Forums > Model Colloquy > Disappearing models

Photographer

dougsphotography

Miami, Florida, US

Angel House Portraits wrote:

I was on mm some years ago and went on hiatus and revived the passion for photography and came back but a lot has changed. About all models on mm are now demanding pay. Even new no experience models demand pay. I remember when I used to open a casting call and received a number of replies and that was for TFP. Once they find out that no money is to be made they just move on.

you hit it on the nail....

Jun 21 19 01:04 pm Link

Photographer

Chuckarelei

Seattle, Washington, US

TEB-Art Photo wrote:
IG, Facebook, and Tumblr have all had major failings in their approaches to nudity.

Blogger (Google), IMHO, does it right:

#You don't have to be logged in.
#You do have to have cookies and Javascript turned on.
#You get a warning that the blog may contain sensitive material and are asked whether you wish to proceed.
#If you click, yes, you are good to go for the session.

Prevents accidental exposure to exposure. VERY "not onerous" and respectful of users and visitors.

IG and FB have not shown failure due of nudity disallowed. Because they did so at the beginning. However, Tumblr is a different story. They take away something that users were given to at the beginning. It's like giving the users the finger. But users at the end give them 2 fingers back in return. "Bye bye, you stupid idiots."

Jun 21 19 03:00 pm Link

Model

Tarquin Grey

Los Angeles, California, US

I've been modeling since I was a kid (so for most of my life) and I took a hiatus for health reasons. But upon coming back I feel that MM has changed too. And I'm appalled by how many "models" are demanding pay. I worked hard for years learning my craft and paying my dues doing TFP shoots. I worked very hard to get to where I am and having been published many times over and have earned the rates I charge and earned the right to be called a professional, and it's an insult to watch some of these girls and women insist on payment with absolutely no experience and less than impressive and incredibly amateur portfolios. Modeling is an artform, you can't just stand there and look pretty and flash some nipple and demand $200. It's upsetting and insulting to me and others, and I'm furious for the new photographers that are being taken advantage of, and ripped off, having these horrible experiences, and I've heard way too many nightmare stories.

We seem to live in the age of arrogance and self importance. People see something they want, or want to be, but have no interest in putting in the hard work it takes to get it. So they simply manipulate others and take what they feel justified in having as their own because they "deserve" it. 
This obviously also can play into one of the reasons people are flakey. A lack of respect, and the point of view that they don't owe anyone anything if they don't feel like responding or following through or even showing up. I show up to my shoots early or on time and EVERY time the photographer or production staff are absolutely shocked. It's really sad that I'm a rare commodity because I show up on time, prepared, and do my job. Pfft. Oh well! At least i end up looking like a rock star right!!!??? HAHAHA!!!

Endith my rant 🤣

-Tarquin

P.s. Next on the agenda, awesome artistic ideas... Photographer: "wouldn't it be really cool if you stood on these railroad tracks!?" Me: "sure dude"... puts an imaginary gun to my head to blow my imaginary brains out 😐👍😆

Jul 07 19 07:29 pm Link

Photographer

PHP-Photography

Vaasa, Ostrobothnia, Finland

Tarquin Grey wrote:
I'm appalled by how many "models" are demanding pay. I worked hard for years learning my craft and paying my dues doing TFP shoots. I worked very hard to get to where I am and having been published many times over and have earned the rates I charge and earned the right to be called a professional, and it's an insult to watch some of these girls and women insist on payment with absolutely no experience and less than impressive and incredibly amateur portfolios. Modeling is an artform, you can't just stand there and look pretty and flash some nipple and demand $200. It's upsetting and insulting to me and others, and I'm furious for the new photographers that are being taken advantage of, and ripped off, having these horrible experiences, and I've heard way too many nightmare stories.

We seem to live in the age of arrogance and self importance.

You don't say.

Jul 08 19 08:20 am Link

Model

Tarquin Grey

Los Angeles, California, US

PHP-Photography wrote:

You don't say.

I DID just say 🤣
But, care to elaborate? Because your comment could be interpreted or misinterpreted in several ways, and color me curious as to your intent and point of view... 😁👍

-T

Jul 08 19 07:54 pm Link

Photographer

PHP-Photography

Tarquin Grey wrote:

I DID just say 🤣
But, care to elaborate? Because your comment could be interpreted or misinterpreted in several ways, and color me curious as to your intent and point of view... 😁👍

-T

Your post was full of "arrogance and self importance".

Jul 08 19 10:37 pm Link

Photographer

Tony Lawrence

Chicago, Illinois, US

Tarquin is a stunning woman but she like most models is being paid because she's beautiful, poses nude and has a fantastic figure.   This will get some push back but modeling is less a skill as it is about beauty and looking good on film or digital.   There are a lot of dependable models on this site who few to no one pays.   They are reliable, pose well and take direction but simply aren't all that attractive.   I get why photographers want models who will do trade and yes, many might do better if they worked on getting better images before they charge.   Yet when should they ask for $$$ and from who.

Here's the deal.   After a model gets a few clear shots of herself should should consider asking for some money especially for images that will largely do her no good.

Jul 09 19 07:17 am Link

Photographer

PHP-Photography

Tony Lawrence wrote:
but modeling is less a skill as it is about beauty and looking good on film or digital.

+ big number.

If model has "the look' she will get paid from day 1, no need to do TF with some photographer who will make them a star.

Jul 09 19 10:28 am Link

Photographer

ShutterDoug

Greenbelt, Maryland, US

SayCheeZ!  wrote:
What's even worse are the models that have been on mM for a long time, log in on a regular basis, won't even reply to legitimate gigs and have NOTHING but crappy photos and selfies (which aren't permitted in MM portfolios).  It only makes me wonder what their purpose for being on MM is.

Like the ones who have not added photos  since 2011 and do not appear to have ever updated their profile either?

My best guess is that they have not logged in since 2011 either, but MM updates their last login anyways to make it appear that they have more active models than they do.

That is the only explanation that makes sense for why a model who has been here for almost a decade still has 'no experience' in her profile.  Sure, models can be (justifiably) picky.  But not THAT picky.

Jul 09 19 04:35 pm Link

Artist/Painter

Hunter GWPB

King of Prussia, Pennsylvania, US

ShutterDoug wrote:

Like the ones who have not added photos  since 2011 and do not appear to have ever updated their profile either?

My best guess is that they have not logged in since 2011 either, but MM updates their last login anyways to make it appear that they have more active models than they do.

That is the only explanation that makes sense for why a model who has been here for almost a decade still has 'no experience' in her profile.  Sure, models can be (justifiably) picky.  But not THAT picky.

Welcome to the forums ShutterDoug

It is conceivable that they have not updated their profile/portfolio in 8 years.  That could be motivation to pass on them.  However, I have never seen evidence that MM would rig the login date.  There are many abandoned profiles here.  There are legitimate reasons for not updating the profile.  They may have a small group of people they are comfortable working with and do not care about attracting new talent.  Or, they get plenty of offers on the old stuff.  Don't dwell on it.  It isn't worth your time.

Jul 10 19 03:57 am Link

Artist/Painter

Hunter GWPB

King of Prussia, Pennsylvania, US

Tarquin Grey wrote:
I've been modeling since I was a kid (so for most of my life) and I took a hiatus for health reasons. But upon coming back I feel that MM has changed too. And I'm appalled by how many "models" are demanding pay. I worked hard for years learning my craft and paying my dues doing TFP shoots. I worked very hard to get to where I am and having been published many times over and have earned the rates I charge and earned the right to be called a professional, and it's an insult to watch some of these girls and women insist on payment with absolutely no experience and less than impressive and incredibly amateur portfolios. Modeling is an artform, you can't just stand there and look pretty and flash some nipple and demand $200. It's upsetting and insulting to me and others, and I'm furious for the new photographers that are being taken advantage of, and ripped off, having these horrible experiences, and I've heard way too many nightmare stories.

We seem to live in the age of arrogance and self importance. People see something they want, or want to be, but have no interest in putting in the hard work it takes to get it. So they simply manipulate others and take what they feel justified in having as their own because they "deserve" it. 
This obviously also can play into one of the reasons people are flakey. A lack of respect, and the point of view that they don't owe anyone anything if they don't feel like responding or following through or even showing up. I show up to my shoots early or on time and EVERY time the photographer or production staff are absolutely shocked. It's really sad that I'm a rare commodity because I show up on time, prepared, and do my job. Pfft. Oh well! At least i end up looking like a rock star right!!!??? HAHAHA!!!

Endith my rant 🤣

-Tarquin

P.s. Next on the agenda, awesome artistic ideas... Photographer: "wouldn't it be really cool if you stood on these railroad tracks!?" Me: "sure dude"... puts an imaginary gun to my head to blow my imaginary brains out 😐👍😆

The third MM model I worked with told me a similar history of how she did nothing but TF for a year before charging for her time.  Even then, I felt like she had very reasonable rates.  I learned a lot from her and the other experienced models I worked with.  There is a valuable difference in the skill levels and professionalism of the models that were on MM when I got here, those that are still here, and the new ones coming up.  Since my work doesn't depend on "pretty, young women," I am happy to invest in the experience.  But I also look for models that will fill a niche role, and they tend to be newer.  I have found very skilled and competent models that have only been on MM a couple of years and have been very happy with them and I am willing to work with them again. 

When I started here, I wanted to do TF and pay as little cash as possible.  I altered my philosophy quickly.  I realize that even my best photos have little to offer someone who models for a living.  The aforementioned 3rd model told me she had thousands of photos from professionals.  Mine aren't going to pay her bills or feed her.  To do TF by giving her a painting- no.  It takes too long.  She shouldn't have to wait.  I would rather pay, if we can agree on a suitable rate.

Anyway, I enjoyed your post and perspective.  Welcome to the forums.  Sorry you had a negative experience right out of the gate.

Jul 10 19 04:17 am Link

Photographer

sjx

Boston, Massachusetts, US

Tarquin Grey wrote:

Endith my rant 🤣

-Tarquin

Thank you, Tarquin. Your attitude shows that you value hard work and experience, not the expectation of being handed something because you feel entitled. I agree!  I remember back in the "Dae" when you were in Playboy, looking beautiful!  You rock smile

Jul 10 19 04:40 am Link

Photographer

Paul Grofton

New Port Richey, Florida, US

I have a similar problem. What is worse is they start the conversation and don't finish. Then they contact me months later asking if we can still shoot the project. Huh! It seems they have an attitude of we are here for them. I have found that I like working with Ukrainian and Russian Models they seem to have an excellent work ethic.

Jul 10 19 05:04 am Link

Photographer

TEB-Art Photo

Carrboro, North Carolina, US

Paul Grofton wrote:
I have a similar problem. What is worse is they start the conversation and don't finish. Then they contact me months later asking if we can still shoot the project. Huh! It seems they have an attitude of we are here for them. I have found that I like working with Ukrainian and Russian Models they seem to have an excellent work ethic.

I messaged one model. Heard absolutely nothing back from her for like a year. Ultimately, she did respond, we booked a shoot, she became a favorite. I think the delay was "having a small child" -related.

Jul 10 19 08:06 am Link

Photographer

Mark Reeder

Huntsville, Ontario, Canada

There doesn't seem to be much going on here at all anymore. The castings for all of Ontario for models looking for photographers... there's a whopping 3, for the entire province. That's been pretty normal for a while, along with a lack of response through messaging.

Jul 10 19 02:10 pm Link

Photographer

ShutterDoug

Greenbelt, Maryland, US

A model may still log in for whatever reasons even while not available to shoot.  Although it would seem strange for many models to keep logging in after many years of inactivity.

Also, consider that if, after reading your message, reading your profile, and checking out your port the model, for whatever reason decides to not work with you, she has no incentive to write back.  In fact, she has quite an incentive to not respond at all.   

Guys are jerks.  Not most of us.  Maybe only a small number of us. But that is all it takes.  THOSE guys don't take rejection well.  They won't just accept 'no thanks' they'll keep asking, keep negotiating, keep stalking.  By the time it is clear that he is a jerk, blocking him on MM may be too little too lake.   He's probably already downloaded her port and can do google image searches to look for her on other sites.  He can search for her all over the net by her modeling name. 

He could do all those things just for being ignored from the outset.  but is much more likely to be triggered by being rejected.

So if for whatever reason a model does not want to work with you, her most likely reaction to your contact will be to ignore you.  For her, there is no upside to writing back.

It is not the models' fault.  The fault lies with the jerks.

Jul 12 19 07:22 pm Link

Photographer

IMAGINERIES

New York, New York, US

MM is so proud to have a million+ members...They will never admit that they may have maybe 50 00 thousand active members ( just a guess)
But that's the way it is...

Jul 13 19 08:38 am Link