Forums > Model Colloquy > Some Models Fail to Show For Agreed Shoot-Why

Photographer

Robert Stites

Posts: 22

Dallas, Texas, US

It would be interesting to hear from models why some don't feel the need to live up to their commitments to be at an agreed photo shoot. I have been burned by several models over the years and, apart from the frustration, there is the cost of the studio or location and everything else that goes with setting up a shoot. Any comments will be welcome.

Apr 15 19 04:48 pm Link

Model

Madison Mayne

Posts: 26

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Because they are rude and really don't care. I've never done that once in 4 years of modelling and I never would. They have absolutely no regard for anyone but themselves. There may be an occasional time when a shoot needs to be cancelled due to illness or some other valid reason, however the model still needs to let the photographer know instead of just not showing up. Just my two cents. Photographers should have a list of no shows that they can share with each other

Apr 15 19 05:15 pm Link

Photographer

Chuckarelei

Posts: 10982

Seattle, Washington, US

Robert Stites wrote:
It would be interesting to hear from models why some don't feel the need to live up to their commitments to be at an agreed photo shoot. I have been burned by several models over the years and, apart from the frustration, there is the cost of the studio or location and everything else that goes with setting up a shoot. Any comments will be welcome.

Welcome to the mayhem, the hard truth and fact on interweb modeling/photography.

By the way, don't call those 'models'. They are not models, 'models-wannabe' are far more appropriate.

Apr 15 19 05:28 pm Link

Photographer

Art Silva

Posts: 9934

Santa Barbara, California, US

If their inner voice could be audible it would say "Because I am Unprofessional!"

Apr 15 19 07:59 pm Link

Photographer

Shadow Dancer

Posts: 8243

Bellingham, Washington, US

Lordy, let's keep it real.
You all should try to put a band together!!!!

Moddles, Togs, MUAs, GWCs, it doesn't matter who, some of them flake.
So do bassists, drummers, singers, lead guitarists, club owners, people on craigslist and/or Fakebook and random other shitty people - I could go on for eternity.

There is no sensible explanation and there isn't going to be one.

MMers have been flogging this long since deader than dead horse since at least 2006 when I joined.
Acting like it's something new or unexpected is ridiculous.  Maybe somebody needs a nap or a good cry?

Apr 15 19 08:15 pm Link

Model

Victoria Morrisa

Posts: 107

New York, New York, US

In the future, you can confirm the shoot the day before, and then again the morning-of before you travel out to the shoot. You can also take a deposit to hold paid shoots.

Apr 16 19 01:05 am Link

Model

Alexandra Vincent

Posts: 267

Los Angeles, California, US

It works both ways. People are flaky - not.just models.

I once drove 9 hrs to reach a city in which I had a shoot scheduled the next morning. After I arrived at the hotel that night, I called the photographer for a final check in and he reported that he'd "forgotten" about the shoot, and was out of town.

We'd confirmed only the previous week. 9 hours of driving.

All models who have worked at the full time/pro level have at least a few similar stories. I have a handful of them.

Again...humans are flaky. All groups of humans. All.of.them.

Apr 16 19 06:51 am Link

Photographer

goofus

Posts: 662

Santa Barbara, California, US

ya know.. it's just 'one of those things'

I'm kinda used to it by now

it's not like we'd be curing cancer or saving mankind from the alien threat or anything.. maybe something better comes up.. maybe they are too hungover.. maybe they just do not feel like it - I get it..kinda

of course I have my own shooting space and equipment so I'm not renting anything.. and I typically do not employ a MUA..
If I did have to rent a studio.. and hire a MUA.. yeah..I'd be way more pissed..like WAY MORE

Apr 16 19 12:34 pm Link

Photographer

Eric212Grapher

Posts: 2015

Saint Louis, Missouri, US

Shadow Dancer wrote:
Lordy, let's keep it real.
You all should try to put a band together!!!!

Moddles, Togs, MUAs, GWCs, it doesn't matter who, some of them flake.
So do bassists, drummers, singers, lead guitarists, club owners, people on craigslist and/or Fakebook and random other shitty people - I could go on for eternity.

There is no sensible explanation and there isn't going to be one.

MMers have been flogging this long since deader than dead horse since at least 2006 when I joined.
Acting like it's something new or unexpected is ridiculous.  Maybe somebody needs a nap or a good cry?

+1

There will be a hundred different reasons for flaking, and not one will satisfy the person being flaked upon. Grandmothers do die again, from time to time. Accept it, and move on. You do not have to like it, but accepting reality is part of life.

Apr 16 19 03:57 pm Link

Photographer

Angel House Portraits

Posts: 7

Orlando, Florida, US

Victoria Morrisa wrote:
In the future, you can confirm the shoot the day before, and then again the morning-of before you travel out to the shoot. You can also take a deposit to hold paid shoots.

Funny years later its the same. This route I have take with great success before. All but the deposit. In the long run you will meet models and built relationships. Those are the ones with which you can go back to. Nowadays I do a little of everything. I have joined local groups. MM is always in the mix.

Apr 16 19 06:54 pm Link

Photographer

63fotos

Posts: 183

Alhambra, California, US

Robert Stites wrote:
It would be interesting to hear from models why some don't feel the need to live up to their commitments to be at an agreed photo shoot. I have been burned by several models over the years and, apart from the frustration, there is the cost of the studio or location and everything else that goes with setting up a shoot. Any comments will be welcome.

It's happened to me a few times, also. My conclusion is that are not really that serious about modeling.

Apr 16 19 10:02 pm Link

Photographer

Abbitt Photography

Posts: 13401

Des Moines, Iowa, US

Me:  "Yesterday you confirmed today's shoot, but today you didn't show up. Can you tell me why?"

Model:  "At the last minute I decided to go shopping instead."


While, most models may not cancel or flake because of shopping as this model did,  it really comes down to two things:

1  Something else become their new priority, and that many be any number of things. 

2.  A lack of consequences for not following through.


I work with college age students all the time, and I don't see nearly the flaky behavior I do from independent models.  The difference of course is consequence.  If a student skips a class or doesn't show up for a work shift, there will be repercussions they don't like.   The same is not true of freelance modeling.  A model can no-show on you and most photographers will never know so it won't negatively impact her ability to book future shoots.  Of course, if the model isn't serious about modeling, then even that doesn't matter.   In contrast, if an agency model doesn't show, there will be consequences. 

There are things photographers can do to reduce flakiness.  Once you've done that, you just have to decide if what you are left with is worth it or not.   At present, I'm not in the mood to deal with a bunch of flakiness, so I'm not even trying to book any shoots.  Someday, I'll want to shoot badly enough that I will.

Apr 17 19 08:33 am Link

Photographer

Art Silva

Posts: 9934

Santa Barbara, California, US

Abbitt Photography wrote:
Me:  "Yesterday you confirmed today's shoot, but today you didn't show up. Can you tell me why?"

Model:  "At the last minute I decided to go shopping instead."


While, most models may not cancel or flake because of shopping as this model did,  it really comes down to two things:

1  Something else become their new priority, and that many be any number of things. 

2.  A lack of consequences for not following through.


I work with college age students all the time, and I don't see nearly the flaky behavior I do from independent models.  The difference of course is consequence.  If a student skips a class or doesn't show up for a work shift, there will be repercussions they don't like.   The same is not true of freelance modeling.  A model can no-show on you and most photographers will never know so it won't negatively impact her ability to book future shoots.  Of course, if the model isn't serious about modeling, then even that doesn't matter.   In contrast, if an agency model doesn't show, there will be consequences. 

There are things photographers can do to reduce flakiness.  Once you've done that, you just have to decide if what you are left with is worth it or not.   At present, I'm not in the mood to deal with a bunch of flakiness, so I'm not even trying to book any shoots.  Someday, I'll want to shoot badly enough that I will.

I would slightly disagree. I have seen a few freelance models over the years get black listed by photographers and vice versa. At least in the art model community, word gets out quickly. All it takes is a few bad references here on MM, FB, maybe some art forums and people start talking. Depending on the popularity of the talent, the effect may be swift or may take a while.

Apr 17 19 02:47 pm Link

Photographer

TouchofEleganceStudios

Posts: 5453

Upland, California, US

Some of you who have been around on Model Mayhem for many years might remember the poor grandmother who died and later died then later died (same models grandmother). Dang that old lady had 9 lives that she would rise from the dead so many times. Then believe it or not a few years later that poor model that very same grandmother died again. But, don't worry she has at least 4 lives left.

Apr 17 19 07:02 pm Link

Model

Laura UnBound

Posts: 28684

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Some models don't show up to shoots booked with people who have done something to make them feel uncomfortable or otherwise like attending the shoot would not be in their best interest.

Apr 17 19 09:57 pm Link

Photographer

Andrew Koenig

Posts: 358

Gillette, New Jersey, US

I have encountered only one legitimate excuse for not showing up.

Once upon a time, I had made arrangements to get together with a fellow photographer for a joint shoot. The day before the shoot, as we were starting to nail down the details, he suddenly went silent. I tried every way I knew to contact him, but nothing. I was angry and depressed.

I heard from him about three days later, with a message along these lines:

"I am so terribly sorry to have stood you up the other day. The sad truth is that I dropped my phone in the toilet, and I had no backup for your contact information. I only use the phone to go online, and until I got the new phone, I had no way to get in touch with you or anyone else."

Then, on the flip side, I once saw a Facebook message from a model whom I had been wanting to shoot for some time: "Any photographers in north Jersey free for an outdoor shoot two hours from now? My photographer just called me with a flat tire and there's no way he can get here in time." I was lucky enough to be the first photographer to get back to her--and my luck was really in that day, because that was the shoot that she was planning to use to announce to the world that she was pregnant.

Apr 18 19 07:06 am Link

Photographer

Abbitt Photography

Posts: 13401

Des Moines, Iowa, US

Art Silva wrote:

I would slightly disagree. I have seen a few freelance models over the years get black listed by photographers and vice versa. At least in the art model community, word gets out quickly. All it takes is a few bad references here on MM, FB, maybe some art forums and people start talking. Depending on the popularity of the talent, the effect may be swift or may take a while.

Outing isn't allowed here on MM.  If anyone is keeping a blacklist or database of models in my area who are flaky, I'm certainly unaware of it.  I think when a model flakes on a photographer, the vast majority of other photographers won't know about it, so the impact on that model if any is usually very minor if at all.

Apr 18 19 07:54 am Link

Photographer

63fotos

Posts: 183

Alhambra, California, US

Laura UnBound wrote:
Some models don't show up to shoots booked with people who have done something to make them feel uncomfortable or otherwise like attending the shoot would not be in their best interest.

then why did they agree to do the shoot?

Apr 18 19 08:28 am Link

Clothing Designer

GRMACK

Posts: 5031

Bakersfield, California, US

My doc told me he has had days where half the patients do not show up.  He does bill the no-shows fifty bucks since they have some down time to do so.  He lets some first timers pass, but nails them a second time where they just shrug their shoulders and pay.  My dentist seems to have gotten aggressive in calling and texting about upcoming appointments too as well as "We will bill you if you don't show up!"

No shows - no matter what job or activity - are just a way of life.

Apr 18 19 08:50 am Link

Model

Laura UnBound

Posts: 28684

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

63fotos wrote:

then why did they agree to do the shoot?

Most people don't book a shoot on the spot - there's time between when the shoot is discussed and booked and when the shoot is actually scheduled to take place. Plenty of time for someone to fuck it up.

Apr 18 19 10:55 am Link

Photographer

Chuckarelei

Posts: 10982

Seattle, Washington, US

GRMACK wrote:
My doc told me he has had days where half the patients do not show up.  He does bill the no-shows fifty bucks since they have some down time to do so.  He lets some first timers pass, but nails them a second time where they just shrug their shoulders and pay.  My dentist seems to have gotten aggressive in calling and texting about upcoming appointments too as well as "We will bill you if you don't show up!"

No shows - no matter what job or activity - are just a way of life.

But I beet the amount and degree of no show is no where the rest of the field can come close to the world interweb modeling/photography.

Apr 18 19 11:00 am Link

Photographer

Shadow Dancer

Posts: 8243

Bellingham, Washington, US

Chuckarelei wrote:

But I beet the amount and degree of no show is no where the rest of the field can come close to the world interweb modeling/photography.

We are surrounded by politicians who say they wil do something and do not, or say they did not do something and did. We have countless millions of fake Facebook accounts and they are posted faster than Facebook can delete them. Craigslist trolls, scammers and other scum, "Contractors" who disappear after getting payment for materials, landlords and renters who do not hold their end up and as I said before, not many of you (if any) have ever tried to put and keep a band together.

So I would say that you are simply focused on the disappointments that affect you and not really looking at the world at large. Flaky photographers and models are a small segment of the flaky people that surround us.

Apr 18 19 12:36 pm Link