Forums > Critique > This picture, 18 +

Photographer

Jorge Kreimer

San Cristóbal de las Casas, Chiapas, Mexico

https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/44608949 18+

It's on my website as well: http://www.gershonkreimer.com/index/void#5

I think this picture has a very interesting emotional charge.
Not cropped, so the framing is as it was shot.

Reactions are welcome.

Sep 15 18 06:37 pm Link

Photographer

Garry k

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Your style has become immediately recognizable

Which is a good thing

Sep 17 18 08:12 pm Link

Photographer

Jorge Kreimer

Garry k wrote:
Your style has become immediately recognizable

Which is a good thing

Thank you Garry smile

Sep 18 18 06:14 am Link

Photographer

sospix

Orlando, Florida, US

The subtle shading on the curve of Miss M's body to the right gives the image a wonderful energy, which is carried through by her arms, hands and fingers flowing to the left of the image  .  .  .  nicely done!  I think keeping the model anonymous (although it must be tough based on Miss M's beautiful face), helps reinforce the style you've established  .  .  .

SOS

Sep 18 18 07:31 am Link

Photographer

Jorge Kreimer

sospix wrote:
The subtle shading on the curve of Miss M's body to the right gives the image a wonderful energy, which is carried through by her arms, hands and fingers flowing to the left of the image  .  .  .  nicely done!  I think keeping the model anonymous (although it must be tough based on Miss M's beautiful face), helps reinforce the style you've established  .  .  .

SOS

Thank you. Very kind smile

Sep 18 18 05:12 pm Link

Photographer

Jeffrey M Fletcher

Asheville, North Carolina, US

It's a memorable image.
I'm left with a question. What sort of crop(s) are you considering with it? Your framing is excellent, and the current framing of this image is one of the things I like about it but I'm interested in your process and considerations about how you'd alter it.

Sep 19 18 04:23 am Link

Photographer

Jorge Kreimer

Jeffrey M Fletcher wrote:
It's a memorable image.
I'm left with a question. What sort of crop(s) are you considering with it? Your framing is excellent, and the current framing of this image is one of the things I like about it but I'm interested in your process and considerations about how you'd alter it.

Thank you. I rarely crop in post, especially with the "floating images". This is the framing as shot, and it's staying as it is.
For me it's very important that every element in the image has an emotional charge, including framing/cropping. Everything has to contribute to an emotional reaction in the viewer, however big or subtle.

I also like to have some sort of reference. In this case it's the Victory of Samothrace: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/5/57/Victoire_de_Samothrace_-_vue_de_trois-quart_gauche%2C_gros_plan_de_la_statue_%282%29.JPG/1024px-Victoire_de_Samothrace_-_vue_de_trois-quart_gauche%2C_gros_plan_de_la_statue_%282%29.JPG

Sep 19 18 07:04 am Link

Photographer

Jeffrey M Fletcher

Asheville, North Carolina, US

Jorge Kreimer wrote:

Thank you. I rarely crop in post, especially with the "floating images". This is the framing as shot, and it's staying as it is.
For me it's very important that every element in the image has an emotional charge, including framing/cropping. Everything has to contribute to an emotional reaction in the viewer, however big or subtle.

I also like to have some sort of reference. In this case it's the Victory of Samothrace: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/5/57/Victoire_de_Samothrace_-_vue_de_trois-quart_gauche%2C_gros_plan_de_la_statue_%282%29.JPG/1024px-Victoire_de_Samothrace_-_vue_de_trois-quart_gauche%2C_gros_plan_de_la_statue_%282%29.JPG

Thanks for the clarification and further explanation. I had misinterpreted your earlier statement, "Not cropped, so the framing is as it was shot" to mean that you were considering cropping the image later. I was curious because I thought the framing you had was strong and I couldn't see any way to improve it.
The image did seem to me to relate to the Greek/Roman sculptures from antiquity with it's combination of refined classical form and amputations, so it's an especially nice extra to read that you were thinking of one in particular and see it. Thanks again, both the image an explanation are worthwhile.

Sep 19 18 04:30 pm Link

Photographer

Jorge Kreimer

Jeffrey M Fletcher wrote:
Thanks for the clarification and further explanation. I had misinterpreted your earlier statement, "Not cropped, so the framing is as it was shot" to mean that you were considering cropping the image later. I was curious because I thought the framing you had was strong and I couldn't see any way to improve it.
The image did seem to me to relate to the Greek/Roman sculptures from antiquity with it's combination of refined classical form and amputations, so it's an especially nice extra to read that you were thinking of one in particular and see it. Thanks again, both the image an explanation are worthwhile.

I like it because it's a fragment of a body, yet still very expressive. If you look at my website you will see many references to other work. Some implicit, some more obvious. However, it's very important that these are not copies but reinterpretations; and that they are contemporary in the sense that they are something new altogether; that they are surprising as well as disconcerting to the viewer.

Sep 20 18 09:02 am Link