Forums > General Industry > Copyright sports images on TV's

Photographer

SubDomImages

Torquay, England, United Kingdom

I've been taking photos of pubs in the UK, for my client who owns the buildings, and some of the pics I've taken in sports bars show cricket/football etc on the TV's is this an allowed usage?

Is it ok if it doesn't show a recognisable face?

Any information would be gratefully received.

Sep 01 18 02:21 am Link

Photographer

SayCheeZ!

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

U.S, copyright law permits things that are 'incidental to a scene' such as a painting on a wall, a photo on a desk, or something on a TV screen.  I'd be surprised if UK or any other country's law were any different.

----------------------
UK Copyright law  section 8, fourth one down the list
https://www.copyrightservice.co.uk/copy … yright_law

Sep 01 18 06:24 am Link

Photographer

AgX

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

Relatively few people seeing your legal question are in the UK. An exceptionally small fraction of those are solicitors. An infinitesimally small number of those are trained, well-versed, and endorsed to practice media and copyright law. Zero percent of the people who will respond here (including me) have any liability or culpability should their advice lead you into a contradiction of the law.

Given those numbers, what is the chance that you’ll actually get the correct response here, and how willing are you to take those risks?

Sep 01 18 08:35 am Link

Photographer

SayCheeZ!

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

AgX wrote:
Zero percent of the people who will respond here (including me) have any liability or culpability should their advice lead you into a contradiction of the law.

I love when people chime in with these kinds of warnings.about basic law.
Yes, I agree, you should always seek the advice of a attorney that specializes in traffic law when asking if it's legal to drive through a green traffic light.

Sep 01 18 10:04 am Link

Photographer

SayCheeZ!

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Cunning-linguists wrote:

If it's a regular gig and you want to avoid ANY problems you should have the TV's display some sort of logo of the bar or stock image that you shot.  Many TV's have input devices or Roku type of converters built in which make it pretty easy to do.

Sep 01 18 12:40 pm Link

Photographer

Aaron Pawlak

New York, New York, US

Cunning-linguists wrote:
I've been taking photos of pubs in the UK, for my client who owns the buildings, and some of the pics I've taken in sports bars show cricket/football etc on the TV's is this an allowed usage?

Is it ok if it doesn't show a recognisable face?

Just blur the image on the tv screen, in photoshop.

Sep 02 18 09:50 pm Link