Forums > Critique > Serious Critique > Critique my portfolio please.

Model

FANDI

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Hi everyone,

Please give any honest feedback on my portfolio. Good & bad.

Thanks!

Dec 02 18 07:40 pm Link

Photographer

Shadow Dancer

Bellingham, Washington, US

Work on expanding your range of expressions, the expressions in your port are pretty limited.
Try to work with better photographers, many of your images look like snapshots.
Cheers.

Dec 03 18 12:00 pm Link

Model

FANDI

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Shadow Dancer wrote:
Work on expanding your range of expressions, the expressions in your port are pretty limited.
Cheers.

Thanks for the suggestion!

Dec 04 18 04:58 am Link

Photographer

Orca Bay Images

Arcata, California, US

Pretty much what Shadow Dancer said.

Biggest problem is your lack of range of expression. They're all (with one possible missed exception) serious deadpan.
Next, quality of the images. Too many snapshots.

https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/171121/21/5a15085dd5b2f_m.jpg
This high-contrast might look artsy, but it backfires for you as model portfolio material. With so much of you in deep shadow, my first reaction is "What's he trying to hide?"

https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/171121/20/5a1502ca12ea2_m.jpg
This is your head floating in space. With a sign sticking out of it. If you're going to wear black clothing against a black background, get a photographer who knows how to use light. (Poor photography may be the photographer's fault, but you are responsible for what goes into your portfolio.)

https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/171121/21/5a150c40c95f4_m.jpg
Not sure if the annoying color cast was intentional or not, but the lighting renders this useless as model portfolio material because your face is hidden in shadow. It may be the only image in which you're trying to show some emotion, but we can't tell except by the posture and your hand and the upset girl. And that dress that poor girl is drowning in really takes over the image.

https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/171121/20/5a1502d706977_m.jpg
Landscape orientation chops off the hand.

Dec 05 18 05:24 am Link

Model

FANDI

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Thanks for the suggestions! It helps a lot!

Dec 05 18 09:51 am Link

Photographer

Bartcephus

Mount Pleasant, Texas, US

Shadow Dancer and Orca Bay are spot on.

Your photographer should be focusing on you and obtaining a variety of poses.  When I viewed your portfolio, there were four photographs that you had the same expression and pose, just different surroundings.  I also found the lack of full length photos as cheating your capabilities to share mood by posture and expression.  While you may consider them artistic, and you might like the the photographs, your portfolio should be selling you and your abilities.  The photographer should be using his talents to frame you in poses, expressions, and postures that flatter you as the subject.  Low key is fine if it highlights you, but if it only shows that the photographer can get the exposure right, then it doesn't help you that much.  Get more shots, work on changing your expressions, postures, poses,  Change from right to left, Sitting, standing, climbing, laying, kneeling, turning back, etc. 

Also, if you are wanting to get hired as a fashion model, keep in mind that you want to make the clothes look great and use poses that make the clothing look comfortable and desirable.  Your goal in your portfolio is not necessarily have unique photos of you, but bringing out what you can bring to the table better than others. 

Good Luck and Best Regards,

B

Dec 07 18 02:36 am Link

Photographer

Bluestill Photography

Yokohama, Kanagawa, Japan

Fandi you have been given some really good serious critiquing and advice as far as your portfolio go. However, I would like to add that you have a strong look with a lot of potential. Work on your expressions, work on your posing especially. Posing and expression is what sets you  apart and land you work. Contact the local photographers in your area (and out of your area). Continue to build your portfolio until it is too difficult to decide what to get rid of. Keep only about 10 photos in your port and ensure that they are your strongest photos (you cannot live without them). Then keep shooting and make sure that from every shoot you walk away with a photo to add to that port and toss out one of the ones you could not live without. And best advice I can give you is to not put more than a single photo from any shoot into your portfolio. Good luck and hopefully I will see you on a billboard one day as I am driving through a downtown area somewhere.

Bluestill

Dec 25 18 07:45 pm Link

Model

FANDI

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Thanks all for the suggestions! You are so helpful!

Jan 01 19 04:49 pm Link

Artist/Painter

Art Hermetic

Leeds, England, United Kingdom

Your portfolio is the same as your instagram: a lot of random ideas, a lot of posing with sunglasses, when you would be better getting basic modelling shots. You have a handsome face, but lack a good headshot. Too many of your photos are about a style or a look or a place-- they should be about you. Your photos do not show you off to your best advantage. Find a photographer who can give you four basic killer shots-- head, profile, standing, character. As other photographers have said, your images do not show your personality and look generic consequently. Nothing stands out and entices photographers at the moment. Good luck :-)

Jan 05 19 02:39 pm Link

Model

FANDI

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Art Hermetic wrote:
Your portfolio is the same as your instagram: a lot of random ideas, a lot of posing with sunglasses, when you would be better getting basic modelling shots. You have a handsome face, but lack a good headshot. Too many of your photos are about a style or a look or a place-- they should be about you. Your photos do not show you off to your best advantage. Find a photographer who can give you four basic killer shots-- head, profile, standing, character. As other photographers have said, your images do not show your personality and look generic consequently. Nothing stands out and entices photographers at the moment. Good luck :-)

Thanks! That is awesome!

Jan 11 19 08:30 am Link

Model

FANDI

Atlanta, Georgia, US

I took some advice and have new content. Tell me what you all think.

Jan 29 19 09:55 am Link

Model

Parker_NYC85

Dayton, Ohio, US

Hey there.. I feel like I am lost with expanding my port folio.. If you could critique my port folio I would appreciate it.. Need negative feedback and ideas I can approve.. Any photos that should not be in my port please ask to be removed. Thank you in advance

Mar 12 19 11:03 pm Link

Photographer

Orca Bay Images

Arcata, California, US

wideoutparker wrote:
Hey there.. I feel like I am lost with expanding my port folio.. If you could critique my port folio I would appreciate it.. Need negative feedback and ideas I can approve.. Any photos that should not be in my port please ask to be removed. Thank you in advance

Set up your own thread requesting a critique. This one is Fandi's.

Mar 13 19 09:27 am Link

Photographer

Orca Bay Images

Arcata, California, US

FANDI wrote:
I took some advice and have new content. Tell me what you all think.

Same deadpan expression throughout.

Mar 13 19 09:29 am Link

Photographer

BMA PHOTO

Pawtucket, Rhode Island, US

Shadow Dancer wrote:
Cheers.

Shadow Dancer is dead on. Use real posing similar to expected work and you have your hands distracting too much too.

May 30 19 06:47 am Link