Forums > Photography Talk > Pocket Wizard compatible radio triggers

Photographer

poiter

Salt Lake City, Utah, US

I did a quick google search but couldn't figure it out. Is there any cheap radio triggers that work with Pocket Wizards? I ask because I already own a few pocket wizards and I'd like to add more radio triggers while save some money.

Thanks in advance!

Dec 07 18 09:49 am Link

Photographer

Todd Meredith

Fayetteville, North Carolina, US

I shoot exclusively with PocketWizards for triggers and have had years of great service from them, thankfully.  That being  said, I've seen friends of mine buy off brand supposedly compatible triggers that didn't work, worked half-so or worked and failed in short order.  One things that I've always tried to do is avoid wasting money.  I'm not cheap but I don't see saving a couple bucks now and having whatever it is fail me when I need it the most as a sound investment.  Sticking with tried and true products is always a good idea.

My advice is to check out places like B&H.  They have the PocketWizard X on sale quite often and often in pairs.  Even though I have plenty, I bought a set last time they were on sale at B&H because it was a quality product at a price that was too good to pass up. 

Wishing you all the best.

Dec 07 18 11:12 am Link

Photographer

Brooklyn Bridge Images

Brooklyn, New York, US

Better bet is clean 2nd hand PWs
I have several and they work great except for the TT5 which for me has never  worked well even with brand new units
www.keh.com is the best US used photo gear seller
Ive gotten clean Plus II's for $25
They may work better than newer models
B&H photo has used dept which would be another good source
Adorama.com used also

Dec 07 18 11:14 am Link

Photographer

Mark Salo

Olney, Maryland, US

"Pocket Wizard Compatible Remotes Are Invading from The East"
http://strobist.blogspot.com/2010/06/po … s-are.html

from 2008:
https://dgrin.com/discussion/115535/nik … zard-clone
I used the eBay triggers with a Sb600 and they worked almost flawlessly. The eBay seller is Gadget Infinity. But I believe you can also buy the from www.MPEX.com. Gadget Infinity ships them straight from China.
That said, I would wait and spend the extra $50 on a set of Radio poppers.

https://dgrin.com/discussion/115535/www.MPEX.com
All,
Will the following fit the bill for remote flash for basketball gym photography. I plan on using with SB800 and SB600s for the slaves.
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.16070
Your advice is appreciated. If you have any other recommendations for something better it is appreciated.
Thanks,
MD

Dec 07 18 03:16 pm Link

Photographer

poiter

Salt Lake City, Utah, US

Thanks everyone for your input!

Dec 07 18 03:27 pm Link

Photographer

Vector One Photography

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US

Depending on what you are trying to release, Pocket Wizard makes connecting cords so you can use them to trigger your camera. Check out their site.

Dec 07 18 07:38 pm Link

Photographer

Voy

Phoenix, Arizona, US

poiter wrote:
I did a quick google search but couldn't figure it out. Is there any cheap radio triggers that work with Pocket Wizards? I ask because I already own a few pocket wizards and I'd like to add more radio triggers while save some money.

Thanks in advance!

Can your flash unit be triggered via slave mode?

Dec 07 18 08:18 pm Link

Photographer

Wayne Stevenson

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

There used to be. Possibly only for foreign frequencies now if they're still making them.

But the Pocketwizard PlusX I hear is a reliable and cheap transceiver.  Came out to compete with all the other cheap ones.

With that said, I hear there's lots of non-Pocketwizards these days that are just as reliable. Any reason why you're wanting Pocketwizard compatable?

I have four Plus IIIs and I love them. I had two wireless systems before going that way (one for on location and one for in-studio). Ended up going with the Plus IIIs as my Sekonic 758 light meter came with built in PocketWizard capabilities and I really seen the benefits of it. Highly recommend them and would never go back.

Dec 30 18 09:12 am Link

Photographer

63fotos

Flagstaff, Arizona, US

Voy wrote:

Can your flash unit be triggered via slave mode?

I think most speedlights, and/or strobes can be put into slave mode. However, since these are optical sensors, the master, and slave must be in line of sight of each other

Dec 30 18 10:32 am Link

Photographer

phpcat

Corcoran, California, US

Brooklyn Bridge Images wrote:
Better bet is clean 2nd hand PWs
I have several and they work great except for the TT5 which for me has never  worked well even with brand new units

I got a dozen PocketWizard Flex TT5 on ebay, some of them dirt cheap, all for under $1200 a year ago, some used and some new.  It took less than a month.  So it may have been lots cheaper had I taken more time.  Then, I studied a series of videos on YouTube called Pocket Wizard ControlTL Mild to Wild.  Following the directions presented there (especially, the instructions presented in the first video beginning at 16:42), I was off and running.  If I had problems later, I would watch the videos again, particularly where it's explained that things have to be turned on in a certain sequence.

Here's the prices I was able to get this gear at, and the dates I got them (all on ebay):

Pocketwizard    Flex TT5        $119.00        4/17/2017
Pocketwizard    Flex TT5        $79.80        4/19/2017
Pocketwizard    Flex TT5        $120.50        4/19/2017
Pocketwizard    Flex TT5        $119.00        4/19/2017
Pocketwizard    Flex TT5        $109.99        4/22/2017
Pocketwizard    Flex TT5        $139.95        4/23/2017
Pocketwizard    Flex TT5        $62.00        4/26/2017
Pocketwizard    Flex TT5        $88.00        4/26/2017
Pocketwizard    Flex TT5        $76.00        5/11/2017
Pocketwizard    Flex TT5        $36.00        5/11/2017
Pocketwizard    Flex TT5        $41.00        5/11/2017

Dec 30 18 10:35 am Link

Photographer

LnN Studio

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

There is more to Radio triggers than just the same Freqs. They are all radios and just like other electronics they have differences of S/N ratio. sensitivity and antenna design . Not all PW perform the same.

That said it depends on your needs. If you are working in a small studio most of those things have no effect. Using them outdoors to fire remote cameras at a distance or in a environment with a lot of electro magnetic interference can cause problems. Also the position of the camera, vertical or horizontal , affects both the broadcasting and receiving ability.

The PW III are a good value and s others have said there are a lot of PW on eBay at great prices.

Dec 30 18 04:30 pm Link

Photographer

Shadow Dancer

Bellingham, Washington, US

63fotos wrote:
However, since these are optical sensors, the master, and slave must be in line of sight of each other

The slave will sync up with any other slave that may be fired at the same time and will also respond to a bounced flash.
If you only have the master and the slave then that does limit what can be done but adding more lights is pretty common. You should be able to fire all of them from one master.

I think the point of the Pocket Wizards is that you could have completely different lighting setups and just fire the setup that you want for that shot, switch frequencies and fire a different setup. That's pretty handy.

Dec 30 18 07:30 pm Link

Photographer

Randy Poe

Green Cove Springs, Florida, US

My first set of triggers were from an obscure company called I shoot. They were clearly designed to be a rip off of Pocket Wizards even in the looks, they were not bad and had some hook up features I had not seen in PW.

I later moved on to Yongnuo and have never looked back but that is not necessarily my point here.

I have with both the I shoot and with other folks PW's have used both the Yongnuo and the other brands at the same time.

Place the Yongnuo on your hot shot and plug the trigger cable into the sides. Then place the PW or whatever brand on the hot-shoe of the Yongnuo and use the other Yongnuo to trigger all of your triggers. bit of a rigamaroo but 30 bucks a pair says it works.

I eventually just moved on to using all Yongnuo but this is one method to use a mix.

Dec 31 18 01:06 am Link