Forums > Critique > Critique on a new watercolor piece!

Artist/Painter

robtokarz

Los Angeles, California, US

Been working on new work for a book! Would love to get some honest feedback on this piece : https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/44611629

More of the work for the book on my instagram! @robtokarz

Thank you!

Sep 16 18 10:48 am Link

Photographer

Aaron Pawlak

New York, New York, US

Doesn't have the personality that the work you have which includes the face, has.

Sep 17 18 12:54 am Link

Photographer

sospix

Orlando, Florida, US

Really enjoyed your port  .  .  .  is this a sketch, or a finished piece?  Most of the pieces you have up seem a bit more finished than this, and have a real energy and strength to them  .  .  .  the combination of the semi opaque white lifting the subject forward, and the large shapes combined with the linear finishing to create light and shadow is quite striking  .  .  .  hopefully the galleries have taken notice!

SOS

Sep 17 18 07:54 am Link

Artist/Painter

robtokarz

Aaron Pawlak wrote:
Doesn't have the personality that the work you have which includes the face, has.

I appreciate that feedback! Some of the figure work is intended to get a little more abstract. Eyes and faces make a huge difference in connection! I see your point!

Oct 02 18 08:09 am Link

Artist/Painter

robtokarz

sospix wrote:
Really enjoyed your port  .  .  .  is this a sketch, or a finished piece?  Most of the pieces you have up seem a bit more finished than this, and have a real energy and strength to them  .  .  .  the combination of the semi opaque white lifting the subject forward, and the large shapes combined with the linear finishing to create light and shadow is quite striking  .  .  .  hopefully the galleries have taken notice!

SOS

This is a finished piece! I'm curious what makes it feel unfinished? It's part of a more aggressively drawn style that I'm working toward. I wish they'd notice (then again, I would have to pursue them, yeah?). Thanks for the feedback! I appreciate it.

Oct 02 18 08:10 am Link

Photographer

sospix

Orlando, Florida, US

robtokarz wrote:
This is a finished piece! I'm curious what makes it feel unfinished? It's part of a more aggressively drawn style that I'm working toward. I wish they'd notice (then again, I would have to pursue them, yeah?). Thanks for the feedback! I appreciate it.

Just seems a bit looser than some of the other pieces you have up in your port, the lines and shapes aren't as pronounced and dramatic  .  .  .  I have a friend (Edson Campos) who does wonderfully detailed work in pencil, pastel and chalk, but also does much freer styled work with washes and watercolours to keep an immediacy and energy that some of the more detailed work tends to lose  .  .  .  I think doing both makes both styles more fulfilling for him  .  .  .  might be time to take a run at a few of them, just don't sell your originals yet, prints are your friend until you're established and the prices on the originals go up  .  .  .  wink  This one  .  .  .

https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/170206/07/58989b8595841.jpg

.  .  .  is especially striking!

SOS

Oct 02 18 09:10 am Link

Model

Lisa LaRoo

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Don't be afraid to shade more dramatically in the small of the back and between the shoulders!

Nov 02 18 11:27 am Link

Artist/Painter

robtokarz

Lisa LaRoo wrote:
Don't be afraid to shade more dramatically in the small of the back and between the shoulders!

Thank you for that! I think you're right!

Dec 03 18 11:03 am Link

Artist/Painter

robtokarz

sospix wrote:

Just seems a bit looser than some of the other pieces you have up in your port, the lines and shapes aren't as pronounced and dramatic  .  .  .  I have a friend (Edson Campos) who does wonderfully detailed work in pencil, pastel and chalk, but also does much freer styled work with washes and watercolours to keep an immediacy and energy that some of the more detailed work tends to lose  .  .  .  I think doing both makes both styles more fulfilling for him  .  .  .  might be time to take a run at a few of them, just don't sell your originals yet, prints are your friend until you're established and the prices on the originals go up  .  .  .  wink  This one  .  .  .

https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/170206/07/58989b8595841.jpg

.  .  .  is especially striking!

SOS

Thanks so much for the feedback!

Dec 03 18 11:04 am Link