Photographer

Sharp Shooter Photo

Indianapolis, Indiana, US

Hello everyone.

I am really hoping someone here will be able to help me. I am an Army medic and I would like to make a few realistic casualties.

I have gone to YouTube and looked up how to do gun shots, cuts and burns but it’s a little overwhelming with all the different ways. I was hoping someone here could point me to either themselves or someone on YouTube that really breaks things down and why they use what they use. Of course I’ll always take your 2¢ on the best way to do things.

Mar 14 19 06:10 am Link

Photographer

Abbitt Photography

Des Moines, Iowa, US

Sadly I can’t offer any advice on the best moulage or best techniques.    As someone who has gone through a number of WFR courses, and other similar courses, I’ll offer my following personal opinion however:

I don’t think that an injury looks real is really that important.  Taping a sharpie cap to a victim’s leg in a scenario will reveal if the head to toe exam was through enough to discover a broken bone.  The instructor can give the victim instructions on how to respond and can give the examiner a scenario about what they uncover.   When the examiner discovers the sharpie cap, the instructor can say for example “that’s a compound fracture with the bone sticking out about one inch.  What are you going to do now?    (Or you can then hand them a photo of a real injury.)  The fact it looks like a sharpie cap taped to a leg and not a protruding bone doesn’t really matter.  No matter how realistic a fake compound fracture looks, it’s not real and neither are the physiological reactions of the person playing victim, so they can’t truly be treated as real.   Personally, I think time is better spent running through more scenarios than in creating realistic effects. 

That said, I’m simply offering a perspective and realize you may have a good reason to want to simulate the visuals of a real accident.  I know there are many YouTube videos about how to use moulage to create such effects.  As with photography, I’m sure it takes a lot of practice to do it well.  Buy something and play with it.   If it doesn’t work perfectly, you’ll probably have a better idea of what properties you want the next time.  I should think prefabricated (probably silicone) stick on scenarios would be much easier than creating a fake injury from scratch.   

Lastly, I’d like to thank you for both your service to our country and for your dedication to helping others.  I know being a medic can be a difficult job with pay that falls far short of other medical professionals.  Whether civilian or military, I  very much appreciate the efforts of our emergency responders, and I know I’m not alone in that appreciation.

All the best with your scenario.  Let me know how it goes.

Mar 14 19 05:25 pm Link

Makeup Artist

muasunny

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I have been doing Moulage for a while and it really depends on requirements or limiting usage (such as latex).  here is a link of some of the work I've worked on.  I recommend you go through some basic classroom training or learing from someone instead of only Youtube for safety and proper usage.

https://www.facebook.com/pg/sfxmuasunny … 9310519500

https://www.facebook.com/pg/sfxmuasunny … 1352318296

https://www.facebook.com/pg/sfxmuasunny … 0485916042

May 04 19 10:12 pm Link