Forums > Photography Talk > Is MM dead?

Photographer

neoracer

Kent, Washington, US

I haven't been on here much but tried my luck and contacted about 6 models to shoot..no reply not even a message read. I tagged a few front pages too. Do they even use MM anymore? How are people getting talent to shoot with? Is it all IG? That's even worse as models are swamped with DMs so they never read those either.

Jun 09 20 09:18 am Link

Photographer

SayCheeZ!

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Similar thing here.  I could see why they won't respond if ya have a shitty portfolio, but yours is pretty damned good!

There are several models/friends on MM that I shoot with fairly often.  Most haven't logged in for several months.  The formerly often asked question "What's your MM number?" has been totally replaced by "What's your IG?"  None of 'em mention MM at all.

I'd like to see MM require members to log in to see the messages, that way we can tell if they've been read and ignored or if they haven't been read at all.  I think too many members just read 'em in the email and are too lazy and narcissistic to bother replying.  In any case that I don't receive a timely response I just block 'em so I don't ever have to deal with 'em again.

Jun 09 20 09:50 am Link

Photographer

IMAGINERIES

New York, New York, US

neoracer wrote:
I haven't been on here much but tried my luck and contacted about 6 models to shoot..no reply not even a message read. I tagged a few front pages too. Do they even use MM anymore? How are people getting talent to shoot with? Is it all IG? That's even worse as models are swamped with DMs so they never read those either.

Right now, because of the pandemic, nothing  can happen. When and if things are to go back normal you may get some models in need of money....In any case MM was on it's "last leg" way before this happened. Should IG give the option to let models give their general location, Sate or City and you could do a search of the models with in reasonable distance of you location, Model Mayhem would be history

Jun 09 20 09:53 am Link

Photographer

John Jebbia

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Your best bet with MM these days is to just use the Travel/Availability notices to contact models you're interested in working with. They're actively seeking work, so they're more likely to respond.

Jun 09 20 10:30 am Link

Photographer

John Jebbia

Phoenix, Arizona, US

IMAGINERIES wrote:
Right now, because of the pandemic, nothing  can happen. When and if things are to go back normal you may get some models in need of money....In any case MM was on it's "last leg" way before this happened. Should IG give the option to let models give their general location, Sate or City and you could do a search of the models with in reasonable distance of you location, Model Mayhem would be history

I predict that models will return when unemployment runs out.

Jun 09 20 10:31 am Link

Photographer

Shadow Dancer

Bellingham, Washington, US

I am in touch with a couple of models who would like to shoot this summer.

But not right now.

Imaginaries has it right, the pandemic is engendering caution in sensible people.
Where restrictions are being loosened or ignored we are seeing an increase in infection.

This is not even close to being over. That said, it should be possible to have a safe shoot outdoors as long as all participants maintain distance and bring their own everything.
I will want new tires on the vehicle and possibly the Garmin update for Canada (if the borders reopen this summer) before planning anything.

Fortunately for me, music is my main creative outlet and photography is in second place. I have plenty to do already!

Jun 09 20 10:32 am Link

Photographer

Chris Macan

HAVERTOWN, Pennsylvania, US

It's only Mostly Dead...
I get some replies to requests and half of the "verified credits" I updated last week were acknowledged and accepted.
so some people are still here.

Jun 09 20 11:19 am Link

Clothing Designer

Baanthai

Bangkok, Bangkok, Thailand

Dead as a door nail. The posts you see here are just post mortem muscle spasms.

Jun 09 20 02:25 pm Link

Photographer

MintyFreshBreath

Farmington, Michigan, US

“So the final conclusion would surely be that whereas other civilizations have been brought down by attacks of barbarians from without, ours had the unique distinction of training its own destroyers at its own educational institutions, and then providing them with facilities for propagating their destructive ideology far and wide, all at the public expense. Thus did Western Man decide to abolish himself, creating his own boredom out of his own affluence, his own vulnerability out of his own strength, his own impotence out of his own erotomania, himself blowing the trumpet that brought the walls of his own city tumbling down, and having convinced himself that he was too numerous, labored with pill and scalpel and syringe to make himself fewer. Until at last, having educated himself into imbecility, and polluted and drugged himself into stupefaction, he keeled over--a weary, battered old brontosaurus--and became extinct.”

Jun 09 20 06:39 pm Link

Photographer

neoracer

Kent, Washington, US

Well thanks! I don't know where I stand I've had someone call my work trash and others just totally indifferent about it but MM has been like this even before the covid happened it hasn't changed much. Even on IG its extremely hard to contact legitimately to set up shoots. I have some regular models I work with but its nice to change it up sometimes too. Thanks for the reply!

SayCheeZ!  wrote:
Similar thing here.  I could see why they won't respond if ya have a shitty portfolio, but yours is pretty damned good!

There are several models/friends on MM that I shoot with fairly often.  Most haven't logged in for several months.  The formerly often asked question "What's your MM number?" has been totally replaced by "What's your IG?"  None of 'em mention MM at all.

I'd like to see MM require members to log in to see the messages, that way we can tell if they've been read and ignored or if they haven't been read at all.  I think too many members just read 'em in the email and are too lazy and narcissistic to bother replying.  In any case that I don't receive a timely response I just block 'em so I don't ever have to deal with 'em again.

Jun 09 20 08:09 pm Link

Photographer

neoracer

Kent, Washington, US

That sounds about right...lol

Baanthai wrote:
Dead as a door nail. The posts you see here are just post mortem muscle spasms.

Jun 09 20 08:10 pm Link

Photographer

neoracer

Kent, Washington, US

I've done a shoot outside and it went well as I'm usually not close to the models in any case so it wasn't a problem but its good at least you have something else to do!

Shadow Dancer wrote:
I am in touch with a couple of models who would like to shoot this summer.

But not right now.

Imaginaries has it right, the pandemic is engendering caution in sensible people.
Where restrictions are being loosened or ignored we are seeing an increase in infection.

This is not even close to being over. That said, it should be possible to have a safe shoot outdoors as long as all participants maintain distance and bring their own everything.
I will want new tires on the vehicle and possibly the Garmin update for Canada (if the borders reopen this summer) before planning anything.

Fortunately for me, music is my main creative outlet and photography is in second place. I have plenty to do already!

Jun 09 20 08:11 pm Link

Photographer

rowdan2020

Aiken, South Carolina, US

There are exceptions:  Jamie Bauern, for one, who I thought had retired, once and for all last Spring, is now promoting her latest tour on IG.  She obviously wants work and, I suspect, needs the income.

Jun 10 20 08:27 am Link

Photographer

63fotos

Alhambra, California, US

rowdan2020 wrote:
There are exceptions:  Jamie Bauern, for one, who I thought had retired, once and for all last Spring, is now promoting her latest tour on IG.  She obviously wants work and, I suspect, needs the income.

Jamie is a great model. One of the best. I am fortunate to have worked with her five or six times.
I believe, that because of the pandemic, she is postponing her retirement.

Jun 10 20 09:39 am Link

Photographer

tcphoto

Nashville, Tennessee, US

MM dead? It's died a long time ago, it's only been propped up and we've hung around to watch it decay. The pandemic is simply the final nail in the coffin. Who is going to book a model, a makeup artist and shoot anything soon? Unless you're one of those that think the 114K deaths here in the US is a hoax.

Jun 10 20 02:14 pm Link

Photographer

Camera Buff

Maryborough, Queensland, Australia

"Don't it always seem to go ... that you don't know what you've got till it's gone!" - Joni Mitchell (Big Yellow Taxi - 1970)

For me, the life or death of Model Mayhem is not dependant on being able to source models.

I've surfed the internet well enough to realise that what Model Mayhem has to offer by way of a platform on which serious creatives are able to showcase their talent and artistry makes it a unique, relevant and fit-for-purpose website.

Not every photographer, model, etc. wants to post their images on public internet sites such as Facebook, Instagram and the like.

Jun 10 20 09:59 pm Link

Photographer

Shot By Adam

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

neoracer wrote:
I haven't been on here much but tried my luck and contacted about 6 models to shoot..no reply not even a message read. I tagged a few front pages too. Do they even use MM anymore?

Your question would have been better asked five years ago. Today, yes, MM is pretty much dead. It's a very small fraction of what it was years ago.

Jun 13 20 02:03 pm Link

Photographer

Chuckarelei

Seattle, Washington, US

Camera Buff wrote:
Not every photographer, model, etc. wants to post their images on public internet sites such as Facebook, Instagram and the like.

MM IS a public website like Facebook, Instagram and the like.

Where does it tell you that MM is a private exclusive site? Unless there is something I am missing or I got left out of the club.

Jun 13 20 02:14 pm Link

Photographer

Camera Buff

Chuckarelei wrote:
MM IS a public website like Facebook, Instagram and the like.

Where does it tell you that MM is a private exclusive site? Unless there is something I am missing or I got left out of the club.

Did you have to meet any specific conditions before you were granted membership to Model Mayhem?

Maybe I'm mistaken, but I thought Model Mayhem was supposedly exclusive to Photographers, Models, Artists, Stylists, Designers, Make-up Artists, Retouchers, etc.

No doubt there are also a small number of fake members who lied in order to receive their memberships.

In Settings!
Profile Privacy ..... Members Only (i.e. CREATIVES ONLY)
Hide Your 18+ Photos ..... ON/OFF

Jun 13 20 10:27 pm Link

Photographer

PHP-Photography

Vaasa, Ostrobothnia, Finland

Camera Buff wrote:

I don't use Facebook but I understand that one could hide pictures from non friends ?

Instagram account can be private.

Jun 13 20 10:34 pm Link

Photographer

Camera Buff

PHP-Photography wrote:
I don't use Facebook but I understand that one could hide pictures from non friends ?

Instagram account can be private.

Yes, members are able to hide pictures on sites like Facebook and I guess Instagram. Those models who have specifically asked me not to post their pictures on my Facebook page have been a local School Teacher, Ballet Teacher, Police Detective and a Bank Manager.

They are not necessarily wanting to hide their images, in fact the exact opposite is true. They simply wish to exercise some discretion/control as to the type of audience they wish to show their images.

Rightly or wrongly, I expect they believe that the members of sites such as Model Mayhem are a like minded group of creatives who better appreciate, understand and respect the moral and legal rights of other members, especially with regard to the unauthorised use of images.

IMO Model Mayhem is still a stand-out site. It offers members many features and benefits that still make it relevant to use, either alone or in conjunction with sites like Instagram.

Perhaps those members who complain and ask if Model Mayhem is at the point of death should close their accounts.  Maybe then they'll better understand my opening statement "Don't it always seem to go ... that you don't know what you've got till it's gone!"

Jun 14 20 08:40 pm Link

Photographer

Chuckarelei

Seattle, Washington, US

Camera Buff wrote:
Did you have to meet any specific conditions before you were granted membership to Model Mayhem?
Maybe I'm mistaken, but I thought Model Mayhem was supposedly exclusive to Photographers, Models, Artists, Stylists, Designers, Make-up Artists, Retouchers, etc.
No doubt there are also a small number of fake members who lied in order to receive their memberships.
In Settings!
Profile Privacy ..... Members Only (i.e. CREATIVES ONLY)
Hide Your 18+ Photos ..... ON/OFF

Condition to be on MM; well as long as you said you are one of those you mentioned, you are IN. There is no verification or certification process. Just like IG, FB, you can say whatever you are, half space alien, half gold fish. There is no verification and you are in. Even with age is such a sensitive criteria, you tell what you are. No need to prove it.

As someone already pointed out, there are private accounts in IG and closed group in FB. While on it, you can't view profiles on FB without being a member first, but not that way with MM. So it seems FB is more exclusive than MM in this case.

Jun 14 20 09:26 pm Link

Photographer

R.EYE.R

Tokyo, Tokyo, Japan

Yes

Jun 14 20 11:27 pm Link

Photographer

PHP-Photography

Vaasa, Ostrobothnia, Finland

Camera Buff wrote:
No doubt there are also a small number of fake members

I'm sure small number gets thru but a bigger number gets caught when they try to join.

Jun 14 20 11:33 pm Link

Photographer

SayCheeZ!

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Camera Buff wrote:

Chuckarelei wrote:
Condition to be on MM; well as long as you said you are one of those you mentioned, you are IN. There is no verification or certification process. Just like IG, FB, you can say whatever you are, half space alien, half gold fish. There is no verification and you are in. Even with age is such a sensitive criteria, you tell what you are. No need to prove it.

Well, not 100% true.
Verification goes on quietly behind the scenes.

While a vast majority of the new members appear to be legit and don't really need to be checked out more thoroughly, there is a significant number of profiles that come through that need further investigation.  Most of those profiles are investigated a bit more and usually without the knowledge of the applicant.  Once in a great while event the second level of checking comes up questionable and in those circumstances a moderator or administrator may contact the individual for clarification or proof.

Even legitimate people are often rejected if their profile doesn't have the minimum requirements for a profile.  They're free to correct the situation and re-submit. 

Scammers, fakers and most liars are not able to re-submit without contacting a moderator or administrator to explain why they should be admitted.  Obviously very few scammers and fakers will take those steps.  The numbers of fakers and scammers that attempt to become members is mind boggling.  I think I've stopped something like 40 or 50 thousand fakers and scammers from continuing, and even more if we add the amount from before we started keeping count.

We typically verify that the person is real and fits under the category that they've chosen.  We don't verify things like their size, weight, hair color, experience levels or their age (unless they're minors saying they're 18 or over).

Jun 15 20 12:12 am Link

Photographer

Angel House Portraits

Orlando, Florida, US

neoracer wrote:

I met a few before the pandemic hit. These were at group events. I still have them on my IG. They seem to be at work even in the middle of the pandemic. I haven't tried to contact them but I also don't expect them to work for free. There is one organizer which was active in putting together group shoots. She has one for July but even then its up in the air. I personally wonder if doing temperature checks should be done. Just now a Orlando bar closed because the employees got the virus. Most likely someone with the virus came into the business and infected the employees. Its not over by all stretch of the imagination.

Jun 15 20 08:12 am Link

Photographer

Chuckarelei

Seattle, Washington, US

SayCheeZ!  wrote:
Well, not 100% true.
Verification goes on quietly behind the scenes.

While a vast majority of the new members appear to be legit and don't really need to be checked out more thoroughly, there is a significant number of profiles that come through that need further investigation.  Most of those profiles are investigated a bit more and usually without the knowledge of the applicant.  Once in a great while event the second level of checking comes up questionable and in those circumstances a moderator or administrator may contact the individual for clarification or proof.

Even legitimate people are often rejected if their profile doesn't have the minimum requirements for a profile.  They're free to correct the situation and re-submit. 

Scammers, fakers and most liars are not able to re-submit without contacting a moderator or administrator to explain why they should be admitted.  Obviously very few scammers and fakers will take those steps.  The numbers of fakers and scammers that attempt to become members is mind boggling.  I think I've stopped something like 40 or 50 thousand fakers and scammers from continuing, and even more if we add the amount from before we started keeping count.

We typically verify that the person is real and fits under the category that they've chosen.  We don't verify things like their size, weight, hair color, experience levels or their age (unless they're minors saying they're 18 or over).

How do you know they are not minors when you don't check and verify their age?

Jun 15 20 10:42 am Link

Photographer

Exposed Beauty Imaging

Glendale, Arizona, US

Not dead, but on life support.  The "I want it now" nature FB and IG have supplanted the attraction of a portfolio for models.  And it's all about the following.   

But the policies and moderators here have turned away a lot of the real photographer talent.

Jun 15 20 12:45 pm Link

Photographer

WIP

Cheltenham, England, United Kingdom

They may well be all doing selfies for OnlyFans....self isolation.

Jun 18 20 04:07 pm Link

Photographer

FIFTYONE PHOTOGRAPHY

Uniontown, Pennsylvania, US

SayCheeZ!  wrote:
[snip]

lol  I would have agreed... 3 Months ago.   

bts things have changed.

Camera Buff wrote:
Rightly or wrongly, I expect they believe that the members of sites such as Model Mayhem are a like minded group of creatives who better appreciate, understand and respect the moral and legal rights of other members, especially with regard to the unauthorised use of images.

I believe this was one of the original intentions, now a diluted version.

Exposed Beauty Imaging wrote:
But the policies and moderators here have turned away a lot of the real photographer talent.

I can't disagree.

WIP wrote:
They may well be all doing selfies for OnlyFans....self isolation.

The right site at the right time, twice!   Once when nudity became an issue and now with the Global pandemic... luck o' the Irish.

Some Models have a very strong Selfie (self shot image) game, for personal reasons many prefer to shoot this way.  Gear manufacturers are taking notes and providing them with the tools to succeed.

Jun 19 20 02:56 am Link

Photographer

Paolo D Photography

San Francisco, California, US

John Jebbia  wrote:
Your best bet with MM these days is to just use the Travel/Availability notices to contact models you're interested in working with. They're actively seeking work, so they're more likely to respond.

this.

I've been working with models i know, and then their model friends.
getting bookings by word of mouth. ironically they have profiles here that if i messaged them they might not check.

Jun 25 20 10:28 pm Link

Photographer

Mark Salo

Olney, Maryland, US

neoracer wrote:
Do they even use MM anymore?

Yes, MM is a valuable resource where people can ask questions about IG.

Jun 27 20 05:43 am Link

Photographer

Green Wave Photo 312

Chicago, Illinois, US

Well let's see... a site for linking photographers and models where as a photographer when you search for a model and find one that fits the job... you can't contact them! Lol

No wait, I'll just tell my client... well I sent this model a friend request, just waiting to hear back. If I don't hear from her by tomorrow I'll put a tag on her wall. She hasn't been on the site for three weeks so let's keep our fingers crossed.

The sad part is, Insta has lot's of talent but the search sucks. MM has great search in the network but the talent pool is not engaged. Wish there was a hybrid of the two.

Jun 27 20 10:13 pm Link

Photographer

Ivan123

Arlington, Virginia, US

It seems that people have very different experiences.  Much of the talk about MM's being "dead" is that the forums aren't active, but I have shot tons of models from MM over the last 15 years and never, ever seen one post on the forums.  They are modeling.  (Also, true, the forums used to be hilarious and fun and aren't anymore but that is because MM came along before there were a hundred different other formats available.  Not sure what the forums have to do with anything anymore--but here I am!)  Every year, usually in the Fall (admittedly probably not THIS Fall) and sometimes in the Spring I put up a notice for models for the artsy-fartsy figure studies I do and I always get more replies than I am able to shoot.  The IP doesn't say what he is offering.  Pay?  Type of work?  Location?   Maybe work on your introductory letter?  I don't know, but MM works far better for me than any alternative.  Mainly because it allows geographic searches.  I also can't help but notice that all the complaints about how "dead" MM is come from photographers complaining that they are not getting responses from models but very often a model who offers an opinion on the forums gets shut down, often rudely.  (Please note that 95% of the posts on the "Model" forum are by photographers; models no longer bother to participate.)  If that sort of behavior occurs off-line in the messages (and of course I don't know what goes on in private messages), then perhaps after a series of bad reactions they learn to say nothing rather than say No.  Not to say anything against any individual here, just that after a dozen bad experiences in general, a normal person stops trying to be polite.  When I get sales calls, I don't say "thank you very much for calling, but I'm not interested," I just hang up on them.  Anyway, for me, MM is a great source of models, many of them outstanding.

Jun 29 20 08:01 pm Link

Photographer

Ivan123

Arlington, Virginia, US

OK, so I am wandering the forums after posting the above that included the bit about how the "models" forum is dominated by photographers, then I go over there, find essentially the identical complaint at the top of the list, 46 replies, one was from a model.

Jun 29 20 08:19 pm Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

Ivan123 wrote:
It seems that people have very different experiences.  Much of the talk about MM's being "dead" is that the forums aren't active, but I have shot tons of models from MM over the last 15 years and never, ever seen one post on the forums.  They are modeling.  (Also, true, the forums used to be hilarious and fun and aren't anymore but that is because MM came along before there were a hundred different other formats available.  Not sure what the forums have to do with anything anymore--but here I am!)  Every year, usually in the Fall (admittedly probably not THIS Fall) and sometimes in the Spring I put up a notice for models for the artsy-fartsy figure studies I do and I always get more replies than I am able to shoot.  The IP doesn't say what he is offering.  Pay?  Type of work?  Location?   Maybe work on your introductory letter?  I don't know, but MM works far better for me than any alternative.  Mainly because it allows geographic searches.  I also can't help but notice that all the complaints about how "dead" MM is come from photographers complaining that they are not getting responses from models but very often a model who offers an opinion on the forums gets shut down, often rudely.  (Please note that 95% of the posts on the "Model" forum are by photographers; models no longer bother to participate.)  If that sort of behavior occurs off-line in the messages (and of course I don't know what goes on in private messages), then perhaps after a series of bad reactions they learn to say nothing rather than say No.  Not to say anything against any individual here, just that after a dozen bad experiences in general, a normal person stops trying to be polite.  When I get sales calls, I don't say "thank you very much for calling, but I'm not interested," I just hang up on them.  Anyway, for me, MM is a great source of models, many of them outstanding.

Models have a private forum that you cannot see.

Jun 30 20 07:39 am Link

Photographer

Ivan123

Arlington, Virginia, US

Jerry Nemeth wrote:
Models have a private forum that you cannot see.

I didn't realize.  That's great!  But it really should be possible for the photographers to read but not respond.  Then the models and complain about the photographers and the photographers would just have to fume and burst gaskets.  That would be better.

Jun 30 20 06:10 pm Link

Admin

Model Mayhem Edu

Los Angeles, California, US

Green Wave Photo 312 wrote:
Well let's see... a site for linking photographers and models where as a photographer when you search for a model and find one that fits the job... you can't contact them! Lol

No wait, I'll just tell my client... well I sent this model a friend request, just waiting to hear back. If I don't hear from her by tomorrow I'll put a tag on her wall. She hasn't been on the site for three weeks so let's keep our fingers crossed.

We offer three types of membership levels to suit different needs.

Basic (free) membership is often enough for hobbyists, beginners, and/or photographers that don't shoot often or with deadlines from clients.

Premium membership adds a number of features, including out-of-network 100-messages per month, for just $6/month (or the equivalent of $5/month if you pay for a year).

VIP membership adds even more features, including unlimited messages, for $10/month (or the equivalent of $8.33/month if you pay for a year).

In addition, we often do promotional campaigns that offer Premium, and occasionally VIP, memberships at discounted rates.

We feel these membership plans are very affordable for a professional photographer using Model Mayhem to book models for paying clients.
https://www.modelmayhem.com/upgrade

Jul 01 20 09:57 am Link

Photographer

Robert Mossack

Joplin, Missouri, US

Sadly, MM has gone the way of One Model Place. It's still there, but it's on life support. I keep my port active, but mostly because i'm a legacy member, and so I can read the forums.

Jul 02 20 10:24 am Link

Photographer

Green Wave Photo 312

Chicago, Illinois, US

Model Mayhem Edu wrote:

We offer three types of membership levels to suit different needs.

Basic (free) membership is often enough for hobbyists, beginners, and/or photographers that don't shoot often or with deadlines from clients.

Premium membership adds a number of features, including out-of-network 100-messages per month, for just $6/month (or the equivalent of $5/month if you pay for a year).

VIP membership adds even more features, including unlimited messages, for $10/month (or the equivalent of $8.33/month if you pay for a year).

In addition, we often do promotional campaigns that offer Premium, and occasionally VIP, memberships at discounted rates.

We feel these membership plans are very affordable for a professional photographer using Model Mayhem to book models for paying clients.
https://www.modelmayhem.com/upgrade

When a casting is posted, can talent that has a free account respond to the casting when the photographer has a free account too? If they aren't already "friends" or "connected" I mean.

I'd never considered that after posting a casting on MM only talent with a premium membership could respond without having already friended me.

Jul 02 20 06:52 pm Link