Forums > Photography Talk > Lighting on this image?

Photographer

MarkGerrardPhotography

Manchester, England, United Kingdom

Love the lighting on this for something different,  can anyone tell me how to achieve the same result?

The model seems to have left MM and took down her port,so I can't find out who the photographer is

https://www.modelmayhem.com/contests/po … iew/710478

Dec 08 18 04:33 am Link

Photographer

SayCheeZ!

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

It looks like someone used Lightroom and highlighted the model with a brush with a high white setting and a slight feather.
Can be done other ways and with other programs too.

Dec 08 18 05:34 am Link

Photographer

HV images

Belfast, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom

MarkGerrardPhotography wrote:
Love the lighting on this for something different,  can anyone tell me how to achieve the same result?

The model seems to have left MM and took down her port,so I can't find out who the photographer is

https://www.modelmayhem.com/contests/po … iew/710478

Get the biggest light modifier you can find, set it at 45 degrees model left, set your camera to JPEG. Then accidentally forget to turn on the light source, take your shot, import the photo to your workstation and try to bring  back the model in Photoshop using a soft edged  brush and whatever your favourite method of increasing exposure is wink

Sorry, couldn't resist smile

The real answer is,  there's not real lighting to speak off on that photo, the image is under exposed by 3-4 stops, probably lit only by natural light or at most the modelling lights, then tried to recover using software.

Dec 08 18 05:35 am Link

Photographer

SayCheeZ!

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

HV images wrote:
The real answer is,  there's not real lighting to speak off on that photo, the image is under exposed by 3-4 stops, probably lit only by natural light or at most the modelling lights, then tried to recover using software.

Totally agree with most of what's been said.  There's a few different techniques to get that type of look, but it's definitely (and obvious to the trained eye) that it was done in post production and not with on scene lighting.

Dec 08 18 05:42 am Link

Photographer

Isaiah Brink

Charlotte, North Carolina, US

Well you either do it in Lightroom or you could take your main light, use the barn doors on it to narrow down the light and set the power output about 3 stops higher than your fill lights.

Dec 08 18 03:14 pm Link

Photographer

Todd Meredith

Fayetteville, North Carolina, US

Isaiah Brink wrote:
Well you either do it in Lightroom or you could take your main light, use the barn doors on it to narrow down the light and set the power output about 3 stops higher than your fill lights.

I was thinking likewise, Isaih.  The barndoors were in tight and it's just the modeling light.  Possibly a shot when the strobe didn't fire and the "artist, felt they had something they liked.

Dec 08 18 03:19 pm Link

Photographer

Herman Surkis

Victoria, British Columbia, Canada

Underexposed.
Exposure pushed in post so the highlights are going past blown and the edges are solarized.
Could be done any of the above ways, but not without post.

Pushed more and the whole image would be solarized.

Masking and a brush could have been used to control where the effect appeared.

Dec 08 18 03:52 pm Link

Photographer

Paolo D Photography

San Francisco, California, US

SayCheeZ!  wrote:
[....that it was done in post production and not with on scene lighting.

yes and yes and YES.
that was the first thing i thought.

"Oh em gee da dodge t00l? stamp! lolz"

^thats how my brain thinks

Dec 08 18 04:21 pm Link

Photographer

MarkGerrardPhotography

Manchester, England, United Kingdom

Thanks everyone!

Dec 09 18 01:05 pm Link

Photographer

Studio NSFW

Pacifica, California, US

I was thinking about this and I think you could actually do the effect in camera if the model would hold very still by using a pin-spot and using a light painting technique.

I don't know why you would, it looks weird and unnatural to me, but thats why Baskin Robbins has 31 flavors/

Dec 09 18 02:17 pm Link

Photographer

AVD AlphaDuctions

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Studio NSFW wrote:
I don't know why you would, it looks weird and unnatural to me, but thats why Baskin Robbins has 31 flavors/

you need CC to use baskin-robbins.  not compatible with CS6

Dec 10 18 11:33 am Link

Photographer

Photography by Riddell

Hemel Hempstead, England, United Kingdom

Seriously?

Please tell me this is a joke? Its as awaful as can be.

Its a badly shot image with a light of some kind, at her chest and face, probably something like a worklight.
Its then had some really terrible photoshop work applied to it.

Nothing skilled about it at all. If I wanted to butcher images like this, its about 10 seconds work, some awful over dodging andthen chuck on a couple of filters.

Dec 11 18 01:45 am Link

Photographer

Studio NSFW

Pacifica, California, US

AVD AlphaDuctions wrote:

you need CC to use baskin-robbins.  not compatible with CS6

Fortunately, Capture One has a Recipe...

Dec 11 18 08:56 am Link