Forums > Model Colloquy > TFP-I modeled but didn't get any pics from shoot

Model

orbea773

Chicago, Illinois, US

TFP-I modeled but didn't get any pics from shoot.  It was a casting call on here.  We shot for 2 hours and at end of shoot the photographer wanted me to sign a release so my images could be used for advertising.  I thought it was for art purposes and said I would be ok with that but not for advertising.  Any suggestions?

Mar 20 19 09:06 am Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

orbea773 wrote:
TFP-I modeled but didn't get any pics from shoot.  It was a casting call on here.  We shot for 2 hours and at end of shoot the photographer wanted me to sign a release so my images could be used for advertising.  I thought it was for art purposes and said I would be ok with that but not for advertising.  Any suggestions?

You should have added the phrase "not for advertising" to the release.

Mar 20 19 10:31 am Link

Photographer

Abbitt Photography

Washington, Utah, US

orbea773 wrote:

Suggestions: 

If you are not okay with generic, all inclusive release, which is fairly common, ask to see a copy of the release before you agree to the shoot.  If you are not happy with the terms of a release, then don't do the shoot.  Realize, however, that many photographers are not going to edit their release for you, so if you are not happy with standard releases, this will limit your options.

When shooting TF, always get a time frame commitment for delivery of images.  Open ended promises tend to be  - well, open ended.....

There will sadly always be some photographers who don't keep their word or misrepresent their intention, but I think you can minimize the impact this has on you by getting shoot terms in writing ahead of time.

All the best with future shoots.

Mar 20 19 10:40 am Link

Photographer

Camera Buff

Maryborough, Queensland, Australia

orbea773 wrote:

It’s not what you thought that matters … you've allowed yourself to get into a predicament which could have been avoided with a little thought. Next time, before you sign up for a shoot, ask to see a copy of the photographer's release. 

Contracts need not be complicated. Even a series of emails outlining expectations and responsibilities is way better than not addressing potential problems at all.

The photographer needs you to sign a release to be able to use the pictures. If you have signed this photographer's release, simple, just go to the clearly written contract you have with the photographer and comply with those provisions.

If the contract states that in return for your time/services you will be compensated with prints, then the photographer must compensate you accordingly, otherwise the photographer is in breach of that provision of the contract.

Mar 21 19 02:40 am Link

Photographer

Tony Lawrence

Chicago, Illinois, US

While Illinois has provisions that don't allow photographers to use a person's image for advertising, lets be candid do most here feel that's how the OP photos would be used.   Lets also understand that when a photographer doesn't give a model their photos its usually because the work wasn't very good or usable.   Nothing wrong with writing things down and emails can also work but none of that would prevent a photographer from not giving promised photos.   I want to also emphasize that sometimes shoots simply don't work.   I've shot models where I didn't get anything decent.   I still provided the models photos though.

My suggestion is to reach out to the photographer and ask what happened.   Was this sessions days, weeks or months ago.   If weeks then chill.   Months then ask.   Be polite and understanding.   Ask if the shots were okay and if he/she plans to send any at all.   No threats.   Don't get angry or say you'll hear from a lawyer.   If they don't respond, move on.   Is it likely your photos will be used in some sort of advertising, no.

Mar 21 19 10:48 am Link

Photographer

Tony Lawrence

Chicago, Illinois, US

Tony Lawrence wrote:
While Illinois has provisions that don't allow photographers to use a person's image for advertising, lets be candid do most here feel that's how the OP photos would be used.   Lets also understand that when a photographer doesn't give a model their photos its usually because the work wasn't very good or usable.   Nothing wrong with writing things down and emails can also work but none of that would prevent a photographer from not giving promised photos.   I want to also emphasize that sometimes shoots simply don't work.   I've shot models where I didn't get anything decent.   I still provided the models photos though.

My suggestion is to reach out to the photographer and ask what happened.   Was this sessions days, weeks or months ago.   If weeks then chill.   Months then ask.   Be polite and understanding.   Ask if the shots were okay and if he/she plans to send any at all.   No threats.   Don't get angry or say they'll hear from a lawyer.   If they don't respond, move on.   Is it likely your photos will be used in some sort of advertising, no.

Mar 21 19 11:02 am Link

Photographer

Jarrett Porst

Los Angeles, California, US

Sounds like you had an agreement with the loser through answering the CC.  If you want to pursue damages, you might be out of luck, the courts will side with the document.  When you're reading these doc's, stand strong, it's helps us all.  If you're signing something, you are agreeing to everything that's in the paperwork, everything that legal.  There are many losers out there that try every time to take advantage of those that trust.  Stop trusting.  It's a losers game. 

You can write this one on the wall as being a disease you caught.  Write it off, don't ever work with this loser again and carry on.  Eventually, we'll all become strong enough emotionally that these diseases will die off and we'll all be surrounded with those that we can trust.  It'll be decades.  Start now.

Mar 21 19 11:34 am Link

Photographer

1972 Productions

Cebu, Central Visayas, Philippines

If you have anything in writing, say a message through MM or emails agreeing with 'Time For Print' and the photographer has failed to provide prints then they are in breach of a written contract.

They may have a signed release from you and if they use your likeness for any form of commercial gains then you have a legal claim for damages as you never received the original agreed payment (The prints for your time)

I never shoot anyone on any terms without a model release being signed PRIOR to the shoot never afterwards so that the model has time to raise any questions regarding the release. I will also state that my release has not changed in 10 years and I would not change it on a model by model basis, it is my standard release.

As a model you could however (and I have had models ask me this in the past) ask for an email of the release prior to the shoot to make sure you are happy with the terminology and ask for full details of the shoot requirements and compensation (time for print).  Any professional will be happy to do so and take no offence at all.

The only way you're going to get anything from this photographer is if you are lucky enough to find your likeness being used as he has not paid you for it and then pursue action.  (Try his Facebook pages / Instagram etc)

Alternatively write a review of his practice on his page on here as long as it's honest.

Good luck

Mar 21 19 04:36 pm Link

Model

Grouchy Retired Nova

Tucson, Arizona, US

Tony Lawrence wrote:
Lets also understand that when a photographer doesn't give a model their photos its usually because the work wasn't very good or usable.

"Dear model, I reviewed the photos from our shoot and unfortunately none of them turned out because [insert reason here.] I know you spent a lot of time and effort on this shoot, hoping for some great images. I'd like another chance to correct this issue/ compensate you for your time/ sincerely apologize.

Sincerely,

Photographer.

There's NO excuse for flaking out on giving a model images. None. Nikto. Ninguna. Ingen.

Apr 01 19 04:07 pm Link

Photographer

Tony Lawrence

Chicago, Illinois, US

Let me be clear we should all keep our promises and if a model shoots with us, good results or not they should get something.   However when photographers aren't willing to share the images there is probably a good reason because if he/she is proud of the work why wouldn't they give the model photos.   In any event there is little a model can do to get photos from a photographer and it doesn't matter what they signed or didn't.   Let me also say beyond the MM world that when you work with pros if the shots aren't good in the photographer view then models usually get nothing.   Sometimes sessions don't work out and we (photographers) should own up to our errors no matter what.   

While that doesn't happen a lot it has happened to several very famous photographers and magazine editors and owners weren't happy.   Sometimes sessions don't work out and we (photographers) should own up to our errors no matter what.   In life some folks simply aren't going to do that.

Apr 01 19 06:46 pm Link

Model

Victoria Morrisa

New York, New York, US

I'm sorry to hear that you didn't get your pictures yet. Hopefully he will get them to you soon.

In the future, review and make any changes to the contract before the shoot, so that you know whether you actually want to do the shoot. In this case, you shouldn't have signed his contract since you didn't want him to use it for advertising purposes, and also if he didn't mention the contract beforehand. Or, you could have added into the contract that you do not consent for the pictures to be used for that purpose. The contract and its terms should have been discussed and finalized before the shoot.

Any time a photographer wants to use your images for advertising, they need to be paying you.

Apr 01 19 07:50 pm Link

Model

Rachel Jay

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Learn from it and move on. Plan to never see those images. It sucks, but it happens.

The lesson? Never sign a release allowing anyone to use your images for advertising unless you are getting paid.

If you loved the concept, shoot it with someone else. And make sure you shoot it better.

Apr 05 19 09:59 am Link

Photographer

Photo Jen B

Surprise, Arizona, US

orbea773 wrote:

Hello,
What a bummer that you and the photographer didn't work out expectations and agreements prior to the shoot. I'm sorry about that but, usually it helps a lot to discuss expectations and timeline of picture release.

How long ago was the shoot and how long did the photographer say to expect to wait for pictures? Did they agree to give you a certain amount?

It sucks, I know, (as a model I'd done several shoots that didn't produce any shots.) That is how it goes, it sucks but, it happens for a few reasons and I think its best to move on or be patient with a good attitude.
Jen
p.s. edit to add: I notice you do not have any credits listed for the photographers or stylists in your portfolio, (its not uncommon for them to disappear on this site, sometimes you have to put them back in.)

Apr 05 19 08:05 pm Link

Photographer

Lightcraft Studio

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Victoria Morrisa wrote:
Any time a photographer wants to use your images for advertising, they need to be paying you.

I thought a pretty common TFP arrangement was:

Model and photographer will use photos for portfolio, self-promotion (advertising self) only.

Model and photographer will not sell photos or use for in revenue producing venues (without agreement with other party).

Apr 13 19 02:09 am Link

Photographer

Andrew Koenig

Gillette, New Jersey, US

I suggest that in the future, you make it clear that after the shoot, you will not sign anything that you did not have the opportunity to read before the shoot, and that any rights that you grant to any images apply only to those images that you receive, and then only after you have received them.

Apr 13 19 07:45 am Link

Photographer

MidnightSun Designs

WINSTON SALEM, North Carolina, US

the photographer might be referring to advertising for him.  showing your pics on all their social media is consider advertising.

May 24 19 06:31 pm Link

Photographer

Herman Surkis

Victoria, British Columbia, Canada

"TFP-I modeled but didn't get any pics from shoot.  It was a casting call on here.  We shot for 2 hours and at end of shoot the photographer wanted me to sign a release so my images could be used for advertising.  I thought it was for art purposes and said I would be ok with that but not for advertising.  Any suggestions?"

I am unclear. Did you or did you not sign the release?

This is a recurring topic here.

All my models know in advance that they will not get any photos that I am  not willing to have public. If the shoot is a bust, for whatever reason, there will be no photos. Has not happened yet (except for equipment failure), but I have come close. But there are sets within a shoot that have not seen the light of day. I experiment, and experiment means frequent failure.

However, and it is important, I always let the subject know what is going on (unless I am so embarrassed that I want to run and hide).

The rest of the comments are options of what might have happened and what do do. But ultimately you may have to simply suck it up and move on. We have all had to do that at some point.

May 25 19 01:25 am Link

Photographer

FIFTYONE PHOTOGRAPHY

Uniontown, Pennsylvania, US

Lightcraft Studio wrote:
I thought a pretty common TFP arrangement was:

Model and photographer will use photos for portfolio, self-promotion (advertising self) only.

Model and photographer will not sell photos or use for in revenue producing venues (without agreement with other party).

this.

A TF shoot for images the Photographer wants to use Commercially?

May 25 19 01:48 am Link

Photographer

ROUA IMAGES

Phoenix, Arizona, US

orbea773 wrote:

There could be any number of reasons why you hadn't gotten any images back; however, it is still uncertain whether or not you actually did sign the release. Did you sign the release or leave it unsigned?  Have you tried to get in touch with the photographer since this time to communicate concerns and clarify reasons?

May 25 19 06:41 am Link

Photographer

Orca Bay Images

Arcata, California, US

The OP hasn't come back to respond or to provide missing information. in two months.

This "no images" situation was caused by failure in communication on both sides. Neither party prespecified any conditions for  the use of the images or in compensation for the effort.

Won't surprise me a bit if the OP experiences deja vu all over again.

May 25 19 01:09 pm Link

Model

laura lee

Los Angeles, California, US

funny  you posted about this , i  just posted a new  youtube video i  shoot on this a few weeks ago  about  model nightmares  , this came  up in out  conversation about  putting all this working  a shoot then  not getting photos , i hate that
find the link to the you tube  video here https://youtu.be/3B1D8ONZptY

May 27 19 12:50 pm Link

Model

Figures Jen B

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Orca Bay Images wrote:
The OP hasn't come back to respond or to provide missing information. in two months.

This "no images" situation was caused by failure in communication on both sides. Neither party prespecified any conditions for  the use of the images or in compensation for the effort.

Won't surprise me a bit if the OP experiences deja vu all over again.

Two months, jeepers, the mystery, right?

Jen

May 28 19 09:43 am Link

Photographer

Angel House Portraits

Orlando, Florida, US

It shows that he is still active and probably reading this. This goes along the lines of getting flaked on and probably worst because you went through the work. I have gone to some meet ups where organizers are cracking doing on these shoot and run photogs. They get blacklisted.

Aug 01 19 07:22 am Link

Photographer

goofus

Santa Barbara, California, US

it's clobbering time

Aug 01 19 12:40 pm Link