This thread was locked on 2018-12-06 13:03:33
Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > Massive earthquake in Anchorage Alaska

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

Shadow Dancer wrote:

Soapbox was full of people arguing over the lies they heard on TV.
I used good references and told the truth, not the same thing at all.

It is easy to select references that you agree with.

Dec 06 18 09:00 am Link

Photographer

63fotos

Flagstaff, Arizona, US

SoCal is overdue for a significant earthquake.

Dec 06 18 09:32 am Link

Photographer

Shadow Dancer

Bellingham, Washington, US

Jerry Nemeth wrote:

It is easy to select references that you agree with.

I agree, it is a convenient tactic that you have chosen, isn't it? Oh wait, you haven't actually provided any references!

It is also easy to attempt to downgrade solid, linked references from long-standing government agencies with credentials in the fields relevant to the topic without providing any evidence at all or even attempting to make any sort of coherent counter-points.

Apparently it is even easier still to totally fail to provide any links to anything at all and just continue to spout unsubstantiated "facts".

Try again, you haven't really said anything yet.

Dec 06 18 09:50 am Link

Photographer

Shadow Dancer

Jerry Nemeth wrote:

Study the research!
If you are still around you will have a front row seat for the quake and Tsunami.

Fake news!!!!

Dec 06 18 10:08 am Link

Artist/Painter

Hunter GWPB

King of Prussia, Pennsylvania, US

Shadow Dancer wrote:
When I moved up here I had a home in the woods. It was spring, as summer arrived I became aware of my predicament. It was a housing association and difficult to get permits for removing trees that were too close to the house. The trees were huge, old cedars and maples.
Then on the Fifth of July a group of young boys were in the woods up the hill a ways setting off leftover fireworks. Literally TONS of fuel in all directions. I called security and they came quickly.
By the following May I had sold the place and moved into a modern fire and earthquake resistant multi-unit condo in town, a steel framed building covered in Hardy plank, well insulated and with fire sprinklers in all units that are inspected annually.. I am on the east side of I-5 and there is quite a rise from here to the water.
There is a small bit of forest to the south of us but it is not connected to the big woods that surrounds Bellingham and could be easily contained.
I am feeling far less threatened but I have lots of friends who I feel are at risk. They don't seem to see the danger in living in heavily wooded areas that are subject to high winds at times, surrounded by trees and humans who appear to behave like imbeciles far too often for my comfort.
We've had longer dry spells in the summer the last few years, all it will take is one cigarette butt or poorly extinguished backyard bon fire. If I am lucky, all my friends will escape and come to live in my little condo after their homes are gone.
I don't look forward to that at all, or the alternative.

When I lived in Idaho, I had a place at the edge of a meadow, a young forest behind me, an older forest with a stream to the right and high plains off to the left, reaching to the foot of the jagged, snow covered mountains.  No neighbors for miles.  I loved it.

I hate where I live now and want to move back into the woods.  But if I stay in the east, the forest fires here aren't so ferocious. No crown fires since most of the trees are deciduous and there are only a couple of species of pines that need fire to reproduce,  It is easy to maintain a decent fire perimeter.  Tall trees next to the house are another issue.  When I moved back here from Florida, I had a client that was building among giant oaks.  I recommended she take them down but the bull dozer operator convinced her to do two horrible things.  One was to cut these valuable saw and veneer logs off with a stump of about 6 feet so he could use the leverage to push them out.  That cost her thousands of dollars in lost lumber, and he pushed the stumps into a pile that is probably still there 35 years later.  The other thing that happened, all the trees I told her to remove and he said to keep, died from construction damage.  She paid a friend of mine many thousands of dollars to remove these incredibly huge oak trees with tree trunk sized massive branches that reached across her house.

Got to be smart about living in the woods.

Here, they use wood mulch, often made from ground up pallets or other wast wood, as bedding for planters and gardens.  A couple of time each spring, out biggest fire season, i see a fire going where someone had thrown a cigarette butt into these things and the gardens outside of the stores catch on fire.

Dec 06 18 10:18 am Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

Shadow Dancer wrote:

Fake news!!!!

You will also have a front row seat if you are still around..

Dec 06 18 10:22 am Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

Shadow Dancer wrote:

I agree, it is a convenient tactic that you have chosen, isn't it? Oh wait, you haven't actually provided any references!

It is also easy to attempt to downgrade solid, linked references from long-standing government agencies with credentials in the fields relevant to the topic without providing any evidence at all or even attempting to make any sort of coherent counter-points.

Apparently it is even easier still to totally fail to provide any links to anything at all and just continue to spout unsubstantiated "facts".

Try again, you haven't really said anything yet.

268 seismometers have been placed to monitor the area.
Do your own research!

Dec 06 18 10:28 am Link

Photographer

Shadow Dancer

Jerry Nemeth wrote:

You will also have a front row seat if you are still around..

Yes, perhaps I will live to be a thousand years old or even more.

Dec 06 18 11:14 am Link

Photographer

Shadow Dancer

Jerry Nemeth wrote:

268 seismometers have been placed to monitor the area.
Do your own research!

I did my research and posted it. Clearly you ignored it but still want to try and discredit it.

When they make a seismometer that can accurately predict the future, I will consider that important. The United States Geological Survey (whom I linked above) have seismometers all over the country and they still say that nobody has ever accurately predicted an earthquake.

Yet you continue to repeat unsubstantiated non-facts as if they mean anything. They don't.

Dec 06 18 11:19 am Link

Photographer

Brooklyn Bridge Images

Brooklyn, New York, US

To anybody who believes Earth Quakes are predictable with current science..
I have a Bridge for sale wink

Dec 06 18 11:23 am Link

Photographer

Shadow Dancer

Hunter  GWPB wrote:

When I lived in Idaho, I had a place at the edge of a meadow, a young forest behind me, an older forest with a stream to the right and high plains off to the left, reaching to the foot of the jagged, snow covered mountains.  No neighbors for miles.  I loved it.

I hate where I live now and want to move back into the woods.  But if I stay in the east, the forest fires here aren't so ferocious. No crown fires since most of the trees are deciduous and there are only a couple of species of pines that need fire to reproduce,  It is easy to maintain a decent fire perimeter.  Tall trees next to the house are another issue.  When I moved back here from Florida, I had a client that was building among giant oaks.  I recommended she take them down but the bull dozer operator convinced her to do two horrible things.  One was to cut these valuable saw and veneer logs off with a stump of about 6 feet so he could use the leverage to push them out.  That cost her thousands of dollars in lost lumber, and he pushed the stumps into a pile that is probably still there 35 years later.  The other thing that happened, all the trees I told her to remove and he said to keep, died from construction damage.  She paid a friend of mine many thousands of dollars to remove these incredibly huge oak trees with tree trunk sized massive branches that reached across her house.

Got to be smart about living in the woods.

Here, they use wood mulch, often made from ground up pallets or other wast wood, as bedding for planters and gardens.  A couple of time each spring, out biggest fire season, i see a fire going where someone had thrown a cigarette butt into these things and the gardens outside of the stores catch on fire.

My father was a cabinet maker, I do know the value of woods. My lot in Sudden Valley (Sodden Valley) had some huge cedars and western maples, both desirable woods for carpentry and cabinet making. If the maples have the flamed, quilted or "fiddleback" figuring they can be very valuable indeed, as is straight, quarter sawn cedar (guitar tops!).

But, the requirements were that you had to prove that the trees were either A. A threat of some sort - or - B. Diseased. Then you were required to use a licensed, bonded and insured tree removal service, something I would have wanted to do in any case since these were HUGE trees and could easily crush a human, nearby home (including my own!!!!) or vehicle if there were any errors in felling them.

So I just moved away. I would live in a meadow with trees off yonder but in the middle of one of our forests? NO!!!

Dec 06 18 11:31 am Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

Brooklyn Bridge Images wrote:
To anybody who believes Earth Quakes are predictable with current science..
I have a Bridge for sale wink

They may give a warning of of changes in the earth.

Dec 06 18 11:51 am Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

Shadow Dancer wrote:

I did my research and posted it. Clearly you ignored it but still want to try and discredit it.

When they make a seismometer that can accurately predict the future, I will consider that important. The United States Geological Survey (whom I linked above) have seismometers all over the country and they still say that nobody has ever accurately predicted an earthquake.

Yet you continue to repeat unsubstantiated non-facts as if they mean anything. They don't.

They are monitoring the area.  Probability of future quakes are based on past history.

Dec 06 18 11:54 am Link

Photographer

Shadow Dancer

Jerry Nemeth wrote:

They are monitoring the area.  Probability of future quakes are based on past history.

A. Unsubstaniated opinion
B. Speculation
C. Non-factual statement
D. All of the above.

Correct answer is D.

Dec 06 18 12:24 pm Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

Shadow Dancer wrote:

A. Unsubstaniated opinion
B. Speculation