Forums > Photography Talk > Model Releases: 12-Page article by attorney

Photographer

Los Angeles Glamour

Los Angeles, California, US

http://www.dropbox.com/s/ijv61zthildlse … s.pdf?dl=0

By an attorney in Shakey Town (Los Angeles). Advice is USA-centric but looks reasonable for other parts of the world too. Article is free, it's a downloadable PDF.

May 14 19 03:43 pm Link

Photographer

Deep Visions

Oceanside, California, US

Thanks for sharing

May 14 19 06:41 pm Link

Photographer

Vector One Photography

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US

Just one issue.... model releases are a type of contract and contracts are controlled by state law.  So his advise should be accurate for California but may not be valid in New York or Florida.  Copyright is federal and the same in all states, model releases are on a state by state basis.

May 16 19 07:16 am Link

Photographer

JBP Graphics

Victoria, British Columbia, Canada

Thanks. But its only 8 pages, unless 4 have been removed since posting?

May 16 19 11:10 am Link

Photographer

Los Angeles Glamour

Vector One Photography wrote:
Just one issue.... model releases are a type of contract and contracts are controlled by state law. Some releases are in contract form; some are not. It depends on whether the release says there has been 'consideration' (something of value) provided to the model. Without consideration, the release is essentially a gift, not a contract.

So his advise should be accurate for California but may not be valid in New York or Florida.  Copyright is federal and the same in all states, model releases are on a state by state basis.

My comments are interleaved in boldface

May 16 19 02:05 pm Link

Photographer

Los Angeles Glamour

JBP Graphics wrote:
Thanks. But its only 8 pages, unless 4 have been removed since posting?

I believe this is the link to the 12-page lengthier article:

http://www.dropbox.com/s/r7717t5yg0qtfa … s.pdf?dl=0

May 16 19 02:13 pm Link

Photographer

Gary Melton

Dallas, Texas, US

One thing not mentioned in the article and I'm always amazed how few people (including photographers and models) know this:

"Release" is short for "Release of Liability".  The main purpose of a "release" is for the model to "release" (in writing) the photographer from any liability for his use of the photos (contingent on what exceptions are spelled out - or not - in the release).

In other words, a "release" is the model signing a document that in effect says that the model will not sue the photographer if he uses the photos for commercial use...unless he uses them in such a way that the model did not agree to (by the language of the release).

I know there will be many who will howl "false" at my next few statements, but a "Model Release" is one-way: model giving complete or limited rights to use the photos.  The photographer does NOT need to sign the release - ONLY the model!

It is NOT a contract, since only one party is required to sign it.  When a photographer pays a model to create photos for commercial use, he (or she) is basically paying for the signed model release.  If the model wants a separate "Usage Agreement", this should be negotiated prior to the shoot.  A photographer is free to refuse to create a "Usage Agreement" just as the model is free to refuse to work for pay for a photographer who refuses to create one.

May 18 19 02:49 pm Link

Photographer

Ken Marcus Studios

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

This is the Model Release that I have been using for several years.
It was written by my attorney who specializes in 2257 and publication, and has been approved for use by the Legal Departments at Penthouse, Playboy, Hustler, and Muscle & Fitness magazines.

The staff at my studio have instructions not to let me shoot anyone, unless they first fill out and sign both a model release and the appropriate 2257 forms (even if there is no nudity). It's the first thing models are required to do before I even pick up my camera. As a professional, I won't take the unnecessary risks by not complying with the 2257 Federal Regulations or being sued by a model.

Feel free to use this release, if you'd like . . . just please change my name to yours (or I will own your releases).

KM

https://www.onlinepixxx.com/MM_Model_Release.jpg

May 18 19 06:32 pm Link

Photographer

Decay of Memory

Asheville, North Carolina, US

Sorry for the bother. You wouldn't happen to have a link to it in text form?

Ken Marcus Studios wrote:
It was written by my attorney who specializes in 2257 and publication, and has been approved for use by the Legal Departments at Penthouse, Playboy, Hustler, and Muscle & Fitness magazines.

The staff at my studio have instructions not to let me shoot anyone, unless they first fill out and sign both a model release and the appropriate 2257 forms (even if there is no nudity). It's the first thing models are required to do before I even pick up my camera. As a professional, I won't take the unnecessary risks by not complying with the 2257 Federal Regulations or being sued by a model.

Feel free to use this release, if you'd like . . . just please change my name to yours (or I will own your releases).

KM

May 19 19 06:01 am Link

Photographer

Ken Marcus Studios

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Decay of Memory wrote:

Here is the important text (minus the form layout design):  www.onlinepixxx.com/Model_Release_word.docx

KM

May 19 19 12:01 pm Link

Photographer

Dan Howell

Kerhonkson, New York, US

might be your policy, but it is not a universal that a model sign a release prior to a shoot. For virtually every fashion shoot with agency model that I have ever shot it has been negotiated in advance but only signed at completion of shoot. Please refrain from suggesting that one approach is the only professional approach.

May 19 19 05:42 pm Link

Model

B R E N N A N

Charlotte, North Carolina, US

KM

But you can't release images you haven't shot yet? That's literally opening yourself up to a lawsuit.
Also, no way in a billion years would I ever sign a release stating that my real, legal name can be used, i.e. "in conjunction with my own or fictitious name."
Just because you've been using a release for years and having model release images she literally hasn't shot yet doesn't make it right or a best practice.

May 19 19 07:27 pm Link

Photographer

FIFTYONE PHOTOGRAPHY

Uniontown, Pennsylvania, US

B R E N N A N wrote:
But you can't release images you haven't shot yet?

[snip]

having model release images she literally hasn't shot yet doesn't make it right or a best practice.

An interesting and valid point.

Thank You!

May 20 19 03:26 am Link

Photographer

Decay of Memory

Asheville, North Carolina, US

Decay of Memory wrote:

Here is the important text (minus the form layout design):  www.onlinepixxx.com/Model_Release_word.docx

KM

Thank you.

May 20 19 03:56 am Link

Photographer

Zave Smith Photography

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

I have been using the Easy-Release app since it first was endorsed by Getty Images.  Just this last month I have had two models inquire that they saw there images in an ad and wondered how it got there forgetting that we did a "trade for release" shoot where they signed that Easy Release model release.

In both cases, once I sent them a copy of the release, they backed away from any further legal pursuit. 

Easy Release is a very simple way to gather model releases and allows the photographer complete commercial usage of those images.

May 20 19 04:27 am Link

Photographer

Dan Howell

Kerhonkson, New York, US

Zave Smith Photography wrote:
Easy Release

From what I understand, Getty won't accept any customized version of a release through Easy Release. Adult magazines like those mentioned in this thread require more specifics regarding content than specified in the standard Easy Release version.

One size does not fit all.

May 20 19 07:00 pm Link

Clothing Designer

GRMACK

Bakersfield, California, US

I agree with the above who have the model sign the release AFTER the photo session, and never BEFORE.

Should it go to court, the model could claim "He had me sign the release beforehand (under duress) and he used the pictures of me where he barged into my dressing room and took them while undressing.  I would never have signed or agreed to signing that release beforehand not knowing that he turned creepy or pervy."

I believe any judge, or jury, would frown upon that method of getting the release signed prior to the session that the model had no intentions getting into, and possibly any questionable behavior that later occurred after the release was signed.

May 20 19 07:28 pm Link

Photographer

Michael Fryd

Miami Beach, Florida, US

B R E N N A N wrote:
But you can't release images you haven't shot yet? That's literally opening yourself up to a lawsuit.
Also, no way in a billion years would I ever sign a release stating that my real, legal name can be used, i.e. "in conjunction with my own or fictitious name."
Just because you've been using a release for years and having model release images she literally hasn't shot yet doesn't make it right or a best practice.

It's a common misconception that the model is releasing the "pictures".  That's not what's really going on.

What a typical release actually does is to grant permission to use the model's likeness in the specified manor.  This is not specific to any particular image, or even to the shoot.   Most model releases grant permission for the likeness to be edited, distorted, etc., and specifically waive the right to inspect the images.   

Taken at face value, most releases allow you to use any photo ever taken of the model (no matter who took them), or any photo yet to be taken (subject to permission of the copyright holder), as long as the use of her likeness falls within the bounds of the released use.

For instance, if I do a catalog shoot for a swimwear company, and the model authorizes her likeness to be used "in printed catalogs for brand X clothing, for a period of 1 year,"  That permission would apply to images taken in the past, and also to images taken a month later.  Furthermore, If the model allowed distortions and waived the right to inspect (as is typical), I could Photoshop her face onto someone else's body for use in that catalog.

I am not saying I would do such a thing, but I am saying that a typical model release would allow it.

====
By the way, even if you think the model is releasing the images from that particular shoot, if she waives the right to inspect the images, there is no problem with signing the release before the shoot.

====
Consider someone who goes on a rafting trip, a scuba diving trip, skydiving, or other potentially risky activity.  Almost certainly the operator of the excursion will require you to sign away your right to sue should you get hurt.   It is legal to sign that right away prior to engaging in the activity, even though you don't know whether or not the operator will follow safety procedures to your liking.

May 27 19 07:05 am Link

Photographer

Dan Howell

Kerhonkson, New York, US

Michael Fryd wrote:
What a typical release actually does is to grant permission to use the model's likeness in the specified manor.  This is not specific to any particular image, or even to the shoot.   Most model releases grant permission for the likeness to be edited, distorted, etc., and specifically waive the right to inspect the images.

I have never heard this. While not a lawyer, I have been using model releases for decades. EVERY model release I use defines the release to a Shoot. The definition of a Shoot is typically defined as a day unless specifically address as a date range. Multi-day releases are not common. Your supposition that a model releasing one shooting day affects all prior images shot at separate sessions is, in my opinion, inaccurate. The industry practice is COMPLETELY opposite of this and I have literally NEVER heard that put forward as a common or any way accepted practice.

I would estimate that the most commonly used release is the Getty Stock model release which is accepted by all other stock agencies. It addresses shoot as a specific day. I don't believe they even accept multi-day releases. EasyRelease's standard language is similar.

Even if you can construe some minor nuance in some state law, no sensible photographer or publication would want to go into any court with that as their defense. They would lose in every case. It would be interesting to hear the referenced lawyer's take on your supposition. Your example of a release covering past images is reckless. The idea of it covering future images is ludicrous.

May 27 19 07:38 am Link

Photographer

Michael Fryd

Miami Beach, Florida, US

Dan Howell wrote:
I have never heard this. While not a lawyer, I have been using model releases for decades. EVERY model release I use defines the release to a Shoot. The definition of a Shoot is typically defined as a day unless specifically address as a date range. Multi-day releases are not common. Your supposition that a model releasing one shooting day affects all prior images shot at separate sessions is, in my opinion, inaccurate. The industry practice is COMPLETELY opposite of this and I have literally NEVER heard that put forward as a common or any way accepted practice.

I would estimate that the most commonly used release is the Getty Stock model release which is accepted by all other stock agencies. It addresses shoot as a specific day. I don't believe they even accept multi-day releases. EasyRelease's standard language is similar.

Even if you can construe some minor nuance in some state law, no sensible photographer or publication would want to go into any court with that as their defense. They would lose in every case. It would be interesting to hear the referenced lawyer's take on your supposition. Your example of a release covering past images is reckless. The idea of it covering future images is ludicrous.

Model Release address right of privacy and right of publicity laws.

In New York state you need a persons written consent to use their name, portrait or picture  for advertising purposes, or for the purposes of trade.

Most standard releases grant permission to use photographs of the model for the stated purpose.  It is rare to see a release that is limited to photos taken at a specific shoot.

For instance the standard PPA release says: "I, _________________________________________________ [print name of person giving the release] for good and valuable consideration, the receipt of which is hereby acknowledged, hereby irrevocably authorize [name of photographer or studio including location] to use photographs of me".   Note that it does not include a limitation such as "photographs taken of me on 5/27/2019," "photographs that I approve," or even "the photographs that were just taken of me by ....".   The plain meaning of the release is that the photographer can use any photo of the model for the allowed purpose.  Restrictions, are generally on when and how the model's likeness may be used, not on which photos may be used.

While it's certainly a good idea to get a release for each shoot (it makes sure that everyone is aware that a release exists), most blanket releases are not limited to a particular shoot.

Yes, it certainly does seem strange, and it's not what we have been taught, but it's what most releases actually say.

Obviously, this is not "legal advice", and you should never rely on advice from the web.  The specifics of a situation may result in an outcome that differs from the norm.  For reliable legal advice, speak to an attorney.

Of course, celebrities generally negotiate releases than allow them to specifically review and approve what images may be used.

May 27 19 09:03 am Link

Photographer

Dan Howell

Kerhonkson, New York, US

Michael Fryd wrote:
Yes, it certainly does seem strange, and it's not what we have been taught, but it's what most releases actually say.

All photographers should disregard the above information.

It is woefully inaccurate. There is absolutely no implied release for images taken a month after an unrelated shoot. This kind of advice will get an uninformed photographer in trouble. It is patently irresponsible for you to repeat it. That is absolutely as polite as I can put it.

This is the Getty Model Release form:
https://contributors.gettyimages.com/im … e1ee44.pdf

May 27 19 06:16 pm Link

Photographer

Dan Howell

Kerhonkson, New York, US

Michael Fryd wrote:
For instance the standard PPA release says: "I, _________________________________________________ [print name of person giving the release] for good and valuable consideration, the receipt of which is hereby acknowledged, hereby irrevocably authorize [name of photographer or studio including location] to use photographs of me".   Note that it does not include a limitation such as "photographs taken of me on 5/27/2019," "photographs that I approve," or even "the photographs that were just taken of me by ....".   The plain meaning of the release is that the photographer can use any photo of the model for the allowed purpose.  Restrictions, are generally on when and how the model's likeness may be used, not on which photos may be used.

Just to demonstrate the level of your arrogant and irresponsible contribution, here is the ACTUAL language of the model release you reference:

From the PPA website linked:
I, _________________________________________________ [print name of person giving the release] for good
and valuable consideration, the receipt of which is hereby acknowledged, hereby irrevocably authorize [name of photographer or studio including location] to use photographs of me and or my property
and authorize [choose one: him/her/their] and [choose one: his/her/their] assignees, licensees, legal representatives and transferees to use and publish (with or without my name, company name, or with
a fictitious name) photographs, pictures, portraits or images herein described in any and all forms and media and in all manners including composite images or distorted representations, and the purposes of publicity, illustration, commercial art, advertising, publishing (including publishing in electronic form on CDs or internet websites), for any product or services, or other lawful uses as may be determined by the photographer or studio name here. I further waive any and all rights to review or approve any uses of the images, any written copy or finished product. I am of full legal age and (delete the bold copy if this is for a minor) have read and fully understand the terms of this release.

Description of images...."

You obviously intentionally left out the language "photographs, pictures, portraits or images herein described" and then the direction for description of the shoot.  Do I need to explain that to you? It means the release applies and only applies to a specific shoot indicated by description and date.

I can only assume that you want photographers to get in trouble. Can we get a moderator up in here?

May 27 19 06:33 pm Link

Photographer

poiter

Salt Lake City, Utah, US

My understanding is that the model release ONLY covers the date(s) written on the actual model release. Not before or after.

May 27 19 06:42 pm Link

Photographer

poiter

Salt Lake City, Utah, US

Michael Fryd wrote:
Taken at face value, most releases allow you to use any photo ever taken of the model (no matter who took them)

Of cause it matters who took the image. If I took the photo of a model, she can't grant the rights for usage to someone else. I'm the copyright owner of the photos I took.

May 27 19 06:46 pm Link

Photographer

Gary Davis

San Diego, California, US

Michael Fryd wrote:
It's a common misconception that the model is releasing the "pictures".  That's not what's really going on.

What a typical release actually does is to grant permission to use the model's likeness in the specified manor.

Technically this is true based on the research I've done.  In fact if the model is not "identifiable" in an image, a release is not technically necessary at all.

Of course for practical purposes common practice may be different, as Dan has pointed out.  Who wants to completely give up their rights without limitation?  And of course it's better to make things clear up front rather than arguing about them in court later.

I think it's good to understand that in it's purest form, the release is about the models likeness and whether it can be published, not necessarily the specific photos, unless of course the release is made to be more specific.

May 27 19 06:50 pm Link

Photographer

Gary Davis

poiter wrote:

Of cause it matters who took the image. If I took the photo of a model, she can't grant the rights for usage to someone else. I'm the copyright owner of the photos I took.

Copyright is a completely separate issue.  The model is releasing the rights to her likeness, this has nothing to do with copyright.

Taking a picture of someone doesn't prevent them from releasing rights to their likeness to someone else.

May 27 19 06:53 pm Link

Photographer

poiter

Salt Lake City, Utah, US

Gary Davis wrote:

Copyright is a completely separate issue.  The model is releasing the rights to her likeness, this has nothing to do with copyright.

Taking a picture of someone doesn't prevent them from releasing rights to their likeness to someone else.

Yes the model can release their rights to their likeness to someone else. But that other person can't use the photos I took of the model without my permission, because I'm the copyright owner.

This is what "Michael Fryd" wrote:
Taken at face value, most releases allow you to use any photo ever taken of the model (no matter who took them).

Which is not true. For example the model can sign away her likeness to Michael Fryd, but Michael can not use photos this model taken by me, unless I too have granted him permission.

May 27 19 07:23 pm Link

Photographer

Gary Davis

poiter wrote:
This is what "Michael Fryd" wrote:
Taken at face value, most releases allow you to use any photo ever taken of the model (no matter who took them).

That's not what he wrote.  It's a small piece of what he wrote in which you've conveniently left out a key part.

Which is not true. For example the model can sign away her likeness to Michael Fryd, but Michael can not use photos this model taken by me, unless I too have granted him permission.

This is exactly what he said if you'd bother to finish the sentence.

May 27 19 07:57 pm Link

Photographer

poiter

Salt Lake City, Utah, US

Gary Davis wrote:

Yes you are right, I mistakenly glossed over the next part of what he wrote.

May 27 19 09:01 pm Link

Photographer

Michael Fryd

Miami Beach, Florida, US

poiter wrote:

In order to use a photo of a model in an advertisement, you generally need permission both from the model and the copyright holder.    Typically, the model grants "assignable permission" to the photographer.  The photographer is typically also the copyright holder, and this puts him in the convenient position of being able to grant permission for both the copyright and using the model's likeness.

I have done catalog shoots where the clothing company arranged for the models.  The clothing company got releases from the models, and a copyright license from me.   In that case, the model granted a release directly to the company that would be using the images, and not to the photographer.  My rights to the image were only in the copyright, I did not have a release from the model.

Rights of Publicity issues are separate from copyright issues, but they are frequently handled together as both must be addressed.

May 28 19 04:16 am Link

Photographer

V-Flat Travis

Capitol Heights, Maryland, US

Decay of Memory wrote:

KM

The staff at my studio have instructions not to let me shoot anyone, unless they first fill out and sign both a model release and the appropriate 2257 forms (even if there is no nudity).

1. Can you link to the2257 form(S)
2. Why do you take the precautions to have a Federal 2257 form sign if there is no nudity?

Jun 01 19 02:47 am Link

Photographer

Michael Fryd

Miami Beach, Florida, US

V-Flat Travis wrote:
2. Why do you take the precautions to have a Federal 2257 form sign if there is no nudity?

Nudity is not a requirement for 2257 to be apply.

Nudity does not automatically require 2257.

Not all porn involves nudity.   A crotch shot of someone in a tight fitting bathing suit might apply.   Not everything that includes nudity is porn.  For instance a plastic surgeon's before and after photos of a breast implant client.

Jun 01 19 03:11 am Link

Photographer

V-Flat Travis

Capitol Heights, Maryland, US

Michael Fryd wrote:
Not all porn involves nudity.   A crotch shot of someone in a tight fitting bathing suit might apply.   Not everything that includes nudity is porn.  For instance a plastic surgeon's before and after photos of a breast implant client.

Thank You

I didn't take the time to think the question thru.

I still think it would be helpful to see how a Professional with years in the industry, such as Ken, words and handles these situation. And to read why he takes those precautions, I rather learn from his wisdom and mistakes, then fail by not asking a question that points me(you) in the right direction.

Jun 01 19 03:25 am Link

Artist/Painter

Hunter GWPB

King of Prussia, Pennsylvania, US

Porn is based on community standards not objective criteria.  To some people, any nudity is porn. There are pieces in the Philadelphia Museum of Art that show cherubs as nude human male children with wings.  I wouldn't dream of painting those figures today.  If a parent can be investigated for having photos of their infant or toddler nude, how long would it take before someone had a search warrant for my computer after I painted nude cherubs anatomically like children?  When political leadership changes, the interpretation of the laws and the enforcement of the laws may change. 

The reason to obtain 2257 forms no matter what, is that you can't be prosecuted if you are in compliance.  Otherwise, you may be prosecuted, even though by our community's (MM) standard, we are no where near porn.

Let's hope 2257 doesn't survive appeal, but it is going to be a while.

Jun 01 19 05:10 am Link

Photographer

Michael Fryd

Miami Beach, Florida, US

Hunter  GWPB wrote:
Porn is based on community standards not objective criteria.  To some people, any nudity is porn. There are pieces in the Philadelphia Museum of Art that show cherubs as nude human male children with wings.  I wouldn't dream of painting those figures today.  If a parent can be investigated for having photos of their infant or toddler nude, how long would it take before someone had a search warrant for my computer after I painted nude cherubs anatomically like children?  When political leadership changes, the interpretation of the laws and the enforcement of the laws may change. 

The reason to obtain 2257 forms no matter what, is that you can't be prosecuted if you are in compliance.  Otherwise, you may be prosecuted, even though by our community's (MM) standard, we are no where near porn.

Let's hope 2257 doesn't survive appeal, but it is going to be a while.

2257 is a federal issue.  2257 compliance generally isn't an issue for local laws.

Jun 01 19 12:57 pm Link

Artist/Painter

Hunter GWPB

Michael Fryd wrote:
2257 is a federal issue.  2257 compliance generally isn't an issue for local laws.

Perhaps you would share the Federal definition of pornography with us and that will clear it all up?  This is what I found:  "The representation in books, magazines, photographs, films, and other media of scenes of sexual behavior that are erotic or lewd and are designed to arouse sexual interest."  What exactly is sexual behavior?  Does it include a woman in a photograph, standing next to a window and being shot in natural light with an expression that says, "Here boy." What exactly is erotic, lewd and what activities are designed to arouse sexual interest? Some people would say that an art nude, including some allowed on MM, would arouse sexual interest. Why is the nude female contest, by far, the more popular contest? It is just the artistic appreciation of the female nude over all the other types of images displayed, but is not driven by sexual interest?

"The Roth test for obscenity is "whether to the average person, applying contemporary community standards, the dominant theme of the material taken as a whole appeals to a prurient [lewd or lustful] interest." The Roth test proved difficult to use because every term in it eluded a conclusive definition." 

If I am going to be investigated at the federal level, I will be tried in the federal courts and a jury of my peers in the district court will be selected from the area included within the jurisdiction of the Pennsylvania Eastern District Court.  A person having a trial involving 2257 in DesMoines will have jutors from the Southern District Court of Iowa.  And so on around the nation.  The standards the jury uses to decide, because they are not going to put away personal feelings, will then be influenced by the community standards of those jurors.  Will those 12 people represent an accurate cross section of the population?  Doubt it.  And a good prosecutor will be trying to slant the jury to favor a win- not to favor the outcome that best represents truth and justice.

I referenced the Roth test for obscenity, and before you tell me that it is not relevant- the test separates pornography from obscenity.  is 2257 record keeping required for obscenity?  In  a 2257 case, will the court (jurors) have to decided if the material involved was obscenity, pornography or neither?  " the Court concluded that to establish obscenity, the material must, aside from appealing to the prurient interest, be "utterly without redeeming social value" and "patently offensive because it affronts contemporary community standards relating to the description of sexual matters." The phrase "utterly without redeeming social value" allowed a loophole for pornographers."  So, there it is, right in the court conclusion, "community standards."  And when you are faced with 12 jurors that might see nudity = pornography = obscenity, do you want to have the 2257 forms filled out, just in case, or are you going to trust that the jurors will see nudity ≠ pornography ≠ obscenity?  What, exactly, is the social value of a woman standing naked next to a window?  And will that social value be the same to jurors where you live to jurors where I live?

All prosecutions and trials are local.  I said nothing about local laws.  Since I used the cherubs as an example: "Images of child pornography are not protected under First Amendment rights, and are illegal contraband under federal law. Section 2256 of Title 18, United States Code, defines child pornography as any visual depiction of sexually explicit conduct involving a minor (someone under 18 years of age)." ....  "Notably, the legal definition of sexually explicit conduct does not require that an image depict a child engaging in sexual activity.  A picture of a naked child may constitute illegal child pornography if it is sufficiently sexually suggestive."

reference for quotes:
https://legal-dictionary.thefreediction … ornography
https://www.justice.gov/criminal-ceos/c … ornography

Jun 01 19 05:55 pm Link

Photographer

Michael Fryd

Miami Beach, Florida, US

Hunter  GWPB wrote:
Perhaps you would share the Federal definition of pornography with us and that will clear it all up?  ...

18 U.S. Code § 2257 applies to  any book, magazine, periodical, film, videotape, digital image, digitally- or computer-manipulated image of an actual human being, picture, or other matter which—
(1) contains one or more visual depictions made after November 1, 1990 of actual sexually explicit conduct; and
(2) is produced in whole or in part with materials which have been mailed or shipped in interstate or foreign commerce, or is shipped or transported or is intended for shipment or transportation in interstate or foreign commerce.

Jun 01 19 07:24 pm Link

Photographer

Camera Buff

Maryborough, Queensland, Australia

Release concerns - Sorting out a model release form is an essential part of a model shoot, so why is it a source of confusion?

If you intend selling pictures of a person for commercial use, you will categorically need a clearance. A signed 'standard' release form is better than not having one.

Selling pictures in more contentious markets may indeed require a more detailed 'non-standard' release form. One that specifies the pictures are cleared for use in those markets (e.g. healthcare).

KM was kind enough to show and tell us how and when he uses his version of a release. I didn't take it that KM is suggesting that his approach is the only professional approach. My thanks to him for sharing!

Jun 01 19 11:46 pm Link

Photographer

Dan Howell

Kerhonkson, New York, US

Hunter  GWPB wrote:
Perhaps you would share the Federal definition of pornography with us and that will clear it all up?

Actually, I think it would be more helpful to remind everyone that a 2257 document is not a model release, the subject of this thread.

Jun 02 19 07:54 am Link

Artist/Painter

Hunter GWPB

Disclaimer: This should be considered to be a discussion between two or more lay people and is not legal advice. Get a lawyer if you want legal advice.

Yes, Michael.  You are correct about what 2257 regulates. But your answer is incomplete and misleading because it doesn’t quantify the standards per 2256(2)(B), which 2257 is enforcing, and 2256(2)(B) has some ambiguities.  2257 alone, what is 'Actual Sexually Explicit Conduct?" Taken together, the specific “Actual Sexually Explicit Conduct” includes most of what we would consider pornography.  What is apparently excluded would be some nudity, if nudity in itself is pornography.  But not all nudity. What are the objective standards for lascivious display of the genitals?  And, as you previously indicated, a clothed person could still fall under 2257 in all of the 2256(2)(B) criteria, except (i), which specifically requires: “the genitals, breast, or pubic area, of any person is exhibited.”   Of course, there could be some argument as to what exhibited means.

The question that I answered previously was why someone should consider having a 2257 form signed for all photoshoots. There are several reasons.  But without going into all the possibilities, no matter how implausible, the most pragmatic reason is to cover one’s ass.  If you want to nit pick the difference of what is “Actual Sexually Explicit Conduct,” in light of the 2256(2)(B) requirements, be my guest.  A photographer can sit down and figure out if anything is going to happen on any particular shoot that might be covered by 2256(2)(B).  Of course, a photographer is welcome to delete any image from the computers and cards, carefully assessing that all versions and traces of an offending image are gone from all storage devices. He can gauge what a prosecutor’s opinion will be as to the pertinence of all the images relative to 2256(2)(B). An image shot under 2256(2)(A) is exempt from 2257 because it is simulated, but what if it is simulated so well that people don’t believe it is simulated?  He can never transport the images across state or national boundaries or engage the images in commerce, whatever that means.  If anyone of the criteria of 2256(2)(B) or 2257(a), parts (1)and (2) are not met, then 2257 doesn’t apply. I guess,  Or the photographer can use one sheet of paper and five minutes to meet the paperwork requirements of 2257, and avoid all of the gray areas, because they are rendered mute with the paperwork.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/2256
https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/2257

Jun 02 19 03:02 pm Link