Forums > Critique > Fashion show

Photographer

Philip Brown

Long Beach, California, US

Sigh. I must be insane.

Link to an actual fashion show shoot, from mostly the correct place, although I was off on the side.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/JTqiafTyCsntu5U69

Single image preview:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/M-mzfiAIHXNk3Tz79o-DUTqXabFyuOLVWjCN8f1nlr70w3F1HbCmsd_WXCzTZP6hWXNyYkdhR23Nvw6QQuZiKy1U_0SwZ9lrUHOHhawMv9elwyxX0Iv-kLW3Fp9FyqyY3ROf6hoOIgAvJHvCElEzc9rRMGuOSR8dd8wAPZ5lnRgWm8RxZqLbdOdfQa_zxyeDEyPb4cfnoFZCOP4rRQxbS8USxo1uVNE5xl-803fQldVZPxqSw1i_wXcZKjPCAJ0tsmHRaiouCO7Gfw2WmN9aIZ6Ia5dggW7BN_-iFJUBIsWDCK8u6vLzdDBWdgD8pqwXOLHmARKXZEh3uzwEDpMMqeOpznh1cauRTW1eiGlpshgHD4DnrjZ29MgZmvyd-GOeLEP45FtuCFO8DuZhN3XEnwfj4027OODKz3mVYrQ-uXikQdSMjkEkUWh9PmvXJ5aerbHunX8Uzk5StVasRYgZiY5hOZnvzBa1vXefk6u_851cNKhJyKyoqbRApdX2G-An8jZPMt7i1oN-ZXvF3snASZBmxaAkW_gVwPZThY-IiS3GlUoX6KK4McLC9I4OKEe08rqKyieVqp5St71EoeUj4fzoHNwRz0l4wXroN21N1tH2LJxl6AGJ0KXl=h700-no

Oct 16 18 08:49 pm Link

Photographer

Garry k

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Well You made it to LA Fashion Week ( for whatever thats worth )

Did You say hi to Tito for me ?

In general your linked shots look ok technically . You did not have the best angle to shoot from but that is generally the case for newer runway photographers . ( too bad the background looks so garish )

Not sure why you would post one of the least interesting and flattering photo ( to the outfit and the model ) here in this thread though

In some cases  walking away shots  are necessary -but I dont think yours is one of those cases

https://laowaisha.ru/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/90695af8ed3e3abfc0eb833fd29acc96.jpg

Guo Pei Haute Couture

One thing you could strive for the future - is consistency with respect to capturing the Model and Outfit from exactly the same angle and same spot on the runway

Oct 16 18 10:38 pm Link

Photographer

Philip Brown

Garry k wrote:
One thing you could strive for the future - is consistency with respect to capturing the Model and Outfit from exactly the same angle and same spot on the runway

huh.  That's something that didnt occur to me, due to what I mention lower down.

This was one of those events that seems to be "taking place DURING fashion week", but wasnt exactly the main event, if ya know what I mean smile

The models in this one were a bit disorganized and inconsistent. Some of the longtimers kept yelling "center!" to attempt to herd them into the proper spot.
Some of the models didnt even listen to that! big_smile

Oct 17 18 06:39 am Link

Photographer

Garry k

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Philip Brown wrote:

huh.  That's something that didnt occur to me, due to what I mention lower down.

This was one of those events that seems to be "taking place DURING fashion week", but wasnt exactly the main event, if ya know what I mean smile

The models in this one were a bit disorganized and inconsistent. Some of the longtimers kept yelling "center!" to attempt to herd them into the proper spot.
Some of the models didnt even listen to that! big_smile

Then You probably did the best you could under the circumstances

Generally the 2 main reasons for such runway problems 1 ) newbie models 2 ) lack of rehearsal

Oct 17 18 07:50 am Link

Photographer

Black Z Eddie

San Jacinto, California, US

Philip Brown wrote:
Link to an actual fashion show shoot, from mostly the correct place, although I was off on the side.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/JTqiafTyCsntu5U69

For the most part, the images look clean and sharp.  But, pretty flat.   Most of them are underexposed, mostly ones where you used f4.5.  Even if you wanted to keep it minimalist, all the images could have used some quick touchups (exposure, clarity, vibrance).

Because of the lighting (or lack off) on certain parts and coupled with reflective flooring, about the bottom half of the model is brighter than the top half.  This is were you'd want to do some dodging.  Face and body.  Never forget about the face.

Not sure why you're shooting at f4.5 (f3.5 in the beginning).  You probably could have gotten away with f2.2/f2.5 and blurred the background a little more.  Also would have saved you about 2 stops in ISO (250-400 instead of 1000-1600), granted, they look pretty clean at 1600.

Some of the shots have the models with their eyes closed or looking down.  Id' toss those.

Oct 19 18 11:24 am Link

Photographer

Philip Brown

Black Z Eddie wrote:
For the most part, the images look clean and sharp.  But, pretty flat.   Most of them are underexposed, mostly ones where you used f4.5.  Even if you wanted to keep it minimalist, all the images could have used some quick touchups (exposure, clarity, vibrance).

Because of the lighting (or lack off) on certain parts and coupled with reflective flooring, about the bottom half of the model is brighter than the top half.  This is were you'd want to do some dodging.  Face and body.  Never forget about the face.

Not sure why you're shooting at f4.5 (f3.5 in the beginning).  You probably could have gotten away with f2.2/f2.5 and blurred the background a little more.  Also would have saved you about 2 stops in ISO (250-400 instead of 1000-1600), granted, they look pretty clean at 1600.

You made some fair points, thanks.

The backgrounds were so bright,the camera was telling me it was overexposed even at these settings,  har har.

I took it down to F4.5, because I wasnt confident about the autofocus.
In theory, the A7ii is good to 2400, so I wasnt worried about ISO.

In later shots i've been handing out to folks, I've been bumping up the light, but I forgot about this old album.
I gave the ol' google sliders a whack on this album too now smile

Oct 19 18 12:48 pm Link