium you're sweating off.

Aug 22 18 08:34 pm Link

Photographer

Orca Bay Images

Arcata, California, US

At indoor shoots where I might be sweating a lot, I often have a second fan on the set. One for the model and wind effects and one for me.

I wear black tee-shirts so the sweat won't show and I change shirts as needed. And I just accept the fact that I sweat easily.

Aug 22 18 08:38 pm Link

Photographer

FFantastique

Orlando, Florida, US

Huge fan?!

Aug 23 18 05:40 am Link

Photographer

FIFTYONE PHOTOGRAPHY

Uniontown, Pennsylvania, US

Igor Heifetz wrote:
How to hide sweating during photoshoots?

With the humidity here during the Summer Months You simply can't.

Aug 23 18 07:55 am Link

Photographer

A Thousand Words

Lakeland, Florida, US

I don't sweat. I glow.

Aug 28 18 07:02 am Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

Orca Bay Images wrote:

Why would you want to reduce your salt intake if you're sweating up a storm? That's a good way to fuck up your electrolyte levels. You need to replace the sodium you're sweating off.

You need to replace your electrolytes in hot weather.

Aug 28 18 08:08 am Link

Model

Laura UnBound

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

It may not look great on wedding or commercial gigs, but I think a lot of personal one-on-one bookings are gonna understand when it's blazing hot outside, most of the time we're hot too.

OP is right about not having to stink. If your sweat straight out of your body has a seriously strong or foul odor you should be checking with your doctor about your diet, sweat generally only has a super offensive smell once it's old and stale and you've been stewing in it all day long. (your sweat isnt gonna smell good but you shouldnt be offending people across a room the minute you start sweating, if you immediately smell that bad theres something going on in your body)

Rather than trying to mask it with a shitton of body spray, wear extra strength antiperspirant and just have a change of shirt (or several) on hand for when you're done. You can pack some wet wipes if you want to towel off before changing clothes and getting into a car or close quarters with someone.

As for powders - just be careful what your using and where theyre going. (if you care about such things) Talcum and some other chemicals found in stuff like gold bond and baby powder are endocrine disruptors that fucks up your hormones, fertility, cause cancer, etc etc. The EUs banned them I believe but the states is falling pretty far behind on that kind of stuff. Dousing yourself in the stuff is probably not your best idea.

Aug 28 18 04:13 pm Link

Photographer

goofus

Santa Barbara, California, US

in my studio..it's blazing hot in the summer and freezing in the winter

I keep the fan or the heater aimed at the models

so in the summers.. I'm sweating like a stuck pig..

I don't do nuthing about it..

I have towels about so I can wipe my face..but that's it

I don't have to look good - that's the models job

Sep 20 18 10:43 am Link