Forums > Critique > Serious Critique > Looking to Improve My Work, Please Critique

Photographer

VidaLigera

Dallas, Texas, US

Hello everyone,

I am looking to improve my work and break into the boudoir industry.  Any suggestions would be helpful with positions, lighting, and so forth.  The shoots are not intended to be sexy per se, but more of a personal approach that hopefully represents the personality of the subject.  I know that it is limited from each model but hopefully it gives an idea of how I shoot and what my style currently is.

All shots are using natural light with the exception of UniquelyGrim which was shot indoors with flash, and Dawn Melanie and JodiJova which were shot outside with the addition of some flash.

I much prefer to use natural light in my shooting.  I do not have my own studio space and work around the locations as best I can.

I am also looking to change my avatar to better represent my work. 

Thank you for your time

-Kevin

Mar 30 20 07:36 pm Link

Photographer

Rough Hewn Images

Salem, Oregon, US

Shooting boudoir is more than just portraits.  I have been looking into it as well and found a guy on YouTube that has put out a series on what and how he does it.  Look on YouTube for Michael Sasser.  The guy is very open about his success and freely gives tips and trick about shooting boudoir.  Part of his catalog also includes interviews with other apparently successful photogs in this genre as well.  Highly recommend going through his video catalog as a starting point.

To me I see mostly standard type portraiture, well lit and not too contrasty, and that kind of flattens the image to portraits.  I have done a little in this area but have not been able to find too many models to practice with myself (have a day job) which is why I looked for tips and tricks from those that make a living, a good living, at it.  I think part of the idea behind boudoir is not only to show the person, or the parts, but to invoke emotions.  The use of light and shadow as well as the setting to show the curves and the unique form of the body is what is needed.  Varying the light, sometimes almost to bodyscape type lighting to get the forms is missing in what you have.  The photos with JodiJova show more contours than many of the others and I like them a lot, also the self portrait with the hood.  If those lighting techniques were applied to many of the others the texture of the forms would stand out better.  There are a few others that hint at the techniques as well.

Take a look at Sasser's catalog and maybe a few others to get ideas and it will enhance the concepts to practice.  From there the desire to work this area should get you off to a good start.

Apr 01 20 09:40 pm Link

Photographer

VidaLigera

Dallas, Texas, US

Thank you, actually it's funny that you mentioned him because I have been following his work for a while to try and understand better how to shoot this genre.  It has been a difficult learning process so far.  Thank you for the reply

Apr 02 20 09:31 am Link