Forums > Photography Talk > Camera operation books.

Clothing Designer

GRMACK

Bakersfield, California, US

Anyone ever buy a book on "How do I work this camera?"

Specifically, did it help you?

I was looking for one to help me understand more of the Olympus E-1 Mark II and found one by Darrell Young ( https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/16819 … &psc=1 ), but it is over 620 pages and 2.5 pounds of paper (And weighs more than the camera too!).  I know the Olympus operation menu is deep, but really does it take 620+ pages to get through all of it?  Some of the reviewers say it took him 14 months to write it and get it out so the menu depth must be a lot more than what I know of.  Fwiw, the online Olympus one is a mere 196 pages (ahem!).

Don't know about the Kindle version which is $10 less as it would probably need a lot of battery recharging to get through it.  Plus, I like to mark stuff up with notes and fold corners as markers.

Sep 08 18 01:07 pm Link

Photographer

Weldphoto

Charleston, South Carolina, US

My Nikon D810 came with a 499 page (including index) manual in tiny print. It has enough information to keep me busy for months. But when I need something, it covers it nicely. I have no need for another weighty tome to burden my weak mind. 
Rather than more pages, I do like and use YouTube for some things. And they are free and weigh nothing!

I think my first Nikon F's manual was 12 pages in readable print.

Sep 08 18 03:22 pm Link

Photographer

Red Sky Photography

Germantown, Maryland, US

Long ago, when I was shooting film, I bought a couple of Magic Lantern books. Two of them on bodies and one on lenses I still have.

The books that come with new cameras are very detailed so I don't see the need for an additional reference. I see they are still in business.

Sep 09 18 06:11 am Link

Photographer

Vector One Photography

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US

Weldphoto wrote:
I think my first Nikon F's manual was 12 pages in readable print.

Yes, and it had pictures that explained everything.

Sep 24 18 02:55 pm Link

Photographer

Orca Bay Images

Arcata, California, US

Soon after I got my first digital, a Nikon D80, I bought an aftermarket book on the camera. I don't recall the publisher, but the aftermarket book was well organized and was a lot more helpful in troubleshooting problems and in exploring certain features of the camera. I often referred to both the original manual and the aftermarket.

Haven't done that since I graduated to a D610.

Sep 24 18 03:46 pm Link

Retoucher

B Imaging SC

Charleston, South Carolina, US

Those type of books are much larger because they go into detail and show examples of the way the features can be used.  You're buying a user manual and a photography lesson in one.  Magic Lantern and Hove - Fountain had a book on every camera at one time.  Usually written by a photographer.  Back then they were worth buying.  Now you can just watch Youtube videos.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_ … -1+Mark+II

Sep 24 18 03:49 pm Link

Photographer

Wilhelm Von Blum

Agoura Hills, California, US

Sep 24 18 07:18 pm Link