Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > Pandemic Warnings

Artist/Painter

Hunter GWPB

King of Prussia, Pennsylvania, US

My employee and I worked separately last Monday, but we were on the same project Tuesday and shared transportation for the more or less 15 minute ride each way.  The work was outdoors but we were in the proximity of each other, as close as a couple of feet for a couple of minutes, multiple times.  We are both vaxxed and boosted.

Wednesday he called in sick and informed me later in the day he tested positive for covid-19.  I checked in with him Friday, he said he was still sick and that it was hitting him pretty hard.  No word since then.

I opted to skip my art collaborative events this week as a result of the exposure and stayed home from dancing Saturday night.  My wife had to get tested Friday before she went to visit her 90+ year old father and her brother who nearly died recently of something unrelated to covid.  He is now doing much better.

I haven't been tested and I haven't displayed any symptoms, which means nothing, but I am isolated most of the time as a matter of lifestyle.  I much prefer the forest over the mall.  Therefore, if I am asymptomatic, I believe it will pass before I am in a position where I must be in contact with other people in an indoor setting.

Cases are again rising and the question of masking remains.  Consequently, this link:

https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsandso … -got-covid

May 08 22 09:42 am Link

Photographer

LightDreams

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

I'm sorry to hear that Hunter GWPB...

I am somewhat reassured though after an 85 year old, VERY medically vulnerable family member, recently caught it.  Even though he was double vaxxed and boosted, I thought that would be a horrible scenario.

Fortunately, even with his vulnerable physical condition, as a result of his extensive protection, he got through it pretty quickly.  Plus it's likely that he had a lower exposure amount with his KN95 masking.  Everyone else, including myself, was quickly tested (and retested) and two more of our group had it but didn't even know they had it (they were in relatively good health, use KN95 masks, but are also all double vaxxed and boosted).

By the way, the one family member (on the other side of the family) that we lost previously to Covid, turned out to have been against Covid vaccines.  She kept that a secret from most of the family (as they would have strongly disagreed).  With the distances involved, it was easier for her to keep that secret.  So we didn't learn about it until weeks after she was gone.  She also smoked, which you would think played a role in her lung's health.

So after seeing our very vulnerable (but fully vaxxed) 85 year old, in what in pre-vaxxed times would have certainly been deadly in his particular condition, AND finding out that the (just over 60 year old) family member that we lost wasn't actually vaxxed, I'm now considerably more comfortable when someone who is well protected catches it.

But I really wish more people would get the whole vaccine set, including the boosters, that they're eligible for.  When you look at the breakdown of the current deaths, it makes a BIG difference.

And yes, when I'm in a public indoor setting, I'm still wearing my KN95 mask.  Around my particular area of Vancouver, that still seems to be the norm when shopping, etc (masks are now optional).  But as the weather is nice, we're also spending more time outdoors going for walks along the water, etc, without masks (extremely low risk).

May 08 22 01:10 pm Link

Photographer

rfordphotos

Antioch, California, US

The White House opens up another round of free, at-home virus tests to order through the Postal Service.
----  https://www.nytimes.com/2022/05/17/us/p … biden.html

The latest round of free Covid home tests is now available--- this time they will send 8 total tests, as opposed to the four they sent in the first two rounds.

The tests are available at:

https://www.covid.gov/tests

May 17 22 02:44 pm Link

Photographer

rfordphotos

Antioch, California, US

A grim milestone--- using the same data source I have used for most of this pandemic, (for consistency) --- we have now officially crossed the grim milestone of ONE MILLION Covid19 deaths in the US.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Total US Covid19 Cases

Total US Covid19 Deaths

----  https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/map.html
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

A lot of water under the bridge since we started this thread--- we still face a devastating disease- but we have so many tools available now to lessen it's impact.

We have powerful, effective vaccines that have proven HIGHLY effective at reducing the severity of the disease, greatly reducing the number of folks who develop severe symptoms requiring hospital stays, and greatly reducing deaths as a result.

We have better testing availability --- as evidenced by the above free tests available, and the insurance companies covering testing costs for many more.

We have anti-viral pills now available that when taken early after testing positive greatly reduce the odds of the disease progressing to more severe stages.

Do your self a favor- take advantage of these tools--- if you havent been vaccinated- now is a great time to get those shots, if you have been vaccinated but not "boosted" now is a great time to get that boost. If you are eligible for the second "boost"- take advantage when you can.

We face a constantly mutating virus- it isnt going away- we will always be forced to be vigilant against the next variant- it is now just part of life.

But we are so much more prepared to battle this virus than we were when this thread started in early 2020.

May 17 22 03:07 pm Link

Artist/Painter

Hunter GWPB

King of Prussia, Pennsylvania, US

May 18 22 05:54 am Link

Photographer

Focuspuller

Los Angeles, California, US

Lest we forget:

BIRX, TRUMP’S COVID COORDINATOR, HAS TOLD CONGRESSIONAL INVESTIGATORS THAT THE WHITE HOUSE ASKED HER TO WATER DOWN GUIDANCE TO STATES.

https://www.nytimes.com/live/2022/06/23 … d-guidance

How many deaths the result of Orange Fuckface's staggeringl malevolent incompetence? In any other civilized country, this walking shitstain would be behind bars.

Jun 23 22 10:35 am Link

Photographer

rfordphotos

Antioch, California, US

Focuspuller wrote:
Lest we forget:

BIRX, TRUMP’S COVID COORDINATOR, HAS TOLD CONGRESSIONAL INVESTIGATORS THAT THE WHITE HOUSE ASKED HER TO WATER DOWN GUIDANCE TO STATES.

https://www.nytimes.com/live/2022/06/23 … d-guidance

How many deaths the result of Orange Fuckface's staggeringl malevolent incompetence? In any other civilized country, this walking shitstain would be behind bars.

It amazes me- no, disgusts me that here in June 2022--- after layer upon layer of Trump's  criminal incompetence has been exposed---- after countless REPUBLICAN members of his administration and his White House Staff have TESTIFIED UNDER OATH about his complete disregard for the Constitution, for the laws of the land --- hell, for simple common decency----that folks like the drooling idiots of the Texas Republican party and millions like them are STILL falling for his con game.

It sickens me that it is BIG news that he fell out of the LEAD in ONE TINY STATE (New Hampshire where DeSantis leads for 2024 nomination)--- but remains favored in the rest of the country for the 2024 nomination.

Why would ANYBODY want to return a criminal thug who wants to be KING to office?

Jun 23 22 11:07 am Link

Photographer

Focuspuller

Los Angeles, California, US

rfordphotos wrote:

It amazes me- no, disgusts me that here in June 2022--- after layer upon layer of Trump's  criminal incompetence has been exposed---- after countless REPUBLICAN members of his administration and his White House Staff have TESTIFIED UNDER OATH about his complete disregard for the Constitution, for the laws of the land --- hell, for simple common decency----that folks like the drooling idiots of the Texas Republican party and millions like them are STILL falling for his con game.

It sickens me that it is BIG news that he fell out of the LEAD in ONE TINY STATE (New Hampshire where DeSantis leads for 2024 nomination)--- but remains favored in the rest of the country for the 2024 nomination.

Why would ANYBODY want to return a criminal thug who wants to be KING to office?

I have been a close follower of politics in this county since the assassinations of JFK, RFK, and MLK. I lived through Watergate. I have never felt pessimistic about America's ability to self-correct and bend towards "a more perfect Union."

Until now.

Jun 23 22 11:28 am Link

Photographer

rfordphotos

Antioch, California, US

oops-

while I stand by everything I posted- I apologize for posting politics in the Covid thread.

Sorry folks,

Jun 23 22 11:51 am Link

Photographer

LightDreams

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

New COVID BA.4 and BA.5 variants have "escaped" existing protections and are predicted to dominate in the U.S. within the next few weeks.  Last week these two new variants were already responsible for 35% of new infections in the U.S. (up from 29% the week before)

The key takeaways are this:

- Vaccinations and previous infections will NOT prevent you from being infected with these new variants.

- BUT vaccinations / boosters WILL help reduce your odds of being hospitalized and/or the risk of death.

Unlike Omicron, where being fully vaccinated and boosted meant that you might not even know if you had become infected, it appears that with these two variants those same people may become sick for a week.  But far less likely to become seriously ill.

-  It's a very serious risk for those that have no vaccinations, and is a "sliding scale of risk" for those that aren't fully vaccinated and boosted.  If you have not completed your list of COVID vaccinations, it's strongly advisable to do so.  And soon.

- Various efforts are under way on possible alternate forms of booster shots, hopefully for the fall.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/06/22/health/b … index.html

Jun 23 22 12:51 pm Link

Photographer

DCurtis

San Cristóbal de las Casas, Chiapas, Mexico

it really is hopeless - maybe we should all give up - give up on this pathetic existence.

or - we can choose to live as heroes.

we survived Nagasaki and Hiroshima,

we survived Dresden and Auschwitz,

we survived the invasion by Europe and the Aztec Empire,

etc.

we survive.

Jun 25 22 10:37 pm Link