Forums > General Industry > So let's take a 2019 look at MM

Photographer

Green Wave Photo 312

Posts: 43

Chicago, Illinois, US

I'm on instagram and all that other stuff but I've been on MM since before that other stuff existed. I'm just perplexed at why MM isn't trying to revamp and capitalize on it's ability to effectively search and post castings for models of specific criteria in specific regions.

Instagram search is garbage. Like I need someone specific for a shoot in the next two weeks in Milwaukee (I'm in Chicago) and there isn't even close to an agency budget. But it is paid. This is really the only platform worth while to try to get talent for something like this for me. I'm just disappointed that lately it's crickets chirping around here.

Most agency models are even allowed now to take their own bookings via social media. I follow a number of instagram models with big followings in my region who aren't even on here. Like, what's up? Or should I say, wake up.

Still the same old stuff on here... people posting about escorts, angel wings and caution tape.

Let's get with it! Thoughts on how to bring more foot traffic here?

Mar 14 19 10:30 pm Link

Photographer

Green Wave Photo 312

Posts: 43

Chicago, Illinois, US

Maybe another escort thread, another who should pay who when there isn't a client thread, is the extent to the appetite around here. But judging by how engagement in the forums has plummeted since back in the day I'm guessing a lot of folks are bored with that S except people who haven't heard it all before.

When I first got on MM years ago, like 15 years ago, maybe more... it was revolutionary. I was in art school doing photography and it was like, wow, I can find models here. Not just on the street or friends or friends of friends. And people were enthusiastic to make magic. Seems crazy that I'm finding myself looking for that same thing again.

Again, I've been finding plenty of talent on other social media platforms. But what they lack is SEARCH efficiency.

Mar 14 19 11:03 pm Link

Photographer

R.EYE.R

Posts: 3408

Tokyo, Tokyo, Japan

A shovel is a great tool to dig a hole, but terrible at hammering in nails. Both are tools though.
MM allows you to filter and drill down data, Instagram allows you to appear as a jet setting playboy with constant flow of salivating followers.
Allow simpletons on MM - and open pandora's box to photos of male reproductive penises and forum flood.
Make Instagram structured - advertisers will start losing money and people will group in small communities essentially breaking the concept.

MM could give it a push, but business mindset is not creative and creative minds are terrible at making money...
"Could have, would have, should have" are some few years late - time is of essence and risque taking is necessary.

Each tool for each purpouse.

True story.

Mar 15 19 03:12 am Link

Photographer

FIFTYONE PHOTOGRAPHY

Posts: 5357

Uniontown, Pennsylvania, US

Green Wave Photo 312 wrote:
[snip]But judging by how engagement in the forums has plummeted since back in the day I'm guessing a lot of folks are bored with that S except people who haven't heard it all before.[snip]

The reason for the decline in activity in the fora is a basic one:  The Smartphone and lack of a viable App.

Mar 15 19 03:28 am Link

Artist/Painter

Hunter GWPB

Posts: 5082

King of Prussia, Pennsylvania, US

Green Wave Photo 312 wrote:
I'm on instagram and all that other stuff but I've been on MM since before that other stuff existed. I'm just perplexed at why MM isn't trying to revamp and capitalize on it's ability to effectively search and post castings for models of specific criteria in specific regions.

Instagram search is garbage. Like I need someone specific for a shoot in the next two weeks in Milwaukee (I'm in Chicago) and there isn't even close to an agency budget. But it is paid. This is really the only platform worth while to try to get talent for something like this for me. I'm just disappointed that lately it's crickets chirping around here.

Most agency models are even allowed now to take their own bookings via social media. I follow a number of instagram models with big followings in my region who aren't even on here. Like, what's up? Or should I say, wake up.

Still the same old stuff on here... people posting about escorts, angel wings and caution tape.

Let's get with it! Thoughts on how to bring more foot traffic here?

Yes, the escort threads and other repetitious subjects are ..., well, repetitious.  Yet they draw participants.  Yes, there is a definate lack of creativity in some of the photos, but the site isn't meant to be a trend setter in images.  If someone was creative enough to create an image that was truly eye popping, why would they post here, for free, for the world to steal?  We also need to recognize that many people here are learning and people learn by imitation.  Images that seem common here, maybe they aren't available elsewhere so a new person may not recognize a cliche as an old timer would.

I will also note that the theme of your thread is relatively common.  But you ask a valid question and I think the answer is that there is nothing we can do to improve the site.  It isn't up to us.  We can offer suggestions, and they have made changes based on surveys, which is how we ended up with the current basic membership being unable to send messages except to friends.

The site is what it is.  Use it to the best of your ability along with the other options.

Mar 15 19 04:22 am Link

Photographer

Abbitt Photography

Posts: 13407

Des Moines, Iowa, US

I think there are many reasons internet modeling is declining ranging from the acceptance and ease of selfies to the structure of online modeling sites.

The problem I've seen with all the online sites such as MM is that none of them work on the incentives that a modeling agency does.  MM/IB doesn't care whether or not bookings happen, in fact it's a liability to them.  MM is basically a glorified chat room with a photography-model theme and by requiring most members to become friends before they are allowed to communicate, they have created a barrier to booking shoots.  I think any site that is going to function well and sustainably as a booking site, needs to have bookings built into it as a core function in the way modeling agencies do.

Mar 15 19 08:08 am Link

Photographer

Chuckarelei

Posts: 11008

Seattle, Washington, US

FIFTYONE PHOTOGRAPHY wrote:
The reason for the decline in activity in the fora is a basic one:  The Smartphone and lack of a viable App.

Just that you know that there are many apps that fail miserably. Apps is not what makes a tech oriented business grow or go, it's only pat of a small equation.

Mar 15 19 11:51 am Link

Photographer

Shadow Dancer

Posts: 8334

Bellingham, Washington, US

OP, you've placed a casting call, that is good.
Have you contacted individual models who may meet your needs?

MM 2019 is more or less MM 2014 only there are more artists registered.
There have always been artists who log in once or twice and move on.

There are some who pop in briefly every so often and then move on.

While there may be more artists overall who are available, reliable and engaged, there are also more who are not.
In that sense it has become somewhat like Instagram. The search functions are better but how do you know who is real, other than the Verified Credits, which may or may not be current?

I am not a professional so I have no time constraints on working with models. I've begun working back towards the ways I found models prior to MM, OMP, Webtalent etc. I used to work with theater, dance and other reportory troupes, often shooting dress rehearsals. Networking at the dress rehearsals would lead to engagement with a model and then one shoot would lead to another, more talent would get involved and so on. It took time to build but then I was able to shoot with people I had established as reliable and photogenic.

I realize the above is useless to your current endeavor. Best of luck!!!!

Mar 15 19 01:41 pm Link

Photographer

Art Silva

Posts: 9960

Santa Barbara, California, US

The way I see it is that MM has Not adapted to the times and how people are consuming and doing business.

IG however is on the forefront of mobile communication, and almost Everyone has a smartphone or tablet these days, and at minimum a laptop [which you can do limited functions on IG]

Every model and photographer worth their weight in gold is on and being active on IG. I think it has become the first form of contact as well as timely updating your work that is instantly pushed out to your prospects' timeline.

I almost left MM completely when I saw the shift and how MM was, well lets say I could hear the crickets chirping. BUT I decided to keep it up but not being as active as I used to.
It used to be to communicate with models we would have to carry around our laptops, now with brilliant mobile applications, all you need is a popular social media app that has space for communities like ours and all done on our phones. This is where IG has won the world with individuals as well as networking professionals.

It's great to be able to send people to my MM if they wish to vet and see all that MM has to offer on that.... otherwise yes, MM is a back burner place because of its lack of adapting to todays consumption of tech... still somewhat useful but not a major player anymore.

Mar 15 19 05:48 pm Link

Photographer

Green Wave Photo 312

Posts: 43

Chicago, Illinois, US

I found my model... on Instagram. Which reminds me of another thread I’ve been wanting to start in here, which is how photographers search via instagrams clunky single hashtag search function. I found her by searching #milwaukeefashionblogger

I did reach out to Milwaukee models on here. The big problem... literally only 4 or 5 of them active within the past few weeks. I also paid the 5 bucks to post on Craigslist and got surprising response but terrible quality control (not in the age specifications, didn’t have the right look, never modeled and didn’t get that I need to see more than one face and shoulders selfie).

I think this whole thing of having to friend before you communicate is a real henderence. I understand that protocol was essentially done at model requests because of unwanted pms. I don’t understand why you can’t just ignore unwanted pms. Just makes the system that much clunkier.

I think it would be interesting if MM had an image feed much like Instagram. Maybe the latest, or the greatest, or by some catergory search. I know that’s probably too much to revamp and maybe just too similar to Instagram. It would probably get me to check in via mobile just to scroll through and see what people are creating from time to time. Maybe you could search by region/ genre, etc...

All in all, I’ll keep MM. Still a useful tool. Just clunky as all hell and disappointing engagement these days.

Mar 17 19 12:35 am Link

Photographer

Shadow Dancer

Posts: 8334

Bellingham, Washington, US

Green Wave Photo 312 wrote:
I think this whole thing of having to friend before you communicate is a real henderence. I understand that protocol was essentially done at model requests because of unwanted pms. I don’t understand why you can’t just ignore unwanted pms. Just makes the system that much clunkier.

I think this change to a useful feature is more of a feeble attempt at monetizing a stagnant resource.
As a "Legacy" member, I am able to message anybody at any time. I do have a restriction on the number of daily messages.
As a paying VIP member you can message freely without friending somebody also.

There are no restrictions in terms of sharing other contact information. You could create a gmail account that is only for MM and share it with models when you contact them, also a phone number for text. I believe they are able to respond anway?
Certainly you could simply send a friend request and a message so all they have to do is accept your request.

I do agree it's not as handy as it was long ago. It is also not as active as it was long ago. Much has changed.
The search functions are miles ahead of Instagram in practical terms, so here we are.

Cheers,
Michael

Mar 17 19 09:13 am Link

Photographer

TouchofEleganceStudios

Posts: 5453

Upland, California, US

I joined Model Mayhem in 2006 after 4 years with One Model Place. First One Model Place became a rarity to even check out. Then Model Mayhem started loosing people. I have personally done shoots with over 1000 models to date. A number of models I met through Group Organizers. Many of them you rarely see on Model Mayhem anymore. A number of them have left Model Mayhem. There are plenty of positive as well as negative reasons for Group shoots. My main reason for occasionally checking them out is meeting new models or seeing how models have improved or not.

There are a number of changes that I would love to see with Model Mayhem

1. "Experienced" this is uh become ridiculous. Experienced should mean that a model actually knows how to pose like a model. She/He should be experienced with expressions, looks and even by this time do her own make up and hair. Your portfolio should have also awesome pics.

2. If you are going to have an Insta Gram or Facebook page added to your portfolio have it about your modeling pics. I am not interested in your dog, your cat, goofy pics of your friends. You expect me to believe that you are professional, act like it.

3. I think that it is that time again when Model Mayhem asks its members what changes that they would like to see.

Oops, gotta go. Get back to this later. hoping for some great positive ideas.

Mar 17 19 11:08 am Link

Photographer

Darren Brade

Posts: 3350

London, England, United Kingdom

The blame lies squarely with the owners who have sat on the website for years and is not likely to change.

I visit the site is spurts (I'm currently in one now) when I'm bored. But to be honest, for all it's faults, social media beats MM hands down for finding models, it has for years.

Expecting to resurrect the dinosaur is a fools' game!

Mar 17 19 12:59 pm Link

Photographer

goofus

Posts: 676

Santa Barbara, California, US

I do not come here for the forums (although I read them and like them)

I do not come here to view photos

I come here for one purpose - to find models

the forums and the contests are just niceties

I have other groups and forums to post in/read when I want to..I can go to flickr or 500px or devient art if I wanna look at pix...I used to post on IG, but I gave that up last year..IG is a silly place

MM should have an app - for the very reason that most models and a lot of photographers do not have computers - they have cell phones.. they use cell phones.. they are looking at their cell phones..like 24/7.. might as well make an optimized app for them..

what would it be like? beats me..I don't have a smart phone..

Mar 18 19 09:52 am Link

Photographer

SayCheeZ!

Posts: 19878

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

goofus  wrote:
MM should have an app - for the very reason that most models and a lot of photographers do not have computers - they have cell phones.. they use cell phones.. they are looking at their cell phones..like 24/7.. might as well make an optimized app for them..

what would it be like? beats me..I don't have a smart phone..

The problem is, as MM stated awhile back... because of the nudity and adult related content on MM, Apple would never permit an MM app in their itunes store.

Mar 18 19 10:46 am Link

Photographer

Rays Fine Art

Posts: 7457

New York, New York, US

SayCheeZ!  wrote:
The problem is, as MM stated awhile back... because of the nudity and adult related content on MM, Apple would never permit an MM app in their itunes store.

Ditto to both
And  while I, too would never use it, for that would it would be nice that it be there for those that would.

I still think that the shutting down of America's Next Top Model was the kiss of death to Model Mayhem and all sites like it---Whatever might be the faults of the young (mostly) ladies who watched the show religiously and were inspired by it to "set the fashion world on its ear" (at 5'2"), they did provide us with a lot of raw material to work with.  I see nothing out there to inspire today's crop of hopefuls.

All FWIW as always, of course.

Mar 18 19 11:00 am Link

Photographer

Garry k

Posts: 29536

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

MM is about 6 years behind the times

Kind of like some of those models they promote - that claim to be 6 years younger than they really are

Mar 18 19 11:58 am Link

Photographer

Chuckarelei

Posts: 11008

Seattle, Washington, US

goofus  wrote:
MM should have an app - for the very reason that most models and a lot of photographers do not have computers - they have cell phones.. they use cell phones.. they are looking at their cell phones..like 24/7.. might as well make an optimized app for them..

what would it be like? beats me..I don't have a smart phone..

SayCheeZ!  wrote:
The problem is, as MM stated awhile back... because of the nudity and adult related content on MM, Apple would never permit an MM app in their itunes store.

Money talks! If MM offers Apple tons and tons of money, moral standard in these tech companies can be buried under a pile of cash.

Not just moral standard, ethics and whatever integrity means nothing when it comes to money.

Mar 18 19 12:37 pm Link

Photographer

goofus

Posts: 676

Santa Barbara, California, US

Rays Fine Art wrote:

Ditto to both
And  while I, too would never use it, for that would it would be nice that it be there for those that would.

I still think that the shutting down of America's Next Top Model was the kiss of death to Model Mayhem and all sites like it---Whatever might be the faults of the young (mostly) ladies who watched the show religiously and were inspired by it to "set the fashion world on its ear" (at 5'2"), they did provide us with a lot of raw material to work with.  I see nothing out there to inspire today's crop of hopefuls.

All FWIW as always, of course.

so there are no apps in the apple store for places that might host nudity? what about tumbler? I guess they recently stopped with the nakkies - but before that..they were full bore... and iPhones cannot get apps from anywhere else BUT the app store?? that seems kinda..IDK monopolistic..no?  is there a possiblity of making a browswer select version more suitable to smartphone usage?

Mar 18 19 12:51 pm Link

Photographer

Philip Brown

Posts: 552

Long Beach, California, US

Abbitt Photography wrote:
MM is basically a glorified chat room with a photography-model theme and by requiring most members to become friends before they are allowed to communicate, they have created a barrier to booking shoots. .

This is only partially true, re: having to become friends first.

IF a photographer posts a casting, any model can reply to it, for FREE, without being friends.
They dont make this clear enough, but it's true.

in the defense of MM, they somewhat reasonably want to ensure that they are making SOME money out of bookings.

Mar 18 19 03:13 pm Link

Photographer

Philip Brown

Posts: 552

Long Beach, California, US

Green Wave Photo 312 wrote:
I'm on instagram and all that other stuff but I've been on MM since before that other stuff existed. I'm just perplexed at why MM isn't trying to revamp and capitalize on it's ability to effectively search and post castings for models of specific criteria in specific regions.

Instagram search is garbage. Like I need someone specific for a shoot in the next two weeks in Milwaukee (I'm in Chicago) and there isn't even close to an agency budget. But it is paid. This is really the only platform worth while to try to get talent for something like this for me. I'm just disappointed that lately it's crickets chirping around here.

yeah, I'm surprised that,

1. there hasnt been more competition in that area, and
2. MM doesnt get used more, since that lack of competition.

HOWEVER, the landscape has changed a bit in the last few months.

I suddenly started getting flooded in my browser with ads for a certain new app, for hiring models.
I think there's a rule against posting links to competition in the forums here, so I figure I cant link or even name.
But I think its important to generally describe it, for purposes of discussion.

Similar to here, you can create casting notices, choosing a location and male/female model.
There is a hidden minimum booking fee of $100, even though some models book for lower than that per hour.

Within 24 hours of posting a casting, I had 30 models applying for it. (For the Los Angeles area)
I also had a similar number of responses from a casting I posed here.
The difference from castings I've done here, is that ALL of them from the other place were top notch looking talent. All of them were 8, 9, or 10s.
Mostly 9s, lots of 10s.

So, as far as casting for models in the LA area, I think MM needs to seriously step up their game now.

Mar 18 19 03:29 pm Link

Photographer

SayCheeZ!

Posts: 19878

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

goofus  wrote:
so there are no apps in the apple store for places that might host nudity? what about tumbler? I guess they recently stopped with the nakkies - but before that..they were full bore... and iPhones cannot get apps from anywhere else BUT the app store?? that seems kinda..IDK monopolistic..no?  i

There are alternatives to Apple app stores, I don't remember all of the names but Cydia was the most popular one when I had iphones many moons ago.  Obvlously the apps aren't approved by Apple therefore users run a risk of turning their phone into a brick and Apple won't be able to help,

I never had a major problem using any of the 'non authorized apps', but I know people that did.
Not many people know about the Apple alternatives.

Mar 18 19 04:20 pm Link

Photographer

Camera Buff

Posts: 230

Maryborough, Queensland, Australia

Hunter  GWPB wrote:
If someone was creative enough to create an image that was truly eye popping, why would they post here, for free, for the world to steal?

IMO there are an infinite number of members who have created and posted truly eye popping images on Model Mayhem, for free, for the world to see (not steal).

Not so long ago the only free way for most of us to show our pictures was to load them into a photo album, a slide projector, or a portfolio book.

When we wanted to see, hear, or learn about what other creatives around the world were doing, we had to purchase expensive magazines and/or books. Many of which were heavily censored in my part of the world.

To me, Model Mayhem is a truly amazing place. It's like what Forrest Gump's Mom used to say about life, only instead of life, I would say "Model Mayhem is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're going to get."

I'm fine with those creatives who choose not to show their best work out fear that it is going to be stolen, even though there are enforceable laws (in some parts of the world) designed to protect their property.  I've heard stories about photographers who don't show or share their best photographs with their models for that very reason.

As you say "The site is what it is.  Use it to the best of your ability along with the other options."

Mar 18 19 05:44 pm Link

Photographer

SayCheeZ!

Posts: 19878

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Camera Buff wrote:
I'm fine with those creatives who choose not to show their best work out fear that it is going to be stolen..."

More likely than not it's usually just an excuse as to why they have a lackluster portfolio.
(Don't bag on me, that may or may not be my opinion,,, but I know it's the opinion of many others)

Mar 18 19 06:36 pm Link

Photographer

Rays Fine Art

Posts: 7457

New York, New York, US

Camera Buff wrote:

IMO there are an infinite number of members who have created and posted truly eye popping images on Model Mayhem, for free, for the world to see (not steal).

Not so long ago the only free way for most of us to show our pictures was to load them into a photo album, a slide projector, or a portfolio book.

When we wanted to see, hear, or learn about what other creatives around the world were doing, we had to purchase expensive magazines and/or books. Many of which were heavily censored in my part of the world.

To me, Model Mayhem is a truly amazing place. It's like what Forrest Gump's Mom used to say about life, only instead of life, I would say "Model Mayhem is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're going to get."

I'm fine with those creatives who choose not to show their best work out fear that it is going to be stolen (even though there are enforceable laws (in some parts of the world) designed to protect their property).  I've heard stories about photographers who don't show or share their best photographs with their models for that very reason.

As you say "The site is what it is.  Use it to the best of your ability along with the other options."

Then, too, what is "eye popping" for some is "eye-pooping" for others.  (Sorry, I just had to say it.)

Mar 18 19 06:50 pm Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Posts: 32956

Dearborn, Michigan, US

SayCheeZ!  wrote:

More likely than not it's usually just an excuse as to why they have a lackluster portfolio.
(Don't bag on me, that may or may not be my opinion,,, but I know it's the opinion of many others)

You can say this but I don't care.  I still won't post my best images.

Mar 18 19 08:46 pm Link

Artist/Painter

Hunter GWPB

Posts: 5082

King of Prussia, Pennsylvania, US

Camera Buff wrote:

IMO there are an infinite number of members who have created and posted truly eye popping images on Model Mayhem, for free, for the world to see (not steal).

Not so long ago the only free way for most of us to show our pictures was to load them into a photo album, a slide projector, or a portfolio book.

When we wanted to see, hear, or learn about what other creatives around the world were doing, we had to purchase expensive magazines and/or books. Many of which were heavily censored in my part of the world.

To me, Model Mayhem is a truly amazing place. It's like what Forrest Gump's Mom used to say about life, only instead of life, I would say "Model Mayhem is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're going to get."

I'm fine with those creatives who choose not to show their best work out fear that it is going to be stolen (even though there are enforceable laws (in some parts of the world) designed to protect their property).  I've heard stories about photographers who don't show or share their best photographs with their models for that very reason.

As you say "The site is what it is.  Use it to the best of your ability along with the other options."

You make valid points.  I am going to agree with Ray- or at least what I think he was trying to say:  What some of us consider eye popping, some of us do not.  I would agree that there is some really good work on MM.  Professional looks, creative, artistic, and a wide range of positive attributes.  Then there is stuff that is done to death, not very professional, lacking artistic ability and rather pedestrian stuff.  They may still be good photographs, but not all that original.

I realize not everyone here is a pro.  It is often said that very few here are pros.  In which case, this may be the best place for someone to show their work to their peers.  Post in the contest or in their portfolios and maybe they will get some views and comments.  Unless you can bring people into your portfolio somehow, like through forum participation or the contest, or one of the other functions of the site, many profiles don't generate that much activity.  There are so may profiles and so many places to display photos, is it efficient to post photos on line as a stand alone marketing tool?  I think if I was actively trying to sell my work, I would be entering art shows and walking into galleries with one of these albums you mentioned. 

For those that are pros, who have the experience and contacts to market an image, then I can't see them posting them here and risking destroying the market value. 

As far as the realistic possibility of them getting poached from here- the more visible the image is and the more it meets the criteria of the poacher, the more likely it will be poached.  Yes, there are some time consuming things you can do to protect the image, but finding a stolen image is a chore in itself and maybe more a matter of luck. 

There have been members who have started threads after finding one or more of their images on line somewhere.  One of these, a photographer found where an artist had painted one of his photos and was selling prints.  A model from Australia posted a similar experience.  There have been stories where a photographer tells a model about a project or a location, she bags the project, and then the photographer finds his idea, with that model, shot by another guy.  Does it happen often?  Who knows.  Since painting is not my primary source of income, and I may only do a few paintings a year, I keep my concepts to myself because I know that other people here, and other places, have the ability to execute my ideas faster than I can.  If they execute my idea, I have no recourse.  Copyrights do not protect my concepts, just my expression of them.

SayCheeze is also correct.  But, when someone is drawing a conclusion about the reasons that someone has a lackluster portfolio, they are going to be subjective according to their own biases regarding the reason for the lackluster work.  Personally, I no longer find it imperative to display my best work.  I don't hire enough models each year that I need to be searching hard.  I have favorites to work with and if I want to work with someone new, I can send her/him what they they need to see to entice them.  Most of my paintings are about everyday life.  I don't need or want a pose that would make my subject look like a model.  I have four pedestrian photos in my profile on purpose.  All of very good models.  For the time being, that suits my needs.  But if someone wants to think that my portfolio is what it is because I can't do any better, I really don't have time to care about that.

Mar 18 19 09:03 pm Link

Clothing Designer

veypurr

Posts: 260

Albuquerque, New Mexico, US

Green Wave Photo 312 wrote:
Maybe another escort thread, another who should pay who when there isn't a client thread, is the extent to the appetite around here. But judging by how engagement in the forums has plummeted since back in the day I'm guessing a lot of folks are bored with that S except people who haven't heard it all before.

When I first got on MM years ago, like 15 years ago, maybe more... it was revolutionary. I was in art school doing photography and it was like, wow, I can find models here. Not just on the street or friends or friends of friends. And people were enthusiastic to make magic. Seems crazy that I'm finding myself looking for that same thing again.

Again, I've been finding plenty of talent on other social media platforms. But what they lack is SEARCH efficiency.

You forgot about the ever popular " model flaked what do I do" thread. The thread where 90% of the replies are "move on". Somehow the original poster couldn't figure this out on their own and needed to start another thread about it.

Mar 28 19 03:09 am Link

Photographer

Wandering Eyebubble

Posts: 258

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Green Wave Photo 312 wrote:
Instagram search is garbage. Like I need someone specific for a shoot in the next two weeks in Milwaukee (I'm in Chicago) and there isn't even close to an agency budget. But it is paid. This is really the only platform worth while to try to get talent for something like this for me. I'm just disappointed that lately it's crickets chirping around here.
[snip]
Let's get with it! Thoughts on how to bring more foot traffic here?

It varies a lot by location, I don't think you'd have any problems finding the model you're seeking for a paying gig at a major urban centre (the fact it's Milwaukee may be the biggest issue, regardless of whether you're using MM, IG, or whatever, I'm sure you'd have no problem casting this via MM in Chicago).

While MM could be better, putting the work into it can really make it worthwhile. It depends on what you shoot, but in Toronto I can steadily TF about 3 shoots a month on average using only MM (I have no other social media).

Mar 28 19 08:51 am Link

Photographer

Green Wave Photo 312

Posts: 43

Chicago, Illinois, US

Wandering Eyebubble wrote:
It varies a lot by location, I don't think you'd have any problems finding the model you're seeking for a paying gig at a major urban centre (the fact it's Milwaukee may be the biggest issue, regardless of whether you're using MM, IG, or whatever, I'm sure you'd have no problem casting this via MM in Chicago).

While MM could be better, putting the work into it can really make it worthwhile. It depends on what you shoot, but in Toronto I can steadily TF about 3 shoots a month on average using only MM (I have no other social media).

You can tf 3 shoots a month via MM because you have no criteria besides "appeals to me". The difficulty comes with specificity. Clients ask for specific demographics. Super tough to search that out on insta.

Mar 28 19 09:39 pm Link

Photographer

Wandering Eyebubble

Posts: 258

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Green Wave Photo 312 wrote:
You can tf 3 shoots a month via MM because you have no criteria besides "appeals to me". The difficulty comes with specificity. Clients ask for specific demographics. Super tough to search that out on insta.

"Specificity" requires a budget which you don't seem to have, and you're blaming MM/IG for that? Ask your client to pay for an agency model who suits their needs, or just don't take the job.

Mar 28 19 09:56 pm Link

Photographer

John Silva Photography

Posts: 222

Fairfield, California, US

Green Wave Photo 312 wrote:
I don’t understand why you can’t just ignore unwanted pms.

Maybe cause you're not a 19 year old hot little model getting 100 requests per day to sleep with someone, 24/7/365???

Mar 28 19 10:51 pm Link

Photographer

ShotbyRon

Posts: 783

Mesa, Arizona, US

Instagram and Facebook offer all the tools you would find on MM. Plus it allows people not in your network to view your work and book with you. I want to have an album with 500 pictures. Done. I want to DM someone. Done. I want to hashtag a photo and try to reach a certain type of person. Done. MM is very basic. And unlike FB and IG. If you want the features that are actually useful, you have to pay for them.

Apr 05 19 06:14 am Link

Model

Jen B

Posts: 4365

Phoenix, Arizona, US

The site kept brigging everyone who had any thoughts that certain individuals found offensive.

Its what it seems like to me, (a late comer.)

Apr 05 19 09:16 am Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Posts: 32956

Dearborn, Michigan, US

This site used to be exciting!  Now it's Blah!!

Apr 05 19 09:40 am Link

Photographer

Darren Brade

Posts: 3350

London, England, United Kingdom

Jen B wrote:
The site kept brigging everyone who had any thoughts that certain individuals found offensive.

Its what it seems like to me, (a late comer.)

They seem to have gone to the opposite extreme now with people able freely throw mud at each other. It seems you can also use the forus to post castings too and they dont get locked like before.

Apr 10 19 03:25 pm Link

Photographer

Mark Salo

Posts: 10545

Olney, Maryland, US

Jen B wrote:
The site kept brigging everyone who had any thoughts that certain individuals found offensive.
Its what it seems like to me, (a late comer.)

Darren Brade wrote:
They seem to have gone to the opposite extreme now with people able freely throw mud at each other...

Briggings are not being reported any more so we have no idea.

Apr 10 19 03:52 pm Link

Model

Jen B

Posts: 4365

Phoenix, Arizona, US

FIFTYONE PHOTOGRAPHY wrote:

The reason for the decline in activity in the fora is a basic one:  The Smartphone and lack of a viable App.

I thought it was the moderation, {and sway of divisiveness of antagonistic models actually which caused such moderation.)

At least that was how I perceived it the last few years with models claiming any photographer who was a male and shared his opinion on here was trying to "mansplain" and dominate. I really felt that was key, (along with the white knight moderators who have to cover their proverbial butts.)

Jen

Apr 10 19 09:29 pm Link

Model

Jen B

Posts: 4365

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Mark Salo wrote:
Briggings are not being reported any more so we have no idea.

Oh that is right, and I think they warned us that you get one brig and then banished or something.

Jeepers, that really made the place go quiet. Heck, most people aren't posting because they got banished. I think they also threatened that discussing it was a no no. I guess I shall not discuss it any more!!!

Jen

Darren Brade wrote:
They seem to have gone to the opposite extreme now with people able freely throw mud at each other. It seems you can also use the forus to post castings too and they dont get locked like before.

Oh my gosh!! Maybe they realized how absurd they were for killing the community! I shall freely engage with other MM members here then, Relief!!!

Apr 10 19 09:31 pm Link

Artist/Painter

Hunter GWPB

Posts: 5082

King of Prussia, Pennsylvania, US

Jen B wrote:
Oh my gosh!! Maybe they realized how absurd they were for killing the community! I shall freely engage with other MM members here then, Relief!!!

They tell us that it is rare for people to get chucked into the brig now. Occasionally, there is a post that is a no brainer rule violation and a guy takes a vacation.  As before, it seems that each subsequent infraction brings a longer sentence.  It is hard to say what we have to do to get banished, but I can't point to anyone who has been making rule violating posts that has disappeared forever, recently.  We still can't make personal attacks, but we can throw mud as long as it it is within the rules: attacking the comments and not the person.  Some people seem to react to any disagreement of fact or opinion as a personal affront.  But there isn't much mud slinging because there isn't much discussion about anything. 

A few people post theories and accusations for the lack of participation to be the result of the caustic behavior of some of us that remain; the start of the female model only forum; mansplaining; the general depravity of the site and photographers in general for having the audacity to post nudes.  It is a head scratching situation when someone constantly trashes the site, but actively participates.  We can see that there are many people that no longer post.   Some are here, but quiet, and some have left the site by choice or ostracizing.  From a spectator's seat it is hard to tell what the reason was.  I have had conversations with current and former mods in private and found them to be reasonable and not vindictive, but, I suppose, since they are human, some button pushers may have different results.

So many topics are out of bounds now, there isn't much to discuss.  Those topics that consistently come up, many people are unwilling to participate in, out of boredom or redundancy. 

I find that the site still has a lot of good people on it.  People that are willing to help others.  I do not think the lack of forum participation is indicative of the viability of the site.  The forums aren't what they used to be, and that is not always a negative.

Apr 11 19 04:59 am Link