Model

cassidy leigh

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Hello! New model located in Arizona. Curious as to what most models rated are when charging a photographer for a shoot?

Apr 09 19 08:28 pm Link

Photographer

Mark Salo

Olney, Maryland, US

Welcome to MM.

Apr 10 19 06:52 am Link

Photographer

Abbitt Photography

Washington, Utah, US

You can find examples of models who pay photographers to build their portfolio, you can find examples of models doing test shoots with no guarantee it will result in a paid opportunity,  many part time models shoot TF.   You can find some traveling models on MM with asking rates of $125/hour or more, most of these are experienced art-nude models.  I'm sure there are some supermodels in Arizona who occasional commend thousands of dollars for a shoot.  What models commend can vary considerably. 

In the end you are worth what ever someone is willing to pay you.

The Bureau of Labor Statistics provides yearly mean, median and percentile information about what full time models are actually paid in the U.S.  They give information specific to some states, but Arizona is not one of them.  Realize, the BLS data is of full time salaried models, so it does not represent part-time freelance modeling as is typical of most MM models. 

https://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oes419012.htm

It's easy to focus on the top models and photographers, but the reality is overall, both are fairly low paying jobs.

Welcome to the Mayhem.

Apr 10 19 07:57 am Link

Model

Jen B

Phoenix, Arizona, US

cassidy lorent wrote:
Hello! New model located in Arizona. Curious as to what most models rated are when charging a photographer for a shoot?

Edit ahead of my post:

Wait, you've been here since 2011 and you are 24 in 2019...you've been since you were 16 years old?? I think you know much more than I do about modeling, exponentially.

Hi,

I charge $50 an hour. I have 6 years experience, do hair and make up, do art, nudes, lifestyle and portraiture.

Jen
p.s. edit to add: I just started charging this year and was here to build experience and my port as well as shoot and learn and not most models do it the way I did, (however my day job had a clause against second salaries so it worked for me to do trade for a long time.} I met some awesome photographers who taught me a lot and feel like they are some lifelong friends. Now I charge, oh yah, I"m also older than the average model too, so that could be a huge factor. Its different for all of us and what works for you, is what works for you.

Apr 10 19 09:38 pm Link

Photographer

Chuckarelei

Seattle, Washington, US

What one charges is irrelevant, what matters most is how much your potential clients are willing to pay you.

Apr 10 19 11:57 pm Link

Photographer

LnN Studio

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

Sellers set ASKING price.
Buyers set SELLING price.
Everything is negotiable but in the end it is supply and demand where you are.

Apr 11 19 02:50 pm Link

Photographer

Camerosity

Saint Louis, Missouri, US

I know several full-time models. Other than traveling nude models, they say that less than 10% of their income comes from MM.

Many of the best traveling nude models on MM charge $100/hour and make a good living. Many of them have lower local rates, because they don’t have to pay for airline tickets, rental cars or taxis, and hotel rooms when they aren’t traveling.

In the overall universe, though, photographers and models are paid by clients. For most photographers, their market is not models, and for most models, it’s not photographers.

I have seen many “new” models, with little or no experience, who say they charge “industry standard rates.” That’s code for $100/hour. A few weeks ago, I saw a profile of a new model with no experience that said her rate is $350/hour.

Why would someone pay a new model with little or no experience the same amount (or more than) they’d pay an experienced model who is one of the best?  Would you rather do 50 shoots a year at $30/hour or 1-2 at $100?

Several years ago, my niece was the head pastry chef at the 21 Club in NYC. A culinary magazine named her among the top 10 pastry chefs in the world. Now, she lives in San Francisco and makes wedding cakes priced at $5,000 and up (mostly up). That doesn’t mean that the going rate for a wedding cake in SF is $5,000 and up.

Some models seem to believe that all they have to do is join MM, and the money will just start rolling in. Those who succeed are the ones who take responsibility for building their own portfolios and promoting themselves and work hard to improve their skills.

You’re going to have to have high-quality images in your portfolio (and more than four of them) before people start paying you.

If I were you, I’d find the best photographers in the Phoenix area and offer to do trade shoots with them to build your portfolio and learn what you can from them.

Btw, if you were in StL, I wouldn’t hesitate to do a trade shoot with you. My guess is that you would have several takers.

Apr 11 19 06:35 pm Link

Photographer

Evil Laugh Photography

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Most of the models I've worked with are inexperienced/little experienced and part timers...thus... TF is the sort of payment. Only one model in more than a dozen now has been experienced enough to justify payment. I forget what rate we worked out but I THINK it was under $200 CAD for a 3 hour shoot in which I also provided the transportation. I do get messaged by travelling models every few months but generally don't bother replying as the rates they want are often more than I want to pay to work with someone who's profile I've never even looked at previously, and had no prior thought or care in the world to ever work with them.

Apr 25 19 10:29 pm Link

Photographer

Chris Wolf Photography

Toledo, Ohio, US

Short answer: Until you have something worth selling, you aren't getting paid. You need to work on your skills. Yes, models have to practice modeling just like a photographer practices lighting (or at least SHOULD). It's like any other art, until you get to the point you're worth paying, you're working for free. Same rule applies to acting, modeling, photography, scultpure, filmmaking, you name it.

May 26 19 12:51 pm Link

Photographer

Bob Pardue Photography

Lancaster, South Carolina, US

Wolfstar Studio wrote:
Short answer: Until you have something worth selling, you aren't getting paid. You need to work on your skills. Yes, models have to practice modeling just like a photographer practices lighting (or at least SHOULD). It's like any other art, until you get to the point you're worth paying, you're working for free. Same rule applies to acting, modeling, photography, scultpure, filmmaking, you name it.

Great advice! I don't work with models any longer (semi-retired because of my modeling site) but, when I spent most of my time shooting, TF was payment with occasional paid shoots for clients. And, some models paid me - Like time, modeling pay is relative. :-)

With that said, if modeling is your dream, increase your skills with as many shoots as possible. Then, check with agents to get paid work. Best of success!

Bob
Discover The Model In You
http://www.bobpardue.com

May 26 19 06:59 pm Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

What I pay a model is based on her look and experience.

May 27 19 12:18 am Link