Forums > Model Colloquy > Short versus Bald

Model

Nachtzehren

Durham, England, United Kingdom

So, this is something I'm interested in hearing from multiple sides on; photographers, models, etc.

I have recently buzzed all of my hair off. I am currently sitting at 1.5mm/grade 0.5  for shortness. Now, most of the time when I have seen castings for short hair, we're talking anywhere from a pixie cut to jawlength. Would it be better for me to put bald (as I'm pretty damn close to it and have no intention of growing my hair out), or shall I stick with short?

Nov 02 18 07:21 am Link

Photographer

TEB-Art Photo

Carrboro, North Carolina, US

Either way, it can be a sexy look. And you can always add a wig, or a hat (or a gas mask) to meet particular requirements of the shoot. I think losing the body hair would also be a plus, a neater appearance.

And if you ever hit Durham, North Carolina, drop me a note. I shoot "alt" often.

Nov 02 18 08:30 pm Link

Model

Nachtzehren

TEB-Art Photo wrote:
Either way, it can be a sexy look. And you can always add a wig, or a hat (or a gas mask) to meet particular requirements of the shoot. I think losing the body hair would also be a plus, a neater appearance.

And if you ever hit Durham, North Carolina, drop me a note. I shoot "alt" often.

I have stated that I can shave or grow for a shoot depending. As much as me-not-on-shoots isn't bothered by it, I am not so precious about it that I refuse to pick up a razor if a photographer is particularly strict about body hair or not, or if it wouldn't look right with the styling.

Cool smile

Nov 03 18 03:18 am Link

Photographer

Isaiah Brink

Charlotte, North Carolina, US

Nachtzehren wrote:
So, this is something I'm interested in hearing from multiple sides on; photographers, models, etc.

I have recently buzzed all of my hair off. I am currently sitting at 1.5mm/grade 0.5  for shortness. Now, most of the time when I have seen castings for short hair, we're talking anywhere from a pixie cut to jawlength. Would it be better for me to put bald (as I'm pretty damn close to it and have no intention of growing my hair out), or shall I stick with short?

Well, it's just my opinion but if it's very short, as in right around the stubble length, which mine is as well, I'd label it as bald, but very short would work as well.  Im not sure if there's a right answer here.  Hope I've helped more than confuse the situation.

Nov 03 18 06:35 am Link

Photographer

Abbitt Photography

Washington, Utah, US

I would also say write that as bald.    When I think of short hair on a model, I’m thinking inches, not less than 2mm.  It doesn’t take long to mention your current look when communicating with photographers just to ensure they know what they are getting.

Nov 03 18 07:30 am Link

Model

Nachtzehren

Thanks folks! I'm going to go with bald, and specify in my notes smile Plus it'll be obvious once I've uploaded images from the photoshoots I have pending.

Nov 03 18 10:28 am Link

Model

Figures Jen B

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Nachtzehren wrote:

Hi.
It might be best to.describe it as a nearly bald ( right, nearly 2mm?)
Jen

Nov 09 18 06:57 am Link

Photographer

LightDreams

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Figures Jen B wrote:
It might be best to.describe it as a nearly bald ( right, nearly 2mm?)
Jen

Agreed.  If I'm thinking of a "bald" model, I'm thinking in terms of a nude / smooth scalp, for lack of a better description.  The difference in what I'd guess someone's look is, based on a description of "bald" versus "very, very short " or "nearly bald", (or something along that line), is very different.   At least, IMHO...

Nov 09 18 10:48 am Link

Clothing Designer

veypurr

Albuquerque, New Mexico, US

I am both short and bald 😢😭 My only saving grace is that I am incredibly good looking.

Dec 11 18 08:40 am Link