Forums > Photography Talk > Gear for Traveling Light

Photographer

Snarkhunter Imaging

Harvard, Massachusetts, US

I'm getting ready for a trip where I'm going to be doing a kind of shooting that I'm not used to, and I'm puzzling out what gear to bring.

I've got to shoot a series of portraits ("environmental portraits") of musicians and songwriters in an AirBnB that I've never seen before. The kicker is that I'm traveling super light. I'm going to have a single carry-on bag (plus a smaller bag) to live out of for a week.

My comfort zone is four studio strobe and various soft boxes, etc., but that's obviously not going to be possible, unless I rent, and my timing is going to be so short (and I'm not going to get paid for this) that I'm disinclined to do that. So, what should I bring.

I'm thinking, two bodies, two speedlights, a Rogue flashbender, and another similar modifier but will hope that the natural light in the location is going to give me some options. I have a couple tiny stands for the speedlights, but I wonder if they are going to be more trouble than they are worth. I'll bring my kit zoom and a 1.8 35mm. A smallish round collapsible white/silver reflector.

My tripod won't fit in my bag. I have a monopod that I haven't used in 25 years that might fit. It used to have a ballhead, but I haven't seen that in 20 years.... I think there was a reason why I never got in the habit of using it, but I don't remember what that was. I was shooting film then.

I guess, the question is, what is your favorite gear when you have to travel light?

Sep 16 18 06:57 pm Link

Photographer

nwprophoto

Tonasket, Washington, US

24mm, 50mm, 105 macro and a tabletop tripod.

Sep 16 18 07:59 pm Link

Photographer

Randy Poe

Green Cove Springs, Florida, US

Why two bodies? I am not saying your wrong if that is important to you but perhaps that is a third speed-light space?

I am going to let you in on a perhaps naughty little thing I have done. Keep in mind I am not the most saintly of flying travelers.
I went to a hardware store and I bought a handle knob thingy to put on the tip of my tripod to give the appearance of a walking cane. I didn't try act blind or hurt but I used it like a walking stick and I walked onto the plane with it. It is not considered luggage and I never asked for any special seating or preference. The stewardess asked me to ensure I keep it out of the isle and I obliged.

Mono pod.. check.

I might be going to hell but I'll have a stick.

Sep 16 18 09:00 pm Link

Photographer

Snarkhunter Imaging

I like to have a backup body, but I might skip it, if my space is tight.

It's a clever idea, about the monopod handle.... I don't have much sympathy for airlines. I'd have to do something about the word "BOGEN" on it....

Sep 17 18 07:57 am Link

Photographer

AVD AlphaDuctions

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

I don't think you even have to pretend with a handle.  It goes in the overhead bin and doesn't steal space from the max carryons that sometimes have to be gate-checked.  In august I stepped on a train in torrential rain then carried an umbrella into the desert. My umbrella went in the overhead bin.  Wasn't the only one.  one carryon plus one personal item.  is your tripod personal? (and yes I have asked United about this last year, but I am lazy and left my tripod at home every time).

Sep 17 18 08:07 am Link

Photographer

goofus

Santa Barbara, California, US

one body, the zoom+35, two lightstands and bungie cords to lash something heavy onto the stands.. two 'speed lights' (god I hate that term), the bounce thing, some grip stuff..clamps, flexi  arms, etc.. then stop by a crafts store on the way and pick up two medium foamcore sheets..use the clamps to clamp them onto the stands to bounce your lights onto.. or use as a flag..you can toss them in the trash on your way out

Sep 17 18 08:24 am Link

Photographer

Randy Poe

Green Cove Springs, Florida, US

AVD AlphaDuctions wrote:
I don't think you even have to pretend with a handle.  It goes in the overhead bin and doesn't steal space from the max carryons that sometimes have to be gate-checked.  In august I stepped on a train in torrential rain then carried an umbrella into the desert. My umbrella went in the overhead bin.  Wasn't the only one.  one carryon plus one personal item.  is your tripod personal? (and yes I have asked United about this last year, but I am lazy and left my tripod at home every time).

I wish I could agree but I had to forfeit an umbrella at DIA. I was only taking it as it was cute and I wanted to give it to my daughter in Portland where it rains all the time. This horrible power tripping Frontier agent refused it. Told me I had to check it into luggage where it would cost an extra 50 bucks. This is all with boarding time left to do this. I left it against a wall. I forever hate that cows face when I think on it and Frontier with it.

Sep 17 18 11:48 am Link

Photographer

LightDreams

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

I can't help thinking of the Ken Marcus (and others) tip on using a white bedsheet and gaffers tape.  Tape the bedsheet to a wall and bounce the flash off it for an instant giant softbox.  A lot of lighting capability for very little space...

Sep 17 18 12:42 pm Link

Photographer

Zack Zoll

Glens Falls, New York, US

I'm big on packing light myself. As far as what works for me ...

I like the Rouge stuff. Works well, folds flat. I also like the 8x8 or so fold-flat softboxes ... I can't recall the major brand, but they're all Chinese rip-offs of that one brand, down to the cheap, yellowing plastic that the front diffuser uses. So, not great for years of use - but two of those and a Rouge fit in a laptop slot great.

I prefer dumb triggers to the fancier TTL types. The dumb triggers tend to be quite a lot smaller, and you can usually carry an extra flash or lens with the space you save. Plus they're cheaper, and for location work I don't find that I'm usually far enough away that the remote power control is a big selling point. If you can get by with optical slaves, that's even better - less stuff, fewer batteries, and with so many people using phones now you're not nearly as likely to have someone else set off your flashes. But if you go that route, remember to rotate the flashes so the head faces the subject, but the BODY faces your master flash.

I also always bring an umbrella - usually just a cheap, compact white bounce. I jam it right in with my tripod/monopod, I don't worry about damaging it, and maybe it comes in handy.

Also, a packing tip: roll your clothes up extra tightly, instead of folding them neatly. You'll end up all wrinkly (so maybe keep one outfit folded neatly) , but rolling should get you a whole extra change of clothes in the same space.

Sep 17 18 01:27 pm Link

Photographer

tcphoto

Nashville, Tennessee, US

I’ve been traveling more by air lately and have become better at packing gear. My backpack with camera kit and MBP is at the carry on limit and rolling bag contains my clothes, tripod, small grip bag and silks at just under 50 pounds. I decided to take a lighting kit in a Lightware case which costs $35 for extra checked bag. I rented C Stands at the destination and it worked out well. I’d suggest buying a Fiberbilt shipping tube that is under the checked bag limit (60” for lxwxd) and stuff whatever will fit within the 50 pound limit. There is also a golf club case with wheels which would be my second choice.

Sep 17 18 01:41 pm Link

Photographer

Eleven 11 Photography

Auburn, Alabama, US

You are going to a city where you have never been and you are disinclined to rent and haven't got time to rent anyway? Then a second body is absolutely an essential because accidents happen. 

If it were me and all I could take was a backpack I'd take my two bodies, my 24-70 (workhorse for me) my 24-105 because it's a competent backup for the 24-70 for most things. My two speed lights. Chargers, extra batteries and and I've got room for all the speed light specific modifiers I own. Technically in my backpack I'd probably even have room for an 85 but I don't use that nearly as much as I'd like to.

I think thats all I'd pack based on what you've said, maybe a tiny bit more.

Sep 17 18 01:43 pm Link

Photographer

Brooklyn Bridge Images

Brooklyn, New York, US

Is this a paid gig ?
Ship the equipment in advance by UPS

Sep 17 18 01:58 pm Link

Photographer

Snarkhunter Imaging

Thanks all!

A couple points of clarification:

1. It's not a paid gig; possible that some $$$ will come about as a result of it, but the simplest explanation is that it's not a paid gig.

2. I've been to the city before, but not to the location where I'll be shooting.

Sep 18 18 11:28 am Link

Photographer

Robert Feliciano

New York, New York, US

In place of a tripod, I've used a Super Clamp with a Ball Head.
I've attached it to chairs, railings, beams, poles, etc.

Sep 18 18 12:07 pm Link

Photographer

Leonard Gee Photography

Sacramento, California, US

Snarkhunter Imaging wrote:
I guess, the question is, what is your favorite gear when you have to travel light?

to take what kind of photos and what kind of travel? there are different kits.

backpacking - depends. usually a mirrorless point & shoot, sometimes a leica body & 28mm
train/plane trip - camera body, 28mm, 105mm + leica table tripod
train/plane for work - same as above + speed light, reflectasol, clamps
automobile trip for work - camera body, 28mm, 50mm macro, 105mm, elinchrom ranger RX kit, stands, tripod, octabox, sunbounce, refflectasol, (model or still life kit depending).

Sep 18 18 06:02 pm Link

Photographer

Dustin_S_

Charlotte, North Carolina, US

Take what you will as I am still new.

But I'd bring a zoom lens (the Tamron 18-400mm f/3.5-6.3 has been good for me), as others have suggested some way to mount the speedlights (like a gorilla clamp), and for the modifiers maybe check out the MagMod stuff. They have a grip you can slip over speedlights and use things like grids, gels, bounce, and a sphere (similar to an umbrella effect). MagMod are made from silicone so you can easily pack them into small spaces (just keep away from sensitive electronics like an HDD, but SSD would be fine due to the magnets).

If you don't have any, I'd look at speedlights like the Godox Evolv 200 with the built in receivers with a trigger that you can change the speedlights settings from the trigger. I use the LumoPro (house brand for Midwest Photo Exchange) with built in Phottix Odin receivers and an Odin II trigger. I am able to turn them on, place them, and then do my work and change settings without touching the lights again (unless its a modifier that needs changed out). I run external battery packs (rebranded Godox units) for extended use and faster recycle times). Not as good as my White Lightning X800 in terms of light quality, but easier to pack in smaller space and be mobile.

Sep 25 18 04:35 pm Link

Photographer

AgX

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

Snarkhunter Imaging wrote:

SLR, 28-135mm. I like the battery grip, as I find it both balances the lens and fits my hands better, but if I had to go really light, I'd do without it.

Sep 25 18 05:24 pm Link

Photographer

Eye of the World

Corvallis, Oregon, US

Doesn't AirBnB usually have interior and exterior photos of their locations? At the very least you would have some idea of the amount of space, the windows, furnishings and color of the walls.If you are allowed in the day before to take some test shots that would be helpful.

Sep 25 18 08:49 pm Link

Photographer

Robb Mann

Baltimore, Maryland, US

Not sure it counts as ‘traveling light’, but my favorite item for airplane use is my pelican 1510 with custom trekpak dividers. The 1510 is the largest pelican that meets all dimestic and most international overhead bag rules. The Trekpak dividers are far more rigid than foam/velcro, so you can get a TON of gear in there safely. My normal load is two Dslr bodies, 4-6 ‘standard’ lenses (up to 105mm), space for either two flashes or a big lens ( 300 2.8 or 80-400), and space left over for batteries, chargers and misc. glad it has wheels.

Oct 05 18 02:50 am Link

Photographer

Photography by Riddell

Hemel Hempstead, England, United Kingdom

Instead of travelling light, why not just simply book another in hold bag and take the kit you need? Much better than trying to struggle with a lack of equipment.

Or hire equipment on arrival?

Or compromise and take some and hire larger items?

Oct 05 18 03:11 am Link