Forums > Model Colloquy > Curious about location...

Photographer

Isaiah Brink

Charlotte, North Carolina, US

I was wondering something......  A question for the models out there......  Do you ever get excited about the location of a shoot?  Of course, I am talking about out of the studio location.  Thanks!

Sep 18 18 10:16 am Link

Model

Laura UnBound

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

yes?

Sep 18 18 10:37 am Link

Model

Alexandra Vincent

Asheville, North Carolina, US

When I do find myself unusually excited about a shoot, it is generally a location shoot. But, most of my work has been centered on location shoots, posing in challenging environments and conditions. For a couple of years, a large portion of my income was derived from a steady stream of nude shoots in abandoned buildings. "UrbEx" nudes were very popular for awhile. I have one of these scheduled for early October and I'm looking forward to it, as every shoot in an unusual or challenging location feels like an adventure.

Sep 18 18 10:46 am Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

I could tell you the location of my forested property but you would get lost in the forest.    big_smile

Sep 18 18 01:21 pm Link

Photographer

Todd Meredith

Fayetteville, North Carolina, US

Jerry Nemeth wrote:
I could tell you the location of my forested property but you would get lost in the forest.    big_smile

Worse yet, someone else might shoot there and create something stunning.  Better to keep it private and not tell anyone, blindfold the model and MUA for the trip, drive around an extra twenty miles or so just to throw everyone off.

Sep 18 18 01:24 pm Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

Todd Meredith wrote:
Worse yet, someone else might shoot there and create something stunning.  Better to keep it private and not tell anyone, blindfold the model and MUA for the trip, drive around an extra twenty miles or so just to throw everyone off.

That would be trespassing on my property.  People would call the sheriff.  smile

They have to drive 4 miles of winding dirt roads to get there.

Sep 18 18 01:40 pm Link

Photographer

Isaiah Brink

Laura UnBound wrote:
yes?

I'm curious about the question mark at the end of your response.  Does that mean that you're kinda sorta excited, or does it mean sometimes you are, sometimes you're not?

Sep 18 18 06:55 pm Link

Model

Laura UnBound

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Isaiah Brink wrote:

I'm curious about the question mark at the end of your response.  Does that mean that you're kinda sorta excited, or does it mean sometimes you are, sometimes you're not?

I just dont know what you expected the answers to be.

Sometimes the location is nice, sometimes its not, sometimes a nice location feels wasted on bad photos, sometimes good photos make a shitty location not matter...

Some people care more than others.

It's like asking does anybody like mac n cheese - some people will say yes and some people will say no.

Sep 18 18 07:17 pm Link

Photographer

Carle Photo

New Orleans, Louisiana, US

What location, where, why do you want to shoot there? Can you give a better description?

Some locations are amazing, others suck.

Each one is different.

Each location is different at different times of the year/day....

There is no overarching answer.

If it an amazing location with an amazing photographer sure, I'll be excited, if it is a mediocre location with an amazing photographer, I know we will pull something out of it, if it a shitty location, with a mediocre photographer, meh.

Sep 18 18 07:27 pm Link

Photographer

Isaiah Brink

There's no right or wrong answer here.  Like Laura said, some she likes, some she doesn't.  And that's ok.

Sep 19 18 05:49 am Link

Photographer

Eric212Grapher

Saint Louis, Missouri, US

Isaiah Brink wrote:
There's no right or wrong answer here.

Llamas eating pecan pie in the studio location 4 miles down a winding dirt road.

Sep 19 18 10:00 am Link

Photographer

Isaiah Brink

Eric212Grapher wrote:

Llamas eating pecan pie in the studio location 4 miles down a winding dirt road.

Well, I was kinda hoping for first a response from a model, and well, that it'd be on topic.  That'll.teach me to leave it so open! lol

Sep 19 18 01:59 pm Link

Photographer

Rays Fine Art

New York, New York, US

Isaiah Brink wrote:

Well, I was kinda hoping for first a response from a model, and well, that it'd be on topic.  That'll.teach me to leave it so open! lol

Well, iff you'll accept a response from a male actor and occasional model, it might be indicative of the responses you'll receive from the ladies, at least in general.

It depends--If it's a beautiful waterfall in a sylvan glade near Charlotte then probably, no, not very excited.  On the other hand, several years ago I was short listed for a series of commercials that would have taken me to Chile for a full week.  Four days of actual shooting and two days available but not scheduled, plus travel days on each end.  I didn't get the job but you'd better believe I spent several days in a high state of excitement while waiting for the final word.  Circumstances do alter cases.

All IMHO as always, of course.

Sep 25 18 07:31 pm Link

Model

Rachel Jay

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Depends on the location and the theme of the shoot.

I used to do a lot of my own location scouting when I modeled, and then styled my looks based on the location. I was almost always most excited about those shoots.

Sep 26 18 11:02 am Link