Forums > Critique > Self-Portrait

Model

Xiao Cai

New York, New York, US

Self-Portrait. Welcome any comments and suggestions!

Thanks!

https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/190526/08/5ceab697b7f03_m.jpg

May 26 19 03:35 pm Link

Photographer

Colin Anthony

London, England, United Kingdom

Hey Xiao

Nice image!

A couple of items that may improve it

Shoot angle could be slightly higher losing the shadow below the chin. In general always shoot "slightly" down at the model. Test it for yourself ,you'll see you look better wink

Stand further away from the background... You should always try and stand away from the background (unless you are specifically shooting with a background). The further away the B/G is the lower the shadows. it'll look less like a snap.

You could try tilting your head a little (not a lot!) It can look less formal and more relaxed

I hope these words may help

Regards

Colin

May 29 19 05:42 am Link

Photographer

ROUA IMAGES

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Hi Xiao,
All great suggestions from Colin Anthony.  I only offer the following (and these are only suggestions and opinions based on initial observation and come without knowing your original intent, shooting conditions, equipment available, or purpose behind creating the image):

A less confined shooting area might free up restrictive poses. Maybe put more distance between you and the light source (and backdrop) if possible.  It's a bit hot on the right cheek and forehead;

Color Correction:
Neutralize the fairly heavy orange hue on the skin tone.

Pose:
Arm placement's fine, but - the cinching of the jacket sleeve at the bicep draws my attention to the point that once seen it cannot be "unseen".   A few different poses, angles - maybe the jacket over the shoulder, for example -  if it isn't laying the way you want.

That's about it.
Take 'em with a grain of salt and keep shooting! :-D

May 29 19 08:12 am Link

Model

Xiao Cai

New York, New York, US

Thank Colin Anthony and Roua Images for your comments and suggestions! I really appreciate your help!

May 30 19 02:45 pm Link