Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > Pandemic Warnings

Photographer

rfordphotos

Antioch, California, US

The new normal. Folks are tired of being cooped up, we -are- social animals after all..... even when common sense says stay home---- we go out.

We might be able to manage the resulting cases if we get REAL good and REAL efficient with our contact tracing....

This is in Michigan, but I bet it will play out like this across the country.

The worst part--- this bar was supposedly following all the recommended guidelines for re-opening--- they did what they were told would work- and it didnt.

Patrons are asked to self-quarantine after about 85 people who visited a Michigan bar get Covid-19

By Sheena Jones, CNN
Updated 5:11 PM ET,
Sat June 27, 2020
---  https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/27/us/michi … index.html

(CNN)People who visited a bar in East Lansing, Michigan, are being asked to self-quarantine because roughly 85 people contracted Covid-19 after visiting the establishment this month, a health official says.
[...]
"Given the number of cases in this outbreak, we consider this a higher risk exposure than a typical visit to a restaurant or bar," Vail said. "There are likely more people infected with Covid-19 not yet identified."

The bar followed safety guidelines for employees, capacity guidelines and table spacing, the statement said.
[...]
---------------------------------------

We here in the US are not the only ones with "quarantine fatigue" the is what is going on in the UK......

https://arc-anglerfish-washpost-prod-washpost.s3.amazonaws.com/public/XMXHLVFXQII6VGQ52PNRZPQHZY.jpg
--  Crowds gather on the beach Thursday in Bournemouth, England. (Andrew Matthews/AP)

Jun 27 20 02:27 pm Link

Photographer

rfordphotos

Antioch, California, US

You guys make your own decisions... Trump's administration tells us it is fading away, "overblown" media hype, etc etc...
The lead stories today are about the tightening protections around Trump against the virus....then they cancel Pence's campaign trips--- Which is it Cpl. Bonespur--- is it dangerous or is it Media hype?

Headlines from today's Washington Post:
--  Texas hospitalizations hit a new high for 16th consecutive day
--  Texas mayor orders overnight curfew amid coronavirus concerns
--  Florida again sets record for new cases amid reopening delays; hospitalizations in Arizona reach an all-time high

----  https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2 … GGQRY5LMQY

-------------------------------------------

Headlines from Today, CNN:

--  Trump campaign postpones Vice President's events in Florida and Arizona due to surge in coronavirus cases
--  Washington state to pause moving to phase 4 as Covid-19 cases rise, governor says
--  Miami-Dade County mayor is concerned about spike in Covid-19 cases among younger people
--  California records single day increase of nearly 6,000 positive cases of Covid-19
--  Florida sets new daily record with 9,585 Covid-19 cases

----  https://www.cnn.com/world/live-news/cor … c45157f5df
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Actual Coronavirus Infections Vastly Undercounted, C.D.C. Data Shows
----   https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/27/heal … e=Homepage

Jun 27 20 03:04 pm Link

Photographer

LightDreams

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

(CNN)  "Only two US states are reporting a decline in new coronavirus cases"

"Only two US states are reporting a decline in new coronavirus cases compared to last week -- Connecticut and Rhode Island.

A staggering rise was reported in 36 states, including Florida, which some experts have cautioned could be the next epicenter.

Florida reported 9,585 new coronavirus cases Saturday, a single-day record high since the start of the pandemic. The number rivals that of New York's peak in daily cases in early April."
[...]

"That's all as the US broke another record, reporting the highest number of new cases in a single day Friday with at least 40,173 new infections."
[...]

"The US has now hit more than 2.5 million infections and at least 125,539 deaths, according to Johns Hopkins University."
[...]

"States hit pause on reopening"

"At least 12 states halted or rolled back their reopening plans in hopes of curbing the spread of the virus."
[...]

"We've been stressing avoiding the three Cs which are: closed spaces with poor ventilation, crowded places with many people nearby and close-contact settings, such as close-range conversations."
[...]

Source:
https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/28/health/u … index.html

Jun 28 20 03:28 am Link

Photographer

LightDreams

Don't worry, your President has been working hard.

Fighting to protect statues...

Oh, and asking the Supreme Court to completely strike down the Affordable Care Act (Obamacare), in the middle of a pandemic.

---------

You just can't make this stuff up...

Jun 28 20 03:38 am Link

Photographer

IMAGINERIES

New York, New York, US

When enough will be enough?!….Oh this virus is spoiling our summer fun!! Poor little things!! Forcing me to wear a mask is like not allowing me to carry  a gun! I have the right to do WHAT I WANT!! And on and on...Bunch of T..Holes…
On the positive side, affecting the mostly the elderly and the minorities is kind of convenient for some administration.
               We are facing the perfect storm, a pandemic we were not prepared for, one of the worst economic disaster coming.
               A totally inept Washington(am being kind) and a president who should be in the hand psychiatrists care.
               And a country who can only agree on disagreeing
                                               Mr. President  wear a mask!! you look stupid even without one so what's to loose 
                                               You may even save the lives of some of your remaining worshipers.

Jun 28 20 05:10 am Link

Artist/Painter

Hunter GWPB

King of Prussia, Pennsylvania, US

Jun 28 20 08:21 am Link

Photographer

rfordphotos

Antioch, California, US

LightDreams wrote:
Don't worry, your President has been working hard.

[...]

You just can't make this stuff up...

United States COVID-19 Statistics
Updated Jun 28, 2020 @ 1:17pm EDT

Population  330,756,000

Cases 2,530,587 Total

Deaths 125,630 Total

---- More than TEN MILLION cases of Covid-19 worldwide, with nearly a HALF MILLION DEAD.

---- More than TWO AND A HALF MILLION cases of COVID-19 in the United States, and more than ONE HUNDRED TWENTY-FIVE THOUSAND DEAD.

Literally HUNDREDS of THOUSANDS of Americans peacefully protesting SYSTEMIC RACIAL VIOLENCE in police and judicial systems across America.

And the most important thing Trump can find to "work on"?

Signing an "executive order" protecting not the citizens of the country he was elected to serve---- nope.... He is being sure the monuments to the TRAITORS who tried to destroy the United States, the men who fought AGAINST the United States, the men who PROTECTED the system of slavery and racial injustice---- those are the people Trump works to protect.

 6 MONTHS: 3 WEEKS: 2 DAYS: 05 HOURS: 45 MINUTES until January 20, 2021 a day we have a chance to start over.

Jun 28 20 10:23 am Link

Photographer

Focuspuller

Los Angeles, California, US

LightDreams wrote:
Fighting to protect statues....

...of TRAITORS

Jun 28 20 10:28 am Link

Photographer

Shadow Dancer

Bellingham, Washington, US

The Trump "team" is fighting hard to prevent infection too... oh, wait...

https://www.yahoo.com/huffpost/tulsa-so … 21089.html

Jun 28 20 10:30 am Link

Photographer

rfordphotos

Antioch, California, US

ethasleftthebuilding wrote:
The whole bunch, "experts" included, have been telling lie after lie after lie this whole time.  They can't even seem to be consistent with their lies.  From their banning travel from China is wrong, falsified death projections and knee jerk reaction shutdown to Fauci's lie that we don't need masks to save them for medical staff, it's been one BS line after another.  Moving COVID-19 positive patients into nursing homes.  People dying alone in hospitals and prohibited to hold a funeral while large funerals and mass demonstrations all across the US are okay.  Hundreds of thousands of people can mill around in Wal-Marts across the country every day while small local businesses are forced to close, taking away everything those owners have.  How many children have been abused or committed suicide during this lockdown for your own safety?  The list goes on and on.

Trump and Pence BOTH continue saying the virus is "fading" away. The Fox "news" talking heads continue calling it a hoax.

But these are COLD HARD NUMBERS. Not "opinions", not "gut feelings". FACTS.
-------------------

The seven-day-average for the number of new coronavirus cases in the United States hit an all-time high this week — a jump primarily fueled by large increases in the country's three most populous states: California, Texas and Florida.

All three states reported their largest case increases of the pandemic last week, although case increases are not always indicative of spread of the virus since case totals will increase as testing increases. However, hospitalizations and the percentage of positive tests are also trending upwards in the three states, so the case increases cannot simply be attributed to increased testing.

Here's a breakdown of where the three states stand in the most recent percent positivity and hospitalization figures compared to where the states stood at the beginning of June. All data comes from Johns Hopkins University and the COVID Tracking Project.

California

Seven-day average for percent positivity of tests on June 1: 4.4%
Seven-day average for percent positivity of tests on June 25: 5.7% (29.5% increase)

Seven-day average for hospitalizations on June 1: 3,014.3 patients
Seven-day average for hospitalizations on June 25: 3,907.6 patients (29.6% increase)

Florida

Seven-day average for percent positivity of tests on June 1: 3.5%
Seven-day average for percent positivity of tests on June 25: 14.1% (302.9% increase)

Seven-day average for hospitalizations on June 1: 10,180 patients
Seven-day average for hospitalizations on June 25: 13,761 patients (35.2% increase)

Texas

Seven-day average for percent positivity of tests on June 1: 5.4%
Seven-day average for percent positivity of tests on June 25: 12.6% (133.3% increase)

Seven-day average for hospitalizations on June 1: 1,714.7 patients
Seven-day average for hospitalizations on June 25: 4,098.4 patients (139% increase)

On Friday, both Texas Gov. Gregg Abbott and Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis reimposed certain restrictions in order to slow the spread of the virus. Texas has closed all its bars and reduced restaurant capacity back down to 50%, and Florida has suspended alcohol sales at bars.

In California, Gov. Gavin Newsom directed Imperial County — the state's coronavirus hotspot — to return to a strict-shelter-in-place order. Imperial County, located on California's southern border, has struggled to contain the virus in recent weeks after local officials attributed hospitalization surges to United States citizens living in Mexicali, Mexico, getting infected and coming across the border for treatment.
[...]

----  https://www.sfgate.com/news/editorspick … 370910.php

Jun 28 20 10:55 am Link

Clothing Designer

Baanthai

Bangkok, Bangkok, Thailand

One of the funniest public mask tantrums I’ve seen yet. “Karen” warning.

https://www.reddit.com/r/FuckYouKaren/c … for_being/

Jun 28 20 03:20 pm Link

Photographer

Shadow Dancer

Baanthai wrote:

It might be funnier if it were not so sad.
Today was one of many times recently that I've seen a young mother with her infant entering a supermarket and neither the mother or the child have masks or any sort of protection.

I find that deeply troubling, it should be instinct that a mother would want to protect her baby.

Jun 28 20 04:02 pm Link

Artist/Painter

Hunter GWPB

Baanthai wrote:

After checking out the obnoxious woman in your video, I followed a thread to this:
https://www.reddit.com/r/FuckYouKaren/c … _a_lawyer/

Jun 28 20 04:03 pm Link

Photographer

Shadow Dancer

Well, we are still the BEST right here in the Good Ol' United States of Merika.
Y'all want you some infection, maybe some death or permanent lung damage? We LEAD the WORLD!!!!!

https://www.yahoo.com/news/china-virus- … 31808.html

Jun 28 20 08:40 pm Link

Photographer

LightDreams

(The Guardian)
"Fauci doubts effectiveness of coronavirus vaccine in US due to anti-vaxxers"

"America’s leading public health expert suggests vaccine would not be fully effective and that US skepticism would thwart effort

The US is “unlikely” to achieve herd immunity to the coronavirus even with a vaccine, according to the country’s leading public health expert, who warned that a “general anti-science, anti-authority, anti-vaccine feeling” is likely to thwart vaccination efforts.

In an interview with CNN, Dr Anthony Fauci also said people not wearing masks was “a recipe for disaster” and said of the Trump administration’s attempts at contact tracing: “I don’t think we’re doing very well.”
[,,,]

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/ … th-vaccine

Jun 29 20 09:25 am Link

Photographer

LightDreams

LightDreams wrote:
"Fauci doubts effectiveness of coronavirus vaccine in US due to anti-vaxxers"

I realized that headline could be misleading.  Presumably the vaccines would still be effective for those getting the vaccine...

The difference would be that with so many people not taking the vaccine, it would still spread and be an issue for the country as a whole.

So when there's a good, scientifically credible, COVID-19 vaccine, get it!  Along with the (presumably) annual updated booster shots, similar to the flu.  Although that last part is still based on their current "best guesses", they still don't have enough data yet to really know how long it will be good for.

Jun 29 20 01:08 pm Link

Clothing Designer

GRMACK

Bakersfield, California, US

You can look around the web and find China is beginning to inject their military personnel with a vaccine.  Some trials also running in Canada, but Chinese military may be the big test group numbering in the millions.

https://www.jpost.com/international/cov … ina-633171

https://fortune.com/2020/06/29/china-co … -military/

Jun 29 20 02:00 pm Link

Photographer

Shadow Dancer

LightDreams wrote:

I realized that headline could be misleading.  Presumably the vaccines would still be effective for those getting the vaccine...

The difference would be that with so many people not taking the vaccine, it would still spread and be an issue for the country as a whole.

So when there's a good, scientifically credible, COVID-19 vaccine, get it!  Along with the (presumably) annual updated booster shots, similar to the flu.  Although that last part is still based on their current "best guesses", they still don't have enough data yet to really know how long it will be good for.

This fall, when flu season hits and COVID_19 is still presumably raging along, some people will get both at once. Many will get one or the other although masks and gloves could very well reduce transmission of the flu.

Those who do not get the flu vaccine are susceptable to a previously unknown circumstance.

Some years, I've waited a few weeks to get the flu shot, this year I will get one as soon as it is available.

Jun 29 20 03:06 pm Link

Clothing Designer

Baanthai

GRMACK wrote:
You can look around the web and find China is beginning to inject their military personnel with a vaccine.  Some trials also running in Canada, but Chinese military may be the big test group numbering in the millions.

https://www.jpost.com/international/cov … ina-633171

https://fortune.com/2020/06/29/china-co … -military/

A section from the Fortune article:

CanSino’s Ad5-nCoV candidate has long been China’s leading COVID-19 vaccine candidate, after it became the first in the world to begin clinical trials on March 16. The company conducted Phase I and II trials in Wuhan, China, and published the results of the trials in The Lancet medical journal.

In mid-May, CanSino also announced a partnership with the National Research Council of Canada and got the green light to begin clinical trials with Canadian patients. The trials are being conducted over a six-month period in partnership with researchers at Dalhousie University in Halifax, Nova Scotia.

Vaccines are proceeding at a breakneck pace. Not surprised. AstraZenega (British pharma corporation) just announced that they will not seek a profit if their vaccine is successful.

I watched the Fauci interview on CNN. Fauci said he hopes any vaccine is at least 70-75% effective at a minimum. He also said that if 30% of the population refuses to take a vaccine, we won't reach heard immunity with a 70-75% effectiveness. How many in the US will take a Chinese vaccine even if shown to be safe and effective? (Me!) And that vaccine may well be the product of research and development from the very Wuhan virology laboratory that is subject to so many conspiracy theories.

Jun 29 20 04:12 pm Link

Photographer

rfordphotos

Antioch, California, US

Baanthai wrote:
[...]

Vaccines are proceeding at a breakneck pace. Not surprised. AstraZenega (British pharma corporation) just announced that they will not seek a profit if their vaccine is successful.

I watched the Fauci interview on CNN. Fauci said he hopes any vaccine is at least 70-75% effective at a minimum. He also said that if 30% of the population refuses to take a vaccine, we won't reach heard immunity with a 70-75% effectiveness. How many in the US will take a Chinese vaccine even if shown to be safe and effective? (Me!) And that vaccine may well be the product of research and development from the very Wuhan virology laboratory that is subject to so many conspiracy theories.

I will be first in line, and I do not care where it is from, as long as I am convinced it has been appropriately  and legitimately tested... (not Trump certified, "greatest the world has ever seen", but scientifically tested)

Jun 29 20 06:15 pm Link

Photographer

Shadow Dancer

If the data is good, well vetted by several sources, I am in.

The most difficult aspect to test is how long will immunity last? That would take time and multiple tests to establish.

Still, I'd get the vaccine and probably continue to wear a mask until more is learned.

Jun 29 20 07:17 pm Link

Photographer

Shadow Dancer

Since this thread is titled "Pandemic Warnings"...

https://www.yahoo.com/news/swine-flu-fo … 27669.html

Yikes!!! I hope they contain it.

Jun 30 20 11:12 am Link

Photographer

LightDreams

Shadow Dancer wrote:
Since this thread is titled "Pandemic Warnings"...

https://www.yahoo.com/news/swine-flu-fo … 27669.html

Yikes!!! I hope they contain it.

There are a few articles on it today.  The best news is that they still haven't found any cases of it transmitting from human to human.  Hope it stays that way!

Jun 30 20 11:51 am Link

Photographer

Shadow Dancer

"We just need more optimism" says the pseudo-libertarion with free health care...

https://www.yahoo.com/news/rand-paul-co … 51331.html

Jun 30 20 01:23 pm Link

Photographer

rfordphotos

Antioch, California, US

Shadow Dancer wrote:
"We just need more optimism" says the pseudo-libertarion with free health care...

https://www.yahoo.com/news/rand-paul-co … 51331.html

Rand Paul is an idiot, just like his father before him.

Optimism is a good thing when it is founded in reality. Optimism in the face of a tragedy CAUSED by blind optimism is criminal.

This is the reality- Trump has made the USA Number One--- in Covid-19 cases, and deaths. The chart says it all.

https://arc-anglerfish-washpost-prod-washpost.s3.amazonaws.com/public/VRZXBG7GWJBT7JB7WPXPX2BAP4.png

Jul 01 20 03:37 am Link

Photographer

diephoanghai

Hà Nội, Đồng bằng sông Hồng, Vietnam

Post hidden on Jul 02, 2020 08:34 pm
Reason: violates rules

Jul 01 20 04:17 am Link

Photographer

Shadow Dancer

https://static.independent.co.uk/s3fs-public/thumbnails/image/2020/03/20/15/trump-reddit-coronavirus-statements.png?w660

Jul 01 20 10:13 am Link

Photographer

rfordphotos

Antioch, California, US

Our performance as a nation against this virus has made us the laughingstock of the entire world.

Those "third-world sh****les" Trump so loved to denigrate have easily out performed his administration's dim-witted, fantasy based "war" against Covid-19 .

As the media has been saying---- He got his Wall.... except our neighbors wont ALLOW Americans in.....

The experts warned us, loudly, that if we "re-opened" too quickly it could easily backfire---- How many states retreated today from re-opening? Did Trump hear the experts?

Guess he wasnt briefed.

------------------------------------------------------
It took a little more than two months for the US to record its first 48,000 cases. More than that were just reported today alone.
----  https://www.cnn.com/

US sees a record number of new coronavirus cases reported in a single day

By Cheri Mossburg, Ralph Ellis,
Amanda Watts and Steve Almasy, CNN
Updated 9:34 PM ET, Wed July 1, 2020

(CNN)The United States on Wednesday saw a record number -- 48,477 -- of new coronavirus cases reported in a single day, according to data complied by Johns Hopkins University.

Wednesday's total eclipses the previous high of new cases reached on June 26, when 45,255 new coronavirus cases were reported across the US.

It took a little more than two months for the US to record its first 48,000 cases, the university's data says.

There have been 2,683,894 cases of coronavirus in the country, according to Johns Hopkins University. More than 128,000 people have died.

At least five states -- Arizona, California, North Carolina, Tennessee, Texas -- had record-high totals of new case reports on Wednesday.
[...]

Jul 01 20 08:43 pm Link

Photographer

rfordphotos

Antioch, California, US

United States COVID-19 Statistics
Updated Jul 2, 2020 @ 10:25am EDT
Population  330,756,000

Cases: 2,686,928 Total

Deaths: 128,064 Total

----  https://covidusa.net/

Perspective:

with 2.6 MILLION confirmed cases....

that would be like EVERY SINGLE RESIDENT of Wyoming, Vermont, District of Colombia and Alaska COMBINED infected with the coronavirus.

Or EVERY SINGLE PERSON in Chicago, Ill. being infected...

With 128,000 DEAD....

that would be like EVERY SINGLE RESIDENT OF: Athens, Ga. or Thousand Oaks, Ca. or Lafayette, La. or Topeka, Ks. or Wilmington, NC or Abilene, Tx, or Hartford, Ct or Allentown, Pa. or Ann Arbor Mi. DEAD----every single one, dead...

Jul 02 20 08:04 am Link

Photographer

Focuspuller

rfordphotos wrote:
At least five states -- Arizona, California, North Carolina, Tennessee, Texas -- had record-high totals of new case reports on Wednesday.
[...]

Not to worry. Its just EMBERS.

Jul 02 20 09:48 am Link

Photographer

rfordphotos

Antioch, California, US

I give you the STUPIDITY of youth---

I hope the involved "students" dont/didnt KILL a responsible ADULT.

I hope they are ALL expelled from the college, and enjoy their lives flipping burgers somewhere...

This is why we are in trouble. This is TOTALLY predictable behavior when you send the messages Trump has sent.

Officials: Students in Alabama threw COVID contest parties
----  https://www.sfgate.com/news/article/Off … 381555.php

July 2, 2020 10:04 a.m.

https://s.hdnux.com/photos/57/04/55/12340054/3/1700x0.jpg
--- Party organizers purposely invited guests who tested positive for COVID-19 in Alabama, according to officials.
----Georgijevic/Getty Images----

TUSCALOOSA, Ala. (AP) — Several college students in an Alabama city organized “COVID-19” parties as a contest to see who would get the virus first, officials said.

Tuscaloosa City Councilor Sonya McKinstry said students hosted the parties to intentionally infect each other with the new coronavirus, news outlets reported.

McKinstry said party organizers purposely invited guests who tested positive for COVID-19. She said the students put money in a pot and whoever got COVID first would get the cash.

"It makes no sense,” McKinstry said. “They’re intentionally doing it.”

Tuscaloosa Fire Chief Randy Smith confirmed the incidents to the City Council on Tuesday.
[...]

Jul 02 20 11:12 am Link

Photographer

rfordphotos

Antioch, California, US

Focuspuller wrote:

Not to worry. Its just EMBERS.

yup- a few hot spots--- flare ups--- clusters....
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"On June 1, Florida officials announced 667 new coronavirus cases. On July 1, they added more than 6,500. Today they reported over 10,100, a record.

In Texas, there were 1,100 new cases at the start of last month. On Wednesday, more than 8,100. In Georgia, it went from 700 to 2,300. And in California, where some newly reopened businesses were again being shut down, new cases went from about 2,500 to 7,600."
----  https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/02/worl … e=Homepage

Jul 02 20 11:22 am Link

Photographer

Shadow Dancer

rfordphotos wrote:
I give you the STUPIDITY of youth---

I hope the involved "students" dont/didnt KILL a responsible ADULT.

I hope they are ALL expelled from the college, and enjoy their lives flipping burgers somewhere...

This is why we are in trouble. This is TOTALLY predictable behavior when you send the messages Trump has sent.

Officials: Students in Alabama threw COVID contest parties
----  https://www.sfgate.com/news/article/Off … 381555.php

July 2, 2020 10:04 a.m.

--- Party organizers purposely invited guests who tested positive for COVID-19 in Alabama, according to officials.
----Georgijevic/Getty Images----

TUSCALOOSA, Ala. (AP) — Several college students in an Alabama city organized “COVID-19” parties as a contest to see who would get the virus first, officials said.

Tuscaloosa City Councilor Sonya McKinstry said students hosted the parties to intentionally infect each other with the new coronavirus, news outlets reported.

McKinstry said party organizers purposely invited guests who tested positive for COVID-19. She said the students put money in a pot and whoever got COVID first would get the cash.

"It makes no sense,” McKinstry said. “They’re intentionally doing it.”

Tuscaloosa Fire Chief Randy Smith confirmed the incidents to the City Council on Tuesday.
[...]

At least twice in this thread I have predicted that COVID_19 will eventually increase the average IQ of the American People.
It seemed pretty obvious to me, given the people I see around me every day.

This is a much bigger failure that just the current Adminstration. Our Education system is somewhat above 3rd World but not at all above many 3rd World countries. My brother worked in Tech/Software development in Silcon Valley. Many of the best (and best paid) techs got pushed out when companies began hiring techs from India that were very well trained by the public education system in India and were willing to work for much lower salaries. That single circumstance is a scathing indictment of our substandard attempts to educate people. Idiocracy? We got that...

Jul 02 20 11:41 am Link

Artist/Painter

Hunter GWPB

Pence redefines the word "pandemic."  big_smile

“It’s not one large pandemic, but rather pandemics that emerge individually,” Pence said. (According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, a pandemic is an “epidemic that has spread over several countries or continents.”)

Jul 02 20 03:45 pm Link

Photographer

Shadow Dancer

Hunter  GWPB wrote:

“It’s not one large pandemic, but rather pandemics that emerge individually,” Pence said. (According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, a pandemic is an “epidemic that has spread over several countries or continents.”)

It is likely that the reason Pence is percieved as being not quite as dumb as Trump is due to his tendency to not say very much most of the time.

Jul 02 20 05:26 pm Link

Clothing Designer

Baanthai

rfordphotos wrote:

We're doomed. Fucking doomed. I'm getting drunk tonight.

Jul 02 20 07:18 pm Link

Photographer

Focuspuller

rfordphotos wrote:
----Georgijevic/Getty Images----[...]

Looks like a stock photo to me. Just sayin'

Jul 02 20 07:52 pm Link

Photographer

Focuspuller

Hunter  GWPB wrote:
)

Honestly, Pence redefines the word "Christian."

Jul 02 20 07:56 pm Link

Photographer

Joe Tomasone

Spring Hill, Florida, US

Moderator Warning!
Remember: Politics are not permitted!

Keep the discussion on the health aspects, not the political ones. 

This thread is ---> <---- that close to being locked and yanked.

Jul 02 20 08:33 pm Link

Photographer

LightDreams

"Study confirms new version of coronavirus spreads faster, but doesn't make people sicker"

"(CNN) A global study has found strong evidence that a new form of the coronavirus has spread from Europe to the US. The new mutation makes the virus more likely to infect people but does not seem to make them any sicker than earlier variations of the virus, an international team of researchers reported Thursday.

"It is now the dominant form infecting people,"
[...]

"We do know that the new virus is fitter. It doesn't look at first glance as if it is worse," Saphire said.

"The mutation affects the spike protein -- the structure the virus uses to get into the cells it infects. Now the researchers are checking to see whether this affects whether the virus can be controlled by a vaccine. Current vaccines being tested mostly target the spike protein, but they were made using older strains of the virus."
[...]

"No effect on patient survival"
[...]

"Three to nine times more infectious"

"The new version seems to multiply faster in the upper respiratory tract -- the nose, sinuses and throat -- which would explain why it passes around more easily, the researchers said.

But tests on 1,000 hospitalized coronavirus patients in Britain showed those infected with the new version did not fare any worse than those who caught the original strain."
[...]

Source: CNN (tonight's headlines)
https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/02/health/c … index.html

Jul 02 20 10:35 pm Link