Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > Ever Order Delivery Food (e.g. Grubhub)?

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

Today's a good example:  I had a productive but tiring day, and I don't feel like cooking or going out.  I've often been tempted by these food delivery services, like Grubhub.  Some restaurants charge an extra $2 for delivery, but on days like today, that might be worth it.

Do any of you use such a service?
...  Whatcha think?
...  Do you tip your delivery person?  (I'm inclined to tip).  If so, how much?
...  Are there any foods that lend itself to delivery?  Any foods to avoid?
...  Any other thoughts?

Note:  I live downtown & a lot of these restaurants are pretty close by.

Aug 23 18 03:17 pm Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

No.

My daughter is picking up our dinner this evening.

Aug 23 18 03:24 pm Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

Jerry Nemeth wrote:
No.

My daughter is picking up our dinner this evening.

Good deal.  Where can I get a "daughter" & how much does a "daughter" cost?

Aug 23 18 04:28 pm Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

You have to learn this by yourself!

Aug 23 18 04:31 pm Link

Photographer

FIFTYONE PHOTOGRAPHY

Uniontown, Pennsylvania, US

Looknsee Photography wrote:

Daughters, be careful what You wish for....

Aug 23 18 04:55 pm Link

Photographer

the lonely photographer

Beverly Hills, California, US

food usually cold by the time you get it...I live in LA   Los Angeles) absolute pure unadulterated hell to get anywhere. major suck trying to find a parking spot anywhere...I get why grubhub and its ilk exist.. i stay in my car order some unhealthy drive thru food and slowly die. LA sucks   really  too many negatives quality of life issues.

Aug 23 18 05:57 pm Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

the lonely photographer wrote:
food usually cold by the time you get it...I live in LA   Los Angeles) absolute pure unadulterated hell to get anywhere. major suck trying to find a parking spot anywhere...I get why grubhub and its ilk exist.. i stay in my car order some unhealthy drive thru food and slowly die. LA sucks   really  too many negatives quality of life issues.

Sorry to hear that.  But here, downtown, there are hundreds of great restaurants within 5-10 minutes, and there's a "loading" spot right outside.  Plus, at dinnertime, there's often parking nearby.  When I order pizza (rarely), it arrives plenty warm.

Aug 23 18 07:35 pm Link

Photographer

Orca Bay Images

Arcata, California, US

I once ordered a heap of Chili's food to my hotel room while on a business trip in Vegas. Don't recall if it was Grubhub or some other service, but it was fairly fast, all the food was still hot, and they got the order completely right.

I tipped around 20%.

Aug 23 18 09:05 pm Link

Photographer

Black Z Eddie

San Jacinto, California, US

Just for the heck of it, I tried GrubHub just now.  Haha, for my area, there are only 3 places (2 pizza and 1 Chinese) to choose from.  Tried the Chinese.  Delivery was normal (35 mins).  I'll most likely use again for days I just wanna be an Al Bundy on the couch.

Aug 24 18 04:30 pm Link

Model

IDiivil

Los Angeles, California, US

I love ordering food to my door. I use Grubhub, Yelp Eats, Amazon Restaurant, Door Dash, and anything else that helps me get what I wanna eat.

Do double check the prices against the restaurant's menu, however. Some delivery services add hidden charges to the actual food orders, so even though you see "Free Delivery" and other nice incentives, you're actually still paying for it (and oftentimes for more cost than just paying the delivery free upfront, etc).

I tip.

I never order anything via delivery that can get soggy easily. Like, fried chicken that comes with sauce on top? I ask for the sauce on the side so it isn't a lumpy mess by the time I get it.

Aug 24 18 04:58 pm Link

Photographer

JordanK

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

I order from Uber Eats multiple times a week. When I'm slammed working I don't care about a $1.49 delivery fee for the convenience. Depending on the driver I will tip a couple bucks.

Aug 24 18 05:32 pm Link

Photographer

Mr HOGs Poetry

Weaverville, North Carolina, US

The ready-to-cook delivery services like Blue Apron are worth checking out as well.

Aug 24 18 05:55 pm Link

Photographer

Lightcraft Studio

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

I order from either DoorDash or GrubHub 2 or 3 times a month. I add the tip ahead of time via the ordering app, so I don't have to fuss with cash at the front door.

It's quite convenient.

Aug 24 18 05:58 pm Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

Yeah, I've noticed the disparity in prices (online vs. take out menu), and with the delivery fee, a delivered meal can be 30%+ more expensive, but I just figure that's the price I pay for being lazy.

Aug 24 18 07:24 pm Link

Photographer

Lightcraft Studio

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Yeah, I've noticed the disparity in prices (online vs. take out menu), and with the delivery fee, a delivered meal can be 30%+ more expensive, but I just figure that's the price I pay for being lazy.

If you had a fulltime butler on your staff you could just send him out to fetch food for you, at zero extra cost.

Aug 24 18 09:51 pm Link

Photographer

portraiturebyBrent

Round Rock, Texas, US

I've used GrubHub once because our favorite, locally-owned pizza place doesn't have their own delivery personnel, and I was too tired and sweaty to feel like going myself. Now I get emails from GrubHub every, single, freakin' day. Geez.

There's a Chinese restaurant we order from once or twice a month that does their own delivery. They add a $3 delivery charge to the order and I'll tip a minimum of $5 at the door. They are the ones having to deal with the Texas heat, horrific traffic, wear-and-tear on their vehicles, etc. My time is more valuable to me, even if I'm not doing a damn thing, like "wasting" my time on a forum somewhere.

If you have to ask, you can't afford it. Trust me. Keep paying those delivery fees!

Aug 25 18 03:05 am Link

Photographer

Brian K PHOTO

Summerville, South Carolina, US

I have never ordered any food that was delivered. Just want to comment about the delivery people, like servers, they dont get paid very much and depend on tips to make a living. Sure you can sometimes add a tip when ordering thru an app but do the delivery people always get it?  A friend of mine worked as a bartender and server years ago. Recently she had to find other work and went back to bartending and serving. Guess what, times have changed, customers now dont carry cash for tips and if they do add a tip to the bill the workers may never see it as management finds a way to keep it.

Aug 25 18 01:21 pm Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

Brian K PHOTO wrote:
I have never ordered any food that was delivered. Just want to comment about the delivery people, like servers, they dont get paid very much and depend on tips to make a living. Sure you can sometimes add a tip when ordering thru an app but do the delivery people always get it?

I order pizza to be delivered maybe 3-4 times a year.  I've asked that question of the people who take my order and of the delivery people, and they assure me that tips are shared.  I have the option of adding a tip to the credit card receipt when I sign it.

Nevertheless, I do slip the delivery person a few dollar bills, too.  Especially if it's raining.  That's about the only reason I use cash.

Aug 25 18 07:39 pm Link

Model

Laura UnBound

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

ive used doordash, foodora, skip the dishes, ubereats, seamless web

A thing that it seems every platform does that I fucking hate and I wish the platforms would punish the restaurants for, is that the restaurants are in charge of showing themselves as "open" or not. So they can show themselves as open, you place an order, you get charged, and anywhere from five to THIRTY MINUTES LATER someone might call you to tell you that you're not getting your food because the restaurant has decided theyre too busy or are wanting to close and wont take your order. More than once I placed my order late at night as everyone was closing up, so by the time I got the call a half hour later that my food was never showing up, everything had closed and I didnt have another option. One restaurant didnt turn themselves off for a holiday when they were actually totally closed, my delivery guy showed up to the restaurant, found them closed, and left without telling the service or me. That night my MiL was on a strict eating schedule for medical reasons, so we had to rush out to a corner store to find some junk food so she could have a dinner on time. All they ever do is apologize and give me $5 credits. I dont want cheaper food I want the fucking service to just WORK. I'll even pay MORE if theyd just crack down on their restaurants pulling bullshit like that. They also dont punish their restaurants for not keeping their menus up to date, so you'll place an order and get a call that half your choices aren't available. You of course wont get an immediate refund either, its gonna take a couple days, so it can really fuck with peoples money if they dont have a lot of spare cash to throw around on dinner orders they're never getting, but the services really dont seem to care. Skip The Dishes hasnt been too bad about that so far, I use them probably once a week and they've only had to cancel an order for me maybe twice.

I always tip 20% or more. Most of our delivery people are on bikes, and I tend to order out on bad weather nights, but also you should just fuckin tip service industry people because its the right thing to do.

Pasta or steak are iffy, I usually wont order it from the other side of town. Just about everything else I've ordered travels okay. Stuff can get a bit soggy if its in the containers for a long time, especially fries, so again I try to be mindful of where it's coming from before I pick.

Aug 25 18 07:47 pm Link

Photographer

Jim Shibley

Phoenix, Arizona, US

I was to cheap for delivery until I couldn’t drive for 6 months. I started ordering pizza, Chinese & Thai. Enough for 3-4 meals. I try to tip the driver in cash. We have uber-eats now & others as well. Also lots of food trucks that set-up in the evenings. I stopped for tacos & a Sonoran hot dog at a food truck in the parking of the local strip club.

Aug 26 18 05:21 am Link

Photographer

hbutz New York

Ronkonkoma, New York, US

The one delivery experience I had was a pleasant one.  Food was hot for a restaurant 20min away,  I tipped well as I did not want to drive 40min to pick it up myself.

I tried a second time ordering from the online menu of a German restaurant.  They called back to say the place went out of business months ago but the menu was still on-line.  So, next time I tried ordering from a breakfast place which took on-line orders.  I got there to pick up my food... and, they forgot to read my order off the computer so I still had to wait 20min for them to make it.

Other times I cannot get them to commit to delivery at 11:45am-12:15pm so I can have lunch at noon.  They always tell me they won't deliver before 12:30pm.

Aug 26 18 05:57 am Link

Photographer

All Yours Photography

Lawton, Oklahoma, US

Laura UnBound wrote:
ive used doordash, foodora, skip the dishes, ubereats, seamless web

A thing that it seems every platform does that I fucking hate and I wish the platforms would punish the restaurants for, is that the restaurants are in charge of showing themselves as "open" or not. So they can show themselves as open, you place an order, you get charged, and anywhere from five to THIRTY MINUTES LATER someone might call you to tell you that you're not getting your food because the restaurant has decided theyre too busy or are wanting to close and wont take your order.

I worked for a local restaurant delivery service for a few years.  The way dispatching works is that they don't send your order to the restaurant until they have a driver available to pick it up at about the time it will be ready so that it is still hot when you get it.  Part of the time the back up is at the restaurant, but sometimes it is the delivery service that is slammed.  It may be that by the time they had a driver available, the restaurant was closed.  Normally, if the restaurant got the order before closing time, they would make it.

Toledo is a mid-sized city and the average delivery would take me about 45 minutes to get from where ever I was when I got the order to the restaurant to the customer, so maybe 4 deliveries in 3 hours.  My portion of the delivery charge (I got all but 50 cents of it) would cover my gas with just a bit left over.  Tips are critical.

The service made their money by getting a discount (20% or 25%) from the restaurant plus raising the restaurant menu prices by 5%.

If you are considering ordering breakfast food, make it pancakes or french toast that you can microwave a bit.  Eggs get cold very quickly.  Scrambled eggs can be rewarmed, but over easy, forget it.

Aug 26 18 03:11 pm Link

Photographer

Jason McKendricks

Chico, California, US

I frequently order from Foodjets and Entree Express.

Of course I tip the driver. Generally about $5; a little more if the delivery is complicated.

Aug 26 18 05:36 pm Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

I'm thinking, "Why does the driver get all the love (tips)?"  I mean, shouildn't the cook & the person who takes my order also get a taste of the tip? 

I'm thinking about adding a tip onto the credit card receipt and slipping the driver a little cash.  Thoughts?

Aug 26 18 07:26 pm Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

Now that I think about it, the local grocery store features home delivery of on-line orders, often within 2 hours.  I tried it once when I was feeling sick.

For prepackaged stuff (like cereal or cans of tuna, etc.) it was fine.

For produce (like fresh veggies & meats), the person choosing each was not very discerning.

Aug 27 18 09:08 am Link

Photographer

rfordphotos

Antioch, California, US

I have not been inside a grocery store in 7 or 8 years, I have all my groceries delivered.

I no longer drive, and there is no useful public transport here, so I would have to take a cab or Uber to the store/restaurant, and back. (Round trip cab- ~$35, round trip Uber ~$15-18)

Safeway will deliver my groceries next day, and there is no delivery charge with a minimum order. The prices for groceries online match the in-store prices. They also offer same day, at no additional charge, but slots are a little limited sometimes. The will put them on my kitchen counter for me.

If I want groceries within a couple hours, Instacart will deliver them, but there is a premium charge. (runs about 10% typically). I am generally not in any hurry smile

I guess I am not as picky as some, I have never had any complaints about the produce or other fresh foods selected for me.

As for restaurant food- I have the occasional pizza, Chinese, Indian or sushi delivered. Grubhub/Eat24, and DoorDash are the two active services here so far, UberEats hasnt gotten this far into the sticks yet.

Safeway does not allow their delivery folks to accept tips.

I tip other food deliveries between a minimum of $5 and ~15% of the order.

As for foods that travel well? Cold stuff is a no brainer, it gets here cold. Hot food? Proximity to the restaurant  is key. Crunchy stuff- doesnt typically travel well. Thank Gawd for microwave ovens smile

Aug 27 18 11:48 am Link

Photographer

Leonard Gee Photography

Sacramento, California, US

...  Any other thoughts?

to me, it's a non-issue. cooking a pasta dish takes me about 15 minutes in one pot. easy to clean and inexpensive. there are many other things i can cook easily and fast. delivery and tip runs up to 20-30% more and by the time they get to my door, i can cook and clean up and be done. having the pantry setup with things that cook fast helps.

couscous & veggies is super fast, boil some broth, throw in veggies for a minute, toss in the couscous and shut off heat. grill something and serve about 10 minutes. omelettes are also quick. been known to make a salad or lion's head tortellini (in peas, zucchini, carrots, avocado & white sauce) in about 20 minutes.

then there is the small thread you had a while ago about eliminating plastic use.... food to go uses up extra stuff and certainly doesn't help. (assuming you don't buy fresh produce packaged in plastic.) it's great that people like to do it and are able to do it. for me there are easier solutions and lower impact.

Aug 27 18 04:48 pm Link

Model

Laura UnBound

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

All Yours Photography wrote:
I worked for a local restaurant delivery service for a few years.  The way dispatching works is that they don't send your order to the restaurant until they have a driver available to pick it up at about the time it will be ready so that it is still hot when you get it.  Part of the time the back up is at the restaurant, but sometimes it is the delivery service that is slammed.  It may be that by the time they had a driver available, the restaurant was closed.  Normally, if the restaurant got the order before closing time, they would make it.

Toledo is a mid-sized city and the average delivery would take me about 45 minutes to get from where ever I was when I got the order to the restaurant to the customer, so maybe 4 deliveries in 3 hours.  My portion of the delivery charge (I got all but 50 cents of it) would cover my gas with just a bit left over.  Tips are critical.

The service made their money by getting a discount (20% or 25%) from the restaurant plus raising the restaurant menu prices by 5%.

If you are considering ordering breakfast food, make it pancakes or french toast that you can microwave a bit.  Eggs get cold very quickly.  Scrambled eggs can be rewarmed, but over easy, forget it.

I'm not sure that our services work that way. At least on the customer's end, the platform doesn't show that a driver has been dispatched until after the order is placed and the restaurant has confirmed it. SkipTheDishes specifically states that a driver will be matched to you once the restaurant is close to finishing your order. We're a pretty dense city with a bajillion people riding for these services so its rare that one cant be found, but in the event that it is hard to get someone you get a notification that its going to take longer because the service is busy.

I think that at least some of the platforms allow restaurants to either automatically confirm or manually confirm, because sometimes I get immediate confirmations for restaurants only to get a call from the service that actually theyre declining (or I have to call the service to find out what the fuck is going on because its been over an hour and its still showing as confirmed but nobody has been sent out to pick it up and they tell me that the restaurant has actually changed their mind) but other times I put in a request and I just get essentially put on hold for 15+ minutes waiting to see that my order is confirmed, and I contact support and they have to call the restaurant to find out why theyre not confirming and wind up cancelling my order for me because the restaurant is showing as open when theyre not actually taking orders. Sometimes it will take 10+ minutes but they eventually confirm without me contacting support, and sometimes they confirm immediately (and I actually get my order).

Aug 28 18 12:33 am Link