Forums > General Industry > Custodian of Records -- Where can I find one?

Photographer

Ideal Portraits SD

Rapid City, South Dakota, US

EDIT:
Apparently my original google searches were trash. I just tried again and I found some right away.

New question: Can anyone suggest a custodian of records that charges less than $20/mo?

-----
Original message:
Would you point me to some people or organizations that serve as custodians of records? And about how much do they charge? Note: This is for 18 USC 2257 record keeping.

May 20 20 09:39 am Link

Photographer

John Jebbia

Phoenix, Arizona, US

I think this is the one I used in the past. It looks like it's right on the money of $20/mo if you pay for the annual plan..

https://www.2257snap.com/

May 23 20 04:37 am Link

Photographer

Ken Marcus Studios

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Ideal Portraits SD wrote:
New question: Can anyone suggest a custodian of records that charges less than $20/mo?

Ask yourself this . . . how much would You charge someone to be their custodian of records, and have the responsibility of keeping their paperwork in proper order so they don't end up in prison for 5+ years ?

If you'd do it for less than 100 bucks a month, I might hire you, but you'd have to be insured and bonded (which might cost you more than what you'd make)

Seriously . . . tell us what you think that responsibility is worth in your opinion ? ?

May 24 20 06:24 pm Link

Photographer

Dan Howell

New York, New York, US

Do you even have a commercial outlet for that kind of content? Due to the level of your questions in this forum, it strikes me that you don't or are making assumptions about a market that doesn't exist. If $20/month challenge your bottom line you might want to rethink the pursuit.

May 25 20 01:12 pm Link

Photographer

S W I N S K E Y

Saint Petersburg, Florida, US

why do you even care about 2257?...are you asking for a friend?

May 26 20 11:34 am Link

Photographer

S W I N S K E Y

Photographer

S W I N S K E Y

Photographer

S W I N S K E Y

woo-hoo,  three for the price of one.

May 26 20 11:35 am Link

Photographer

Fleming Design

Hartford, Connecticut, US

So Ideal, should we assume that you have now graduated from college and that the most fundamental decisions you are facing are where to live and how to earn a living?  Those are tough decisions for many millions of people even in less chaotic times.  Good luck.

May 26 20 02:54 pm Link

Photographer

Dan Howell

New York, New York, US

S W I N S K E Y wrote:

Especially when his profile states that he does not shoot nudes.

May 26 20 06:03 pm Link

Photographer

Vector One Photography

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US

If $20.00 is too expensive to keep you out of jail then there are bigger issues. And have you thought of just doing it yourself ?

May 27 20 06:18 pm Link

Photographer

Ken Marcus Studios

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

The OP hasn't been online here in over a week . . . . waste of time trying to help someone like that

KM

May 27 20 06:51 pm Link

Photographer

Ideal Portraits SD

Ken Marcus Studios wrote:
The OP hasn't been online here in over a week . . . . waste of time trying to help someone like that

KM

That's harsh. It took three days for someone to reply, so I wouldn't have thought anyone was ever going to. Rather than watch a dead thread like a hawk, I checked casually (now). Do you not think that's fair?

And note: I got logged out, so my last-online-date was probably reported incorrectly.

May 31 20 01:08 pm Link

Photographer

Ideal Portraits SD

Vector One Photography wrote:
If $20.00 is too expensive to keep you out of jail then there are bigger issues. And have you thought of just doing it yourself ?

I didn't say that. We could say that $600 is not too expensive to keep me out of jail, but would I be wrong for asking if I can do it for $580?

I can't understand the hostility in this thread. Spending $20/mo is fine, but I'm thrifty and I don't know the market; maybe some other reputable company does it for less. If not, that's fine.

I did think of doing it myself, but the effective house arrest for seven years is too problematic. I want to be able to leave home for a week at a time.

Dan Howell wrote:

I do not currently shoot nudes because I do not yet have a custodian.

Dan Howell wrote:
Do you even have a commercial outlet for that kind of content? Due to the level of your questions in this forum, it strikes me that you don't or are making assumptions about a market that doesn't exist. If $20/month challenge your bottom line you might want to rethink the pursuit.

I don't expect to earn money from this. It will probably be just a hobby, but it would be nice if I could commercialize it.

Ken Marcus Studios wrote:
Ask yourself this . . . how much would You charge someone to be their custodian of records, and have the responsibility of keeping their paperwork in proper order so they don't end up in prison for 5+ years ?

If you'd do it for less than 100 bucks a month, I might hire you, but you'd have to be insured and bonded (which might cost you more than what you'd make)

Seriously . . . tell us what you think that responsibility is worth in your opinion ? ?

See my first comment in this post.

John Jebbia  wrote:
I think this is the one I used in the past. It looks like it's right on the money of $20/mo if you pay for the annual plan..

https://www.2257snap.com/

How was your experience with them?

May 31 20 01:13 pm Link

Photographer

Dan Howell

New York, New York, US

Dan Howell wrote:

I do not currently shoot nudes because I do not yet have a custodian.

I don't expect to earn money from this. It will probably be just a hobby, but it would be nice if I could commercialize it.

I'm not going to frame this as advice (especially since you don't seem to want to actually take it), but I would wager that you are literally the only photographer ever to not begin shooting adult content because they haven't established an account with a third party custodian. Congratulations?

You are putting the cart before the horse, much like neophyte photographers who refuse to start shooting until they get an agent to represent them. It's about that logical. I have shot and published more of that content than you ever could and done it without a third party custodian. You seem to see it as a requirement and you aren't even in the game. So you apparently know more than all of us, so let's end this thread here.

May 31 20 05:52 pm Link

Photographer

Ideal Portraits SD

Dan Howell wrote:
so let's end this thread here.

You're welcome to cease posting here; you don't have to announce it.

May 31 20 07:36 pm Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

You're welcome to cease posting here; you don't have to announce it.

You don't get it!

May 31 20 08:15 pm Link