Forums > Model Colloquy > Model question, Chicken vs. Egg

Photographer

Acraftman1313

Greensboro, North Carolina, US

I am about to endeavor on my second model shoot which will include one hour glamour/nude and two hours portrait,fashion,etc. The main reason is just to get experience shooting people, my question is as a model do you have a preference which you would like to do first. I can only guess but would it make more sense to do all things fully clothed first just to sorta break the ice as it were or do you just go with how you feel with that particular photographer.
I know I will just ask and let the model decide how she would like to proceed but if I have a sequence that might be dictated by the available natural light etc,I guess that should be discussed before hand? Actually just curios and would like to hear it from a models male or female perspective. Apologies if this has already been a topic.
Thanks

Oct 23 18 07:32 pm Link

Artist/Painter

Hunter GWPB

King of Prussia, Pennsylvania, US

Will the clothing leave marks on the model's skin?  A good model arriving prepared to do a nude shoot is not wearing anything that leaves an imprint.   If you put her in fashion clothing that makes marks and then shoot the nudes, you have just made your post production work much harder.

To avoid bra and panty marks, it is a good idea to start the shoot nude and then put the clothing on.  Stripping in reverse, if you are going to involve shots in which she appears to have disrobed as the shoot progressed.

If you are being professional, and you have hired a professional model, there should not be a period of adjustment required to make her comfortable about being nude.

Oct 24 18 04:13 am Link

Model

Alexandra Vincent

Asheville, North Carolina, US

I don't personally care what order people want to shoot their projects in - as a pro freelance model, nudity (often in front of a group of strangers) is a part of my daily working life. I don't have the same sense of discomfort, or taboos, about the body that mainstream citizens do. I am actually more comfortable nude than I am clothed, and rarely wear clothes in my own home. Just tell the model what YOU want to shoot, and in what order. They should be fine with whatever their employer needs.

Oct 24 18 04:58 am Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

I have photographed models both ways with no problems.
Experienced models are very comfortable nude.

Oct 24 18 05:06 am Link

Photographer

goofus

Santa Barbara, California, US

I shoot portraits first

I very often have to stop them as they are pretty quick to undress and even had some put back some clothing on.. I kinda like to get some shots of what they showed up in...and yes.. it sounds weird coming out of my mouth to say: can you please put some clothing back on for a bit...hahahaha - shoots are kinda surreal in a way

so I shoot as they undress.. but I do not care if they have clothing marks or not...I don't really shoot glamour or pinups .. so marks and scars are cool with me

Oct 24 18 08:48 am Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

goofus  wrote:
I shoot portraits first

I very often have to stop them as they are pretty quick to undress and even had some put back some clothing on.. I kinda like to get some shots of what they showed up in...and yes.. it sounds weird coming out of my mouth to say: can you please put some clothing back on for a bit...hahahaha - shoots are kinda surreal in a way

so I shoot as they undress.. but I do not care if they have clothing marks or not...I don't really shoot glamour or pinups .. so marks and scars are cool with me

I was once shooting a former Playboy model.  I wanted a few shots of her in her tight green dress.
She was impatient to pose nude!   smile

Oct 24 18 08:52 am Link

Model

Nachtzehren

Durham, England, United Kingdom

I prefer to go nude to clothed, due to marks as others have stated.

Oct 24 18 09:30 am Link

Photographer

Rays Fine Art

New York, New York, US

If you are paying, whatever you want,
If trade (or the model is paying) whatever the model wants

seems to me to be the most reasonable approach.

All IMHO as always, of course.

Oct 24 18 11:10 am Link

Photographer

Eros Fine Art Photo

Torrance, California, US

Acraftman1313 wrote:
I am about to endeavor on my second model shoot which will include one hour glamour/nude and two hours portrait,fashion,etc.

Wait...this is your SECOND model/nude shoot?  Then who shot all the other nude images in your portfolio??

Oct 24 18 11:35 am Link

Model

Laura UnBound

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

It's actually a far better idea to shoot the nudes first because whatever they're wearing for the fashion/glamour stuff is going to leave lines on their skin, and its by far weirder to have to sit around naked waiting for those lines to disappear than it is to just shoot the nudes first.

On top of the logistics of it, I personally usually preferred to shoot nudes first because I'm just not that big on the whole "now start stripping for me" thing (unless it was intended to be a set of images for something like zivity or patreon where the strip set is common). I'm not any less comfortable naked than I am clothed and the idea that I need to do some slow strip "for MY comfort" is silly and often was set up as if I needed to be coaxed out of my clothing when that was in fact not the case.

Oct 24 18 11:58 am Link

Photographer

Acraftman1313

Thank's everybody for the comments it is good to here the models opinions and eases tension.

Oct 24 18 07:24 pm Link

Photographer

Acraftman1313

Eros Fine Art Photo wrote:

Wait...this is your SECOND model/nude shoot?  Then who shot all the other nude images in your portfolio??

Actually I miss quoted myself, this will be my second one to one model shoot. Almost all of my port is the result from a trip put on by the wonderful Anastasia Kole whom I found through MM (http://www.anastasiakole.com/morocco/) we went to Sicily as a group with Four models and five photographers wonderful experience for a beginner!

Oct 24 18 07:37 pm Link

Photographer

E Thompson Photography

Hyattsville, Maryland, US

Acraftman1313 wrote:

Actually I miss quoted myself, this will be my second one to one model shoot. Almost all of my port is the result from a trip put on by the wonderful Anastasia Kole whom I found through MM (http://www.anastasiakole.com/morocco/) we went to Sicily as a group with Four models and five photographers wonderful experience for a beginner!

Wonderful sensibilities for a beginner.

Oct 25 18 10:51 am Link

Photographer

Natural Means

Yamba, New South Wales, Australia

Nude to clothed.

I'd be surprised if someone who put their hand up to model nude wasn't in the swing of things within 5 minutes.

Oct 25 18 09:18 pm Link

Photographer

Risen Phoenix Photo

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

As a photographer I would suggest shooting the nudes first and then the clothed images second
This way you will eliminate the marks on the body from the clothes.  The other way around you may have a nightmare during post process

Oct 30 18 11:52 am Link

Model

peter vic

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Whatever the photographer wants. As Aristotle said, "He who pays the piper, calls the tune".

Dec 02 18 05:05 pm Link