Forums > General Industry > So let's take a 2019 look at MM

Hair Stylist

rick lesser

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US

I use to be on this site daily. It was a great place to express who we were as artists, and talent. Everyone always willing to help get into the business, grow with the business, answer questions about the business, mentor and share. We knew who each other was even though we really hadn't met them. I truly felt the professionalism and the standard we stuck to. When I was lacking  funds to update my website I would send people to my mm site. Most had never heard of MM unless you were connected to this industry.  Of course IG came along and now all you hear is what's your IG page? My updated site seems passe. I've had really great paying gigs on this site, interesting collaborations with amazing talent for just because we can and should. TFP that elevated everyone and gave you amazing images and I have met some great individuals and we became good friends through this site.  Then came tons of I don't have any money to pay you but if you do this job for me for free I have plenty of paying work coming up. Sorry but I'm old enough to remember "I'll gladly pay you tomorrow for a hamburger today" a lot of the work that came through I was like no thank you I don't need to be on the beach catching sunrise for natural makeup and wet hair bathing suit shots.  I don't need yet another one of those in my book. Yes I'm sure. Nothing here has paid in years if it does it's fifty bucks for 10 hours  of work five or six models and they think they're offering you an amazing bounty. And I'm sorry but the photographer has nothing to show me that would even make me want to work with them. Everybody that I know has moved on. I'm not saying if you called me and offered me something amazing I wouldn't talk to you and collaborate with you and most probably do it because it was fun and exciting and different but those calls haven't come through in years. The questions on the fourms are the same over and over. Is this a scam? If it looks walks and sounds like a duck it's a duck.  Yes it's a scam. Should I really hire a makeup artist? Do you even know what a hairdresser is?  People are shocked when I tell them  I'm a hairdresser that does makeup oh my God really? The best, what's your IG link so we can follow each other.  Looking at the picture contests and voting the quality of submissions just isn't there like it used to be. MM still hold a very dear place  in my heart but it's not necessarily the first place I think to come any more.

Apr 14 19 08:31 pm Link

Photographer

SayCheeZ!

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

rick lesser wrote:
Nothing here has paid in years if it does it's fifty bucks for 10 hours  of work five or six models and they think they're offering you an amazing bounty...

In other words you'd rather work on 6 clients in a normal salon setting for competitive wages than get almost nothing but a tiny bit of exposure in a fake 'magazine' that nobody ever looks at (except the guy that made the website).

Good for you, and I TOTALLY agree!

Apr 14 19 10:33 pm Link

Hair Stylist

rick lesser

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US

SayCheeZ!  wrote:

In other words you'd rather work on 6 clients in a normal salon setting for competitive wages than get almost nothing but a tiny bit of exposure in a fake 'magazine' that nobody ever looks at (except the guy that made the website).

Good for you, and I TOTALLY agree!

What's even better is the fact that since I work for myself all the money I bring in belongs to me!

Apr 15 19 08:29 pm Link

Photographer

barepixels

San Diego, California, US

ShotbyRon wrote:
Instagram and Facebook offer all the tools you would find on MM. Plus it allows people not in your network to view your work and book with you. I want to have an album with 500 pictures. Done. I want to DM someone. Done. I want to hashtag a photo and try to reach a certain type of person. Done. MM is very basic. And unlike FB and IG. If you want the features that are actually useful, you have to pay for them.

Can I search for nude models within 50 miles from my zipcode with Instagram or Facebook?  NOPE
Can I share uncensored nude arts?  NOPE
MM is actually useful

Apr 16 19 05:22 am Link

Photographer

Angel House Portraits

Orlando, Florida, US

If I look at the state of MM in 2019. It is still the premiere site for finding models. I looked at other internet modeling sites and  they have a fraction if at all. Of course the forums are not that active but the bread and butter is searching for models to work with. Its a healthy number. At least in my areas.

Apr 16 19 07:10 pm Link

Photographer

Chuckarelei

Seattle, Washington, US

Angel House Portraits wrote:
If I look at the state of MM in 2019. It is still the premiere site for finding models. I looked at other internet modeling sites and  they have a fraction if at all. Of course the forums are not that active but the bread and butter is searching for models to work with. Its a healthy number. At least in my areas.

What other models site? Like OMP? Are they still in business?  smile

Apr 16 19 07:40 pm Link

Photographer

Angel House Portraits

Orlando, Florida, US

Chuckarelei wrote:

What other models site? Like OMP? Are they still in business?  smile

OMP is still up but no models to look for. There is purple port which is worse. Like I said I join a local group and got to meet a nice model to work with. That and mm in the mix keeps me busy in the mean time. I never tried model agency. I see this one guy in youtube who has the best looking models around and puts out a video once a week with some new model. Looks like his located in Europe somewhere. I wanted to ask him where he finds so many.

Apr 17 19 03:28 am Link

Photographer

JerryClark Photographer

Topeka, Kansas, US

I think that the best way ahead for Model Mayhem is for people to start treating it as a business website and quit thinking of it as social media.  Model Mayhem should be a serious place where models, photographers and other creatives of all experience levels can connect to set up photography shoots and other creative events where all parties benefit from taking part.  There should be tutorials on Model Mayhem that explain to persons that are thinking of getting into modeling that they cannot expect to be making $100.00 per hour when they are just starting out and do not have any experience.  Also it should be explained in the tutorials that serious models check their Model Mayhem messages at least once every other week and that they respond to offers of shoots even if their message is just two words "not interested".  Photographers who approach Model Mayhem as a business website are not going to be offended by such a response.  Model Mayhem should be a place where if a model, in their profile, places limits on the type of photography they will pose for those limits will be respected by the photographers that contact them through Model Mayhem.  Everyone who uses Model Mayhem should measure their success on this site by how successful they are in making the connections that lead to real creative events and not by how many people mark that they like what a member posted.

Apr 27 19 01:10 pm Link

Photographer

Philip Brown

Long Beach, California, US

Angel House Portraits wrote:
If I look at the state of MM in 2019. It is still the premiere site for finding models..

but, how do people get things done these days?
via "sites"? or via "apps".

go to (your favourite app store)
search for "find models".

you will probably get some hits on some apps.
they work well, and have quality models available.
model mayhem is not even listed in the app space.

Apr 29 19 04:02 pm Link

Photographer

Mark C Smith

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

This type of site for creatives is an absolute dinosaur. Awful mobile site, no engagement, no design, no integration. There’s way too many clicks to get to a single photo whereas Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, even Snapchat gives you the content immediately as you scroll a timeline of people that you’ve curated yourself. It’s just a clunky old relic, I can’t see how they’d update MM to compete or even be a bit more useful. It’d be more along the lines of razing and starting something new.

May 11 19 01:29 pm Link