Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > Is today's music crap?

Photographer

kickfight

Portland, Oregon, US

DCurtis wrote:
Consider this - a radio station playing a song from the 1970's, is like a radio station in the 70's playing a song from the 1930's.

Maybe you forgot that a song from the 1910's hit #3 on the charts in 1974. And maybe you forgot that a number of disco songs were direct call-backs to popular music from the 20s and 30s. And maybe you forgot that the 70s were lousy with references to the 1950s. So yes, it absolutely happens. And yes, music from the 2010s will almost certainly be played on whatever passes for "radio" in 2050, if we make it that far. 

And I have to ask... are most of those 1970s songs being played on radio today really actually "good"? Or are we simply confusing the terms "fun" and "nostalgic" and "familiar" with the term "good"? Because they're not the same thing.

DCurtis wrote:
Well, there are aesthetic standards to music and those standards can be measured objectively. Yes music is subjective,  and yes you can break the rules. But there are still standards. How many of you in photography use, or keep in mind, the rule of thirds?

So, applying this example to the actual topic, is the complaint that music today is using "the rule of thirds" too much? Not enough? When Arnold Schoenberg introduced the twelve-tone method, it was largely regarded as utter garbage, as just noise. Same thing with jazz... a whole bunch of folks reacted to it like it was the harbinger of the very end of civilization. Many people utterly hated it when the Beatles used ideas from Indian ragas in their music. Remember Don Draper's reaction to "Tomorrow Never Knows" in that episode of Mad Men? He's hearing the sound of a world that has changed, and he's appalled by it (but he will eventually embrace it, at last finding some solace and peace of mind).

The point is, obviously, that some people like the guy in that video are essentially complaining that music today is actually too standardized, and yet they're basing that complaint on a comparison to an era in music that was, in essence, obsessed with fucking with established status-quo standards. It's a foolishly-contradictory argument, which is why it totally fails.

Feb 08 19 11:59 am Link

Photographer

kickfight

Portland, Oregon, US

Shadow Dancer wrote:
I am sure Bob Dylan is delighted to be recognized at such a high level and rightfully so. His best songs are iconic and important "influencers" that affected the course of history.

Agree 100%. In fact, the point of bringing him up in this context is precisely to reiterate that he's been recognized for raising the standard for lyrical content in pop music to the level of Literature.

So, to suggest that the lyrical content in popular music has decreased/degraded since the era of Highway 61 Revisited and Blonde On Blonde or even Blood On The Tracks is, again, a totally unfair comparison.

Feb 08 19 12:05 pm Link

Photographer

Shadow Dancer

Bellingham, Washington, US

kickfight wrote:

Agree 100%. In fact, the point of bringing him up in this context is precisely to reiterate that he's been recognized for raising the standard for lyrical content in pop music to the level of Literature.

So, to suggest that the lyrical content in popular music has decreased/degraded since the era of Highway 61 Revisited and Blonde On Blonde or even Blood On The Tracks is, again, a totally unfair comparison.

Yes, the sample size of Dylan is "One of a Kind."

Feb 08 19 12:20 pm Link

Photographer

kickfight

Portland, Oregon, US

Shadow Dancer wrote:
Yes, the sample size of Dylan is "One of a Kind."

Preeee-cisely. And yet, as you pointed out, his influence is vast. It's the shadow that is cast over subsequent decades. So I think we can still embrace "Get Lucky" and "All Along The Watchtower" on their own individual terms, and not dump on the former just because it isn't conveying what the latter conveys so spectacularly. They're both artifacts of popular music.

Feb 08 19 12:30 pm Link

Photographer

Shadow Dancer

kickfight wrote:

Preeee-cisely. And yet, as you pointed out, his influence is vast. It's the shadow that is cast over subsequent decades. So I think we can still embrace "Get Lucky" and "All Along The Watchtower" on their own individual terms, and not dump on the former just because it isn't conveying what the latter conveys so spectacularly. They're both artifacts of popular music.

Indeed, and for all that - this was more influential than some may realize. Yes, it is moronic, that is part of it's genius.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Gc4QTqslN4

And then, there is this. I saw this recently, as a scholar of American Music this really helped to connect the dots -well worth the $4.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPMzMw8VZ94

Feb 08 19 12:45 pm Link

Photographer

kickfight

Portland, Oregon, US

Shadow Dancer wrote:
Indeed, and for all that - this was more influential than some may realize. Yes, it is moronic, that is part of it's genius.

Yep. And Dylan himself was not above writing pure fluff pop songs, which he would eventually perform himself.

Shadow Dancer wrote:
And then, there is this. I saw this recently, as a scholar of American Music this really helped to connect the dots -well worth the $4.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPMzMw8VZ94

Saw that on Amazon Prime. Utterly fantastic doc. borat

Feb 08 19 12:57 pm Link

Photographer

Shadow Dancer

kickfight wrote:

Shadow Dancer wrote:

Yep. And Dylan himself was not above writing pure fluff pop songs, which he would eventually perform himself.

Saw that on Amazon Prime. Utterly fantastic doc. borat

Or this masterpiece. Best karaoke song EVER!!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0pmQ8UNOnuQ

Then, there is this. A bit more sophisticated lyrically but in the end it is the story of a stick of gum.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_RIFh9lSLC8

Feb 08 19 01:30 pm Link

Photographer

kickfight

Portland, Oregon, US

Also, we should keep in mind that it's not just pop music that's settled into predictable formulaic patterns. It's not like there have been any major significant innovations (never mind revolutionary leaps-forward) in country or jazz or classical music in quite awhile either. The entirety of the new millennium has in fact been pretty much treading water, stylistically-speaking, across all mainstream creative forms. OTOH, it's been a fantastic time for indie anything (music, movies, literature, etc), better in fact than I've ever experienced in 45 years of conscious/conscientious consumption.

A mutual point of agreement might, however, be that, as result, those mainstream forms do indeed feel... well, more obviously ---perhaps too blatantly--- mainstream. I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing... it just suggests that we are all scrutinizing mainstream content with a more sophisticated critical apparatus and find it somewhat bland and rote and too eager to be consumed as pure entertainment product. But again, that's not limited to pop music... it applies to movies and TV shows and a lot of the media that is put before us. Beneath that superficial surface, which has always existed, but maybe not as bluntly as it does now, there is a LOT of really good stuff. But yes, very possibly that stuff that skims the surface does come across as more conspicuously generic, more blatantly manufactured, than ever before.

And maybe that's the whole point. Maybe by fully embracing conspicuous consumerism and openly displaying its blatantly-manufactured origins, pop music today is saying "Oh, yeah? Scrutinize this, music nerd..." while holding up a middle finger and sticking out its tongue at everyone. If so, that's actually pretty frickin' punk rock. big_smile

Feb 08 19 02:44 pm Link

Photographer

kickfight

Portland, Oregon, US

As somewhat peripherally related to the topic, I felt that this recent article would be of interest. smile

Feb 08 19 03:17 pm Link

Photographer

LongWindFPV Visuals

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Shadow Dancer wrote:
As to Larry Graham and your reference/dismissal of Motown, listen to this song!!! James Jamerson influenced EVERY bassist who followed, including Larry. That is one hell of a bass line!!! And Mr. Wonder receives accolades for many aspects of his wonderful music but he is certainly in the top tiers of pop harmonica players, with a distinctive style all his own.
Cheers,
Michael

Gotta love quirky older brothers huh! Hehe.  Glad you mentioned Jamerson. Quick truth. Up until YouTube got updated with more information about Jamerson, and how MoTown didn't give credits and make their studio musicians known back then, I had always assumed it was Jermaine Jackson thumping on the bass to all their old school MoTown songs.  It was only at the end of 2018, I learned about him. Heck, it wasn't until Louis Johnson and Starlick's got together to produce a training video, where I learned about ghost notes and how he applied it to his style of playing. All of a sudden, playing music, and on the bass, was really fun again. But, I've always loved songs that featured the style of Jamerson's playing. One cat I followed for a while was Leon Sylvers III, because at the time when he came out with the group named Dynasty, his songs was the only at the time where I heard the ghost notes but in the traditional style of playing bass.  Anyway, long story.  Everyone else you mentioned, Mingus, Thelonius, hehe, our homes and growing up had a lot in common.

Feb 09 19 12:10 pm Link

Photographer

Shadow Dancer

LongWindFPV Visuals wrote:

Gotta love quirky older brothers huh! Hehe.  Glad you mentioned Jamerson. Quick truth. Up until YouTube got updated with more information about Jamerson, and how MoTown didn't give credits and make their studio musicians known back then, I had always assumed it was Jermaine Jackson thumping on the bass to all their old school MoTown songs.  It was only at the end of 2018, I learned about him. Heck, it wasn't until Louis Johnson and Starlick's got together to produce a training video, where I learned about ghost notes and how he applied it to his style of playing. All of a sudden, playing music, and on the bass, was really fun again. But, I've always loved songs that featured the style of Jamerson's playing. One cat I followed for a while was Leon Sylvers III, because at the time when he came out with the group named Dynasty, his songs was the only at the time where I heard the ghost notes but in the traditional style of playing bass.  Anyway, long story.  Everyone else you mentioned, Mingus, Thelonius, hehe, our homes and growing up had a lot in common.

Gave your samples a spin. Nice work, did you play/program everything yourself?
This is some of my original instrumental pieces. I composed, played, engineered and mixed. Still learning!!!
I also write lyrics, have some recording to do.
https://www.reverbnation.com/opossumapocalypse/songs

Here are some re-mixes I've been doing, mostly to learn my DAW better but partly to maybe win some prizes. This is an  active community, it would take all day every day to listen to all the things that get submitted here.
https://metapop.com/opossum-apocalypse

Cheers,
Michael

Feb 10 19 01:40 am Link

Model

Gelsen Aripia

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I don't want to knock all of today's music, since I don't know all of it.  But I am willing to publicly say that "God's Plan" by Drake is the worst shit I have ever heard in my entire life.  I remain confused as to why that would be even remotely popular.  I am more than partial to music from the 60's and 70's, always have been.  Overall, they just seem to have much more in the way of artistic integrity, to me.  I also definitely enjoy some more recent stuff, though.

Feb 17 19 03:12 pm Link

Photographer

John Silva Photography

Fairfield, California, US

DCurtis wrote:
I am hesitant to ask this question - I feel like my grandfather.

If you turn to a radio station, it is possible to hear the song 'YMCA' by the Village People. That song was put out in 1978. That is like hearing a song from 1938 on the radio in 1978.

I am not the only one who thinks this - https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=oVME_l4IwII

I mean as an older, oldish person, I want things to get better.

I think todays music is not only HIP but amazing when you compare it to TOMORROW'S music!!!

Feb 17 19 10:14 pm Link

Model

Marquel Diaz

Washington, District of Columbia, US

As a millennial who listens to A LOT of different types of music I do think modern music isn’t as good as it use to be. In my opinion  most artists nowadays aren’t  really making music with actually meaning behind the lyrics. They’re just trying to appeal to the younger generation who care more about the beat/flow than the lyrics.

Mar 01 19 08:31 pm Link

Model

peter vic

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Most of today's stuff is crap. More so than in the 'old days' because anyone can publish now.

Mar 13 19 10:26 am Link

Photographer

rmcapturing

San Francisco, California, US

When people say that music from before was better, or that music today is garbage; what they really mean is that they were young and used to enjoy life, while listening to the music of that era, and they wish they could re-live that again.

I'm in my mid-30's and I like a bit of everything since early 1900's until now.

Mar 13 19 11:27 pm Link

Photographer

Shadow Dancer

peter3334 wrote:
Most of today's stuff is crap. More so than in the 'old days' because anyone can publish now.

That is one perspective.
The music business has never been about the quality of the music.
If  a song sells, there will be a proliferation of imitation. We are spoon-fed this until a new song comes along that sounds different and sells, then we get that.

The fact that anyone can publish means more music is made available that has been created by artists with true creative intent. Yes, there is a tidal wave of wanna-be imitation pop pablum belching forth from all corners of the earth.

It is overwhelming and not in a good way. So much of the music of the old days is muck pandering to the "tastes" of the public at large, that is still going on.

Just as now we look back at the stuff that has managed to float to the top of the ancient heap, the same will happen with the music of today. Many treasures will be overlooked. Many treasures have already been overlooked.

If you settle for what commercial interests bring you, the good stuff will be few and far between. That is a given for all eras of music, nothing has changed except sheer volume.

Mar 14 19 12:37 am Link

Photographer

Docta Shock Fotografix

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

There is a plethora of great music available today on many platforms and formats. The difference is Radio. Radio used to be local and now it is National. So instead of looking for new material , all the stations are programmed from virtually one source.
The music is still very good, it's just the crap that radio chooses to play/promote makes it all look bad.

Mar 14 19 06:09 am Link

Photographer

Lovely Day Media

Vineland, New Jersey, US

I'm almost 50 years old. I grew up with both parents and especially enjoyed my time in the car with my father who often had Stevie Wonder, Isaac Hayes or Roberta Flack (among others) playing. I came to like this stuff and preferred it over all others. Of course, I grew up and came to appreciate other things. Styles, cultures, genres, etc all changed but I liked what I liked. 1992 hit and the music industry more or less died for me.

There were a few artists out before that who still did some decent stuff and there were a few new bands/groups, but I was still mostly playing my mid 80's and before stuff.

Fast forward to last year, I met up with a woman I used to work with and be decent friends with on a job 20 or so years ago. We decided to try being friends again. I went and picked her up. We went out for lunch and had a decent time catching up on things. Then it hit. She told me I needed to take the CD out of my CD player because she didn't want to hear that stuff. She wanted to hear newer stuff. That's wonderful except I generally don't like newer stuff.

We had this argument a few more times over the next few weeks but stopped when she told me I'm a backward, country mama's boy because I prefer older music instead of newer and this coming from a woman 10 or so years older than me. So I ask her ... you say I need to listen to newer music. Who today makes better music than the Isley Brothers, Temptations, O'Jays or Aretha Franklin? Looooong pause. Finally I say, "I'm waiting". Still no answer coming.

I finally say I'm not looking for 1,000 people. Just one. If we can find just one, we'll start with them and see where it goes. She couldn't give me even one! So I ask her ... you want me to change my whole way of life, thinking, etc to a newer style of music and you can't tell me a single name that you think (doesn't matter what I think) is better? Still no answer. The next time we went out was the last time because she complained about my CD again (a custom mix) but still couldn't or wouldn't tell me anyone she thought was better.

I say, if you don't like the music I play in my car, you don't have to get in to go anywhere. We've been apart the last 20 or so years. We can get by apart again. It wasn't like either of us was interested in sex or romance, anyway. That was probably 2 years ago since I talked to her. I still don't like most music that came out  after 1992 or so.

Mar 18 19 03:12 am Link

Photographer

LongWindFPV Visuals

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Shadow Dancer wrote:
Gave your samples a spin. Nice work, did you play/program everything yourself?
This is some of my original instrumental pieces. I composed, played, engineered and mixed. Still learning!!!
I also write lyrics, have some recording to do.
https://www.reverbnation.com/opossumapocalypse/songs

Here are some re-mixes I've been doing, mostly to learn my DAW better but partly to maybe win some prizes. This is an  active community, it would take all day every day to listen to all the things that get submitted here.
https://metapop.com/opossum-apocalypse

Cheers,
Michael

Hi Michael, thanks for giving my stuff a spin. On my Reverbnation profile dusting it off while I listen to your acoustic guitar work. Cute lil melody. Recording is pretty good too. As for my material, yes I did everything myself using my Arturia keyboards, MiniLab and Brute, in ProTools. No samples or stems from anybody else music. All me.  smile   Not trying to get on on any iHeart stage with my music. Winning prizes would be fun. I've been told I could do well making material for film and for other established artists. Getting to that opening in the field though, eh, I don't know too many people in the biz.

Mar 18 19 01:07 pm Link

Photographer

John Silva Photography

Fairfield, California, US

peter3334 wrote:

That just means more artist that ARE good will be discovered, raising the bar just a little bit higher!!!

Mar 30 19 08:50 pm Link

Photographer

QuaeVide

Pacifica, California, US

I’ve found new bands and new (to me) genres on bandcamp.com.

I probably skim about 50 albums before finding one I’ll listen to in full (for free), and I’ll end up buying maybe half of those.

Apr 02 19 08:43 pm Link

Photographer

Chuckarelei

Seattle, Washington, US

There are craps in every era and generation. Reason you like some of the oldies is because they are good enough to survive the time. I'm sure there were plenty of craps from the past you don't even recognize and remember. For example if you look at an old album, there is only one good song, the rest of the other 10, 12  songs or so are just crap.

Apr 04 19 04:48 pm Link

Photographer

Photo Jen B

Surprise, Arizona, US

Orca Bay Images wrote:
IMO, every generation's music had its share of crap. Time winnows away the crap. The crap doesn't get as much - if any - play 20-30 years down the road. Comparing the entirety of today's music to what survived the test of time from three or four decades back is a very biased comparison.

Agree, the mediocre disappears with time. The truly awful and good stand out.
Jen
p.s. I realize how much of current events I miss when I hear a new, great song that is about 15 years old, for the first time!

Apr 04 19 08:12 pm Link

Photographer

San Anselmo, California, US

THE answer is  yes .. !!!      My tastes  are pretty old  fashioned  I love Mozart, Chopin, Bach,Hindemith & Fats Domino + some Beatles nostalgic stuff..&  I find most RAP  a real turnoff,

Apr 05 19 12:49 am Link

Photographer

A Thousand Words

Lakeland, Florida, US

I love music. I was a radio DJ back in the day (when dinosaurs walked the earth) and I know there's a lot of crap in every decade. Just look at those "one hit wonders" from back in the day. Do you think that those groups only recorded that 1 song?  No, they probably recorded tons of crap as well.

By the way, I'm almost 57 years and I have found plenty of current music that I enjoy. Recently, I've started really getting into Shinedown. The Bad Wolves cover of Zombie is also very stirring to me.

Apr 05 19 12:59 pm Link

Model

Arachnis

Huddersfield, England, United Kingdom

Commercial Pop music is crap and is becoming more and more homogenised.  The reason is that most people don't really care about music.  To them, music is background noise that they don't pay attention to, so the less intricate, the less they have to bother to listen.

Plus, with the advent of the internet and pretty much anyone being able to release pretty much anything via platforms like YouTube.  The record companies, over the last 20 years have become more and more risk averse and won't take a chance to develop new artists, or even go look for them, so they'll pay attention to things that get the most hits on YouTube, Spotify or whatever and just produce more of that.

Cheap and easy means maximum profit.

The quality is there and there is actually more of it.  You've just got to look harder for it.  Bandcamp, for example.

May 03 19 09:22 am Link

Clothing Designer

GRMACK

Bakersfield, California, US

I've wondered how some song hits Billboard's #1 spot when it isn't even available on the market?  Maybe the record label sells so many CDs/vinyls to stores and that's how they count it, even though it may not sell well to the public (Same for New York Times "Best Seller" rating for books yet to sell.).

I suspect there is a lot of hype, possibly PC based marketing nowadays, behind much music (and books, movies, etc.) out there:  "You will like this because we say you will."

May 03 19 09:57 am Link