Forums > Model Colloquy > Dealing with no-shows

Photographer

Air Portraits

Munich, Bavaria, Germany

So, after years of this not happening, today I am stuck sitting in a rented studio with no model....
No messages, mails, texts...... nothing. And no answers.
Worst, we confirmed again yesterday and she said she would be here at 11:00.....

So how do you deal with this?

Not only is it frustrating and rude, it means I'm out significant time and money. Yes, I have a contract with her stating we'll both pay the other in this kind of situation, but realistically unless MM can step in and help me recover, I doubt I'll see any compensation.

There has got to be a better way!!!!

So I'm curious, what would you do?

Nov 22 18 03:05 am Link

Photographer

FIFTYONE PHOTOGRAPHY

Uniontown, Pennsylvania, US

I assume the fetal position.

Nov 22 18 04:13 am Link

Photographer

Znude!

Baton Rouge, Louisiana, US

Try to set up another shoot with them. Be very understanding about what ever excuse they give. Also offer incentive for them to show up next time. Tell them there is a sponsor for the shoot and now you are able to pay them a sizable amount of cash.

Then don't bother to show up and be sure to block their number from your phone after they've tried to call you over and over.

Or do what I do. Always book a shoot near something else you would enjoy photographing. I love architectural shots so I book near something I would enjoy shooting like that and when they don't shot I switch gears and shoot that instead.

Nov 22 18 04:59 am Link

Photographer

Air Portraits

Munich, Bavaria, Germany

FIFTYONE PHOTOGRAPHY wrote:
I assume the fetal position.

haha, I would prefer that to the "bend over and grab your ankles" position I feel I've been put into....

Nov 22 18 05:28 am Link

Model

Nachtzehren

Durham, England, United Kingdom

Short notice casting? Worth a shot.

Nov 22 18 06:01 am Link

Photographer

Mark Salo

Olney, Maryland, US

Its best not to rant on the day that it happens. The model may have had a serious problem.

Znude! wrote:
Or do what I do. Always book a shoot near something else you would enjoy photographing. I love architectural shots so I book near something I would enjoy shooting like that and when they don't shot I switch gears and shoot that instead.

Great tip!

Nov 22 18 06:03 am Link

Photographer

SayCheeZ!

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Air Portraits wrote:
..., but realistically unless MM can step in and help me recover, I doubt I'll see any compensation.

That aint gonna happen.
MM isn't a judge or arbitrator of personal disputes,

Nov 22 18 08:49 am Link

Photographer

Orca Bay Images

Arcata, California, US

Air Portraits wrote:

When it's happened, I treat myself to a movie or a nice meal. Then I eliminate that model from my contact list.

unless MM can step in and help me recover, I doubt I'll see any compensation.

Not a chance that MM will intervene. Do you have small claims courts in Germany?

There has got to be a better way!!!! So I'm curious, what would you do?

When I have a shoot at a location that's hard to get or costs money and I'm shooting with a model I don't know, I schedule it to be a multi-model shoot. Then if one model doesn't show up, I get to spend that lost time with the other model[s].

I normally don't reschedule with a no-call/no-show model. I've done it only once.

Nov 22 18 09:09 am Link

Photographer

Air Portraits

Munich, Bavaria, Germany

When I have a shoot at a location that's hard to get or costs money and I'm shooting with a model I don't know, I schedule it to be a multi-model shoot. Then if one model doesn't show up, I get to spend that lost time with the other model[s].

Great idea.... Thanks

Nov 23 18 01:09 am Link

Photographer

Darren Brade

London, England, United Kingdom

Start by sending her an invoice as per the contract. But raally, why are people making contracts that they don't know how to or cannot enforce?

Nov 23 18 01:35 am Link

Photographer

Darren Brade

Avoid any financial investment in an untested model. If you don't have a studio and can't convert your living room into a temporary studio, shoot outdoors.

There are so many good models out there that will turn up and have a great track record of doing so (it's their business and they treat it as such), stick to these models and use them repeatedly.

Nov 23 18 01:39 am Link

Photographer

FIFTYONE PHOTOGRAPHY

Uniontown, Pennsylvania, US

Air Portraits wrote:
haha, I would prefer that to the "bend over and grab your ankles" position I feel I've been put into....

I typically don't have a large cash investment, some, but not a lot.  What I do invest is time and energy styling wardrobe, creating sets or coming up with outdoor locations, when things go South it can be devastating.

I've experienced flaking but never had a no call, no show to a shoot. The call usually comes the Morning of or an Hour or 2 prior even after a confirmation the Day before,  which hits hard.

Nov 23 18 04:10 am Link

Photographer

Leonard Gee Photography

Sacramento, California, US

Air Portraits wrote:
Yes, I have a contract with her stating we'll both pay the other in this kind of situation, but realistically unless MM can step in and help me recover, I doubt I'll see any compensation.

one hopes that it was a decently crafted contract, with the looser paying all legal expenses... in that case, why not enforce this contract? what did the mm site to in order to incur this tort? you contacted the model, you made the agreements and details with the model, the model was the other party in the agreement. this mm site is only a listing service. could you ask the telephone company to step up and reimburse you because this was over the phone? if the amount is a problem for you - enforce the contract.

don't spend money on a new, unknown model

Nov 23 18 07:26 am Link

Photographer

Garry k

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Nov 23 18 11:29 am Link

Photographer

Orca Bay Images

Arcata, California, US

OP,

Does Germany have a small-claims court system? That might be the only way you can enforce that contract.

Nov 23 18 12:02 pm Link

Photographer

Orca Bay Images

Arcata, California, US

Another step I take in dealing with a no-call/no-show: I notify my local photographer friends.

Several times, other photographers have had the same problem with that model. In other cases, other photographers have cancelled shoots with that model because of a no-show with one of us.

Nov 23 18 12:10 pm Link

Photographer

Chuckarelei

Seattle, Washington, US

Darren Brade wrote:
Start by sending her an invoice as per the contract. But raally, why are people making contracts that they don't know how to or cannot enforce?

If she did not show, breaking her words. What makes you think that piece of paper would do anything?

Nov 23 18 10:03 pm Link

Photographer

Orca Bay Images

Arcata, California, US

Chuckarelei wrote:
If she did not show, breaking her words. What makes you think that piece of paper would do anything?

A commitment on paper and signed is more enforceable than a verbal agreement, which carries a certain deniability.

However, the OP hasn't said if he's got the option of small-claims court in his country, or if he's even going to pursue that route.

Nov 23 18 11:42 pm Link

Photographer

Todd Meredith

Fayetteville, North Carolina, US

The time and money required to enforce the contract would be a case of throwing good money after bad.  Let's remember that money was lost on the studio rental already and that the photographer's time spent chasing down an attorney to represent him in this matter would also be a loss unless he is able to recover it in court.  I haven't met any models with pockets deep enough to cover the award of such monies, as decsribed.    I too think what the model did w as wrong but, in my opinion, so is wasting time trying to recover something from someone who is probably without the means to repay it.  It's a lot like chasing windmills.

Move on, OP.  I'd never even try to re-book with the model - once bitten, twice shy - but nor would I bad mouth her to others.  It's shows far more strength of character and involves less stress for you to just move on to create something great with someone else.  Should another photographer ask If I'd even had any experience with that particular model, I'd simply say that she no showed you and cost you a bit of money.  Avoid extended diatribes about how unreliable she was for you.  It can only look bad for you in the long run.

Wishing you all the best.

Nov 24 18 01:51 am Link

Photographer

Air Portraits

Munich, Bavaria, Germany

Yes I have a strong and valid contract stating her liability and that she has to pay fees for collection/enforcement, and yes we have something similar to SCC here in Germany. Navigating it is not as easy as in the states, so...
No, I'm not going to pursue it as it would also require a lot of time and stress and lawyer's fees upfront and then to collect....

Mostly I use the contract as a way of flushing out unserious models - I've had a few say they don't want that clause in and I remind them that it means nothing if all goes well and protects them also, if for any reason I am unable to make it. This usually works. But when a model insists, then I don't work with her.

I guess it really comes down to accepting I cannot control it and I am out significant time and energy and a little money - and that sucks!

Yes, I can talk with other photographers here, but in reality that also makes little difference to her as she will always find people who do not know me or with whom I have not spoken...

Thank God it doesn't happen often....

Nov 24 18 03:30 am Link

Photographer

Darren Brade

Air Portraits wrote:
Yes I have a strong and valid contract stating her liability and that she has to pay fees for collection/enforcement, and yes we have something similar to SCC here in Germany. Navigating it is not as easy as in the states, so...
No, I'm not going to pursue it as it would also require a lot of time and stress and lawyer's fees upfront and then to collect....

Mostly I use the contract as a way of flushing out unserious models - I've had a few say they don't want that clause in and I remind them that it means nothing if all goes well and protects them also, if for any reason I am unable to make it. This usually works. But when a model insists, then I don't work with her.

I guess it really comes down to accepting I cannot control it and I am out significant time and energy and a little money - and that sucks!

Yes, I can talk with other photographers here, but in reality that also makes little difference to her as she will always find people who do not know me or with whom I have not spoken...

Thank God it doesn't happen often....

Obviously signing contracts you're not able to/wiloing to enforce is still a waste of time. A lot of people know this so it's not really a deterrent at all (as proven here). People sign agreeing knowing that the amount of money it would  cost to enforce makes it a safe bet you can drop out of.

Nov 24 18 07:03 am Link

Photographer

Orca Bay Images

Arcata, California, US

Todd Meredith wrote:
time spent chasing down an attorney to represent him in this matter

Small claims court doesn't require the involvement of an attorney. That's the whole point of SCC.

Nov 24 18 08:52 am Link

Photographer

Todd Meredith

Fayetteville, North Carolina, US

Orca Bay Images wrote:

Small claims court doesn't require the involvement of an attorney. That's the whole point of SCC.

Good point but it doesn't negate the time and effort spent trying to recoup what in reality is a minimal amount of money.  Personally, I feel my time and stress are worth more than what I would get back from a case like this one.  We've all been there and there's no contract or other agreement that will stop No shows from happening.  As I stated before, most models won't even have the assets to pay what the court awards, so what's the point.  You show up with a good, solid case, contract in hand, she cries, the judge feels sorry for her and you look like the hard ass trying to squeeze her for a few hundred bucks, even though you're 100% in the right.  Is it worth damaging your reputation?

Nov 24 18 11:09 am Link

Photographer

CaliModels

Los Angeles, California, US

Air Portraits wrote:
Great idea.... Thanks

-
Going back to your original posting, one of the problems here in the States-right now, is that it's a Holiday, Thanksgiving. Not sure if the majority of people even know what that's about, or just a shopping day. During Holidays, it's often hard to get models,,,and yes, they also don't reply here many times.

Also, we also try to do group shoots, with more than 1 model to cover ourselves. The problem is sometimes they all show up, and we have a lot to do. There's been a few times we too many models, and they had to wait 1 hour for their turn.

Nov 24 18 12:26 pm Link

Photographer

Vector One Photography

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US

I know some people that will collect the money for you, they take half of what they collect. Just one thing, I hope you are not squeamish about how they go about it.

Nov 24 18 08:30 pm Link

Photographer

Eric212Grapher

Saint Louis, Missouri, US

Air Portraits wrote:
--snip--
Not only is it frustrating and rude, it means I'm out significant time and money. Yes, I have a contract with her stating we'll both pay the other in this kind of situation, but realistically unless MM can step in and help me recover, I doubt I'll see any compensation.
--snip--

Send her an invoice detailing the expenses incurred along with the copy of the contract. Then forget about ever seeing the money or model again.

Nov 25 18 01:39 am Link

Photographer

Isaiah Brink

Charlotte, North Carolina, US

Air Portraits wrote:
So, after years of this not happening, today I am stuck sitting in a rented studio with no model....
Worst, we confirmed again yesterday and she said she would be here at 11:00.....

Use a modeling agency and use an agency model.

Nov 25 18 06:23 am Link

Photographer

Orca Bay Images

Arcata, California, US

CaliModels wrote:
Also, we also try to do group shoots, with more than 1 model to cover ourselves. The problem is sometimes they all show up, and we have a lot to do. There's been a few times we too many models, and they had to wait 1 hour for their turn.

FTR, that was my suggestion to the OP.

I've never scheduled more models in a session than I could handle in case all showed. The most I've done by myself was three. I had a MUAH there who ran her own shop and she had the good sense to bring an assistant to gain some experience All three models showed. One showed up a little late, but that turned out to be serendipitous,. This gave each idle model just enough time to pick out the next look's wardrobe (we were shooting in a bridal/prom shop and we had the shop's entire stock to choose from) and time to get hair and makeup done. It resulted in a rotation that worked out perfectly for each model, though I didn't get a break for six hours (no complaint there).

I once participated in a group shoot scheduled for twelve models, five MUAHs and two photographers. Three of the models and one of the MUAHs didn't show and it was perfect. A little crazy for us photographers, but a great day.
https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/091122/22/4b0a2f0102fce_m.jpg
(The man wasn't one of the twelve invited models, but a spur-of-the-moment addition, as he brought the motorcycles for the shoot.)

Nov 25 18 06:49 am Link

Photographer

63fotos

Flagstaff, Arizona, US

Air Portraits wrote:

I am a victim of this also.
What did I do? Let it go, but I have also told fellow photographers not to do business with her.

Nov 25 18 09:04 am Link

Photographer

Deep Visions

Oceanside, California, US

If you're going to invest $$$ on a studio then invest $$$ on a professional model

Nov 25 18 10:01 am Link

Photographer

Leonard Gee Photography

Sacramento, California, US

Orca Bay Images wrote:

Todd Meredith wrote:
Good point but it doesn't negate the time and effort spent trying to recoup what in reality is a minimal amount of money.  Personally, I feel my time and stress are worth more than what I would get back from a case like this one.  We've all been there and there's no contract or other agreement that will stop No shows from happening.  As I stated before, most models won't even have the assets to pay what the court awards, so what's the point.  You show up with a good, solid case, contract in hand, she cries, the judge feels sorry for her and you look like the hard ass trying to squeeze her for a few hundred bucks, even though you're 100% in the right.  Is it worth damaging your reputation?

i have, for the most part, had decent clients. once in a while, you will get a bad one no matter how much checking and careful business practice you do. in the case where the money was enough to warrant action, i have resorted to small claims. like all government agencies, especially legal ones, the hoop jumping was exacting and not too difficult. they try to make the mechanics of the legal stuff reasonable and i got equitable relief for my troubles (including fees and expenses). it's not like criminal court.

for a hundred usd or so, it's probably not worth it for most. for a couple of hundred or closer to a thousand, it could be. the court allows for the discovery of financial status and collection if you win.

Nov 25 18 11:33 am Link

Photographer

Tony Lawrence

Chicago, Illinois, US

Isaiah Brink wrote:

Use a modeling agency and use an agency model.

While I get your point for most photographers using agency models won't work.  Why?  Most agencies won't want their models to do nudes which is a lot of what the OP seems to shoot.  They also will likely ask for a lot of $$$ even if they let their models shoot.  Worse in a sense many will not let their models sign a release of any sort.   Sadly there isn't a lot he can do.   Going forward I suggest only renting studio space, etc. with vetted models.  I looked at the OP's work and its very good.  My feeling is with a bit more networking he could find reliable decent models to shoot.   While MM is popular here maybe, https://purpleport.com/ might be a better option for shooters in Europe.  I also looked at his linked portfolio and he has some SOLID material.

What I would do is take some non nude shots especially a few of his beautiful head shots to local agencies.  What may happen is they will send him new models.  Once you are on a rounds list models will find him.  So its clear.   The idea may be to approach agencies to test models.   It usually can't be nude.  Many if not most WILL not send models to photographers they don't know even if its for paid work for models.

Nov 25 18 06:00 pm Link

Photographer

Isaiah Brink

Tony Lawrence wrote:

While I get your point for most photographers using agency models won't work.  Why?  Most agencies won't want their models to do nudes which is a lot of what the OP seems to shoot.  They also will likely ask for a lot of $$$ even if they let their models shoot.  Worse in a sense many will not let their models sign a release of any sort.   Sadly there isn't a lot he can do.   Going forward I suggest only renting studio space, etc. with vetted models.  I looked at the OP's work and its very good.  My feeling is with a bit more networking he could find reliable decent models to shoot.   While MM is popular here maybe, https://purpleport.com/ might be a better option for shooters in Europe.  I also looked at his linked portfolio and he has some SOLID material.

What I would do is take some non nude shots especially a few of his beautiful head shots to local agencies.  What may happen is they will send him new models.  Once you are on a rounds list models will find him.  So its clear.   The idea may be to approach agencies to test models.   It usually can't be nude.  Many if not most WILL not send models to photographers they don't know even if its for paid work for models.

Well freelance models ask for boatloads of money to do nudes, so where's the difference?  The difference is that the agency model will be a bit more reliable and show up.  Gotta remember, most of us DON'T do nudes.  Just many here on MM do nudes, but that does not reflect the majority of photographers or professional photographers as a whole.  And the OP did not ask fora critique of his work, so I will not violate forum rules and offer an unsolicited critique.  I figure he or she has some work up and it is what it is.  But take care, and keep shooting!

Dec 01 18 05:24 pm Link

Model

Laura UnBound

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Deep Visions wrote:
If you're going to invest $$$ on a studio then invest $$$ on a professional model

^^^

Most of us cant afford to have a reputation for blowing off shoots.

Dec 01 18 10:24 pm Link

Photographer

Natural Means

Yamba, New South Wales, Australia

Air Portraits wrote:

Trade shoots? Hobbiest (like me), allways have a plan b hobbie (mine is golf).

Pro, with a client counting on you, spend more upfrint, on a pro model or use a proven "turnerupper".

Dec 01 18 10:56 pm Link

Photographer

Isaiah Brink

Laura UnBound wrote:

^^^

Most of us cant afford to have a reputation for blowing off shoots.

Yes, you are correct.  Most of us on either side of the camera can't afford to have that type of reputation.  We've all had no shows on both sides of the camera, and they suck, they waste time and energy that could have been spent doing something else.  And they are of course very frustrating especially if you get more than one in a short amount of time, which does happen.  But we need to move on and keep going right?  And we have to realize that they are the exception to the norm not the norm.  I just wish I could get away from the huge ego's and bad attitudes that is poisoning this industry.  But that's my irritant lately.

Dec 02 18 10:58 am Link

Photographer

Darren Brade

Isaiah Brink wrote:
Well freelance models ask for boatloads of money to do nudes, so where's the difference?  The difference is that the agency model will be a bit more reliable and show up.

Freelance models are a LOT cheaper than an agency model who will always come with agency fees on top of that boatload.

Also they don't just let anyone shoot their models even if they have the money to pay since MM is the bottom of the barrell to them. A photographer that only exists here shooting nudes probably won't get a look in.

However there are a few "agencies" where someone collects freelance models on the hope to get them work, but they are subject to the same problems as hiring direct from MM.

Dec 08 18 12:54 am Link

Photographer

Tony Lawrence

Chicago, Illinois, US

Darren Brade has said it well.   Even if an agency would send models it could cost many hundreds of dollars per hour.   So its clear, agencies typically bill clients and unless you have a business license and are known to them and can show that you will pay its unlikely they would send anyone.  Some might say well the photographer could pay before the session but that just isn't how agencies work.   Frankly if I could I'd pay every model I shot but I simply don't have the money and I think I speak for many other photographers here.   That said I also get how models feel.   Photos no matter how nice won't pay bills.  There is no easy answer.  Renting a studio, etc. comes with some risks models will flake even if you are paying them.  Models also take risks accepting paid sessions only to not get what they were promised.   

I will repeat this.   The OP has good work and my feeling is with some networking and going to  fashion shows and hitting up model groups on Facebook would find more dependable models.   Perhaps offering incentives like paid travel from cities close to him might also help.   I can't speak on Germany but I could have found models when I went to a few countries in Europe a few years ago.   That's another story though...

Dec 08 18 08:27 am Link

Photographer

Garry k

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Tony Lawrence wrote:
Darren Brade has said it well.   Even if an agency would send models it could cost many hundreds of dollars per hour.   So its clear, agencies typically bill clients and unless you have a business license and are known to them and can show that you will pay its unlikely they would send anyone.  Some might say well the photographer could pay before the session but that just isn't how agencies work.   Frankly if I could I'd pay every model I shot but I simply don't have the money and I think I speak for many other photographers here.   That said I also get how models feel.   Photos no matter how nice won't pay bills.  There is no easy answer.  Renting a studio, etc. comes with some risks models will flake even if you are paying them.  Models also take risks accepting paid sessions only to not get what they were promised.   

I will repeat this.   The OP has good work and my feeling is with some networking and going to  fashion shows and hitting up model groups on Facebook would find more dependable models.   Perhaps offering incentives like paid travel from cities close to him might also help.   I can't speak on Germany but I could have found models when I went to a few countries in Europe a few years ago.   That's another story though...

Broad Generalizations about Agencies are not very helpful

I have been shooting  creatives with one agency in my area where I have paid $100 per shoot ( plus 15 percent commission ) other agencies would allow me to use their Models for free if I shoot High Fashion with a Full Team ( No thanks ) Still other Agencies wont give me the time of day - and i have no idea what thats about

But I generallly prefer not to deal with Agencies

I have had good success with Agency Models who are Free to find their own work ( and most of my port is filled with such )again in the $100 range per shoot ... Some Agencies however are very controlling ove who their Models work with

All the Models in my Portfolio and Bio Page here ( except for 4 Models ) were Agency Models that I shot with - without the involvement of their Agency

Being the principle photgrapher ( then director of photography ) for my city's Fashion Week for nearly 15 years really helped me in finding Models ( and many aspiring Models that did not cost me anything to shoot with )

and Yes ( in my experience ) most Agencies don't have a lot of respect for this site ....

Dec 08 18 10:13 am Link

Photographer

Abbitt Photography

Washington, Utah, US

Air Portraits wrote:

1.  I realize independent models are not agency models and are much more likely to cancel or flake.  If I was doing expensive commercial shoots, I’d hire agency models, but that’s not what I’m doing.   

2.  I get a phone number at booking.   Models who know they aren’t serious will be reluctant to give their phone number.   

3.  I do an email confirmation about 3 days prior and a phone call confirmation a couple hours prior.   At this point it’s too late to get an other model, but at least m not waiting around after shoot start time wondering.   

4.  I never invest anything into a single shoot I’m not happy to lose.   I don’t rent studio space, I don’t hire a MUA, and I don’t give up anything important.  I never put myself in a position I need the photos in a timely manner.    I make alternative plans for my time.  Basically, I consider it a bonus if the model follows through.   

If I’ve personally gotten to know a model well, onl6 then may I depart from the above.

Dec 08 18 02:37 pm Link