Forums > Digital Art and Retouching > Question: Which Laptop color space should I get?

Photographer

RonaldLee

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Hi there, looking for your feedback about my editing monitor situation.

I currently edit photos (and video) on a Full HD monitor that has 100% sRGB and 79% AdobeRBG color space. I was quite happy to find one that has 100% sRGB as 80% of my work is displayed and about 20% is printed, where AdobeRGB would be more useful (but printed sRGB still looks good).

At the moment I’m about to buy a new laptop and I have the choice between these two screens
:
1) Full HD at 100% sRGB and 77% AdobeRGB
2) 4K at 100% sRGB and 99% AdobeRGB

Which laptop should I get? At first glance, the 4K screen is an awesome choice, HOWEVER, I do plan to use my images on the laptop and the desktop (both are calibrated) and the extra color space may make the image color look different between then. Also, I actually had a 4K laptop before and returned it because it’s hard to use software on it because everything is so tiny,

What do you suggest for my situation? Would I notice that big a difference if I opted for the 4K laptop and thus I should keep with the Full HD?

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Jan 02 19 10:19 am Link

Photographer

Chuckarelei

Seattle, Washington, US

RonaldLee wrote:
Hi there, looking for your feedback about my editing monitor situation.
I currently edit photos (and video) on a Full HD monitor that has 100% sRGB and 79% AdobeRBG color space. I was quite happy to find one that has 100% sRGB as 80% of my work is displayed and about 20% is printed, where AdobeRGB would be more useful (but printed sRGB still looks good).

I have no idea of what you are talking about. Would someone enlighten me a little?

Jan 02 19 10:39 pm Link

Photographer

Chuckarelei

Seattle, Washington, US

Jan 02 19 10:39 pm Link

Photographer

RonaldLee

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Chuckarelei wrote:

I have no idea of what you are talking about. Would someone enlighten me a little?

Hi Chuck, I really encourage you to Google about photo color spaces, its something photographers and editors would benefit from knowing about.

Jan 03 19 01:41 am Link

Photographer

Chuckarelei

Seattle, Washington, US

RonaldLee wrote:
Hi Chuck, I really encourage you to Google about photo color spaces, its something photographers and editors would benefit from knowing about.

I know what color space is, I just don't know what you were talking about.

Jan 03 19 10:27 am Link

Retoucher

Pictus

Teresópolis, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

I would buy the one with the smallest DeltaE color/gray
https://www.notebookcheck.net/The-Best- … 541.0.html

As you have a standard gamut monitor, the wide gamut would be interesting, but you already mentioned
that had a 4K laptop and returned, are you going to make the "same mistake" again?

Jan 03 19 05:32 pm Link