Forums > General Industry > Average Photographer Salary in Australia

Photographer

Camera Buff

Maryborough, Queensland, Australia

Here's something that may/may not interest Australian Model Mayhem members.

https://www.payscale.com/research/AU/Jo … her/Salary

May 13 20 05:10 am Link

Photographer

Ken Marcus Studios

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

So, what are we supposed to take away from this information ?

Are you saying that photographers are underpaid?
Are you saying that photographers make a lot of money?
Are you saying that somehow the amount of money that photographers make in a year should somehow affect what a model charges for their services ?

Your post is not clear as to what your position (if any) is . . .

May 15 20 08:45 am Link

Photographer

Mark Salo

Olney, Maryland, US

How much is that per hour?

May 15 20 10:20 am Link

Photographer

Ken Marcus Studios

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Mark Salo wrote:
How much is that per hour?

$42.70 per hour for an eight hour day . . . five days a week.

However, most photographers don't work an 8 hour day . ..  they work by the assignment and the hours vary widely.

One US dollar is worth $1.56 Australian Dollar

May 15 20 11:00 am Link

Photographer

Mark Salo

Olney, Maryland, US

Ken Marcus Studios wrote:
$42.70 per hour for an eight hour day . . . five days a week.

However, most photographers don't work an 8 hour day . ..  they work by the assignment and the hours vary widely.

One US dollar is worth $1.56 Australian Dollar

Finding clients, planning, set-up, shooting, editing and retouching, making the sale to the client, book keeping, taxes, etc, all in 40 hours. Photographers in Australia are quite efficient!

May 15 20 12:20 pm Link

Photographer

Ken Marcus Studios

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Mark Salo wrote:
Finding clients, planning, set-up, shooting, editing and retouching, making the sale to the client, book keeping, taxes, etc, all in 40 hours. Photographers in Australia are quite efficient!

Apparently so . . . although, it's no different for successful photographers here.

Shall we figure in how much time and money successful models spend, just to 'look beautiful' and keep in shape?

May 15 20 12:41 pm Link

Photographer

Mark Salo

Olney, Maryland, US

I'm just wondering how much time Aussie photographers have to work to earn that AU$54,392.

May 15 20 02:56 pm Link

Photographer

Eric212Grapher

Saint Louis, Missouri, US

Camera Buff wrote:
Here's something that may/may not interest Australian Model Mayhem members.

https://www.payscale.com/research/AU/Jo … her/Salary

What I found most informative from the link:

from the article wrote:
Related Job Salaries

Receptionist

Get yourself a camera, and you, too, can smile at clients coming into an office to hire someone else

May 15 20 05:20 pm Link

Photographer

Camera Buff

Maryborough, Queensland, Australia

The topic is about the salaries of ‘average’ photographers, not ‘successful’ photographers.
How much does the ‘average’ photographer make in the United States?

It’s unclear to me why questions relating to model charges and expenses have been raised in a topic about photographer salaries.

I wouldn’t imagine that photographing models is a primary source of income for the ‘average’ photographer. Where I'm located there are no professional models. However here is a link about Australian Model Payment & Rates  https://www.aussieelite.com/news/model-payment-rates

For me, photography makes an excellent hobby, but I’ve never wanted to be a small town, self-employed, wedding and family portrait photographer.

May 15 20 09:08 pm Link

Photographer

Rob Photosby

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia

The link quotes a range of $41K to $82K as covering 80% of photographers, with a median of $54K, so we know that most photographers are paid $54K or less, which, in Australia, would be insufficient to properly support a family.

So we could infer that photographers are not well paid, which should not surprise anyone because photography is like most artistic matters in that an awful lot of people have a good eye and can make fairly good photographs, so only the truly exceptional are likely to be able to make much of a living from it.

However, we probably need to be cautious about taking the data at face value.  The only people in the world who really know how much photographers are paid work in the  Aust Taxation Office (think IRS) and they are not telling.

May 22 20 07:14 pm Link

Photographer

Orlando Sydney

Sydney, New South Wales, Australia

Photographer average income in Australia can be a little meaningless at times and 'photographer' can be all sorts of sub genres. In my circles not much income is derived from model shoots, which differs from other points of view. I tried to simplify prices / incomes on this page https://orlandosydney.com/photography-prices-rates/ . Tried to keep it to 1 page (over 3000 words and graphs) and still haven't covered it well enough. The rates (which has a direct impact on average incomes) are all pre lock down. Will that be the average in 2021? I'd be happy if so.
Weddings and events had good income potential. Family portraits would be another. Advertising photography for the few who manage to get regular mainstream magazine and online work. Then there's product photography with a wide gamut of potential incomes.
Looking only at payscales doesn't tell you much

Jul 18 20 07:15 pm Link

Photographer

Robert Thivierge

Thunder Bay, Ontario, Canada

It seems this thread was entirely detached from the original link, as it conflates salary of employees with business income of self-employed people.

Most photographers can't make a business enough regular revenue to warrant employment.
Most who can make enough for a business to justify employment, would want to run their own business.
So, some (a very tiny number) of those in the middle get jobs, and earn a middle income.

Jul 20 20 09:58 am Link