Forums > Photography Talk > amateur to professional

Photographer

alkeschwarz

Bristol, England, United Kingdom

what are some of the key things you guys think determine if someone is an amateur or a professional? I’ll reply if I agree!

Sep 09 18 03:32 pm Link

Photographer

Benjamin4784

New York, New York, US

alkeschwarz wrote:
what are some of the key things you guys think determine if someone is an amateur or a professional? I’ll reply if I agree!

If you get pay for shooting pics constantly, then you are professional.

Sep 09 18 03:42 pm Link

Photographer

Weldphoto

Charleston, South Carolina, US

I think a quick look at the Oxford dictionary will answer this question. Its not something that needs to be rehashed time and time again.  Words have meaning and should be used with care.

Sep 09 18 04:02 pm Link

Photographer

Isaiah Brink

Charlotte, North Carolina, US

alkeschwarz wrote:

The quality of their work.

Sep 09 18 10:01 pm Link

Photographer

Shot By Adam

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

It's really simple actually. If photography is your PROFESSION, then you are a PROFESSIONal.

Sep 09 18 10:37 pm Link

Photographer

Voy

Phoenix, Arizona, US

1) Portfolio
2) Clients
3) IRS

Sep 09 18 11:04 pm Link

Photographer

PhillipM

Nashville, Tennessee, US

When they start to call me Mr.Tibbs.

Sep 10 18 04:49 am Link

Photographer

Studio NSFW

Pacifica, California, US

A radioactive spider bite.

Sep 10 18 06:34 am Link

Photographer

martin b

Manila, National Capital Region, Philippines

A couple of weeks ago I was outed as being a fake professional by another photographer for using Portrait Pro 17  for post processing instead of Photo shop.  Btw, I paid for my software. Most photographers in Asia don't pay for their software.

Sep 10 18 06:35 am Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

martin b wrote:
A couple of weeks ago I was outed as being a fake professional by another photographer for using Portrait Pro 17  for post processing instead of Photo shop.  Btw, I paid for my software. Most photographers in Asia don't pay for their software.

I see nothing wrong with using Portrait Pro 17 if it does the job.
How did he know that you used it?

Sep 10 18 08:20 am Link

Photographer

martin b

We were at an event working on our laptops and he was curious and was looking over our shoulder.  We shoot tons of events and speed is our friend.  We edit a lot using plug ins and filters for lightroom and for luts for video editing.  I really don't know how others work but I am not an original artist as far as editing goes.  I mostly just want to get all my jobs out quickly and without stress.

Btw, I meet all kinds of other photographers from beginners to pros, most are nice when they see me working on an event.  Every once in a while there is someone who calls me out on equipment we use or techniques that he knows better than me.  They usually will point it out to my other shooter who is a pretty young lady in her twenties.  I'm glad she is good at handling herself.

Sep 10 18 08:59 am Link

Photographer

Abbitt Photography

Washington, Utah, US

Photography is your profession if over 50% of your income comes from photography.   I've generated income with my photography, but it was never close to 50% of my income, therefore I was never a professional photographer. 

You are a full time professional, at least according the DOL, BLS if you work 37 hours or more per week on average at your chosen profession.   If the BLS included everyone who made any income in their data it would create very biased representation as to what professionals in a filed earn.  I don't know what's magical about a 37 per hour a week threshold, but that's what they use.

Sep 10 18 09:05 am Link

Photographer

martin b

Abbitt Photography wrote:
You are a full time professional, at least according the DOL, BLS if you work 37 hours or more per week on average at your chosen profession.   If the BLS included everyone who made any income in their data it would create very biased representation as to what professionals in a filed earn.  I don't know what's magical about a 37 per hour a week threshold, but that's what they use.

I would change that to, "If you are busting your ass at least 37 hours a week".  The two photographers I work with around here in Manila have their own studios and work full time as photographers but their income comes mainly from old family money.  I still give them the title of photographer but most others consider them hobbyists because their money comes from other sources much more than photography.

It is a pet peeve of mine because most of the rich want to hang out with other wealthy people.  Being part of the social circle is the best way to get work.  I never begrudge photographers for starting off wealthy.

Sep 10 18 09:18 am Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

martin b wrote:
We were at an event working on our laptops and he was curious and was looking over our shoulder.  We shoot tons of events and speed is our friend.  We edit a lot using plug ins and filters for lightroom and for luts for video editing.  I really don't know how others work but I am not an original artist as far as editing goes.  I mostly just want to get all my jobs out quickly and without stress.

Btw, I meet all kinds of other photographers from beginners to pros, most are nice when they see me working on an event.  Every once in a while there is someone who calls me out on equipment we use or techniques that he knows better than me.  They usually will point it out to my other shooter who is a pretty young lady in her twenties.  I'm glad she is good at handling herself.

He was probably mad because he couldn't find a free copy for himself.   smile

Sep 10 18 11:13 am Link

Photographer

Zack Zoll

Glens Falls, New York, US

martin b wrote:

I use that too.

I don't like heavy retouching, and if you use a very light touch it's a really good program. If you want something heavier it's crap if course, but on those rare occasions I just hire someone else to do it.

I'm guessing that dude didn't understand the difference.

Sep 11 18 06:25 pm Link

Retoucher

Selena Jain

Nottingham, England, United Kingdom

You can easily spot an amateur by noticing these things below:

1. Photographers don’t carry their gear in backpacks because they need them when shooting. Backpacks are for carrying stuff those u need in campsite, like cooking gear and tent pegs.

2. Pros don’t carry too much stuff. They know exactly what they need and bring it.

3. The surest way to spot a hobbyist is that all his gear and tripods look brand new, and they probably are.

Sep 11 18 10:23 pm Link

Photographer

FIFTYONE PHOTOGRAPHY

Uniontown, Pennsylvania, US

Selena Jain wrote:

1. Photographers don’t carry their gear in backpacks because they need them when shooting. Backpacks are for carrying stuff those u need in campsite, like cooking gear and tent pegs.

2. Pros don’t carry too much stuff. They know exactly what they need and bring it.

3. The surest way to spot a hobbyist is that all his gear and tripods look brand new, and they probably are.

https://www.modelmayhem.com/forums/post/974181

The definition of Professional is clear,  a Professional earns a living from their chosen Profession.

Sep 12 18 12:39 am Link

Photographer

Black Z Eddie

San Jacinto, California, US

Selena Jain wrote:

Lol, this looks like a hand guide for the insecure wannabe Pro's.

Sep 12 18 01:48 am Link

Photographer

martin b

Zack Zoll wrote:

I use that too.

I don't like heavy retouching, and if you use a very light touch it's a really good program. If you want something heavier it's crap if course, but on those rare occasions I just hire someone else to do it.

I'm guessing that dude didn't understand the difference.

Yeah, I don't usually send out to retouchers unless it will be blown up big.  Our rule of thumb is after we think we are done retouching, take it down about 15%.  Most of my clients are over 40 and many over 60.  A little retouching even if it's just for an 8x10 souvenir hand shake picture gives things a more polished look.

Sep 12 18 02:37 am Link

Photographer

IMAGINERIES

New York, New York, US

Voy wrote:
1) Portfolio
2) Clients
3) IRS

Great answer except I would have placed the IRS #1!!

Sep 12 18 07:33 am Link

Photographer

Mike Collins

Orlando, Florida, US

Abbitt Photography wrote:
Photography is your profession if over 50% of your income comes from photography.   I've generated income with my photography, but it was never close to 50% of my income, therefore I was never a professional photographer.

I always here this “50%” thing.  I never really agree with it.  If you make money from some service you provided to someone, full or part time, you are a professional.  All the IRS cares about is that you pay taxes on it.  You ARE a professional if you receive money from it.  That’s what most amateur sports associations say. 

Now whether or not you are an independent contractor or employee is about all the IRS really cares about becuase you can or cannot deduct certain things depending on how you file.  You can be an independent contractor and still have another job or profession.  And you can have two or more “professions”.  A lot of people do.  The actual word “professional” really doens’t mean much when it comes to legal things.  Things like contractor, corporation, partnership, etc, does. 

If you can show me where the IRS or anyone else really defines what “professional”, for LEGAL purposes is, I’d love to see it.  I have yet to see anything that has to do with how much time you spend doing something to LEGALLY call you a professional.  I could be wrong.  But show me the actual government/legal definitions.

Sep 12 18 08:52 am Link

Photographer

goofus

Santa Barbara, California, US

you shoot stuff you do not like.. and it still looks great

a real pro ..not just a guy who may get paid to shoot..but a real pro
can take a ho-hum assignment and make it sing

I cannot do this..I gotta like something to make it work for me

kudos to the pros

Sep 12 18 09:46 am Link

Photographer

the lonely photographer

Beverly Hills, California, US

I don't know of any designation that photographers enjoy regarding the term "professional". Personally I'd put photography in the grouping as contractors, such as guys that do finish carpentry, build structures, dig and carve out dirt areas  for foundations...  as for the professional designations.  I'll give that to  the architects.  the engineers that design electrical systems...  as far as I know there are no official job titles for photographer... they tried that with real estate people creating the "realtor" designation...which means nothing to me...except they joined a group of people that does real estate.
If any of you are  offended  of my simplistic view   i'm a simple guy.... i don't get upset over something that doesnt exist. Nobody ever asked if I was a professional. As far as most people go if I know what I'm doing   i'm considered pro  lol!!

Sep 12 18 10:11 am Link

Photographer

Eric212Grapher

Saint Louis, Missouri, US

Since I'm not attempting to make a living from photography, I refer to myself as a serious amateur.

Some see amateur as a slight. I do not.
Some see professional as a mark of achievement. I do not.

I always laugh when someone calls gear a "professional camera." The camera does not magically trade it attributes depending on who is holding it.

Sep 12 18 11:20 am Link

Photographer

JT Life Photography

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

If 50.1% of my income is derived from photography, then photography is my profession. If I receive any income from my photography, and I can shoot an image that can be sold, I am professional in my work. It doesn't matter to the outside world if this is my profession or not, as long as I can produce an image that my customer is willing to buy.

For me personally, professional, is learning as much as I can, doing the best job I can do and being proud of the effort I have put in (and the income is nice too).

JT

Sep 12 18 11:48 am Link