Forums > Photography Talk > Wireless card for older DLSRS

Photographer

Tony Lawrence

Chicago, Illinois, US

I have two older Canon cameras which use CF cards.   While I can tether wired I wanted to be able to send photos wireless to my tablets.   There are several SD to SF cards which allow this but I recently found this.   https://www.amazon.com/Adapter-Memory-C … B07BXDJG75   I used a old micro SD card and its works!   While its kinda slow to transfer images they come across my tablet.   Please note I am not selling these units.

Dec 09 18 12:15 am Link

Photographer

Todd Meredith

Fayetteville, North Carolina, US

Hey Tony,

Great find.  Did you notice any loss of data or distortion in the images using that device?  The price is pretty reasonable, too.  There's nothing worse than wasting money but this is a pretty slim investment for something that actually works.

Thanks for sharing!

Dec 09 18 06:44 am Link

Photographer

Tony Lawrence

Chicago, Illinois, US

I didn't notice any distortion and as Todd noted its not expensive.   I had a old 4gb micro SD and it worked.   I have a Eye-Fi card and a non working Toshiba Air card.   It never worked well.   The thing I like is being able to see my images on a larger screen then my camera LCD but the images are not saved on the tablet and are visible only when the camera and network are both connected.   My Eye-Fi card saves to my devices.   This might be good for someone using a iPad or 10" Android table.   I had considered trying to tether to a laptop on location but that would be mostly a pain.

Dec 09 18 07:24 pm Link

Photographer

Robb Mann

Baltimore, Maryland, US

I should look into this for my D500 as the built-in wifi, Snapbridge, has failed to connect to my camera le last 50 times I’ve tried.

Dec 13 18 02:57 am Link

Photographer

Isaiah Brink

Charlotte, North Carolina, US

Robb Mann wrote:
I should look into this for my D500 as the built-in wifi, Snapbridge, has failed to connect to my camera le last 50 times I’ve tried.

I have a D500 as well, and there is an app for at least the iPhone (that's what I have I'm sure it's out for Android as well) but this app supposedly will allow you to send your images directly from your camera to your phone, and I imagine you could also do it for an iPad or tablet as well, using the cameras built in bluetooth.  If you try this, I'd be interested in the results.  I don't have the memory space in my phone and don't have a tablet, but I'm still curious as to if or how it works.  Thanks!

Dec 14 18 06:35 am Link

Photographer

Tony Lawrence

Chicago, Illinois, US

I have just bought a EZ Share card.   While I like the  WIFI Adapter Memory Card TF Micro SD to CF Compact Flash Card Kit.   I don't like the fact that images can't be saved to the camera role or to the tablet.   The EZ Share card doesn't have this limitation reportedly.  I will report back with my findings.

Dec 15 18 04:22 pm Link

Photographer

PhotoPower

Elmsdale, Nova Scotia, Canada

Could a USB connection get CF card images from Camera to iPad/iPhone. I just got SD card connector from Apple, and noticed they also have USB connector (via Firewire). Just curious if anybody had tried that route with older DSLR, as image is going direct to Apple device from camera...might work?

Jan 12 19 01:43 pm Link

Photographer

JBP Graphics

Victoria, British Columbia, Canada

You could go with a CaseAir from Tether Tools. It plugs into the cameras USB and creates a Wi-Fi hot zone and sends images to your iPad while keeping your cameras memory slots open for card storage. It does Live View and review of shots taken, I send Basic Small jpegs to the iPad and the camera stores the Raw NEF’s on cards.In my experience it is slower than tethering to Capture One, but faster and less buggy than the Wi-Fi memory card devices.

Jan 12 19 07:52 pm Link

Photographer

JPV_IMAGES

Norwich, England, United Kingdom

Have you looked at the Camranger, these work well and can be very affordable second hand.

Jan 13 19 02:14 am Link

Photographer

Tony Lawrence

Chicago, Illinois, US

Thanks for the suggestions guys but both suggestions cost more then I want to spend.

Jan 13 19 05:59 am Link

Photographer

Roberto De Micheli

New York, New York, US

Has anyone tried this (wi-fi SD card inside an SD to CF adapter) with a PhaseOne digital MF back?

Got one recently and would love to go wireless... I have an IQ180 but can't afford the IQ2 series that is wireless out of the box

Jan 13 19 11:59 am Link

Photographer

Tony Lawrence

Chicago, Illinois, US

Roberto De Micheli wrote:
Has anyone tried this (wi-fi SD card inside an SD to CF adapter) with a PhaseOne digital MF back?

Got one recently and would love to go wireless... I have an IQ180 but can't afford the IQ2 series that is wireless out of the box

You could send your camera to me so I could check it out for you.   solo scherzando    I would guess it would work but these devices may not be capable of transferring image files that large to a tablet very quickly.   Does that camera offer a way to save both RAW and JPEG?  If so you could in theory have the JPEG sent to the tablet or computer.   The adapter is cheap so its worth a try.   EZ Share also has a Windows, Android and MacOS app so you can see images on a computer.   Years ago I used a portable wireless router with some older DLSR it was the TP-Link battery router which I hacked with Linux software.   Worked okay but was cumbersome.   I don't know if a Camranger or the Case Air would work either but its worth a try and I'd start with the EZ Share then the Case Air next and last the Camranger.  https://www.tethertools.com/product/cas … ng-system/

You can email all of the makers and get their input.

Jan 13 19 01:30 pm Link

Photographer

Roberto De Micheli

New York, New York, US

Tony Lawrence wrote:
You could send your camera to me so I could check it out for you.   solo scherzando    I would guess it would work but these devices may not be capable of transferring image files that large to a tablet very quickly.   Does that camera offer a way to save both RAW and JPEG?  If so you could in theory have the JPEG sent to the tablet or computer.   The adapter is cheap so its worth a try.   EZ Share also has a Windows, Android and MacOS app so you can see images on a computer.   Years ago I used a portable wireless router with some older DLSR it was the TP-Link battery router which I hacked with Linux software.   Worked okay but was cumbersome.   I don't know if a Camranger or the Case Air would work either but its worth a try and I'd start with the EZ Share then the Case Air next and last the Camranger.  https://www.tethertools.com/product/cas … ng-system/

You can email all of the makers and get their input.

Har har smile
No my back saves images in RAW only and 16 bit at that...
You are right though I should man up and buy adaptor and card smile
Although there is a couple of lenses I want and those are priority...and expensive:(

Jan 14 19 02:17 am Link

Photographer

Roberto De Micheli

New York, New York, US

Well, hold your horses! Looks like the new CamFi Pro Plus may (may!) fit the bill... IQ180 officially listed in the compatibility list! smile

Jan 15 19 02:18 pm Link

Retoucher

Retoucher Daniel

Miami Beach, Florida, US

Learn this system https://dslrdashboard.info . It is a universal system for remote camera operation.

Jan 30 19 01:45 am Link