Forums > Model Colloquy > Models not uploading my photos....

Photographer

IMAGINERIES

New York, New York, US

on MM.....After maybe 10 years+ with MM I realized that maybe two or three models have added one or two of our pictures on their port !!! Off course I am aware that the pictures I take may not be what they think would ad to their port as models promoting their look.
I am not loosing sleep over this, but wonder if other photographers have observed a similar situation...

Sep 13 19 07:12 pm Link

Artist/Painter

aquarelle

Chicago, Illinois, US

For the life of me, I can’t imagine why any model wouldn’t want your work in her port.

Sep 13 19 10:09 pm Link

Photographer

Red Sky Photography

Germantown, Maryland, US

Model's choice to put what works for her in her port on MM.

I find many models post more on IG and FB than update their port on here.

When I'm done with a shoot, Model has been paid either in cash or in Images, what she does then is no concern to me.

Sep 14 19 07:18 am Link

Photographer

Eric212Grapher

Saint Louis, Missouri, US

IMAGINERIES wrote:
on MM.....After maybe 10 years+ with MM I realized that maybe two or three models have added one or two of our pictures on their port !!! Off course I am aware that the pictures I take may not be what they think would ad to their port as models promoting their look.
I am not loosing sleep over this, but wonder if other photographers have observed a similar situation...

Seems a bit strange given your other thread about expecting models to reply in this modeling forum, but what the heck...

You have a handful of models who posted your work according to your "Credited Photos" link (upper right of your portfolio page). How many models have posted your images without giving you a credited link? How many might not have added your images here at MM, but have added to their Facebook or Instagram accounts?

It is nice to see the models appreciate your work and post the images, but some models simply do not do this. You own the copyright to the images, and they won't publish the images unless it is clear you granted them permission to do so. While you and I may not object, there is always that one photographer who gets his panties in a wad over such things.

Sep 15 19 11:12 am Link

Photographer

Art Silva

Santa Barbara, California, US

Red Sky Photography wrote:
Model's choice to put what works for her in her port on MM.

I find many models post more on IG and FB than update their port on here.

When I'm done with a shoot, Model has been paid either in cash or in Images, what she does then is no concern to me.

I 100% am on board with this thought. I don't expect any of my work to be posted in portfolios but when it does it's basically icing on the cake and a good pat on the back that I did good.

Sep 16 19 03:38 pm Link

Photographer

Garry k

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Its always nice when a Model posts my Photo of Her - but I am more interested in my own satisfaction with the image

Sep 16 19 07:30 pm Link

Model

Liv Sage

Seattle, Washington, US

We choose what to post in our portfolio based on what we think will get us the best (genre, emotion, standard, etc) offers of work from others. That is how most traveling models I know operate. Many of us also store most of our images on external hard drives and do not have access to them on a regular basis. So we forget about images. Sometimes we receive a huge influx of images and just don't go through them/the email other than to write a quick thank you note.

We also tend to post much more often on instagram than anywhere else. Some models post a fair deal to facebook if they use it a lot for work.

I also photograph models fairly often, and I honestly do not care if they post my images. If I like the image, that is enough for me. It's flattering if they also like the image and post it somewhere, but it's not necessary for my ego to remain intact regarding my work.

Sep 16 19 08:59 pm Link

Photographer

Vector One Photography

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US

There is no rhyme or reason why they pick what they pick. It has always amazed me which images a model likes and which they don't and most of the time it's not what the photographer would pick.

I would not take it as an evaluation of your work.  The only loss is a missed opportunity for marketing purposes as it would give your work more exposure.  I don't know if models or prospective clients search model's ports to find photographers whose work they like. Probably not, so there is no loss other than a bruised ego.

Sep 24 19 07:05 am Link

Photographer

Nor-Cal Photography

Walnut Creek, California, US

Vector One Photography wrote:
There is no rhyme or reason why they pick what they pick. It has always amazed me which images a model likes and which they don't and most of the time it's not what the photographer would pick.

+1

Sep 24 19 10:11 am Link

Photographer

Orca Bay Images

Arcata, California, US

Some might not have any rhyme or reason for choosing what they choose. Most do. But just because their choices aren't the same as yours does not mean they have no rhyme or reason. Their rhyme and their reasoning are their own.

For example, I shot with one Hispanic girl in central California who had up to that point a portfolio of cheap images that used enough makeup to require a spackle knife. There was a very pretty girl somewhere in there and I knew I could bring that out. We had a great shoot and she looked lovely. She seemed very happy with the results, but she didn't use any of the images. She kept loading up with new shots of the same old spackle-knife makeup jobs, only more and more extreme. I thought she was nuts, but then realized that her priorities were just different from mine. I wanted to project her beauty. She wanted to project her gangbanger toughness. I thought she looked like an angry Bozo the Clown. She thought she looked awesome. C'est la vie.

Sep 24 19 11:07 am Link

Photographer

Camera Buff

Maryborough, Queensland, Australia

Nor-Cal Photography wrote:
+1

+2

Sep 26 19 03:19 pm Link

Photographer

PHP-Photography

Vaasa, Ostrobothnia, Finland

Orca Bay Images wrote:
looked like an angry Bozo the Clown.

UK Prime Minister ?

Sep 27 19 01:36 am Link

Photographer

Jarrett Porst

Los Angeles, California, US

There are, many politics in the modeling industry.  It might be that the model is signed with agencies that present dialog limiting the models freedom to shoot with non-signed or competitively signed photographers.  I have one model that never posts my stuff.  I'd like to think, imagine maybe, that my stuff is good enough.  Or, I'm a shit photographer and they wouldn't post my images for peace on earth. 

J.

PS. get over it, keep shooting, continue evolving.

Oct 15 19 06:06 pm Link

Photographer

Angel House Portraits

Orlando, Florida, US

Hardly ever they upload the pictures from our shoot. It doesn't bother me. Sometimes I think they are too lazy to upload or they did not like the outcome. Whichever the reason I just brush it off and continue shooting.

Oct 19 19 05:10 am Link

Photographer

tonyphotog

Boston, Massachusetts, US

In my mind, your question begs the existential question: "Why we do photograph?

Is it to please the model?

Or is it to bring pleasure, satisfaction and bliss to the brain behind the camera?

Unless I am shooting a wedding or a commercial assignment (where the client deserves what the client is paying for), my raison d'etre for shooting is to create something beautiful - something intriguing - something thought provoking - something that stimulates the emotions - in these cases, if the model shares in my pleasure, that is awesome.  If the model does not, no worries - it does not diminish my joy at what I've created.

Oct 23 19 12:33 pm Link

Photographer

Virgil Miller

Redlands, California, US

This

Apr 13 20 04:33 pm Link

Photographer

Camera Buff

Maryborough, Queensland, Australia

I've received 'likes' without a single 'view' being registered.

Many members don't bother to open up the individual thumbnails when viewing portfolios.

Apr 14 20 04:49 am Link

Photographer

MN Photography

Chicago, Illinois, US

Photographers and models often have different criteria for what makes a good photo.  I've had shots where I thought the lighting and composition were just right, then I ask for feedback from the model and she would say something like "My thigh looked fat".

Apr 14 20 09:57 am Link

Photographer

Orca Bay Images

Arcata, California, US

Orca Bay Images wrote:
looked like an angry Bozo the Clown.

PHP-Photography wrote:
UK Prime Minister ?

As an American, I'm currently in no position to mock any other country's head of state.

Apr 14 20 05:09 pm Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

I have found some of my photographs in a model's list.

Apr 15 20 05:38 am Link

Photographer

rowdan2020

Aiken, South Carolina, US

Re "MN":  I understood that the first rule of model photography is you're supposed to ask the model what they think they're good side is. ( I used to think the human body was entirely symmetrical).

Apr 15 20 09:12 am Link

Photographer

Varton Photography

New York, New York, US

I have been  featured in  model portfolios many times without being credited.
But It doesn't bother me at all.
I normally don't care about their reasoning if and when they decide to post my work in their port.
If they don't, I wouldn't feel bruised.
I am more worry about seeing a photo in my credited list that I personally dislike.
I recall one such  I was not particularly very proud of and it was entered  to "DARK IMAGE OF THE DAY"  contest by the model and won. . smile 
Tastes definitely vary.

Apr 15 20 10:49 am Link

Photographer

TaiChiJohn

New York, New York, US

I haven't been doing anything with models in the past (that's why I joined in here, to have a look at how that works), but pretty much everyone I have shot a photo for just for fun has ended up using it as their Facebook profile photo — no worries there.

On the other hand, if I take a photo of someone on the spur of the moment and give them my card, telling them I'd be happy to give them a copy — I pretty much almost never get an email from them. It's a very different world than back when photographers all used film cameras!

More annoying for me is when someone takes a photo of mine and uses it commercially without paying me: regardless of how they they came by the photo, that's still really frustrating. Recently, I had someone use a photo I took of Mantak Chia here in New York (I first met him in 1989, in Toronto) for part of a composite, big (as in, a couple of stories high on the outside of a building big) poster advertising a event with several speakers in London; so that was frustrating enough for me that I emailed the person in his entourage I had initially sent the photo to (having been asked by Mantak for a copy), and asked them not to do that again. Similarly, my step-father-in-law ended up using a photo of mine as the cover for the Japanese production of his play "The Whales of August" (the director selected the photo from a bunch that ended up with David) and although I was given credit for the photo — well, it would have been nice to be paid!

I love photography but incidents like that...well at the very least they force me to re-examine my expectations, which I suppose is a good thing. But I can't say I've ever been annoyed by someone NOT using a photograph I had taken! Maybe I'll eventually find out what that is like, now that I'm a member of Model Mayhem..!

Apr 25 20 01:49 pm Link

Model

Rada-mila

Berlin, Berlin, Germany

I honestly rarely upload new images at all, maybe twice a year, I might have planty of really good images, but I m just happy to have them, I don’t wish to get likes and comments. I have a lot of photos in my portfolio already and I don’t think that uploading new photos brings we new clients right away.
Or what do u think? Do u actually find models through new photo uploads (I don’t even know if there such page here).
And yes I would post on instagram more often then here, but only non nude, or covered nude works.

Jul 01 20 03:54 am Link