Forums > Photography Talk > Corrupted Psd File.

Retoucher

Ahish18

Delhi, Delhi, India

Hello Guys,
All of a sudden my system turned off due to power cut. And now when I open the .psd file it gives an error "Could not complete your request because it not a valid Photoshop document". I think the psd file got corrupted. Is there any way to fix this? I have almost tried every recovery software that is available online. None worked for me. Its a 242mb psd file. Help please.

Apr 30 19 04:14 am Link

Photographer

63fotos

Flagstaff, Arizona, US

Ahish18 wrote:
Hello Guys,
All of a sudden my system turned off due to power cut. And now when I open the .psd file it gives an error "Could not complete your request because it not a valid Photoshop document". I think the psd file got corrupted. Is there any way to fix this? I have almost tried every recovery software that is available online. None worked for me. Its a 242mb psd file. Help please.

that's a big file, bigger than some video files.
don't you have the orginal jpeg, or raw file?
have you tried the Pixillion file recovery program?

Apr 30 19 09:18 am Link

Photographer

Leonard Gee Photography

Sacramento, California, US

63fotos wrote:
that's a big file, bigger than some video files.
don't you have the orginal jpeg, or raw file?
have you tried the Pixillion file recovery program?

the original file won't have the hours of work done. the selection process, dodge & burn can consume days.

if the header is trashed, you may be able to save it with a hex editing program, if the data is corrupt  and the file used image compression, it's a lost cause. most "recovery" programs are usually undelete functions and very few repair damaged files. of course, if you have a backup version - that's the best option. for extensive work, save to multiple versions. that's the best workflow; but not many people think about that nor do it.

ups (uninterruptible power supply); my computers and network are on a high capacity power backup system. nothing worse than a power outage when rendering, uploading or transcoding a 4k video file.

Apr 30 19 09:25 am Link

Photographer

phpcat

Corcoran, California, US

There is a similar thread here and one guy discusses an idea involving temporary files used by your computer.  It's kind of an old post and the photoshop file he was working with was 10MB.

This other page is more recent and may be helpful, assuming you are using windoze.

Some other guy recently suggested that the GIMP might help open and properly save such a file, and this suggestion reportedly saved some guy a week's worth of work.  As you may know, GIMP is not a file recovery program, but basically, it's like an open source version of something like Photoshop and is available for windoze, Mac, or Linux.  It's been around since the days of Photoshop 4.0, back in 1996.  Might be worth looking into, but before you do, you may want to know GIMP may have problems with reading some layers, may have to rasterize certain layers, etc.  For more details, check out this fairly recent article on the seven best ways to open a PSD file without photoshop.

Good luck.

Apr 30 19 04:28 pm Link

Retoucher

Ahish18

Delhi, Delhi, India

Thank you guys. But I had to retouch the image from the start again. And I am done doing that. Thank you everyone once again.

May 01 19 08:09 am Link

Photographer

Michael DBA Expressions

Lynchburg, Virginia, US

Wish we could have saved you the effort, but sometimes it can't be helped. Save early and often, and remember, there's no such thing as too many backup copies.

May 04 19 04:41 pm Link

Retoucher

Ahish18

Delhi, Delhi, India

Michael DBA Expressions wrote:
Wish we could have saved you the effort, but sometimes it can't be helped. Save early and often, and remember, there's no such thing as too many backup copies.

Thank you

May 05 19 05:46 am Link

Photographer

E Thompson Photography

Hyattsville, Maryland, US

There is a preference in CS6 and above that will automatically save a "recovery version" of the file your working on. Also you may want to implement a battery back up system that gives you time to properly shut down your system.

https://www.addictivetips.com/windows-t … photoshop/

https://www.howtogeek.com/161479/how-to … -computer/

May 05 19 08:31 am Link