Forums > Photography Talk > Rename files in Lightoom with Geo tag

Photographer

poiter

Salt Lake City, Utah, US

Is it possible to BATCH rename files AUTOMATICALLY in Lightroom CC Classic with the geo tag in the metadata? Ie, have the file name be whatever the location where the photo was taken. ie, something like... 2019_New_York_City_001.jpg

I did a Google search, couldn't figure it out. Maybe it is not possible. Right now I'm just manually renaming the files.

Feb 26 19 01:47 pm Link

Photographer

phpcat

Corcoran, California, US

In library view, select all the images you want to rename.  Then, go to the library menu and select Rename Photos... Then, in the file renaming drop down menu, select Edit... Then, you should be in the Filename Template Editor.  Here, supposedly you should be able to go to the Metadata section and select something like City, State/Province, Country or whatever you want to insert and you will see there is a box where you can further edit this to place underscores or whatever else you want.

I did not try this, however, because I have only professional bodies which don't feature GPS.  You may have to go to the map view to get the geolocation data into a suitable format, and of course, there may be reasons you may not want to name files this way so consider backing up your files first.  Good luck.

Feb 26 19 07:31 pm Link

Photographer

Marc Gysin

Barcelona, Catalonia, Spain

In LR I did not find a method to change the filename but this one should work and you can put a combination of various fields into the copy and show this in LR. https://www.photographers-toolbox.com/p … ndreplace/

If you want to change the filename, I think you have to look for an option to do this on the OS level.

Feb 27 19 07:04 am Link

Photographer

Eye of the World

Corvallis, Oregon, US

Marc Gysin wrote:
In LR I did not find a method to change the filename but this one should work and you can put a combination of various fields into the copy and show this in LR. https://www.photographers-toolbox.com/p … ndreplace/

If you want to change the filename, I think you have to look for an option to do this on the OS level.

The problem then will be if you change the filename outside of LR I believe you will need to re-import them.

To the OP, I am curious what is the reason for wanting to rename them in that way. IOW, what are you looking to accomplish that renaming would help you with?

Feb 27 19 07:57 pm Link

Photographer

poiter

Salt Lake City, Utah, US

phpcat wrote:
In library view, select all the images you want to rename.  Then, go to the library menu and select Rename Photos... Then, in the file renaming drop down menu, select Edit... Then, you should be in the Filename Template Editor.  Here, supposedly you should be able to go to the Metadata section and select something like City, State/Province, Country or whatever you want to insert and you will see there is a box where you can further edit this to place underscores or whatever else you want.

I did not try this, however, because I have only professional bodies which don't feature GPS.  You may have to go to the map view to get the geolocation data into a suitable format, and of course, there may be reasons you may not want to name files this way so consider backing up your files first.  Good luck.

Thanks this in theory is SUPER helpful. Though I can't get it to work. I was testing with photos shot in RAW with iPhone X. Then I synced it from my phone to Lightroom Classic CC via Adobe's sync. If I press on the Map tab and then click on the photos, I can see that Lightroom CC does indeed know where I took the photo, because it can read the GPS details from the metadata. Also the map clearly shows exactly where I was when I took the photo.

So I go to the Library tab and press F2 to bring up the rename function, I go into edit from the dropdown menu, and I insert country, city, state, etc etc. None of it works. No idea why all of a sudden Lightroom has no idea where the photo was taken.

Mar 01 19 10:24 pm Link

Photographer

poiter

Salt Lake City, Utah, US

Eye of the World wrote:
To the OP, I am curious what is the reason for wanting to rename them in that way. IOW, what are you looking to accomplish that renaming would help you with?

When I travel overseas, I tend to prefer to rent a car in the destination country and drive from city to city, so I tend to see a lot of different random things along the way. It can be hard work after a couple of weeks of travel to remember what all the random things I saw and took photos of. And if I don't label them soon enough, my memory will start to fade as time passes. Big city things are easy enough to remember, a lot of small towns all kind of look alike and I find it hard to remember where I was. This is why I want to rename the files to the location. It helps me remember the locations of the photos quicker. Right now I just look at the map in Lightroom and rename manually, but it would be super nice to automate this.

Mar 01 19 10:29 pm Link

Photographer

phpcat

Corcoran, California, US

poiter wrote:
Thanks this in theory is SUPER helpful. Though I can't get it to work. I was testing with photos shot in RAW with iPhone X. Then I synced it from my phone to Lightroom Classic CC via Adobe's sync. If I press on the Map tab and then click on the photos, I can see that Lightroom CC does indeed know where I took the photo, because it can read the GPS details from the metadata. Also the map clearly shows exactly where I was when I took the photo.

So I go to the Library tab and press F2 to bring up the rename function, I go into edit from the dropdown menu, and I insert country, city, state, etc etc. None of it works. No idea why all of a sudden Lightroom has no idea where the photo was taken.

I used some jpg images from my iphone, which unlike my cameras does have GPS, and made a LR catalog.  I went to map view and just like you, saw that Lightroom Classic CC knows where the images were made and saw that the city, state and country names were in there.  While I was able to batch rename files automagically, no matter what I did I could not get the city, state, or country to show up, it just showed the sequence number I asked for and any underscores I tried to add to separate these items.  I tried synchronizing the metadata, I see Lightroom Classic CC knows where the photo was made, it just can't get this data to the filename.  When I chose another parameter, however, like "Flash", suddenly I am getting files called "Did not fire001.JPG", "Did not fire002.JPG", "Did not fire003.JPG", etc.  I was even able to get my actual GPS coordinates to show up in the filename, even the degree symbol was in there.

I am sorry that I did not try this before suggesting it, but did not think of using my iPhone until you mentioned it.  Could it be the answer to your original question, then, is "no way"?  I am using Lightroom Classic CC 8.2 on Windoze, are you?  I wonder if the Apple users are able to make this work.

Mar 02 19 01:51 am Link

Photographer

poiter

Salt Lake City, Utah, US

phpcat wrote:
I used some jpg images from my iphone, which unlike my cameras does have GPS, and made a LR catalog.  I went to map view and just like you, saw that Lightroom Classic CC knows where the images were made and saw that the city, state and country names were in there.  While I was able to batch rename files automagically, no matter what I did I could not get the city, state, or country to show up, it just showed the sequence number I asked for and any underscores I tried to add to separate these items.  I tried synchronizing the metadata, I see Lightroom Classic CC knows where the photo was made, it just can't get this data to the filename.  When I chose another parameter, however, like "Flash", suddenly I am getting files called "Did not fire001.JPG", "Did not fire002.JPG", "Did not fire003.JPG", etc.  I was even able to get my actual GPS coordinates to show up in the filename, even the degree symbol was in there.

I am sorry that I did not try this before suggesting it, but did not think of using my iPhone until you mentioned it.  Could it be the answer to your original question, then, is "no way"?  I am using Lightroom Classic CC 8.2 on Windoze, are you?  I wonder if the Apple users are able to make this work.

I'm also using Lightroom Classic CC 8.2, though I'm on OS X. So it seems it doesn't work on Mac or PC sad
Thanks for helping me troubleshoot.

Mar 02 19 07:19 am Link

Photographer

Eye of the World

Corvallis, Oregon, US

I believe this free program might do what the OP needs. Note that any renaming would need to be done BEFORE the files are imported into Lightroom.

https://www.advancedrenamer.com/user_guide/tags

Mar 02 19 12:33 pm Link

Photographer

poiter

Salt Lake City, Utah, US

Eye of the World wrote:
I believe this free program might do what the OP needs. Note that any renaming would need to be done BEFORE the files are imported into Lightroom.

https://www.advancedrenamer.com/user_guide/tags

Thanks so much for finding this for me. I also saw this earlier today when I did a Google search. I don't have a PC. I only use a mac. As far as I can tell, that program is only for Windows. I did a subsequent search for a Mac software on Google, but couldn't find any. So I think I'll just keep doing this manually by hand. Takes a little more time, but that's okay, I'll just watch TV while I do it smile

Thanks again everyone!!!!

Mar 02 19 01:20 pm Link