Forums > Model Colloquy > Budget for social media use

Photographer

Antonio Barros

Paris, Île-de-France, France

Hi,

I need to do a casting for a small client with a small budget. 
Images will be used only as content at social media platforms of the brand. Not a campaign, not a look book.
The shooting should take 4 hours, max! And the client will publish 5 or 6 pictures over the month.

What is the minimum reasonable rate I should offer for models?

Jul 12 19 04:38 am Link

Photographer

WEST IMAGE

Agoura Hills, California, US

Antonio Barros wrote:
Hi,

I need to do a casting for a small client with a small budget. 
Images will be used only as content at social media platforms of the brand. Not a campaign, not a look book.
The shooting should take 4 hours, max! And the client will publish 5 or 6 pictures over the month.

What is the minimum reasonable rate I should offer for models?

Hi,
Theoretically, it's still a campaign to a degree, albeit on social media's limited venue, with the intended release of 5 or 6 pictures relating to the client's brand over the course of a month.

No reason a standard 1/2 Day Rate wouldn't apply for the shoot time, barring any negotiation for collateral or extended use beyond the initial month but that would have to be something up to the individual model's consideration: pay vs. brand association vs. tear sheet usability, etc.

You have a fantastic eye for model selection.  What are the going rates for models of that caliber that you've worked with in the past?

As relates to the client's overall budget?

Jul 12 19 07:16 am Link

Photographer

Antonio Barros

WEST IMAGE wrote:
You have a fantastic eye for model selection.  What are the going rates for models of that caliber that you've worked with in the past?

As relates to the client's overall budget?

Most of the time magazines/brands organize the casting and pay the models/celebrities. And for tests model agencies pay me.

Jul 12 19 07:55 am Link

Model

Victoria Morrisa

New York, New York, US

Ask the model for her rates after providing her the details of the job.

Jul 12 19 04:43 pm Link

Photographer

Antonio Barros

Victoria Morrisa wrote:
Ask the model for her rates after providing her the details of the job.

Hi Victoria! Thanks!

Asking the rates is for sure the right way to go if you have someone specific in mind.
But I need to launch a casting call and want to offer compensation that won't offend anyone.
I need to give the client some options and I want only models to participate in the casting if they are interested in the proposed compensation.

Jul 13 19 03:31 am Link

Photographer

Eric212Grapher

Saint Louis, Missouri, US

When I list a casting call, I usually specify the compensation as "TBD" (to be determined), and I explain the rate will depend on the model's look and experience.

This may turn off some models from responding, I don't know. But whatever dollar amount you post, you may get dozens of new and inexperienced models applying. You may be willing to sort through them, and attempt to explain why you are offering them below the posted rate (not good).

Jul 14 19 12:10 am Link

Photographer

Emeritus

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

It is common for commercial clients to specify a rate when they book through an agency.  The agency and model then have the option of accepting that rate or not.  I'd suggest you do the same.  Whatever the client's budget allows is the rate offered.

To make the rate contingent on experience is silly and potentially insulting to the model.  You hire the model you want.  If experience is a factor (it often is not) then make is a selection factor, not a compensation factor.

Jul 19 19 10:08 am Link