Forums > Photography Talk > PLEASE HELP - CS-6 photoshop - No longer Working

Photographer

Micro Touch

Lake Havasu City, Arizona, US

I have 2 iMac 27inch computers. I migrated all my files and programs to my newer one a couple years ago and the Photoshop CSX-6 wouldn't open. I tried many hacks and other things and it will NOT open on my:

MacOS High Sierra Version 10.13.6
Retina 5K 27 inch 2017
Processor 4.2 GHz Intel Core i7
Memory 40 GB 2400 MHz DDR4

My older machine:
MacOS High Sierra Version 10.13.3
iMac (27-inch, Mid 2011
Processor 2.7 GHz Intel Core i5
Memory 32 GB 1333 MHz DDR3

The CS-6 runs on this older MAC but at times it lugs down and it is SUPER SLOW... I mean 5 Minutes to open a file. I have changed all the RAM Twice and had it into a shop and can't figure out why. I think it could be the anti-virus Webroot SecureAnywhere software and I’ve tried to remove it but it has never been totally removed.
Any idea how to TOTALLY REMOVE this Anti-Virus Software?

DOES ANYONE have any ideas? Or options for me?

If NOT, where do I go from here? I really don't want to buy a monthly subscription for software I already own and know how to operate.

If I do need to purchase a monthly subscription... What do you guys suggest for an older guy that knows ONLY Photoshop. I've never used any other software in work on my images.

Thanks for your time!

Gary

Aug 15 19 11:35 am Link

Photographer

Red Sky Photography

Germantown, Maryland, US

Last PS that I bought was CS 5 and it still works passably well on that machine.

I've had PS Creative Cloud for a few years and am happy with the program and the price. You get PS and Lightroom for $10 a month. I don't even bother with Lightroom. It gets updated periodically and all my plug ins and actions work seemlessly.

Aug 15 19 12:18 pm Link

Photographer

Brooklyn Bridge Images

Brooklyn, New York, US

I would go with the suggestion in the other thread
Re-install the OS which gets rid of your virus program problem
Then reinstall PS
Should be fine then unless you have some Hardware issue(which is doubtful)

Aug 15 19 01:21 pm Link

Photographer

Chuckarelei

Seattle, Washington, US

Brooklyn Bridge Images wrote:
I would go with the suggestion in the other thread
Re-install the OS which gets rid of your virus program problem
Then reinstall PS
Should be fine then unless you have some Hardware issue(which is doubtful)

A good number of those anti virus softwares themselves are virus.

A friend of mine who worked for Adobe told me that Norton actually wrote some of the viruses out there to sell their own anti-virus programs. Though I cannot confirm that.

Aug 15 19 02:15 pm Link

Photographer

Micro Touch

The problem with re-installing the operating system is that anything over the MacOS High Sierra Version 10.13.6 the Photoshop CS-6 won't work. Apple doesn't support their old operation systems only their latest and I know it won't work if I upgrade it past the MacOS High Sierra Version 10.13.3 that is what took out my new machine was an operating system upgrade!

Still looking for a possible solution,

Thanks Gary

Aug 15 19 02:38 pm Link

Photographer

Micro Touch

Red Sky Photography wrote:
Last PS that I bought was CS 5 and it still works passably well on that machine.

I've had PS Creative Cloud for a few years and am happy with the program and the price. You get PS and Lightroom for $10 a month. I don't even bother with Lightroom. It gets updated periodically and all my plug ins and actions work seemlessly.

Using the Creative Could - Does it operate like CS-6 or what is it exactly? It's hard to tell by reading their website.

Aug 15 19 02:40 pm Link

Photographer

Red Sky Photography

Germantown, Maryland, US

Micro Touch wrote:

Using the Creative Could - Does it operate like CS-6 or what is it exactly? It's hard to tell by reading their website.

It's just like CS 6 only has newer features and improvements, some of which I'll probably never find/use. you can install it on two machines and it is just as fast as a program you load by CD. They have some kind of storage too but I don't use that.

Creative Cloud is the name of all their subscription programs, I just get PS and Lightroom for a $10 monthly fee.

Aug 15 19 04:29 pm Link

Photographer

Shadow Dancer

Bellingham, Washington, US

I used Photoshop up to version CS2 at home and CS4 at work.

Currently I am using Photoshop Elements 2018 on my Mac running 10.13.6 High Sierra.
It does not support CMYK, something I don't need anyway. The toolset is more limited than Photoshop but I've found it capable of doing many things and often there are simple workarounds. It does use current ACR.

I bought it as Pshop Elements 2019 was coming out so it was on sale. You may be able to find an unopened copy or just buy 2019. It is not a subscription, you pay once and own it.

If you are an advanced user it may not provide all the tools you need.

Aug 15 19 04:52 pm Link

Photographer

Michael DBA Expressions

Lynchburg, Virginia, US

I PMed the OP with this info:

Photoshop CS6 runs fine on High Sierra, according to user reports on RoaringApps.com, which tracks such things. His problem on the slow/old Mac is some combination of disk corruption and damaged software, which can be cleaned up and repaired. But he needs to use a software deletion tool such as "App Delete" to remove stuff, and he needs to run "Disk Utility" from the recovery partition of his hard drive to repair the main partition. Until these steps are taken, it won't help him to move to the current Cloud subscription model of Photoshop.

To install PS CS6 on the new machine, it is also necessary to install an older version of Java because the installation, registration, and validation process requires it. After these steps are taken, that old Java can be deleted because it is no longer needed, it just needs to be there during i, r, and v. Remember, we are dealing here with old software in CS6.

The details of this Java business are easily found online, so I won't go into them here. Ditto the running of "Disk Utility," which comes with the Mac OS, but most Mac owners don't know about it because Macs have gotten reliable enough you can go for years without ever needing it. Ditto the Recovery Partition.

For what it is worth, if anybody has a copy of Photoshop CS6 for Mac that they'd like to sell, I'm looking for one. I plan to run it on my new (3 months old) Mac mini running the current Mojave OS, which RoaringApps reports also runs just fine.

Aug 16 19 07:41 am Link

Photographer

PhotoByWayne

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I m still using CS6, although on windows.  I install it each time i upgrade my computer without any issues.  What error messages are you getting?

Aug 16 19 06:47 pm Link

Photographer

JBP Graphics

Victoria, British Columbia, Canada

You can download High Sierra and all its updates here, https://support.apple.com/downloads/highsierra.

And if you only want Sierra that can be found here, https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT208202

However, before you do a nuke and pave I'd suggest running Onyx(which is free) and do some cleaning. One other program that is quite useful in rebuilding the directory which does speed up finding files is Alsoft's DiskWarrior, amongst other tools.

Aug 20 19 02:34 pm Link

Photographer

Rob Photosby

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia

With the amount of memory that you have, CS6 should run fine on both your computers.

I strongly suspect that you have some corruptions on both your hard drives that need to be remedied and/or you have some stray PS files in your system or library folders that are corrupted or in the wrong place or are from an obsolete version of PS and which can be very hard to find.

Mac's own software will remedy simple problems but is rather limited.

Disk Warrior is a program that will fix directory errors (which are far more common that many people imagine).  It has saved my hard drives several times and I highly recommend it.

Drive Genius is also useful.  It is basically a more capable version of your Mac's Disk Utility and can also scan for bad blocks.

I have all of the above software and use them often, so I can recommend them (Mac's disc utility is better than nothing, but it does not do a lot).

If I were you, I would do several things.

First, I would back up your existing hard drives.  You should be doing this anyhow, because all hard drives fail sooner or later, but, it is essential when you try to remedy hard drive errors because occasionally the "fix it"software will create its own problems.

After backing up, I would run Disc Warrior and then Drive Genius.  Depending on your problem, this may be all that you need to do.

If you are still experiencing problems, I would reformat the drive (i.e. erase the drive, so back-ing up is essential) and start again. You could also take this opportunity to make a second partition on the drive to load an older version of Mac OS that you know will run PS6 OK.  (Your desktop will show two hard drives if you make two partitions)

If you have not repartitioned a drive before, it is simple.  Mac's disc utility will allow you to create a second partition when you reformat (you can specify the exact size of the partition if you want).  You install the different operating systems on the different partitions in the normal way.

The installation process will allow you to copy information from another drive (i.e. your back-up) if you want to do so, but I would not do this because there is a likelihood of re-installing the troublesome files that are causing you trouble and so re-creating the problem.  Also, it is quicker to copy the non-operating-system files yourself.

If you want to save things like browser settings, you can copy those beforehand and install them on the new operating systems.  It is not difficult to do and you will find instructions on-line if you google it.

One last bit of advice. Aeroplanes have three sets of controls, so, in case one set fails, there is a back-up of the back-up.  I treat computers the same way, except that I have a back-up of the back-up of the back-up.  In almost 30 years, I have needed the third back-up only once, but the point is that there WAS an occasion when I needed it and, had I not had it, I would have lost everything.

Aug 28 19 08:54 pm Link

Photographer

poiter

Salt Lake City, Utah, US

Before you do a clean re-install of the OS, you should go download the free software superduper and clone your machine to an external hard drive that is the same or larger size. So you can always revert back to what you had if you didn't want to keep the clean reinstall after all. Also when you clone your hard drive to an external hard drive, you can also boot off that external hard drive and use that configuration of OS if you want. To boot of the external hard drive, restart your computer with the external hard drive plugged in at or before the chime sound/apple logo hold down the option key until you eventually see the option to boot of your internal hard drive or your external hard drive, then just choose the external hard drive.

Aug 29 19 08:35 am Link

Photographer

JandRStudios

Houston, Texas, US

Sep 03 19 06:19 pm Link

Photographer

Paul Xanadu Photography

Manchester, England, United Kingdom

I am on Mac OS 10.13.6  you have to update Java. Once Java updated, my CS6 suite Photoshop, InDesign, IIlustrator & Acrobat Pro ... they all works!

High Sierra is the last Mac OS that CS6 will works !  The Mac OS 10.14  kills the CS6 program because it doesn't support 32 bits CS6 program.

I am moving away from Subscription Only program ... too much paying subscriptions will mess up your cash flow!
I have moved to Capture One and Affinity Photo which are great programs without subs .

Sep 08 19 01:16 pm Link